ImageImageImage

Around The NBA

Moderator: ijspeelman

gflem
Analyst
And1: 276

Re: Around the NBA 

Post#101 » by gflem » Sun Jul 7, 2019 6:39 pm

jbk1234 wrote:The Lakers have managed to completely screw up their roster again and this time they're handing out two-year deals. They brought back McGee, Rondo, and KCP. Danny Green is a decent get but that is not a team-friendly deal. Cousins is good signing for the money, but the just put another combustible factor into the mix. They've got nothing at PG. The entire thing could go sideways very quickly and they only have Kuzma as a trade asset if they need to reshape that roster on the fly.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using RealGM mobile app

I wouldnt mind seeing the Lakers go sideways at all.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 31,982

Post#102 » by jbk1234 » Sun Jul 7, 2019 7:19 pm

gflem wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:The Lakers have managed to completely screw up their roster again and this time they're handing out two-year deals. They brought back McGee, Rondo, and KCP. Danny Green is a decent get but that is not a team-friendly deal. Cousins is good signing for the money, but the just put another combustible factor into the mix. They've got nothing at PG. The entire thing could go sideways very quickly and they only have Kuzma as a trade asset if they need to reshape that roster on the fly.

I just don't understand the two year deals at all. Green I get but guys like McGee and KCP are borderline inexplicable. AD is only under contract for one year. LBJ can opt out in the summer of 2021. They can't even offer expiring contracts in trade and they have no assets to get off of those contracts. They've basically locked in to a very questionable roster in terms of fit.

cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
ToneLocc
Ballboy
And1: 5

Post#103 » by ToneLocc » Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:19 am

jbk1234 wrote:
gflem wrote:

I just don't understand the two year deals at all. Green I get but guys like McGee and KCP are borderline inexplicable. AD is only under contract for one year. LBJ can opt out in the summer of 2021. They can't even offer expiring contracts in trade and they have no assets to get off of those contracts. They've basically locked in to a very questionable roster in terms of fit.

I figured they’re trying to line these up to expire when Kuz would be ready for an extension.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#104 » by jbk1234 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:49 am

ToneLocc wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:
gflem wrote:I wouldnt mind seeing the Lakers go sideways at all.

I figured they’re trying to line these up to expire when Kuz would be ready for an extension.
But by handing out all these player options, all they've guaranteed is that the players who perform well opt out. The guys who don't play well are opting in.

cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
JonFromVA
RealGM
And1: 4,351

Post#105 » by JonFromVA » Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:53 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
gflem wrote:

For better or worse, it gives them some continuity over the 2 years James has left with the team; and then a chance to rebuild around Davis should he leave.
Revenged25
Analyst
And1: 1,002

Post#106 » by Revenged25 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:40 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:
gflem wrote:I wouldnt mind seeing the Lakers go sideways at all.

For better or worse, it gives them some continuity over the 2 years James has left with the team; and then a chance to rebuild around Davis should he leave.

Isn't 2 years when PG and Kawhi become FAs as well?
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#107 » by JonFromVA » Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:35 pm

Revenged25 wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:I just don't understand the two year deals at all. Green I get but guys like McGee and KCP are borderline inexplicable. AD is only under contract for one year. LBJ can opt out in the summer of 2021. They can't even offer expiring contracts in trade and they have no assets to get off of those contracts. They've basically locked in to a very questionable roster in terms of fit.

I believe so, then we get to play musical chairs again across the league; while LeBron potentially returns to Cleveland for his retirement tour or ponders another year in LA. Which may depend how he's feeling and how badly he wants to break Kareem's scoring record.

Another factor is how badly he wants to remain in LA while his kids go through high-school. I believe LeBron Jr is just starting this year, so, ... who knows. It may be a quick retirement tour.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#108 » by jbk1234 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:59 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
Revenged25 wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:

I believe so, then we get to play musical chairs again across the league; while LeBron potentially returns to Cleveland for his retirement tour or ponders another year in LA. Which may depend how he's feeling and how badly he wants to break Kareem's scoring record.

Another factor is how badly he wants to remain in LA while his kids go through high-school. I believe LeBron Jr is just starting this year, so, ... who knows. It may be a quick retirement tour.
The problem is they're not two year deals. If any of those role players out perform their contracts, they'll opt out next summer.

cbosh4mvp wrote:
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#109 » by JonFromVA » Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:20 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
Revenged25 wrote:

The problem is they're not two year deals. If any of those role players out perform their contracts, they'll opt out next summer.

And then they'll probably re-sign with the Lakers and get a raise using Bird, early Bird, or non-Bird rights. The rest of the league already had their chance to "steal" them away. :lol:
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#110 » by jbk1234 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:14 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:

And then they'll probably re-sign with the Lakers and get a raise using Bird, early Bird, or non-Bird rights. The rest of the league already had their chance to "steal" them away.
I would've thought that the league learned its lesson about throwing big money at role players after 2016. But given what the Kings and Knick just did, I'm not sure that lesson will ever be learned. They'll be a ton of money out there next summer.

cbosh4mvp wrote:
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#111 » by jbk1234 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:03 am

Kyrie didn't get a true max from the Nets
Read on Twitter
?s=20

cbosh4mvp wrote:
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#112 » by JonFromVA » Mon Jul 22, 2019 3:54 pm

"Unlikely" is an important term because it means the bonuses will not count against this years cap, but they aren't necessarily going to be difficult to reach, just something the player or the team didn't accomplish last year. Too bad Zach didn't get/share details.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#113 » by jbk1234 » Tue Jul 23, 2019 3:58 am

JonFromVA wrote:"Unlikely" is an important term because it means the bonuses will not count against this years cap, but they aren't necessarily going to be difficult to reach, just something the player or the team didn't accomplish last year. Too bad Zach didn't get/share details.
They're in the article. It's almost impossible to meet them all.

cbosh4mvp wrote:
Stillwater
RealGM
And1: 3,655

Post#114 » by Stillwater » Wed Jul 24, 2019 1:59 am

Prediction :
Ben Simmons has a breakout season & takes at least 4 mid range fades or top of the key J's this year and as the season goes adds at minimum 2 threes per game and makes over 60% of all shot ranges combined on avg.
Or the possibility exists he chokes hard shooting a terrible % , but the impression I get is he will be taking those attempts with reckless abandon this season.
SUNDOWN BRINGS A WELCOME CHANGE TO EVERYTHING THAT'S HIDING
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#115 » by JonFromVA » Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:59 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:"Unlikely" is an important term because it means the bonuses will not count against this years cap, but they aren't necessarily going to be difficult to reach, just something the player or the team didn't accomplish last year. Too bad Zach didn't get/share details.
They're in the article. It's almost impossible to meet them all.

Cool, here's the list:

Irving would earn $125,000 apiece if:

He appears in at least 70 regular-season games.

He appears in at least 60 regular-season games and averages fewer than 2.4 turnovers per game. Irving has averaged 2.6 turnovers per game over his career, and between 2.3 and 2.7 in each of his past six seasons.

He appears in at least 60 regular-season games and attempts at least 4.6 free throws per game. Irving has averaged 4.4 free throws per game for his career, and has fallen below the 4.6 mark in each of his past two seasons.

He shoots 88.5 percent or better from the free throw line in the regular season. Irving is a career 87.5 percent free throw shooter. He has cracked the 88.5 percent mark in three of his eight career seasons.

Makes at least 2.8 3-pointers per game in the regular season. Irving has accomplished that just once in eight seasons. He has averaged 2.1 made 3s per game over his career.

He commits fewer than 2.1 fouls per game in the regular season. His career average: 2.2.

The Nets score at least 114 points per 100 possessions in the regular season with Irving on the floor.

Gotta say, that's a fantastic list of items of importance that Irving can reasonably achieve if he focuses on those areas. I was totally expecting a completely massaged list that he'd just have to do little more than just show up to achieve.

Of course injuries are (mostly) out of his control, and that 114 ORtg would be major increase for the Nyets; but I wouldn't call it impossible to reach them all unless he forgets what he signed ...
Richfield
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,234

Post#116 » by Richfield » Sat Aug 3, 2019 8:46 pm

lol @ incentives to flop
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#117 » by jbk1234 » Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:35 pm

Today's extensions:

Read on Twitter
?s=20

Read on Twitter
?s=20

Read on Twitter
?s=20
cbosh4mvp wrote:
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#118 » by jbk1234 » Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:39 pm

Read on Twitter
cbosh4mvp wrote:
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#119 » by jbk1234 » Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:55 pm

I get that teams were worried about these guys getting max offers next summer in a thin free agency crop, but I'm not good with most of these extensions. You get the extra season before you have to make that commitment and I'd rather take the risk of having to match a rookie max offer, with the smaller raises, then commit that much money before I was sure. If these guys level off this season, these teams could regret those signings for a long time. The only one I think I like is Buddy's.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#120 » by jbk1234 » Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:33 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=20
cbosh4mvp wrote:

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers