ImageImageImage

Around the NBA

Moderator: jbk1234

JonFromVA
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,166
And1: 1,621
Joined: Dec 08, 2009
     

Re: Around the NBA 

Post#121 » by JonFromVA » Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:41 pm

jbk1234 wrote:I get that teams were worried about these guys getting max offers next summer in a thin free agency crop, but I'm not good with most of these extensions. You get the extra season before you have to make that commitment and I'd rather take the risk of having to match a rookie max offer, with the smaller raises, then commit that much money before I was sure. If these guys level off this season, these teams could regret those signings for a long time. The only one I think I like is Buddy's.


Sounds good, but you may have to deal with a hold out, a Rich Paul client insisting on taking the QO, a player who's value increases, a player who gets out of sorts or plays selfishly, etc.

As a bonus, the team's that signed these players are under little pressure to trade them. They can take their time and find the right deal if they decide they really can't afford what they offered.
jbk1234
Forum Mod - Cavs
Forum Mod - Cavs
Posts: 36,703
And1: 21,076
Joined: Dec 22, 2010
   

Re: Around the NBA 

Post#122 » by jbk1234 » Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:46 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:I get that teams were worried about these guys getting max offers next summer in a thin free agency crop, but I'm not good with most of these extensions. You get the extra season before you have to make that commitment and I'd rather take the risk of having to match a rookie max offer, with the smaller raises, then commit that much money before I was sure. If these guys level off this season, these teams could regret those signings for a long time. The only one I think I like is Buddy's.


Sounds good, but you may have to deal with a hold out, a Rich Paul client insisting on taking the QO, a player who's value increases, a player who gets out of sorts or plays selfishly, etc.

As a bonus, the team's that signed these players are under little pressure to trade them. They can take their time and find the right deal if they decide they really can't afford what they offered.


The right deal for a player making 150-200% of their worth often means being stuck with that player.
It is highly unlikely that the Cavs will agree with your Kevin Love evaluation for the purpose of a trade.
JonFromVA
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,166
And1: 1,621
Joined: Dec 08, 2009
     

Re: Around the NBA 

Post#123 » by JonFromVA » Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:07 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:I get that teams were worried about these guys getting max offers next summer in a thin free agency crop, but I'm not good with most of these extensions. You get the extra season before you have to make that commitment and I'd rather take the risk of having to match a rookie max offer, with the smaller raises, then commit that much money before I was sure. If these guys level off this season, these teams could regret those signings for a long time. The only one I think I like is Buddy's.


Sounds good, but you may have to deal with a hold out, a Rich Paul client insisting on taking the QO, a player who's value increases, a player who gets out of sorts or plays selfishly, etc.

As a bonus, the team's that signed these players are under little pressure to trade them. They can take their time and find the right deal if they decide they really can't afford what they offered.


The right deal for a player making 150-200% of their worth often means being stuck with that player.


As long as there's one GM out there who would have max'd that player out in free-agency, and I could actually see the potential of that happening with Brown, Sabonis, Hield, and Murray; then a deal can be made. Value in the real-world sense doesn't really exist in the NBA due to the limited supply of talent, the leverage that talent holds, and false scarcity.

There's definitely risk to this approach, but it's not all risk. Hield, for instance, is the oldest of the bunch. He's almost 27, but that means he's basically entering his NBA prime and the Kings will be getting the best out of him over his contract. The other guys, otoh, should still be improving for 2-3 years before entering their prime.
jbk1234
Forum Mod - Cavs
Forum Mod - Cavs
Posts: 36,703
And1: 21,076
Joined: Dec 22, 2010
   

Re: Around the NBA 

Post#124 » by jbk1234 » Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:18 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
Sounds good, but you may have to deal with a hold out, a Rich Paul client insisting on taking the QO, a player who's value increases, a player who gets out of sorts or plays selfishly, etc.

As a bonus, the team's that signed these players are under little pressure to trade them. They can take their time and find the right deal if they decide they really can't afford what they offered.


The right deal for a player making 150-200% of their worth often means being stuck with that player.


As long as there's one GM out there who would have max'd that player out in free-agency, and I could actually see the potential of that happening with Brown, Sabonis, Hield, and Murray; then a deal can be made. Value in the real-world sense doesn't really exist in the NBA due to the limited supply of talent, the leverage that talent holds, and false scarcity.

There's definitely risk to this approach, but it's not all risk. Hield, for instance, is the oldest of the bunch. He's almost 27, but that means he's basically entering his NBA prime and the Kings will be getting the best out of him over his contract. The other guys, otoh, should still be improving for 2-3 years before entering their prime.


Yeah, I understood the Hield deal. That said, Clarkson averaged more PPG than everyone else on that list. TT averaged more rebounds and is at least as good a defender as Sabonis. Brown just got $115M and he averaged 13 ppg last year. That's nuts.

There are certainly scenarios where these are all good signings. Sabonis fits well with Turner in the front court, doesn't destroy the spacing, and has a career that more closely resembles his regular season performance than his playoff performance. Murray has a career that more closely resembles his playoff performance than his regular season performance. Brown becomes an all star. But there are some pretty big question marks surrounding all these guys and it's just a ton of money to commit before those are answered.
It is highly unlikely that the Cavs will agree with your Kevin Love evaluation for the purpose of a trade.
JonFromVA
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,166
And1: 1,621
Joined: Dec 08, 2009
     

Re: Around the NBA 

Post#125 » by JonFromVA » Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:31 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:
The right deal for a player making 150-200% of their worth often means being stuck with that player.


As long as there's one GM out there who would have max'd that player out in free-agency, and I could actually see the potential of that happening with Brown, Sabonis, Hield, and Murray; then a deal can be made. Value in the real-world sense doesn't really exist in the NBA due to the limited supply of talent, the leverage that talent holds, and false scarcity.

There's definitely risk to this approach, but it's not all risk. Hield, for instance, is the oldest of the bunch. He's almost 27, but that means he's basically entering his NBA prime and the Kings will be getting the best out of him over his contract. The other guys, otoh, should still be improving for 2-3 years before entering their prime.


Yeah, I understood the Hield deal. That said, Clarkson averaged more PPG than everyone else on that list. TT averaged more rebounds and is at least as good a defender as Sabonis. Brown just got $115M and he averaged 13 ppg last year. That's nuts.

There are certainly scenarios where these are all good signings. Sabonis fits well with Turner in the front court, doesn't destroy the spacing, and has a career that more closely resembles his regular season performance than his playoff performance. Murray has a career that more closely resembles his playoff performance than his regular season performance. Brown becomes an all star. But there are some pretty big question marks surrounding all these guys and it's just a ton of money to commit before those are answered.


Fortunately it's not our problem unless Altman is in love with one of these guys. Salaries in the NBA are pretty nuts, though.
User avatar
gflem
Veteran
Posts: 2,704
And1: 152
Joined: Sep 11, 2004

Re: Around the NBA 

Post#126 » by gflem » Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:38 pm

I got in late last night but was able to watch some of the Lakers vs Clippers. I have to say it warmed my heart a bit to watch the Clippers without Paul George beat the Lakers.
jbk1234
Forum Mod - Cavs
Forum Mod - Cavs
Posts: 36,703
And1: 21,076
Joined: Dec 22, 2010
   

Re: Around the NBA 

Post#127 » by jbk1234 » Thu Oct 24, 2019 2:05 am

Wiggins is 8/25 tonight at the end of regulation.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using RealGM mobile app
It is highly unlikely that the Cavs will agree with your Kevin Love evaluation for the purpose of a trade.
jbk1234
Forum Mod - Cavs
Forum Mod - Cavs
Posts: 36,703
And1: 21,076
Joined: Dec 22, 2010
   

Re: Around the NBA 

Post#128 » by jbk1234 » Thu Oct 24, 2019 2:20 am

jbk1234 wrote:Wiggins is 8/25 tonight at the end of regulation.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using RealGM mobile app
And Kyrie scores 50 in a losing effort.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using RealGM mobile app
It is highly unlikely that the Cavs will agree with your Kevin Love evaluation for the purpose of a trade.
jbk1234
Forum Mod - Cavs
Forum Mod - Cavs
Posts: 36,703
And1: 21,076
Joined: Dec 22, 2010
   

Re: Around the NBA 

Post#129 » by jbk1234 » Sun Oct 27, 2019 1:27 pm

So the Hawks are the only team in the NBA currently with cap space and they only have $4M in space. There's a bunch of teams up against the apron and a bunch more up against the tax line. The Mavs, Kings and Knicks really messed up spending all of their available space on middling vets. That space would be an absolute premium right now as tax teams, or near tax teams, need third parties involved to help facilitate deals.

I hope our front office is paying attention. If we can keep $10M or so in space heading into next season, that's definitely something the Cavs should consider.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using RealGM mobile app
It is highly unlikely that the Cavs will agree with your Kevin Love evaluation for the purpose of a trade.
JonFromVA
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,166
And1: 1,621
Joined: Dec 08, 2009
     

Re: Around the NBA 

Post#130 » by JonFromVA » Thu Oct 31, 2019 2:52 pm

jbk1234 wrote:So the Hawks are the only team in the NBA currently with cap space and they only have $4M in space. There's a bunch of teams up against the apron and a bunch more up against the tax line. The Mavs, Kings and Knicks really messed up spending all of their available space on middling vets. That space would be an absolute premium right now as tax teams, or near tax teams, need third parties involved to help facilitate deals.

I hope our front office is paying attention. If we can keep $10M or so in space heading into next season, that's definitely something the Cavs should consider.


I suppose that depends what else they have on the table that they can do with the money. We can already help a team up against the luxury tax by simply swapping cheaper salaries for more expensive salaries, but we're up against the tax too. So, it would have to be an amazing pay off. And keep in mind, they decided to not bother using JR Smith's contract to bring in a late draft pick last year and instead just piled up a bunch of second rounders they'd collected and used them to get back in the draft to take Porter Jr.

If there are enough deals on the table, we could trade an expiring for a cheaper longer salary and a pick from team A then absorb some salary in exchange for a pick from team B. It's just these deals get complicated and other teams can play these games too.
jbk1234
Forum Mod - Cavs
Forum Mod - Cavs
Posts: 36,703
And1: 21,076
Joined: Dec 22, 2010
   

Re: Around the NBA 

Post#131 » by jbk1234 » Thu Oct 31, 2019 3:16 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:So the Hawks are the only team in the NBA currently with cap space and they only have $4M in space. There's a bunch of teams up against the apron and a bunch more up against the tax line. The Mavs, Kings and Knicks really messed up spending all of their available space on middling vets. That space would be an absolute premium right now as tax teams, or near tax teams, need third parties involved to help facilitate deals.

I hope our front office is paying attention. If we can keep $10M or so in space heading into next season, that's definitely something the Cavs should consider.


I suppose that depends what else they have on the table that they can do with the money. We can already help a team up against the luxury tax by simply swapping cheaper salaries for more expensive salaries, but we're up against the tax too. So, it would have to be an amazing pay off. And keep in mind, they decided to not bother using JR Smith's contract to bring in a late draft pick last year and instead just piled up a bunch of second rounders they'd collected and used them to get back in the draft to take Porter Jr.

If there are enough deals on the table, we could trade an expiring for a cheaper longer salary and a pick from team A then absorb some salary in exchange for a pick from team B. It's just these deals get complicated and other teams can play these games too.


Yeah. I'm talking about next season.
It is highly unlikely that the Cavs will agree with your Kevin Love evaluation for the purpose of a trade.
JonFromVA
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,166
And1: 1,621
Joined: Dec 08, 2009
     

Re: Around the NBA 

Post#132 » by JonFromVA » Thu Oct 31, 2019 3:26 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:So the Hawks are the only team in the NBA currently with cap space and they only have $4M in space. There's a bunch of teams up against the apron and a bunch more up against the tax line. The Mavs, Kings and Knicks really messed up spending all of their available space on middling vets. That space would be an absolute premium right now as tax teams, or near tax teams, need third parties involved to help facilitate deals.

I hope our front office is paying attention. If we can keep $10M or so in space heading into next season, that's definitely something the Cavs should consider.


I suppose that depends what else they have on the table that they can do with the money. We can already help a team up against the luxury tax by simply swapping cheaper salaries for more expensive salaries, but we're up against the tax too. So, it would have to be an amazing pay off. And keep in mind, they decided to not bother using JR Smith's contract to bring in a late draft pick last year and instead just piled up a bunch of second rounders they'd collected and used them to get back in the draft to take Porter Jr.

If there are enough deals on the table, we could trade an expiring for a cheaper longer salary and a pick from team A then absorb some salary in exchange for a pick from team B. It's just these deals get complicated and other teams can play these games too.


Yeah. I'm talking about next season.


Just saying there are games we can play even when we're right up against the luxury tax like we are.
jbk1234
Forum Mod - Cavs
Forum Mod - Cavs
Posts: 36,703
And1: 21,076
Joined: Dec 22, 2010
   

Re: Around the NBA 

Post#133 » by jbk1234 » Yesterday 2:37 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=20
It is highly unlikely that the Cavs will agree with your Kevin Love evaluation for the purpose of a trade.

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers