ImageImageImage

ROSTER IMPROVEMENT

Moderator: ijspeelman

Babygirl_07
Ballboy
And1: 0

ROSTER IMPROVEMENT 

Post#1 » by Babygirl_07 » Fri Jun 9, 2017 12:21 pm

After seeing how the NBA is changing, and teams are loading up with multiple stars such as the Warriors. I think the Cavs should consider free agents Paul George or Klay Thompson. If it requires to release or trade players then I think it is necessary. The positive for either of these two players, it would allow the Cavs to keep at least two outstanding players on the court at all times. LeBron would play less minutes, which must be implemented next season. Leads would evaporate when LeBron heads to the bench. I like what the Cavs have done with acquiring players, but during the NBA finals the most glaring problem is exactly what LeBron said earlier in the season, the Cavs do not have enough play makers. How does this lineup sound: Kyrie, George/Thompson, Love, Tristian, and LeBron. I'm a die hard Cavs fan, and I believe a combination like this has to make the Cavs the favorite to win the 2018 NBA Championship. Look forward to you feedback. John
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,412

Re: ROSTER IMPROVEMENT 

Post#2 » by bwgood77 » Thu Jun 29, 2017 3:33 am

Babygirl_07 wrote:After seeing how the NBA is changing, and teams are loading up with multiple stars such as the Warriors. I think the Cavs should consider free agents Paul George or Klay Thompson. If it requires to release or trade players then I think it is necessary. The positive for either of these two players, it would allow the Cavs to keep at least two outstanding players on the court at all times. LeBron would play less minutes, which must be implemented next season. Leads would evaporate when LeBron heads to the bench. I like what the Cavs have done with acquiring players, but during the NBA finals the most glaring problem is exactly what LeBron said earlier in the season, the Cavs do not have enough play makers. How does this lineup sound: Kyrie, George/Thompson, Love, Tristian, and LeBron. I'm a die hard Cavs fan, and I believe a combination like this has to make the Cavs the favorite to win the 2018 NBA Championship. Look forward to you feedback. John

I think for now just focus on pure shooters, if you want to try and beat the Warriors and anyone for that matter. A guy like Ingles would be good. It's tough though being so far over the cap. You have to acquire through trade which makes it difficult because you have to give up someone. I don't think bringing in guys like Melo or Wade would help at all. I think they would hurt big time. You need pure shooters and defense.
tundraknight
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,915

Post#3 » by tundraknight » Thu Jun 29, 2017 5:43 pm

The Cavs biggest weakness is their defense. Their defense continues to decline with their old roster.

I re watched the Christmas Day game when Liggins played amazing defense on Curry. Making Curry struggle.

But Lebron wanted a "playmaker" so they got rid of Liggins and got Deron Williams who has been useless. He's pretty much washed up now.

And what happened next game against the Warriors when the Cavs no longer had Liggins? Curry went off.

Irving and Curry seem to cancel each other out since they their both excellent offensive players but bad defenders. That's why the Warriors didn't want Curry guarding Kyrie because he's not able to.

The Cavs should'nt have let Delly go instead of overpaying for JR Smith. Delly also had the defensive ability to make make Curry struggle. And is much better overall than a washed up Deron Williams. Korver has also been a disappointment. When he cant hit his outside shots, he's basically useless and yet another far below average defender.

The Cavs made a lot of mistakes with their management. This could have been one of the reasons why David Griffin was fired (although most posters on the general board say Lebron is the real GM).
HardcoreNBAer
Freshman
And1: 33

Post#4 » by HardcoreNBAer » Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:53 pm

Dan Gilbert won't let the roster improve. I wish I knew what was going through that mans head....
Dupp
RealGM
And1: 66,679

Post#5 » by Dupp » Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:28 am

This has been a disaster off season
Stillwater
RealGM
And1: 3,655

Post#6 » by Stillwater » Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:53 am

When the smoke settles and the Cav's did nothing (if that turns out to be the case), they are still the best team in the East with more than a legit chance at beating the best of the West. Whatever frustrations people have ,are not solved by changing veteran personnel. They are changed by playing younger more athletic defenders , who they had but didn't utilize.Want to blame anyone, Blame Ty Lue for trusting his rotation too much.
SUNDOWN BRINGS A WELCOME CHANGE TO EVERYTHING THAT'S HIDING
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,121

Post#7 » by jbk1234 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:34 pm

Stillwater wrote:When the smoke settles and the Cav's did nothing (if that turns out to be the case), they are still the best team in the East with more than a legit chance at beating the best of the West. Whatever frustrations people have ,are not solved by changing veteran personnel. They are changed by playing younger more athletic defenders , who they had but didn't utilize.Want to blame anyone, Blame Ty Lue for trusting his rotation too much.

There is some truth to this but I still want to know why LIggins was cut before blaming Lue for all of it. The truth is that it's hard to find good young players who aren't already on a NBA roster.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#8 » by Stillwater » Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:43 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
Stillwater wrote:When the smoke settles and the Cav's did nothing (if that turns out to be the case), they are still the best team in the East with more than a legit chance at beating the best of the West. Whatever frustrations people have ,are not solved by changing veteran personnel. They are changed by playing younger more athletic defenders , who they had but didn't utilize.Want to blame anyone, Blame Ty Lue for trusting his rotation too much.

There is some truth to this but I still want to know why LIggins was cut before blaming Lue for all of it. The truth is that it's hard to find good young players who aren't already on a NBA roster.

It was reported that they waived Liggins when they did so he could latch onto another team and still be playoff eligible. But releasing him just to create a roster spot to sign the veteran dantay jones was one of the few but very big mistakes Griffin made during his tenure in Cleveland. I assume that was not something Lue was in favor of,but you know how he likes the vets. I don't blame Lue for "all of it", but not using in the Finals what was the most efficient lineup in reg season against GSW of LBJ,RJ,Derick Williams,Frye,Korver( along with not having Liggins to plug in who was strong against GSW) has to be a coaching problem as well as a gm problem.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#9 » by Stillwater » Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:26 pm

Windy reports are usually accurate, so we could see D Rose signed soon as KI's backup off the bench. Obviously not a lot of interest anymore as he is not the same mvp caliber player since injury ,be he is still a much better option than Calderon. Too me this is a good signing for play making / scoring depth at the guard position and opens the door for unloading Felder or Shump as part of a trade deal in the future.
gflem
Analyst
And1: 276

Post#10 » by gflem » Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:31 pm

Stillwater wrote:Windy reports are usually accurate, so we could see D Rose signed soon as KI's backup off the bench. Obviously not a lot of interest anymore as he is not the same mvp caliber player since injury ,be he is still a much better option than Calderon. Too me this is a good signing for play making / scoring depth at the guard position and opens the door for unloading Felder or Shump as part of a trade deal in the future.

Was thinking the exact same thing about Felder and or Shump. The issue with Rose imo is I wonder if he can fit in with other players and not have to be the man. Only time will tell on that front.
Pipp33
Rookie
And1: 644

Post#11 » by Pipp33 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:23 am

gflem wrote:
Stillwater wrote:Windy reports are usually accurate, so we could see D Rose signed soon as KI's backup off the bench. Obviously not a lot of interest anymore as he is not the same mvp caliber player since injury ,be he is still a much better option than Calderon. Too me this is a good signing for play making / scoring depth at the guard position and opens the door for unloading Felder or Shump as part of a trade deal in the future.

Was thinking the exact same thing about Felder and or Shump. The issue with Rose imo is I wonder if he can fit in with other players and not have to be the man. Only time will tell on that front.

If he is seriously considering this, Rose may have finally realised that his imaged has taken some hits since his MVP days and that he needs to spend a year on the Cavs roster and be the good team mate and not make it all about himself. If he can show that he will come off the bench and play a role that is asked, he will attract more interest after next season.
If he buys in, he could be an excellent 6th man for the Cavs and will give them the ability to sit LBJ for some more rest during games
Sometimes a player's greatest challenge is coming to grips with his role on the team
KuruptedCav
Analyst
And1: 1,125

Post#12 » by KuruptedCav » Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:44 pm

I expect that a Rose signing moves Kyrie to the off-guard role and gives the Cavs their secondary facilitator for the first time since Jeff McInnis.

It'd be a defensive liability on the ball in the backcourt vs GS, but, in transition, it would help solve the Curry transition issue on Irving 3pt shots.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#13 » by Stillwater » Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:37 pm

KuruptedCav wrote:

I expect that a Rose signing moves Kyrie to the off-guard role and gives the Cavs their secondary facilitator for the first time since Jeff McInnis.

It'd be a defensive liability on the ball in the backcourt vs GS, but, in transition, it would help solve the Curry transition issue on Irving 3pt shots.

I agree this will happen against some match ups, but I also think he would be better served as the main facilitator off the bench when LBJ is not in the game because LBJ is the main facilitator regardless of if Kyrie is on the floor.
I look forward to Rose getting to the line & scoring in the paint when not double teamed and opening up the perimeter when he is double teamed.
But with Rose Kyrie Lebron and Love all on the floor together in the post season against good defenses having that 4th facilitator & scorer is a big advantage for the guy left open or with only 1 man to beat. Add Tavares in the middle even against small ball with that line up and he would avg a dd just on lobs & put backs and rebs not too mention the rim protection improvement forcing contested outside shots and contested shots at the rim.
I hope they sign Rose. He could be the key to another championship for the Cavs. Regardless of the downward trend in his game from MVP days, he had the best season of his career since the injury last year, that has to be a point for optimism.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#14 » by Stillwater » Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:50 pm

so much for playing with or backing up Irving uhg. he will surely be signed here with Irving out.
gflem
Analyst
And1: 276

Post#15 » by gflem » Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:20 pm

Pipp33 wrote:
gflem wrote:

If he is seriously considering this, Rose may have finally realised that his imaged has taken some hits since his MVP days and that he needs to spend a year on the Cavs roster and be the good team mate and not make it all about himself. If he can show that he will come off the bench and play a role that is asked, he will attract more interest after next season.
If he buys in, he could be an excellent 6th man for the Cavs and will give them the ability to sit LBJ for some more rest during games

So the Kyrie story somewhat changes the landscape on this. Maybe Rose has some inside scoop and would be replacing Kyrie. Crazy how quickly things change in the NBA nowadays.
PerkinsFor3
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,977

Post#16 » by PerkinsFor3 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:30 am

Stillwater wrote:
KuruptedCav wrote:

I agree this will happen against some match ups, but I also think he would be better served as the main facilitator off the bench when LBJ is not in the game because LBJ is the main facilitator regardless of if Kyrie is on the floor.
I look forward to Rose getting to the line & scoring in the paint when not double teamed and opening up the perimeter when he is double teamed.
But with Rose Kyrie Lebron and Love all on the floor together in the post season against good defenses having that 4th facilitator & scorer is a big advantage for the guy left open or with only 1 man to beat. Add Tavares in the middle even against small ball with that line up and he would avg a dd just on lobs & put backs and rebs not too mention the rim protection improvement forcing contested outside shots and contested shots at the rim.
I hope they sign Rose. He could be the key to another championship for the Cavs. Regardless of the downward trend in his game from MVP days, he had the best season of his career since the injury last year, that has to be a point for optimism.

Any news on Tavares? Did he play in SL? Are there plans to sign him for the upcoming season?
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#17 » by Stillwater » Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:32 pm

PerkinsFor3 wrote:
Stillwater wrote:
KuruptedCav wrote:

Any news on Tavares? Did he play in SL? Are there plans to sign him for the upcoming season?

No news I can see. He has 2 yrs left on the 3 yr minimum deal he signed with us in April, but it's the only non guaranteed contract on the books for 17-18 season, so depending on what happens with KI trade scenarios, he could be moved or waived.
Calderon Green & Rose are all on 1 yr deals.
Felder & Jefferson are guaranteed for only this coming season & are non-guaranteed in 18-19 so if they really like Tavares they could waive 1 or more of those other 5 players esp Felder to keep him if necessary depending on roster after trade(s).
I also think there is a good chance White & or Pointer gets a 2 way contract or replaces one of these 6 on the 15 man roster before the season starts if they have not already or do not latch on elsewhere.
Tavares avg. 7 pts 6 reb and 2.8 bpg in 5 sl games ( 20min per)
PerkinsFor3
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,977

Post#18 » by PerkinsFor3 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:29 pm

Read on Twitter

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers