ImageImageImage

Around The NBA

Moderator: ijspeelman

LivingLegend
Head Coach
And1: 7,745

Re: Around the NBA 

Post#521 » by LivingLegend » Wed Sep 1, 2021 1:23 am

jbk1234 wrote:The NBA is just all kinds of broken right now.
Read on Twitter
?s=20

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using RealGM mobile app

Thank god its almost football season
LivingLegend
Head Coach

Post#522 » by LivingLegend » Wed Sep 1, 2021 1:24 am

JonFromVA wrote:
Harper4Ferry? wrote:Simmons would make us a much better team but I'm sure he doesn't actually want to play here and the cost is obviously going to be more than Love/Sexton/2 firsts.

The question is ... what's the best offer that keeps Philly in contention?

Sexton/Lauri/Love/2 protected 1sts for Simmons/Maxey

No idea if that even works or not but hey I would do it
JonFromVA
RealGM
And1: 4,363

Post#523 » by JonFromVA » Wed Sep 1, 2021 1:25 am

LivingLegend wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
Harper4Ferry? wrote:Simmons would make us a much better team but I'm sure he doesn't actually want to play here and the cost is obviously going to be more than Love/Sexton/2 firsts.

Sexton/Lauri/Love for Simmons

I meant from other teams ...
LivingLegend
Head Coach

Post#524 » by LivingLegend » Wed Sep 1, 2021 1:29 am

JonFromVA wrote:
LivingLegend wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:

Sexton/Lauri/Love for Simmons

I meant from other teams ...

Great question but Sexton/Love/Lauri + 2 1sts for Simmons/Maxey is pretty strong.

Right now, I feel that the 76ers overvalue Simmons. Kyrie was traded for IT/Crowder/lotto pick. Simmons current value is not as high as Kyries if we use that as a barometer.

So I feel like the trade I proposed above isnt too bad. The 76ers get a scoring guard (Sexton) and two bigs (one now and one for later) that fit much better with spacing next to Embiid + draft assets to refill the wing.
Harper4Ferry?
Starter
And1: 78

Post#525 » by Harper4Ferry? » Wed Sep 1, 2021 2:06 am

I actually think Simmons/Garland OR Sexton/Okoro/Markannen/Allen is a pretty disruptive starting 5 and obviously needs some bench shooting but you could easily hide Garland or Sexton(whomever doesn't get traded for Simmons) on defense. They'd get a lot of transition scoring.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,069

Post#526 » by jbk1234 » Wed Sep 1, 2021 4:07 am

LivingLegend wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:

Sexton/Lauri/Love/2 protected 1sts for Simmons/Maxey

No idea if that even works or not but hey I would do it
The Cavs should be done trading until Silver wakes up from his coma and remembers he banned an owner for life (which I agreed with).

There comes a point where you and the union run the NBA, or a couple of agents do

cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
toooskies
Analyst
And1: 1,629

Post#527 » by toooskies » Wed Sep 1, 2021 1:54 pm

Harper4Ferry? wrote:I actually think Simmons/Garland OR Sexton/Okoro/Markannen/Allen is a pretty disruptive starting 5 and obviously needs some bench shooting but you could easily hide Garland or Sexton(whomever doesn't get traded for Simmons) on defense. They'd get a lot of transition scoring.

I don't think you can start three guys who can't shoot from outside in the modern NBA. Gets worse if you start Mobley over Markkanen.
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#528 » by JonFromVA » Wed Sep 1, 2021 4:29 pm

In the case of Mobley and Okoro the goal is to continue developing their shooting ... if we traded for Simmons presumably trying to win now would be more emphasized.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#529 » by jbk1234 » Thu Sep 16, 2021 2:23 am

Lol, wut?
Read on Twitter
?s=20

cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#530 » by JonFromVA » Thu Sep 16, 2021 3:26 pm

jbk1234 wrote:Lol, wut?
Read on Twitter
?s=20

When you've earned $160M, you should have options; but Kyrie has only been able to play through the end of the season one time in the past 4 seasons, and that one time was an unmitigated disaster.

So, on one hand it would seem to be due diligence to see if the Nets can find someone more reliable than Kyrie; but given their "house of cards" was built on Kyrie's desire to play in New York they're playing with fire if they do anything other than hanging up the phone if his name came up in trade talks.

Could the Nets be that stupid? Or did someone just ask Kyrie/agent a speculative question and got an answer?
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#531 » by jbk1234 » Fri Sep 17, 2021 1:23 am

JonFromVA wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=20

When you've earned $160M, you should have options; but Kyrie has only been able to play through the end of the season one time in the past 4 seasons, and that one time was an unmitigated disaster.

So, on one hand it would seem to be due diligence to see if the Nets can find someone more reliable than Kyrie; but given their "house of cards" was built on Kyrie's desire to play in New York they're playing with fire if they do anything other than hanging up the phone if his name came up in trade talks.

Could the Nets be that stupid? Or did someone just ask Kyrie/agent a speculative question and got an answer?
There's been rumblings since Kyrie took paternity leave, or whatever, and now that DAJ got traded, being Durant's friend is looking to be as important as being LBJ's friend.

cbosh4mvp wrote:
LivingLegend
Head Coach

Post#532 » by LivingLegend » Fri Sep 17, 2021 6:25 am

jbk1234 wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=20

There's been rumblings since Kyrie took paternity leave, or whatever, and now that DAJ got traded, being Durant's friend is looking to be as important as being LBJ's friend.

The fall Kyrie has taken since that 2016 title is mind blowing. Remember he used to be really cool? Really fun and made other teams jealous? What the hell happened to that guy.

Fame and money go to your head man. I honestly applaud those who are able to make it through a 15 year career and be the same person when they come out of the other side.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#533 » by jbk1234 » Sun Sep 19, 2021 3:51 pm

LivingLegend wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:

The fall Kyrie has taken since that 2016 title is mind blowing. Remember he used to be really cool? Really fun and made other teams jealous? What the hell happened to that guy.

Fame and money go to your head man. I honestly applaud those who are able to make it through a 15 year career and be the same person when they come out of the other side.

Kyrie's issues started here on his rookie contract and the Cavs just kept them under wraps (to the extent they were able). It's why I'm not sure we've heard the entire story with respect to KPJ.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#534 » by JonFromVA » Sun Sep 19, 2021 4:22 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
LivingLegend wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:There's been rumblings since Kyrie took paternity leave, or whatever, and now that DAJ got traded, being Durant's friend is looking to be as important as being LBJ's friend.

Kyrie's issues started here on his rookie contract and the Cavs just kept them under wraps (to the extent they were able). It's why I'm not sure we've heard the entire story with respect to KPJ.

Fedor and others have reported there were multiple incidents with kpj .... we can only imagine what they were and whether they will resurface elsewhere.

The Cavs and Cleveland fans and media protect our own, but a lot of people were surprised when Kyrie resigned after his rookie deal - his fathers influence and his new jersey roots were well known.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#535 » by jbk1234 » Sun Sep 19, 2021 4:25 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:
LivingLegend wrote:

Fedor and others have reported there were multiple incidents with kpj .... we can only imagine what they were and whether they will resurface elsewhere.

The Cavs and Cleveland fans and media protect our own, but a lot of people were surprised when Kyrie resigned after his rookie deal - his fathers influence and his new jersey roots were well known.

The Cavs had to pay Mike Brown like $15M over three years to not coach for us to get that to happen. Also, we took calls on him before re-signing him.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#536 » by jbk1234 » Wed Sep 29, 2021 3:27 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=20
cbosh4mvp wrote:
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#537 » by jbk1234 » Wed Sep 29, 2021 4:45 pm

Looks like the Cavs really did win the Kyrie trade
Read on Twitter
?s=20
cbosh4mvp wrote:
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#538 » by JonFromVA » Wed Sep 29, 2021 6:51 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=20

I'll leave it to the lawyers, but I doubt the NBA has a leg to stand on here if as reported they are leaning on the "failure to perform" clause. The players are presumably ready to perform, but local regulations are not permitting it.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#539 » by jbk1234 » Wed Sep 29, 2021 6:52 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=20

I'll leave it to the lawyers, but I doubt the NBA has a leg to stand on here if as reported they are leaning on the "failure to perform" clause. The players are presumably ready to perform, but local regulations are not permitting it.

The union is in a tough spot here. The reality is that like 90% of the players are vaccinated and some of them are starting to speak up about their teammates not getting vaccinated.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#540 » by JonFromVA » Wed Sep 29, 2021 7:11 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=20

The union is in a tough spot here. The reality is that like 90% of the players are vaccinated and some of them are starting to speak up about their teammates not getting vaccinated.

The union has been reasonable and co-operative regarding Covid, but why would they accept a mandate or willingly give up any money?

They are not at-will employees, the terms of their employment are defined by the CBA.

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers