Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 31,982

Re: Around the NBA 

Post#321 » by jbk1234 » Sun Jun 6, 2021 5:35 am

JonFromVA wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
It would certainly hurt in terms of using our POBO as a player recruiting tool, but in terms of vision, strategy, and team-building it would be an upgrade. Anyway, sounds like Utah might be where he ends up.

These opportunities to add a successful executive are few and far between, and it would be nice if DG was at least considering spending on something that could make a huge difference without hurting our cap.
The entirety of his success is linked to two very lopsided trades and neither McHale nor Billy King are around to trade with anymore. The Celtics ownership group is on record as saying that they made Ainge go back and ask for more picks, twice, in that Nets trade.

But I'd argue that the record for his long term vision is a bit mixed, and that's putting it charitably. It's no secret that he was hording draft capital for AD. He didn't really have a plan B and the Celtics have been looking for a good big man since they shipped out KG. He burned through Brown and Tatum's rookie deals without adding that young big. Kyrie, Horford and Hayward walked for nothing.

His best attribute was in getting guys already on the roster to buy into signing team friendly deals, and after what happened with IT, I think that's over.

But he's not leaving the Celtics in a great spot. They're a tax team that's on the clock with Smart's contract. Their starting PG is on the wrong side of 30, has bad knees, and two years left on a max deal. His later lottery picks are meh and have limited trade value. Part of me wonders if he pulled a Morey here and left before he had to pay a small ransom to get off of Kemba's deal.

lol, I'm not going to waste my time advocating any further for Ainge; other than to point out that maybe we shouldn't be so picky and choosy until Koby Altman has shown he can construct even one 48-win team, let alone 10 of them.
I feel like Kobe has drafted well based on where he was picking and he hasn't made any bad trades. He's made a couple of pretty good ones. Those are the two most important aspects of what a rebuilding GM can do.

Imagine if we just missed on guys like Bamba, Culver, WCJ, Sekuo, Zaire, Fultz, etc. The Kings passed on Luka for a guy they might not even match next summer. That's an entire season of painful losing just wasted.

Read the boards of other teams and how pissed they were when the Cavs landed Allen for that return.

Also, Kobe managed to assemble a roster out of the remains of the Kyrie trade, while holding onto the 8th pick, that LBJ was able to carry to the Finals. Nance is still one of the most coveted players on the roster when it comes to trade value.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using RealGM mobile app
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#322 » by jbk1234 » Sun Jun 6, 2021 5:42 am

Read on Twitter
?s=20

cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
Revenged25
Analyst
And1: 1,002

Post#323 » by Revenged25 » Sun Jun 6, 2021 11:34 am

jbk1234 wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:The entirety of his success is linked to two very lopsided trades and neither McHale nor Billy King are around to trade with anymore. The Celtics ownership group is on record as saying that they made Ainge go back and ask for more picks, twice, in that Nets trade.

But I'd argue that the record for his long term vision is a bit mixed, and that's putting it charitably. It's no secret that he was hording draft capital for AD. He didn't really have a plan B and the Celtics have been looking for a good big man since they shipped out KG. He burned through Brown and Tatum's rookie deals without adding that young big. Kyrie, Horford and Hayward walked for nothing.

His best attribute was in getting guys already on the roster to buy into signing team friendly deals, and after what happened with IT, I think that's over.

But he's not leaving the Celtics in a great spot. They're a tax team that's on the clock with Smart's contract. Their starting PG is on the wrong side of 30, has bad knees, and two years left on a max deal. His later lottery picks are meh and have limited trade value. Part of me wonders if he pulled a Morey here and left before he had to pay a small ransom to get off of Kemba's deal.

lol, I'm not going to waste my time advocating any further for Ainge; other than to point out that maybe we shouldn't be so picky and choosy until Koby Altman has shown he can construct even one 48-win team, let alone 10 of them.
I feel like Kobe has drafted well based on where he was picking and he hasn't made any bad trades. He's made a couple of pretty good ones. Those are the two most important aspects of what a rebuilding GM can do.

Imagine if we just missed on guys like Bamba, Culver, WCJ, Sekuo, Zaire, Fultz, etc. The Kings passed on Luka for a guy they might not even match next summer. That's an entire season of painful losing just wasted.

Read the boards of other teams and how pissed they were when the Cavs landed Allen for that return.

Also, Kobe managed to assemble a roster out of the remains of the Kyrie trade, while holding onto the 8th pick, that LBJ was able to carry to the Finals. Nance is still one of the most coveted players on the roster when it comes to trade value.

Now if only the coaching staff could take the players that Kobe acquired and actually play to their strengths.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#324 » by jbk1234 » Sun Jun 6, 2021 1:16 pm

Revenged25 wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:

Now if only the coaching staff could take the players that Kobe acquired and actually play to their strengths.
Some of it is coaching, but when you're doing a full blown rebuild, your first obligation is to get talent in the door and worry about fit and roster construction later. I do think that in year 4 of your rebuild it's time to start thinking about how the pieces fit and rounding out the roster. This is even more so the case as the Cavs will have had 4 top 10 picks in that time. If they hadn't traded Kyrie, this would only be our third lottery pick.

Also, unless it's Cade, they need to start thinking about whether they want to force another rookie into the starting unit or develop him off the bench. Good coaching is important, but even well intentioned rookies are going to make mistakes and it's going to impact your starting unit. Then there's the reality that some 19-year old young men are resistant to coaching and the ability to sit them down helps them get over that.

cbosh4mvp wrote:
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#325 » by jbk1234 » Sun Jun 6, 2021 1:17 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=20

Wasn't Windler Beilein's pick?

cbosh4mvp wrote:
JonFromVA
RealGM
And1: 4,351

Post#326 » by JonFromVA » Sun Jun 6, 2021 2:01 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:The entirety of his success is linked to two very lopsided trades and neither McHale nor Billy King are around to trade with anymore. The Celtics ownership group is on record as saying that they made Ainge go back and ask for more picks, twice, in that Nets trade.

Yep, I'm glad Koby has made solid picks based on character in the lottery; but we also have to take in to account:

- only got a 2nd round pick out of Boston after finding out the extent of IT's injury
- drafting a PG that lacked PG skills
- drafting another PG that played all of 5 games in College
- drafting a SG sized player that lacked a SG skillset to play SF
- taking a gamble on KPJ and Drummond
- extending Love
- extending Lue
- wasting the season after firing Lue
- hiring Beilein and wasting another season
- rarely talks to the media, so we can't even judge him by his own words
- etc

Of course some of those decisions are still playing out, and part of the problem is we never know how much of a hand Dan Gilbert had in those decisions ... but the hard part is what comes next and Altman is learning on the job.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#327 » by jbk1234 » Sun Jun 6, 2021 2:35 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:

Yep, I'm glad Koby has made solid picks based on character in the lottery; but we also have to take in to account:

- only got a 2nd round pick out of Boston after finding out the extent of IT's injury
- extending Love
- extending Lue
- etc

Of course some of those decisions are still playing out, and part of the problem is we never know how much of a hand Dan Gilbert had in those decisions ... but the hard part is what comes next and Altman is learning on the job.
On the Kyrie trade, I think the problem is that the Nets pick was the best asset on the table. So it didn't really matter if IT was hurt because the Cavs weren't in a position to walk away.

There's a reasonable argument that the Cavs should've taken SGA, or Mikal Bridges who they were actually rumored to be interested in, over Sexton. But I think that needs to be balanced against how the guys who were selected before Sexton have worked out. I don't need you to nail the pick, I do need you not to blow it.

If there was a redraft of Garland's draft, I'm still taking Garland. I'm not sure that N.O. still trades out of their pick though. They might keep it and draft Garland themselves. That's nailing the pick.

Okoro is the big question mark. I can see him developing an offensive game and becoming a two-way all star, preferably at the 2, but he can get by at 3. I can see him as a Marcus Smart type off the bench. That pick will likely define Altman's performance and he's entitled to at least another season to see how it plays.

His gambles cost us meh second round picks and Dan Gilbert's money. I'm fine with taking them at that price even if they didn't work out.

Love's extension was a mistake but an understandable one as the Cavs just watched Kyrie and LBJ leave in the 12 months that preceded it.

What I didn't like, and believe was a huge problem, was how the situation with Sexton, Love, and Beilein deteriorated, how easy it was to see coming, and how the F.O. only intervened after Love blew up. If you're trying to showcase Love for a trade on that contract, you need to rein in Sexton for a month or two. Maybe you even need to bench Garland a couple months his rookie year.

If Beilein doesn't get it because he fundamentally doesn't understand the difference between college and the pros, you've got to sit him down and explain it. Once you pay a guy that much money with an eye towards trading him, you have to make some effort to protect his trade value. This was not a situation where we were playing well with young guards playing YOLO ball either. It was borderline unwatchable. That's where I think Altman's inexperience hurt.

As far as the rest, I think those were probably Gilbert's decisions or at least heavily influenced by Gilbert.

cbosh4mvp wrote:
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#328 » by JonFromVA » Sun Jun 6, 2021 2:43 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:I feel like Kobe has drafted well based on where he was picking and he hasn't made any bad trades. He's made a couple of pretty good ones. Those are the two most important aspects of what a rebuilding GM can do.

- extending Love
- extending Lue
- etc

On the Kyrie trade, I think the problem is that the Nets pick was the best asset on the table. So it didn't really matter if IT was hurt because the Cavs weren't in a position to walk away.

There's a reasonable argument that the Cavs should've taken SGA, or Mikal Bridges who they were actually rumored to be interested in, over Sexton. But I think that needs to be balanced against how the guys who were selected before Sexton have worked out. I don't need you to nail the pick, I do need you not to blow it.

If there was a redraft of Garland's draft, I'm still taking Garland. I'm not sure that N.O. still trades out of their pick though. They might keep it and draft Garland themselves. That's nailing the pick.

Okoro is the big question mark. I can see him developing an offensive game and becoming a two-way all star, preferably at the 2, but he can get by at 3. I can see him as a Marcus Smart type off the bench. That pick will likely define Altman's performance and he's entitled to at least another season to see how it plays.

His gambles cost us meh second round picks and Dan Gilbert's money. I'm fine with taking them at that price even if they didn't work out.

Love's extension was a mistake but an understandable one as the Cavs just watched Kyrie and LBJ leave in the 12 months that preceded it.

What I didn't like, and believe was a huge problem, was how the situation with Sexton, Love, and Beilein deteriorated, how easy it was to see coming, and how the F.O. only intervened after Love blew up. If you're trying to showcase Love for a trade on that contract, you need to rein in Sexton for a month or two. Maybe you even need to bench Garland a couple months his rookie year.

If Beilein doesn't get it because he fundamentally doesn't understand the difference between college and the pros, you've got to sit him down and explain it. Once you pay a guy that much money with an eye towards trading him, you have to make some effort to protect his trade value. This was not a situation where we were playing well with young guards playing YOLO ball either. It was borderline unwatchable. That's where I think Altman's inexperience hurt.

As far as the rest, I think those were probably Gilbert's decisions or at least heavily influenced by Gilbert.

Believe it or not, I wasn't actually looking to re litigate all those moves many of them I supported at the time, just trying to express that Koby's track record consists of a number of questionable moves that have not to this point come together, and we can't even guess what his vision is for the team because he never talks about it.

I still feel if we get lucky and draft Cade that he should able to fill enough holes for the current roster to work, but short of that Koby may very well need to be getting to work before the bills come due. Do I trust him? No clue.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#329 » by jbk1234 » Wed Jun 9, 2021 2:11 am

Read on Twitter
?s=20

If it's going to be hard to move Love for cap space ahead of the summer of 2022, and it sure sounds like it, then I hope we don't take back an even bigger deal unless it's attached to a considerably better player.

Also if there's far more teams looking to move off of long-term money ahead of next summer, and only a couple of teams with considerable cap space, then that future space is gonna go at a premium.

cbosh4mvp wrote:
toooskies
Analyst
And1: 1,605

Post#330 » by toooskies » Wed Jun 9, 2021 3:53 am

jbk1234 wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=20

If it's going to be hard to move Love for cap space ahead of the summer of 2022, and it sure sounds like it, then I hope we don't take back an even bigger deal unless it's attached to a considerably better player.

Also if there's far more teams looking to move off of long-term money ahead of next summer, and only a couple of teams with considerable cap space, then that future space is gonna go at a premium.

A ton of superstars have player options for 2022-23. So either year (or neither) could be big free agent years. But you do need to wait till the 2022 offseason to find out.
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#331 » by JonFromVA » Wed Jun 9, 2021 4:23 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=20

That's kind of our go to move. I'm sure they'd plan differently if they knew a free-agent was actually considering signing with the Cavs.

Realistically, we might come away from a Love trade with multiple players and some of them might be easier to move in a follow on deal - kind of like we were apparently close to being able to trade Prince before he got hurt.

Another possibility is that sometimes in a swap of bad contracts the fit actually works out for the better like when we traded Hughes+others for Ben Wallace+others.
Stillwater
RealGM
And1: 3,655

Post#332 » by Stillwater » Wed Jun 9, 2021 5:56 pm

I just don't see the point in moving much of anyone outside maybe Cedi, or Prince provided it does not cost assets to move them.
They are not moving Love I dont see how anyone in the front office could keep their job if they attach value to do it.
SUNDOWN BRINGS A WELCOME CHANGE TO EVERYTHING THAT'S HIDING
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#333 » by jbk1234 » Wed Jun 9, 2021 9:22 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=20

That's kind of our go to move. I'm sure they'd plan differently if they knew a free-agent was actually considering signing with the Cavs.

Realistically, we might come away from a Love trade with multiple players and some of them might be easier to move in a follow on deal - kind of like we were apparently close to being able to trade Prince before he got hurt.

Another possibility is that sometimes in a swap of bad contracts the fit actually works out for the better like when we traded Hughes+others for Ben Wallace+others.
That's where I get stuck. Even if all Love is a $30M stretch 4 who can rebound some while playing bad defense, is a $30M+ guard, whose deal might be longer, a better fit? I can't see it.

cbosh4mvp wrote:
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#334 » by JonFromVA » Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:21 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=20

That's where I get stuck. Even if all Love is a $30M stretch 4 who can rebound some while playing bad defense, is a $30M+ guard, whose deal might be longer, a better fit? I can't see it.

Agreed, it doesn't make sense, but that Ben Wallace deal came out of left field and most fans were unhappy with it at the time it went down.

It all depends whether there's a method behind the madness. Some sort of plan beyond thinking it would be nice to have another local kid playing for the Cavs.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#335 » by jbk1234 » Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:00 pm

Stillwater wrote:I just don't see the point in moving much of anyone outside maybe Cedi, or Prince provided it does not cost assets to move them.
They are not moving Love I dont see how anyone in the front office could keep their job if they attach value to do it.

Prince had the highest 3 point % on the second worst 3 point shooting team in the NBA last season and is on an expiring contract. I'm only moving him for real value.

Cedi needs to get back to 2019-20 season form to have trade value. That drop off from 3 just killed the idea of him as a plus player.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#336 » by Stillwater » Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:57 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
Stillwater wrote:I just don't see the point in moving much of anyone outside maybe Cedi, or Prince provided it does not cost assets to move them.

Prince had the highest 3 point % on the second worst 3 point shooting team in the NBA last season and is on an expiring contract. I'm only moving him for real value.

Cedi needs to get back to 2019-20 season form to have trade value. That drop off from 3 just killed the idea of him as a plus player.

I am trading either or both just to get rid of them at this point. Cedi sucks now and never is happy in his role off the bench so trade him for a mid 2nd and a back up pg or something. Prince they can probably at least get a high 2nd for but maybe they have to just bring him off the bench in a very limited role.
This team is not winning anyway
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#337 » by jbk1234 » Fri Jun 11, 2021 1:45 pm

Stillwater wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:

I am trading either or both just to get rid of them at this point. Cedi sucks now and never is happy in his role off the bench so trade him for a mid 2nd and a back up pg or something. Prince they can probably at least get a high 2nd for but maybe they have to just bring him off the bench in a very limited role.

I'm fine trading Cedi, but after the worst season of his career, now is not an optimal time. He'd probably cost a minor asset to move even on his deal. I wouldn't care if the Cavs attached a second to ship him out, but they really need to have a better player waiting in the wings to sign before they do something like that. That stupid hero ball he played from 3 point range last year destroyed his percentage from out there. Those full-sprint turnaround GOAT shots were cringe. The better plan might be to tell him to catch and shoot from 3, bring up his percentage, and then move him.

On Prince, he's expiring and had the highest % from 3 point land on the team last year. The Cavs should need to hold onto him unless an Allen like opportunity presents itself.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#338 » by Stillwater » Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:21 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
Stillwater wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:

I'm fine trading Cedi, but after the worst season of his career, now is not an optimal time. He'd probably cost a minor asset to move even on his deal. I wouldn't care if the Cavs attached a second to ship him out, but they really need to have a better player waiting in the wings to sign before they do something like that. That stupid hero ball he played from 3 point range last year destroyed his percentage from out there. Those full-sprint turnaround GOAT shots were cringe. The better plan might be to tell him to catch and shoot from 3, bring up his percentage, and then move him.

On Prince, he's expiring and had the highest % from 3 point land on the team last year. The Cavs should need to hold onto him unless an Allen like opportunity presents itself.

I am pretty sure if they don't do it now , even though his value is poor it is obviously due to situation. If they wait they risk him falling completely out of the rotation and having no trade value at all or continuing his hero bs.
I think something along the lines of Cedi and the Houston 22 2nd for the out of favor Reddish from ATL. I hated him as a prospect but it turns out the yips are curable if the Cavs are willing to invest in helping him get out of it. Maybe Love and his mental health gurus can unleash the beast within. i dont know maybe I am too drunk to see clearly but I would consider trading Cedi for one of my least favorite players at this point
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#339 » by jbk1234 » Tue Jun 29, 2021 9:54 pm

The Blazers have made a complete mess of this. If he doesn't have a good answer, that he's willing to go public with, don't hire him.
Read on Twitter
?s=20

cbosh4mvp wrote:
toooskies
Analyst
And1: 1,605

Post#340 » by toooskies » Wed Jun 30, 2021 4:50 pm

jbk1234 wrote:The Blazers have made a complete mess of this. If he doesn't have a good answer, that he's willing to go public with, don't hire him.
Read on Twitter
?s=20

To be fair, the question that was cut off was a follow-up after a fairly lengthy response on the subject. Reporters literally could ask him questions about it all day, and I'm sure at the right time they will get that opportunity. The introductory press conference shouldn't be wall-to-wall "what happened 20+ years ago" when there's other timely topics to cover, like "how's your relationship with the superstar who might want to leave" and "how do you get this team from good to great?".

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers