ImageImageImage

2012 NBA Redraft Dion Waiters???

Moderator: ijspeelman

Stillwater
RealGM
And1: 3,655

Re: 2012 NBA Redraft Dion Waiters??? 

Post#1 » by Stillwater » Mon Aug 7, 2017 8:32 pm

Byron scott's pick as he had Waiters #2 on his board behind AD & wanted another dynamic scorer/creator, with Beal gone Waiters was the top of the list over Lillard as the player more likely to play well off Irving than Lillard. Drummond was apparently never a consideration for the Cavs at that point having already drafted a similar muscle man in the paint in Thompson the year before. Adding Drummond would have meant they had two bigs that could not create or stretch the floor. That was never an option.
I personally expected Barnes to be the pick with MKG gone at 2,who they were expected to take at 2 by most as they tried to trade up and get the #2 but failed. Turns out Beal is the man that had 1 step up on Waiters for the majority in the Cavs front office & would have been the #2 selection for Cleveland,despite Scott being willing to take Waiters even at #2.
I don't think they made a mistake not drafting Drummond given the circumstances of the Roster as it was, but I think they would have been better off in retrospect had they taken Terrence Ross or Harrison Barnes as a running mate with Irving, but hindsight 20/20 and all that
SUNDOWN BRINGS A WELCOME CHANGE TO EVERYTHING THAT'S HIDING
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,156

Post#2 » by jbk1234 » Tue Aug 8, 2017 2:15 am

Until Drummond shows he can be an asset in the post season, I don't regret passing on him. If I'm taking a guy in the top 5, I don't want to pull him off the floor in the 4th quarter because of his free throws. Also his PNR defense is abysmal. He's just not that good of player for what he makes.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
Stillwater
RealGM
And1: 3,655

Post#3 » by Stillwater » Tue Aug 8, 2017 2:22 am

I see the original poster was deleted ? guess he realized the error of his ways and bailed
SUNDOWN BRINGS A WELCOME CHANGE TO EVERYTHING THAT'S HIDING
Dupp
RealGM
And1: 66,679

Post#4 » by Dupp » Tue Aug 8, 2017 9:42 am

Cant remember exactly who but someone was pushing or suggested Gilbert draft Draymond in that draft. Which absolutely would have been the right pick.
KuruptedCav
Analyst
And1: 1,125

Post#5 » by KuruptedCav » Sat Sep 9, 2017 10:23 pm

Dupp wrote:Cant remember exactly who but someone was pushing or suggested Gilbert draft Draymond in that draft. Which absolutely would have been the right pick.

Tom Izzo.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
BdeRegt
Lead Assistant
And1: 724

Post#6 » by BdeRegt » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:16 am

Knowing what is known now and assuming the top picks before don't change, I think Draymond Green is obvious choice in a re-draft. If looking at potential lottery picks, Harrison Barnes would have been best choice although don't think he develops well on a losing team. Looking at that draft, I don't know if there is a real good pick for building the team around Kyrie besides Draymond.

Yes, I'm a Warriors fan but think I'm realistic on Draymond's value and like to pay attention to this board and a few other teams that I find most interesting to watch this season. Hope people don't have a problem with this.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,156

Post#7 » by jbk1234 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:27 pm

BdeRegt wrote:Knowing what is known now and assuming the top picks before don't change, I think Draymond Green is obvious choice in a re-draft. If looking at potential lottery picks, Harrison Barnes would have been best choice although don't think he develops well on a losing team. Looking at that draft, I don't know if there is a real good pick for building the team around Kyrie besides Draymond.

Yes, I'm a Warriors fan but think I'm realistic on Draymond's value and like to pay attention to this board and a few other teams that I find most interesting to watch this season. Hope people don't have a problem with this.

Draymond is clearly better than Waiters and everyone drafted after him. Only Crowder & Middleton have an argument (both of whom were also taken in the second round). But if you only go by the first round, then only Barnes has an argument v. Waiters and both guys have disappointed in different ways. I do think Barnes would've fit much better with Kyrie than Waiters.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers