2016-2017 Offseason Thread

Moderator: ijspeelman

Rise Against
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 73

2016-2017 Offseason Thread 

Post#1 » by Rise Against » Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:07 am

So what should the Cavs do this offseason, if anything. Discuss it all here.
FrontPageNews
Starter
And1: 1,474

Re: 2016 Offseason Thread 

Post#2 » by FrontPageNews » Tue Jun 21, 2016 1:37 pm

Need to find a Richard Jefferson and moz replacement. Hopefully we can replace moz with someone who doesn't cover their hands in butter before every game.

RJ might be hard. But there's a few vets out there. Maybe someone like Matt Barnes.
B Mac
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 540

Post#3 » by B Mac » Tue Jun 21, 2016 2:11 pm

Bigs:
Larry Sanders
Pau Gasol
David West

Wings:
Jared Dudley
Vince Carter
Matt Barnes

Id keep my eye on those guys.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,688

Post#4 » by jbk1234 » Tue Jun 21, 2016 5:06 pm

B Mac wrote:Bigs:
Larry Sanders
Pau Gasol
David West

Wings:
Jared Dudley
Vince Carter
Matt Barnes

Pau or Dudley would come for the mini MLE? That's surprising.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
kenneth9265
Head Coach
And1: 9

Post#5 » by kenneth9265 » Tue Jun 21, 2016 5:21 pm

Larry Sanders
Pau Gasol
David West

Wings:
Jared Dudley
Vince Carter
Matt Barnes

Pau Gasol would be the only one that I would interested in Cleveland but...

1. Is a free agent?
2. Which players would the Cavs have to give up for him?
FrontPageNews
Starter

Post#6 » by FrontPageNews » Tue Jun 21, 2016 6:22 pm

Larry Sanders
Pau Gasol
David West

Wings:
Jared Dudley
Vince Carter
Matt Barnes

If sanders has his head on straight he would make us down right scary.

Wouldn't mind gasol. He's terrible on defense except blocking shots. But we do need a shot blocker. And he's one of the best offensive bigs ever. He's still got it. I heard rumor earlier this year that Chicago would give him a 2 year 40M deal. Would be shocking to see him take much much less here.

Hell yes to Dudley. One of the best 3 and D players out there. Great small ball 4. And fantastic character. Probably will have much larger offers out there though. I can see GS going after him if Barnes leaves.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,688

Re: 2016-2017 Offseason Thread 

Post#7 » by jbk1234 » Wed Jun 22, 2016 3:15 pm

Good news IMO:

[tweet]https://twitter.com/andrewperloff/status/745614696858927104[/tweet]
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
CavsChamps
Ballboy
And1: 2

Post#8 » by CavsChamps » Thu Jun 23, 2016 7:51 am

We don't have draft picks :(
Logicjbr
Rookie
And1: 86

Post#9 » by Logicjbr » Thu Jun 23, 2016 2:18 pm

Just a curious question.

When talking about fixing Nets, I have this trade idea that I think works out for both teams. Think it should've happened before trade deadline.

Nets Trade: Brook Lopez, Thaddeus Young
Cavs Trade: Kevin Love, Mozgov, MWilliams

Nets: They move 2 lengthy contracts and get a star in Love. Whatever pic they end up getting for TYoung, I'm sure wont ever turn out to be of KLove caliber.
Cavs: They essentially keep a kevin love lite in TYoung and add a post scoring threat in the post - which they definitely need. It really cant be just Lebron & Kyrie trying to create off the dribble every possession. I doubt that works next year.
FrontPageNews
Starter

Post#10 » by FrontPageNews » Fri Jun 24, 2016 3:25 am

I'm upset we couldn't get in on that ibaka deal. He would have been the perfect fit. He and TT would have complemented each other perfectly. Then if you needed 3 point shooting you play he and Frye together and let ibaka anchor the defense. Man would have been nice.
kurtis48239
General Manager
And1: 1,056

Post#11 » by kurtis48239 » Fri Jun 24, 2016 4:27 am

DeT fan here,wanted to say congrats on taking Felder,thats who I wanted at 18 for Detroit.high floor high ceiling,kid checks off all the boxes,plays like he's 6'5,2nd highest vert in combine history.can shoot,handle,quick,basicly 2016 Isiah Thomas with more athleticism and can play defense.

Wouldn't be surprised to see in a couple years time Felder go top 10 in a re-draft.
dreamshake
Starter
And1: 2,465

Post#12 » by dreamshake » Fri Jun 24, 2016 9:04 am

FrontPageNews wrote:I'm upset we couldn't get in on that ibaka deal. He would have been the perfect fit. He and TT would have complemented each other perfectly. Then if you needed 3 point shooting you play he and Frye together and let ibaka anchor the defense. Man would have been nice.

Orlando overpaid by a lot for him. I wouldn't want to try and top their offer.
FrontPageNews
Starter

Post#13 » by FrontPageNews » Fri Jun 24, 2016 12:34 pm

dreamshake wrote:
FrontPageNews wrote:I'm upset we couldn't get in on that ibaka deal. He would have been the perfect fit. He and TT would have complemented each other perfectly. Then if you needed 3 point shooting you play he and Frye together and let ibaka anchor the defense. Man would have been nice.

Just straight up for love. Ibaka fits better than love. He doesn't need to touch the ball to make an impact. His play on defense is enough.
B Mac
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 540

Post#14 » by B Mac » Fri Jun 24, 2016 1:10 pm

FrontPageNews wrote:
dreamshake wrote:

Just straight up for love. Ibaka fits better than love. He doesn't need to touch the ball to make an impact. His play on defense is enough.

Pretty hard to trade with another legit contender. It may or may not have been briefly discussed though. ;)
FrontPageNews
Starter

Post#15 » by FrontPageNews » Fri Jun 24, 2016 2:54 pm

B Mac wrote:
FrontPageNews wrote:
dreamshake wrote:

Pretty hard to trade with another legit contender. It may or may not have been briefly discussed though. ;)

I mean.. We did trade with them last year..

Maybe trading withen your conference is hard. But it doesn't appear to be hard to trade out of conference.
dreamshake
Starter
And1: 2,465

Post#16 » by dreamshake » Fri Jun 24, 2016 5:39 pm

FrontPageNews wrote:
B Mac wrote:
FrontPageNews wrote:

I mean.. We did trade with them last year..

Maybe trading withen your conference is hard. But it doesn't appear to be hard to trade out of conference.

I don't think there's any chance OKC takes that trade over Orlando's offer though. Love would have all the same issues in OKC that he has here - being the 3rd offensive option doesn't give him enough value to offset his defense. They've also realized they're best with Durant at the 4 just like we are with LBJ. The Orlando trade clears the way for more minutes for KD at the 4 (along with more minutes for Adams/Kanter together when they go big) and more importantly addresses their need for a wing defender who isn't useless on the offensive end. And they still get a capable stretch 4 to come off the bench. It's just a much better offer from their perspective than Love.
KuruptedCav
Analyst
And1: 1,126

Post#17 » by KuruptedCav » Fri Jun 24, 2016 7:52 pm

You'll be happy the Cavs weren't the team to overpay for him. He's been in decline since the injury. Look at his trends:
Blocks have declined 5 straight years
Rebounds have declined 3 straight years
Points have declined 3 straight years
3pt shooting % declined 3 straight years
Win-Shares declined 4 straight years
+/-/100 poss declined 5 straight years
ORtg declined 4 straight years
DRtg declined 5 straight years (from 98 to 105)

He's still a productive player, but you always want to pay for tomorrow's performance, not yesterday's performance.
FrontPageNews
Starter

Post#18 » by FrontPageNews » Fri Jun 24, 2016 8:07 pm

KuruptedCav wrote:

You'll be happy the Cavs weren't the team to overpay for him. He's been in decline since the injury. Look at his trends:

He's still a productive player, but you always want to pay for tomorrow's performance, not yesterday's performance.

Even a declining ibaka would be a better fit than Love and a better defender than Love.

Ibakas shooting would improve it he got the wide open shots Love does.
KuruptedCav
Analyst
And1: 1,126

Post#19 » by KuruptedCav » Fri Jun 24, 2016 8:35 pm

FrontPageNews wrote:
KuruptedCav wrote:

Even a declining ibaka would be a better fit than Love and a better defender than Love.

Ibakas shooting would improve it he got the wide open shots Love does.

For how long? 2 years?

I question that playing off Durant/Westbrook results in materially different opportunities than playing off James/Irving.

I'd also have been happy with a Kevin Love for Oladipo/Ilyslava/Sabonis trade. There is a value deficit between Love and Ibaka that the Cavs would have to fill. With limited assets, I'd be hesitant to trade Love, Osman, and 2020 #1 for Serge Ibaka knowing that his trajectory is south and in a year he'll be commanding significantly more money than Love.

If I'm pulling the trigger on a Love deal, it needs to be a play that can help carry the Cavs into Lebron's twilight.
Dupp
RealGM
And1: 66,689

Post#20 » by Dupp » Tue Jun 28, 2016 2:12 am

RJ might be playing again btw guys. He said he would but i think he might have to sit down and really think about it properly.

Larry Sanders
Pau Gasol
David West

Wings:
Jared Dudley
Vince Carter
Matt Barnes

Like all those wings and especially dudley who i know wants to play with lebron but i also think he wants one last pay day so might be unrealistic.

The bigs... ugghh... Dont have any interest in gasol. He doesnt fit our style and doesnt add anything new besides shot blocking but his awful p and r defense negates that.

West, has he got anything left? Didnt follow him last year.

Sander, sure he would be great but its a risk. If it worked out great but how motivated is he gonna be and how much of a locker room issue?

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers