Moderator: ijspeelman

Stillwater
RealGM
And1: 3,655

Re: Cavs roster & training camp 

Post#81 » by Stillwater » Wed Oct 4, 2017 2:48 am

afarmenian wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:
PerkinsFor3 wrote:I bet, if you waive Tavares, some team will jump in and claim him.

Without a doubt. Those summer FA signings of J. Green & Calderon were questionable at the time and look really dumb right now.

Disagree Jeff Green is going to be in this rotation he is a solid player to bring off the bench. He fills in the role Derrick Williams had last year with just as much athleticism and better ball handling.

Tavares is just too slow and stiff. I cannot see a regular role for him on a contending team.

Tavares Felder are the easy waives being non guaranteed and partial with a buyout or waive of RJ the next most likely.
Tavares is slow, but his rim protection is ridiculous and should be held onto if at all possible . I would eat Calderon's contract as we are guard heavy now, retain Tavares.
Green could help out some, but personally see him as expendable at this point in his career.
SUNDOWN BRINGS A WELCOME CHANGE TO EVERYTHING THAT'S HIDING
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,089

Post#82 » by jbk1234 » Thu Oct 5, 2017 1:29 am

I feel like Perkins, Frye, Calderon, & even RJ are going to waste roster spots this year. I'd try like hell to attach a couple second round picks, or the Cavs 1st, to them Frye, RJ & Felder and salary dump them. This team is too old.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
Dupp
RealGM
And1: 66,676

Post#83 » by Dupp » Thu Oct 5, 2017 1:34 am

A first to dump expiring contracts? No way. You can barely get a first for boogie recently.

Frye and RJ are both very important to the team.

Wasting a spot on Perkins would be insane
yoyoboy
RealGM
And1: 18,793

Post#84 » by yoyoboy » Thu Oct 5, 2017 1:40 am

I actually like RJ and Frye. They're great for the locker room and I mean Frye averaged 9/4 on 61% TS in 19 mpg last year for us. He's just a solid role player. And in the playoffs he was even better.

Jefferson isn't as good as Frye on the court but per RAPM he's still pretty solid and he doesn't try to do too much on offense and defends well.

Calderon is absolutely terrible. There was no excuse for us even signing him in the first place. Felder needs to gtfo. Perkins needs to go. Still don't like Green at all. And I'm starting to lose all faith in Shumpert ever being useful like he was in 2015 and 2016.
yoyoboy
RealGM
And1: 18,793

Post#85 » by yoyoboy » Thu Oct 5, 2017 1:47 am

I miss the latter-2015 season Cavs. Honestly I think that was the best team we ever had. Mozgov was a monster protecting the rim. Shumpert was elite defensively. JR was great. Kyrie was Kyrie. LeBron is honestly better now, but that group as a whole was still better. We were like 33-3 with the Big 3 playing after the trades.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#86 » by jbk1234 » Thu Oct 5, 2017 4:15 am

Dupp wrote:A first to dump expiring contracts? No way. You can barely get a first for boogie recently.

Frye and RJ are both very important to the team.

Wasting a spot on Perkins would be insane

If Frye & RJ are very important to our team, our team is in trouble. It was one preseason game but our bench looked old and un-athletic. Frye's is a complete negative if he can't hit at least 50% from 3-point range. His defense is non-existent & his rebounding is well below average. The Cavs can use a roster spot on J. Green or RJ but not both. I'd rather take a flyer on younger players who at least have the possibility of getting better than retain older players who are definitely headed down hill. The Hawks aren't a good team and that performance left a lot to be desired.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
Dupp
RealGM
And1: 66,676

Post#87 » by Dupp » Thu Oct 5, 2017 4:18 am

Nah chemistry and lockeroom presence they are worth it. On court who cares. Also frye does give ok minutes and our fc is thin.

RJ might go but no need to attach picks.

I'd move Calderon, tarvers and felder. Calderon is completely meaningless
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#88 » by jbk1234 » Thu Oct 5, 2017 4:47 am

Dupp wrote:Nah chemistry and lockeroom presence they are worth it. On court who cares. Also frye does give ok minutes and our fc is thin.

Tavares isn't guaranteed. You can just cut him. But the Cavs really need to get younger & Tavares is probably the best rim protector on the roster.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
tidho
General Manager
And1: 3,064

Post#89 » by tidho » Thu Oct 5, 2017 4:18 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
Dupp wrote:Nah chemistry and lockeroom presence they are worth it. On court who cares. Also frye does give ok minutes and our fc is thin.

Tavares isn't guaranteed. You can just cut him. But the Cavs really need to get younger & Tavares is probably the best rim protector on the roster.

Tavares is an absolute stiff that can't move his feet. He may be the best rim protector, but he'll never play.
I suppose the last two way contract comes down to him of Felder but there is no way he makes the 15.
tidho
General Manager
And1: 3,064

Post#90 » by tidho » Thu Oct 5, 2017 4:22 pm

Rose, JR, LeBron, Crowder, Love

Wade, Shump, Korver, Green, TT

IT, Calderon, Osman, Frye, Zzzzz

That's the most likely 15 unless they look longer term and consider how useless Calderon will become and keep Jefferson instead.

The good news about the Hawks game is that is showed without a doubt that Perkins and Felder shouldn't be sniffing the 15.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#91 » by jbk1234 » Thu Oct 5, 2017 9:01 pm

tidho wrote:Rose, JR, LeBron, Crowder, Love

Wade, Shump, Korver, Green, TT

IT, Calderon, Osman, Frye, Zzzzz

That's the most likely 15 unless they look longer term and consider how useless Calderon will become and keep Jefferson instead.

The good news about the Hawks game is that is showed without a doubt that Perkins and Felder shouldn't be sniffing the 15.

Sadly, I think the list of players who shouldn't is longer than that.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
gflem
Analyst
And1: 276

Post#92 » by gflem » Thu Oct 5, 2017 10:00 pm

Did Korver make a basket last night? He missed at least 2 or 3 wide open shots. He looked a lot like the guy in the finals that couldn't make a shot, and I don't think "the moment was too big for him" in a pre season game. That contract is going to look might bad if he doesn't get his shot back. I sincerely hope he isn't done, at his age the possibility surely exists.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#93 » by jbk1234 » Thu Oct 5, 2017 10:38 pm

gflem wrote:Did Korver make a basket last night? He missed at least 2 or 3 wide open shots. He looked a lot like the guy in the finals that couldn't make a shot, and I don't think "the moment was too big for him" in a pre season game. That contract is going to look might bad if he doesn't get his shot back. I sincerely hope he isn't done, at his age the possibility surely exists.

He made a couple. There were also a couple where he was wide open and Rose and/or Wade didn't pass him the ball. Either Rose or Wade is going to run that second unit (if Calderon is running it something has gone very, very wrong) and the need Korver out there with them.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#94 » by Stillwater » Sat Oct 7, 2017 4:19 pm

Jordan Matthews recently waived .Bring him in as the 2nd two-way anyone?
was a solid defensive sg in Cal his soph and Junior seasons and stellar defensively his senior yr after transferring to the weaker mountain west. He is a clutch 3 point shooter and would be a nice addition to the end of the bench as a plug in ,esp if we are able to move Shumpert despite his value being low as utilized compared to his contract.
johnnyballgame
Senior
And1: 76

Post#95 » by johnnyballgame » Sun Oct 8, 2017 2:02 am

Stillwater wrote:Jordan Matthews recently waived .Bring him in as the 2nd two-way anyone?
was a solid defensive sg in Cal his soph and Junior seasons and stellar defensively his senior yr after transferring to the weaker mountain west. He is a clutch 3 point shooter and would be a nice addition to the end of the bench as a plug in ,esp if we are able to move Shumpert despite his value being low as utilized compared to his contract.

Absolutely Jordan Matthews! As you already pointed out he was incredible in the Mountain West. I hope we don't move Shumpert though. I feel like he's about to break out and he should be our starting PG. Shumpert's been tearing it up in training camp. I don't think a minor injury can stop him and he's insurance in case Lebron leaves next season. If Lebron leaves, the Cavs can finally start using Shumpert properly, build a team around his skills and focus on getting value for Gilbert's dollar.

I also feel like it would be smart of the Cavs to start looking at more of the cuts from the NBA's better teams like the Hawks. They're not going to be able to fill out the roster unless they do. And there was this guy at the local playground the other day who was FREAKING AWESOME! I think they should take a look at him as he was stupendous defensively though he wasn't used properly on offense until this bigger guy left to go to work and at that point he totally took over the game! I think he'd fit nicely and improve the Cavs overall game plan because his skills are totally opposite of the rest of the players. It should totally enhance what the other guys are doing by him not doing any of that stuff.
Kyrie most of the time when he shoots starts with the ball and then dribbles a while then shoots. -statistical analysis from a 'longtime' Cavs fan (June 2017)
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#96 » by Stillwater » Sun Oct 8, 2017 2:34 pm

johnnyballgame wrote:
Stillwater wrote:Jordan Matthews recently waived .Bring him in as the 2nd two-way anyone?

Absolutely Jordan Matthews! As you already pointed out he was incredible in the Mountain West. I hope we don't move Shumpert though. I feel like he's about to break out and he should be our starting PG. Shumpert's been tearing it up in training camp. I don't think a minor injury can stop him and he's insurance in case Lebron leaves next season. If Lebron leaves, the Cavs can finally start using Shumpert properly, build a team around his skills and focus on getting value for Gilbert's dollar.

I also feel like it would be smart of the Cavs to start looking at more of the cuts from the NBA's better teams like the Hawks. They're not going to be able to fill out the roster unless they do. And there was this guy at the local playground the other day who was FREAKING AWESOME! I think they should take a look at him as he was stupendous defensively though he wasn't used properly on offense until this bigger guy left to go to work and at that point he totally took over the game! I think he'd fit nicely and improve the Cavs overall game plan because his skills are totally opposite of the rest of the players. It should totally enhance what the other guys are doing by him not doing any of that stuff.

and here we have sarcasm at it's finest
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#97 » by Stillwater » Sun Oct 8, 2017 5:53 pm

Kendall Marshall available / waived by bucks. elite distributor not much else worth getting exited about,but would be an improvement to Calderon
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#98 » by jbk1234 » Sun Oct 8, 2017 5:54 pm

johnnyballgame wrote:

Three times is trolling. Don't do this.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
johnnyballgame
Senior
And1: 76

Post#99 » by johnnyballgame » Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:22 am

jbk1234 wrote:
johnnyballgame wrote:

You caught me. I wasn't just agreeing with the guy.

Take er easy! Bye bye
Kyrie most of the time when he shoots starts with the ball and then dribbles a while then shoots. -statistical analysis from a 'longtime' Cavs fan (June 2017)
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#100 » by Stillwater » Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:41 am

johnnyballgame wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:
johnnyballgame wrote:

You caught me. I wasn't just agreeing with the guy.

That's enough.

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers