Kyrie asked to be traded (UPDATED)

Moderator: ijspeelman

OzCastiel
Senior
And1: 531

Re: Kyrie asked to be traded (UPDATED) 

Post#421 » by OzCastiel » Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:39 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
OzCastiel wrote:Dan Gilbert looks like a clown. Spent an entire week leaking/crying information to Woj, slandering IT and his health, pissed off an agent, risked being ostracized by the league, all for a damn second rounder 3 years from now from miami. & LeBron should stick around and believe in these guys? Good god.

edit- Also I know people are real sensitive here and don't like to have real dialogue but check out O'Connor's piece on Gilbert's presence during this deal. Koby could have looked like a messiah if he just went away.

Consider this an informal warning for trolling. You don't get come here call the owner a clown, accuse the Cavs of slandering IT (the proof will be in the pudding on that one), and then preempt a trolling warning by labeling Cavs fans as too sensitive and afraid of real dialogue.

Why should the owner be above criticism?
Zman80000
Sophomore
And1: 306

Post#422 » by Zman80000 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:31 pm

OzCastiel wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:
OzCastiel wrote:Dan Gilbert looks like a clown. Spent an entire week leaking/crying information to Woj, slandering IT and his health, pissed off an agent, risked being ostracized by the league, all for a damn second rounder 3 years from now from miami. & LeBron should stick around and believe in these guys? Good god.

edit- Also I know people are real sensitive here and don't like to have real dialogue but check out O'Connor's piece on Gilbert's presence during this deal. Koby could have looked like a messiah if he just went away.

Consider this an informal warning for trolling. You don't get come here call the owner a clown, accuse the Cavs of slandering IT (the proof will be in the pudding on that one), and then preempt a trolling warning by labeling Cavs fans as too sensitive and afraid of real dialogue.

And insulting the people that post here is ok?
You may not even realize you were trolling, scary.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,089

Post#423 » by jbk1234 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:07 pm

OzCastiel wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:

He's not. That's not what I said. I was clear in what I said. I'm not interested in debating this. If you'd like a formal warning, I can oblige you.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
soxfan2003
RealGM
And1: 4,178

Post#424 » by soxfan2003 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:44 pm

Celtics favorite team since 1979 and Warriors 2nd favorite since mid 1990's.

This is one of those trades where the Cavs got more value but unless the Celtics were going down the rebuilding route still makes sense for Boston.

I don't believe Crowder and IT fit best trying to be key starters on the Celtics and in IT's case a rotation player against a Lebron led team like Cavs but they probably have a decent role against the Warriors as long as IT accepts 6th man role.

What is the difference, Warriors don't have Lebron that can really kill you even in the halfcourt if your team defense is mediocre and they are less reliant upon driving to the basket in the halfcourt. Can IT guard Curry? No but the thing is Curry will shoot 3's against him instead of driving to the basket and as great as Curry is, he can still miss wide open 3's, never-mind lightly contested ones.

IT used strategically will at least make the Warriors work on the defensive end.

I don't think the Cavs were beating a healthy Warriors team in 2018 but this trade still allows the Cavs to win a championship without making an additional move if Warriors suffer an injury to one of their top 3-4 players. And if the Cavs want more of a shot against healthy Warriors team, they can use the Nets pick before the deadline to get better.

This whole nation of IT's injury and compensation was ridiculous. From a Cavs perspective, they don't want or really need him to play until mid March/April. IT if he sits out that long isn't going to forget how to play basketball.

The regular season just isn't that important.
gflem
Analyst
And1: 276

Post#425 » by gflem » Fri Sep 1, 2017 11:05 pm

First off I think Gilbert was behind trying to get more (as reported) and I think he made his FO look bad by doing so. All the drama for a 2nd that will likely amount to nothing? I wonder how Altman feels about all of this, not that he can say.
Still, the deal seems fair enough IF, Thomas is playing close to where he was last season by early January and is able to finish out the season without re-injuring his hip.
If that isn't the case it doesn't really matter about the pick because we will have missed what may be the teams last opportunity to win a title. A total rebuild is at least 5 years to respectability let alone contention in a city where it is difficult to attract free agents to play.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#426 » by jbk1234 » Sat Sep 2, 2017 6:05 am

gflem wrote:First off I think Gilbert was behind trying to get more (as reported) and I think he made his FO look bad by doing so. All the drama for a 2nd that will likely amount to nothing? I wonder how Altman feels about all of this, not that he can say.
Still, the deal seems fair enough IF, Thomas is playing close to where he was last season by early January and is able to finish out the season without re-injuring his hip.
If that isn't the case it doesn't really matter about the pick because we will have missed what may be the teams last opportunity to win a title. A total rebuild is at least 5 years to respectability let alone contention in a city where it is difficult to attract free agents to play.

Gilbert is the only reason the trade didn't get voided.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
hookshot199
Analyst
And1: 723

Post#427 » by hookshot199 » Sat Sep 2, 2017 1:27 pm

soxfan2003 wrote:Celtics favorite team since 1979 and Warriors 2nd favorite since mid 1990's.

This is one of those trades where the Cavs got more value but unless the Celtics were going down the rebuilding route still makes sense for Boston.

I don't believe Crowder and IT fit best trying to be key starters on the Celtics and in IT's case a rotation player against a Lebron led team like Cavs but they probably have a decent role against the Warriors as long as IT accepts 6th man role.

What is the difference, Warriors don't have Lebron that can really kill you even in the halfcourt if your team defense is mediocre and they are less reliant upon driving to the basket in the halfcourt. Can IT guard Curry? No but the thing is Curry will shoot 3's against him instead of driving to the basket and as great as Curry is, he can still miss wide open 3's, never-mind lightly contested ones.

IT used strategically will at least make the Warriors work on the defensive end.

I don't think the Cavs were beating a healthy Warriors team in 2018 but this trade still allows the Cavs to win a championship without making an additional move if Warriors suffer an injury to one of their top 3-4 players. And if the Cavs want more of a shot against healthy Warriors team, they can use the Nets pick before the deadline to get better.

This whole nation of IT's injury and compensation was ridiculous. From a Cavs perspective, they don't want or really need him to play until mid March/April. IT if he sits out that long isn't going to forget how to play basketball.

The regular season just isn't that important.

1) Home court advantage is a big deal going into the playoffs. If IT doesn't play until March or April, that puts the Cavs at a huge disadvantage particularly if they must play in Boston. The only new wrinkle to this is that the Celtics have lost two of their best defensive players, thus the home court goon tactics of Smart and Rozier may be less effective.

2) Assuming IT comes back in March or April, just before the playoffs, he'll be a mere shadow of himself and probably a 20-minute off-the-bench guy at best.

3) LeBron, although still the best player in the game, has physical limitations. He looked tired in at least two of those late-season losses. I believe both Atlanta losses were due to fatigue. I think Lue will need to manage his minutes better.

4) I would have voided the trade and made Kyrie honor his contract.

Good luck, Cavs. I hope IT can play.
gflem
Analyst
And1: 276

Post#428 » by gflem » Sat Sep 2, 2017 4:16 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
gflem wrote:First off I think Gilbert was behind trying to get more (as reported) and I think he made his FO look bad by doing so. All the drama for a 2nd that will likely amount to nothing? I wonder how Altman feels about all of this, not that he can say.

Are you saying Altman wanted the deal voided and Gilbert wouldn't let him do that?
Of course Gilbert had to ok the deal, he obviously has the final say on all deals.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#429 » by jbk1234 » Sat Sep 2, 2017 4:35 pm

gflem wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:

Are you saying Altman wanted the deal voided and Gilbert wouldn't let him do that?
Of course Gilbert had to ok the deal, he obviously has the final say on all deals.

I'm saying that Gilbert really wanted the Brooklyn pick. LBJ wanted to kill the deal but he won't extend so Gilbert kept the pick.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Stillwater
RealGM
And1: 3,655

Post#430 » by Stillwater » Sat Sep 2, 2017 4:47 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
gflem wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:

I'm saying that Gilbert really wanted the Brooklyn pick. LBJ wanted to kill the deal but he won't extend so Gilbert kept the pick.

yeah a report on this site basically says the same
https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/247299/Report-Dan-Gilbert-Was-In-Charge-Of-Cavs-Negotiations-On-Kyrie-Irving-Trade
SUNDOWN BRINGS A WELCOME CHANGE TO EVERYTHING THAT'S HIDING
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,470

Post#431 » by Jamaaliver » Wed Oct 19, 2022 5:39 pm

I know it's been years since it happened.

But I'm curious if Cavs fans have any feelings of vindication after hearing this.

Or...no feelings at all?

Read on Twitter

Irving also shared some of his early career regrets, specifically focusing on what he’s learned about “the NBA business.” He said when he asked for a trade out of Cleveland in 2017, “there were a lot of things that happened in the business that I didn’t understand.”

“When I asked for a trade from Cleveland, the one thing that I look back on is: Did I exhaust as many opportunities to get closer to guys when I felt some type of difference? There was a lot of things that happened in the business that I didn’t understand,” he said. “Asking for a trade — I don’t think it was my time to ask for a trade. And especially to go to Boston, who was No. 2 or No. 1 in our conference, it’s just right down the street. I’m grateful that I had my time there because it was one of the most historical franchises that again, I did not know the power of our industry.
The Athletic
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#432 » by jbk1234 » Wed Oct 19, 2022 5:47 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:I know it's been years since it happened.

But I'm curious if Cavs fans have any feelings of vindication after hearing this.

Or...no feelings at all?

Read on Twitter

Irving also shared some of his early career regrets, specifically focusing on what he’s learned about “the NBA business.” He said when he asked for a trade out of Cleveland in 2017, “there were a lot of things that happened in the business that I didn’t understand.”

“When I asked for a trade from Cleveland, the one thing that I look back on is: Did I exhaust as many opportunities to get closer to guys when I felt some type of difference? There was a lot of things that happened in the business that I didn’t understand,” he said. “Asking for a trade — I don’t think it was my time to ask for a trade. And especially to go to Boston, who was No. 2 or No. 1 in our conference, it’s just right down the street. I’m grateful that I had my time there because it was one of the most historical franchises that again, I did not know the power of our industry.
The Athletic

Personally, just me, but there's too much Eddie Haskel in Kyrie for me to know whether this is genuine personal growth, or whether he now realizes just how much he's damaged his own market value. I wish him the best. Life's too short for grudges, but I wouldn't want him back in Cleveland based on a single quote. I still wouldn't trust him to be a team player.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
JonFromVA
RealGM
And1: 4,373

Post#433 » by JonFromVA » Wed Oct 19, 2022 6:16 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:I know it's been years since it happened.

Or...no feelings at all?

Read on Twitter

The Athletic

Nah, Kyrie has expressed some regrets before, it doesn't change the fact that LeBron was packing his bags and part of the reason was because our "big 3" wasn't big enough to compete with the W's with KD.

The Cavs didn't need Kyrie to stick around, they needed him to grow up fast. He had a great opportunity to learn from LeBron and then succeed him that he wasted because he was happy with being what he was rather than what he could become.

But hey, if he keeps it up, there's still some love in Cleveland for Irving and there's a chance he'll be able to show up for a 2016 Championship remembrance at some point and not be booed.

Some awful takes from Boston fans telling us what a steal we were getting in injured IT, Crowder and Zizic though.
mcfly1204
General Manager
And1: 1,839

Post#434 » by mcfly1204 » Wed Oct 19, 2022 6:34 pm

I couldn't care less as to what Kyrie has to say. That guy is a super-talented goof with an inflated ego. We all saw his true colors the past 5 years...
Well at least we're not Detroit!
toooskies
Analyst
And1: 1,640

Post#435 » by toooskies » Wed Oct 19, 2022 7:37 pm

I'd love to hear him elaborate about the "things that happened in the business" and "the power of our industry", because that's just vague filler. Is that a bigger admission that he got his current reputation because he didn't understand what he was doing? That he might've had a bigger platform in and out of the league if he didn't go around sabotaging teams he plays for, starting with Cleveland?

But it definitely didn't sound like "I wish I didn't break up that team, we had a good thing going and it's my fault for ruining it", which is what I'd want to hear as a Cleveland fan.

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers