Forum Mod - Cavs
Forum Mod - Cavs
And1: 23,842

Re: Around the NBA 

Post#281 » by jbk1234 » Fri Apr 2, 2021 11:11 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
We "marketed" Andre as a first option and what did that get us?

Nobody wants Kevin or Andre as their first option, they might like them to fill a specific need but not at the kind of money they're making.

So, yes, we fundamentally disagree on Love's value and tradeability.

But hey, there's no time like the present. This isn't last year. Darius and Collin have improved. We have some serious rim protection and perimeter D help for Kevin. Thompson is gone. JBB is running the show.

So, let's see where Kevin as the team's first option takes us, and how long he can stay on the floor until something else breaks.

If you're right, shouldn't he be able to build up his trade value for this Summer? What's going to hold that back? Well, other than the fact that the Cavs could use a healthy and productive Kevin Love more than probably the other 29 teams.

In terms of Drummond's value, it took a big hit when we traded for Allen. He got fewer minutes, fewer rebounds, and fewer touches. More importantly, the prospect of taking back long term salary and getting value for his expiring contract ended. But you make the Allen trade anyway because it's the right move long term.

In terms of trading Love now, it's not going to be possible without attaching draft capital or a prospect who you don't want to trade in a salary dump. I have no faith in his health status at this point and I doubt any potential trade partner does either. In fact, I think there's a a real chance the guy ends up medically retired before his contract is up. There isn't enough basketball left to played in this season to allay those concerns. Some mistakes you can mitigate and learn from. Other mistakes, you have to ride out the consequences. What happened in the first half of last season was the latter. They're called missed opportunities for a reason.

Love played only 22 games the year before last ... trusting Love to say healthy is a ship that sailed a long time ago before it ever arrived in Cleveland. Even if you want to dismiss his thumb injuries and the shoulder injury as a fluke, there's a reason he lost all that weight.

We signed Kevin to a contract well above his market price. It is what it is.
Unless the team and Kevin lied about it, that was the result of an elective surgery in a year where the Cavs realized the needed a teardown. This was a year where the Cavs could've really used him on the court, where he would've played alongside a rim protector in Allen and a PG who was figuring things out. It matters.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using RealGM mobile app
It is highly unlikely that the Cavs will agree with your Kevin Love evaluation for the purpose of a trade.
JonFromVA
Head Coach
And1: 2,175

Post#282 » by JonFromVA » Sat Apr 3, 2021 6:33 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:
In terms of Drummond's value, it took a big hit when we traded for Allen. He got fewer minutes, fewer rebounds, and fewer touches. More importantly, the prospect of taking back long term salary and getting value for his expiring contract ended. But you make the Allen trade anyway because it's the right move long term.

In terms of trading Love now, it's not going to be possible without attaching draft capital or a prospect who you don't want to trade in a salary dump. I have no faith in his health status at this point and I doubt any potential trade partner does either. In fact, I think there's a a real chance the guy ends up medically retired before his contract is up. There isn't enough basketball left to played in this season to allay those concerns. Some mistakes you can mitigate and learn from. Other mistakes, you have to ride out the consequences. What happened in the first half of last season was the latter. They're called missed opportunities for a reason.

Love played only 22 games the year before last ... trusting Love to say healthy is a ship that sailed a long time ago before it ever arrived in Cleveland. Even if you want to dismiss his thumb injuries and the shoulder injury as a fluke, there's a reason he lost all that weight.

Unless the team and Kevin lied about it, that was the result of an elective surgery in a year where the Cavs realized the needed a teardown. This was a year where the Cavs could've really used him on the court, where he would've played alongside a rim protector in Allen and a PG who was figuring things out. It matters.

If a GM of another team that believed Kevin could stay healthy and be an effective first option, he'd have been traded already.

The Bulls were just the right kind of desperate, but they hooked up with Orlando and dunno but we might have given Kevin right of refusal even if such a deal was in the works.

Let's hope for the best? Kevin should help quite a bit if he can stay on the floor, and if we keep his minutes limited ... he may not even hurt our lottery odds.

We need to see starting lineups with decent floor spacing.
Stillwater
RealGM
And1: 3,526

Post#283 » by Stillwater » Sat Apr 3, 2021 6:44 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:

If a GM of another team that believed Kevin could stay healthy and be an effective first option, he'd have been traded already.

The Bulls were just the right kind of desperate, but they hooked up with Orlando and dunno but we might have given Kevin right of refusal even if such a deal was in the works.

Let's hope for the best? Kevin should help quite a bit if he can stay on the floor, and if we keep his minutes limited ... he may not even hurt our lottery odds.

Nobody who was considering trading for KLove would have been seeing him as a first option even if the Cavs made the mistake of paying an injury prone guy 1st option $.
He was never a first option on a winner which means he was never a true first option...he did however play a crucial role as a 2nd or 3rd option in every game he played during the finals runs and that should have carried over but it didnt.
The Cavs rewarded him too much everyone knows it, and he has held this org hostage as a result since they did.
There is nothing for him here any more beyond eating up cap space and being the highest paid on court coach in the NBA
SUNDOWN BRINGS A WELCOME CHANGE TO EVERYTHING THAT'S HIDING

Fischella wrote "There are easily 40-50 dudes with higher ceilings than Juzang in this class"
jbk1234
Forum Mod - Cavs
Forum Mod - Cavs

Post#284 » by jbk1234 » Sat Apr 3, 2021 6:53 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:

I mean Jason Lloyd, who I trust, reported that the Blazers offered expiring contracts for him last year at the deadline. I have to believe if the Cavs put minimal effort into boosting his trade value, I'm talking about the bare fricking minimum here, they could've pulled a late first as well. Love would be better off and so would the Cavs. That was a missed opportunity and hopefully the Cavs learned from it.
It is highly unlikely that the Cavs will agree with your Kevin Love evaluation for the purpose of a trade.
JonFromVA
Head Coach

Post#285 » by JonFromVA » Sun Apr 4, 2021 9:41 am

jbk1234 wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:Unless the team and Kevin lied about it, that was the result of an elective surgery in a year where the Cavs realized the needed a teardown. This was a year where the Cavs could've really used him on the court, where he would've played alongside a rim protector in Allen and a PG who was figuring things out. It matters.

I mean Jason Lloyd, who I trust, reported that the Blazers offered expiring contracts for him last year at the deadline. I have to believe if the Cavs put minimal effort into boosting his trade value, I'm talking about the bare fricking minimum here, they could've pulled a late first as well. Love would be better off and so would the Cavs. That was a missed opportunity and hopefully the Cavs learned from it.

Kevin was nailing his career averages at age 31 playing with Sexton and Garland. Its not hard to extrapolate that to Dame and CJ.

The players that need their value massaged (if you want to flip them) are the younglings. Limit their minutes to situations they can handle and set them up for easy scores and you might keep their hype train rolling.
Harper4Ferry?
Sixth Man
And1: 40

Post#286 » by Harper4Ferry? » Sun Apr 4, 2021 6:14 pm

Explain to me how Jrue Holiday is worth 40 million dollars.
JonFromVA
Head Coach

Post#287 » by JonFromVA » Sun Apr 4, 2021 6:30 pm

Harper4Ferry? wrote:Explain to me how Jrue Holiday is worth 40 million dollars.

He's worth it to keep their core together I guess. The Bucks need to hope he ages well sort of in the Billups mold.

Risky move by the Pelicans to give him up when they're trying to build around Zion.
jbk1234
Forum Mod - Cavs
Forum Mod - Cavs

Post#288 » by jbk1234 » Mon Apr 5, 2021 12:36 am

Harper4Ferry? wrote:Explain to me how Jrue Holiday is worth 40 million dollars.
He's not. It might be worth it to keep Giannis happy, but if you're going to pay full freight, I don't understand why you wouldn't wait and see how Jrue performs in the postseason. They just did this with Bledsoe and he got lit up by Rozier in the playoffs a month later.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using RealGM mobile app

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers