ImageImageImage

Nets pick watch

Moderator: ijspeelman

Dupp
RealGM
And1: 66,679

Nets pick watch 

Post#1 » by Dupp » Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:56 am

Might sound silly but something i've kinda missed since we've been good is keeping track of draft position and also watching players develop.

This season we get to do one of those things. Doubt we trade the pick as Dan seems worried about bron leaving.
DaddyCool19
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,392

Re: Nets pick watch 

Post#2 » by DaddyCool19 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:46 am

Where do you think the pick could end up? I think anything between 1-8 seems possible. I think the Hawks, Bulls, Knicks (once Melo is gone) and the Suns(especially if they trade Bledsoe) could tank.

Then there are teams like Pacers (who most likely would rather treadmill then rebuild), Magic, Lakers and Kings who could lose enough to be dangerous for the Nets pick.
Stadium5
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,556

Post#3 » by Stadium5 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:53 pm

Congrats

First LeBron
Then Wiggins
Then Kyrie
Now Bagley
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Post#4 » by No-Man » Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:21 pm

Could go anywhere from 4/5th to 9/10th pre-lotto, I do think the Nets of the bottom 9 teams are gonna be the best on offense by a mile, they are better than Chicago, Phoenix, New York and Sacramento in my mind, I'd put them If I had to in a tier with LA and Atlanta for picks 5th to 7th, just ahead of Indy and Orlando.

Still, a top7 pick, which is a safe projection, pre-lotto (cause it could jump, who knows) it's a really good asset if your team knows how to draft.
jirrit
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,622

Post#5 » by jirrit » Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:16 pm

You might get some Nets fans in here to complain about this thread not being sportmanlike.

GL, HF.
Stillwater
RealGM
And1: 3,655

Post#6 » by Stillwater » Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:12 pm

This pick will be top 6 lock it in.
Nets will be better than last year and could even win more games than the Bulls ,( and ATL esp if they tank) but unless another team takes a step back like Orlando or a lot of steps back like Indiana ,The nets will be one of the worse 6 teams in the league still probably their best case is winning enough to be 4th worst.
This pick holds a ton of value going into the season, and maybe less if the Nets are winning a lot where the tradeable value of the pick decreases.
It will be interesting to see what Altman does. I think if they are sold on LBJ leaving they keep it, if they think he will leave if they don't move it for another marqee player pronto, then that is what will happen.
SUNDOWN BRINGS A WELCOME CHANGE TO EVERYTHING THAT'S HIDING
ProcessDoctor
RealGM
And1: 5,194

Post#7 » by ProcessDoctor » Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:29 am

What do Cavs fans think about swinging the pick for Gasol + Jay. Green? Something like BKN pick + TT + Shump + Frye for those two players. Would LeBron even consider leaving with a team that stacked?

IT/Rose/Calderon
Smith/Wade/Korver
LeBron/Crowder/Osman
Love/Green/Jefferson
Gasol/Green/Zizic

You'd probably have to shed JR's contract next year to keep both IT and LeBron, but that big 4 + Crowder/Wade/Green is up to par with GS IMO. I could see you guys winning 2 more championships with that squad, barring injuries.
2023-2024 Philadelphia 76ers:

Lowry/Melton/Payne
Maxey/Hield/Downtin
Oubre/Batum/Council
Harris/Covington/Martin
Embiid/Reed/Bamba
KuruptedCav
Analyst
And1: 1,125

Post#8 » by KuruptedCav » Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:18 am

Stadium5 wrote:Congrats

First LeBron
Then Wiggins
Then Kyrie
Now Bagley

No love for Carr, Daugherty, and Bennett?

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
Roy Tarpley
Veteran
And1: 987

Post#9 » by Roy Tarpley » Thu Aug 31, 2017 6:04 pm

I don't mean to cause any uproar but just wanted to paint the picture for how the Nets could make the playoffs.

The Nets won 20 games last year but Jeremy Lin only played less than half the games due to a hamstring injury. When he did play, the Nets winning percentage was .378, which over 82 games is 31 wins. So this should be the real baseline.

The next question is how will Brook Lopez's loss be offset by the additions of Russell, Crabbe, Carroll, Mozgov, and Allen. Lopez put up 20 pts per game but he was a terrible rebounder and PNR defender. Russell himself should be able to replace Lopez's scoring and Mozgov is a better rebounder and defender. Add to this Crabbe (2nd best 3pt shooter in the NBA last year), a healthy Carroll (3&D), Jarrett Allen (a 6'10" center who runs the 40 better than some guards), a full year of Caris Levert (instead of Bogdanovic at SG), and the Nets could see a plausible path, especially in the weak Eastern Conference, to the 8th seed in the playoffs.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#10 » by Stillwater » Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:28 pm

^^ yeah Cavs could be in the lottery too, but the odds are against both scenarios.
Nets did get better with their additions I will give you that much
chris4celts
Junior
And1: 313

Post#11 » by chris4celts » Wed Sep 6, 2017 12:16 pm

Roy Tarpley wrote:I don't mean to cause any uproar but just wanted to paint the picture for how the Nets could make the playoffs.

The Nets won 20 games last year but Jeremy Lin only played less than half the games due to a hamstring injury. When he did play, the Nets winning percentage was .378, which over 82 games is 31 wins. So this should be the real baseline.

The next question is how will Brook Lopez's loss be offset by the additions of Russell, Crabbe, Carroll, Mozgov, and Allen. Lopez put up 20 pts per game but he was a terrible rebounder and PNR defender. Russell himself should be able to replace Lopez's scoring and Mozgov is a better rebounder and defender. Add to this Crabbe (2nd best 3pt shooter in the NBA last year), a healthy Carroll (3&D), Jarrett Allen (a 6'10" center who runs the 40 better than some guards), a full year of Caris Levert (instead of Bogdanovic at SG), and the Nets could see a plausible path, especially in the weak Eastern Conference, to the 8th seed in the playoffs.

I am not sure I agree with this scenario, but I do believe that Danny Ainge considered this when making the trade.
CaptainCanada
Junior
And1: 259

Post#12 » by CaptainCanada » Thu Sep 7, 2017 2:38 pm

Will Cavs fans cry if Brooklyn makes the playoffs?
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#13 » by Stillwater » Fri Sep 8, 2017 7:34 pm

CaptainCanada wrote:Will Cavs fans cry if Brooklyn makes the playoffs?

Nope we won't still have the pick.
Besides how is Brooklyn going to win enough games for that too happen anyway?
You don't really think D Russel is that good do you? or the injury prone LIN?
lets look at their roster
the top 5 salaries on their roster are 2 un-drafted role players border line starters , 2 late first rounder role players that shouldn't be starters and 1 over paid 2nd rounder that can drain 3's.
1 player on the roster was taken in the lottery and he is the 6th highest paid player.
the rest of their roster is 2 un-drafted scrubs , 1 un drafted role player, 4 2nd rounder out of rotation players on a good team,
1 raw rookie late 1st round big, 1 1st rounder that can't shoot but can defend and 1 1st rounder that was drafted to be their sg of the future and despite avg 44% from 3 in college averaged 32% last season in the NBA and has injury history.
If that team wins enough games to make the playoffs , then the entire eastern conference is tanking.
add that the same idiot owner that put them in that mess thinks he can get Rockets type $ trying to sell that garbage.
CaptainCanada
Junior
And1: 259

Post#14 » by CaptainCanada » Fri Sep 8, 2017 9:50 pm

Stillwater wrote:

the top 5 salaries on their roster are 2 un-drafted role players border line starters , 2 late first rounder role players that shouldn't be starters and 1 over paid 2nd rounder that can drain 3's.
1 player on the roster was taken in the lottery and he is the 6th highest paid player.
the rest of their roster is 2 un-drafted scrubs , 1 un drafted role player, 4 2nd rounder out of rotation players on a good team,
1 raw rookie late 1st round big, 1 1st rounder that can't shoot but can defend and 1 1st rounder that was drafted to be their sg of the future and despite avg 44% from 3 in college averaged 32% last season in the NBA and has injury history.
If that team wins enough games to make the playoffs , then the entire eastern conference is tanking.
add that the same idiot owner that put them in that mess thinks he can get Rockets type $ trying to sell that garbage.

If the Nets start out as a .500 team I see the trade value of the pick to decrease dramatically.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#15 » by Stillwater » Fri Sep 8, 2017 10:16 pm

CaptainCanada wrote:
Stillwater wrote:

If the Nets start out as a .500 team I see the trade value of the pick to decrease dramatically.

if they start off that good I will quit watching basketball,because clearly I know nothing at that point.
The Nets are slightly better than last year at best.
ProcessDoctor
RealGM
And1: 5,194

Post#16 » by ProcessDoctor » Sat Sep 9, 2017 4:31 pm

Recent odds have Nets tied with rest of bottom 6:

http://www.vegasinsider.com/nba/odds/futures/
2023-2024 Philadelphia 76ers:

Lowry/Melton/Payne
Maxey/Hield/Downtin
Oubre/Batum/Council
Harris/Covington/Martin
Embiid/Reed/Bamba
BdeRegt
Lead Assistant
And1: 724

Post#17 » by BdeRegt » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:23 am

I don't think this will have best odds for number 1 and it is ridiculous to expect any pick to end up number one the way lottery works. I think you value this pick entering the season putting about equal expectation on pick 1-8. I am not as high on this next draft class as the current or as Simmons. Cavs have definitely built trading draft picks with protection in case they bottom out. I think Cavs will try to flip the pick for someone like Cousins or even Paul George available again but won't be shocked if keep the pick if can't get a good deal. The value of the pick will depend greatly on record of Nets at deadline/ASB as likely targets won't be available until then.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#18 » by Stillwater » Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:56 pm

BdeRegt wrote:I don't think this will have best odds for number 1 and it is ridiculous to expect any pick to end up number one the way lottery works. I think you value this pick entering the season putting about equal expectation on pick 1-8. I am not as high on this next draft class as the current or as Simmons. Cavs have definitely built trading draft picks with protection in case they bottom out. I think Cavs will try to flip the pick for someone like Cousins or even Paul George available again but won't be shocked if keep the pick if can't get a good deal. The value of the pick will depend greatly on record of Nets at deadline/ASB as likely targets won't be available until then.

They are highly unlikely to flip it for either of those expiring c's,as both are more likely to do well on their new rosters in OKC & N.O. Even if either becomes available, it still remains unlikely that Cleveland would dump the pick for a 1/2 season rental when they clearly value it as an asset for the future.
Your team is 1 sprained ankle away from being on the same level as Cleveland is right now even without Irving's iso,
& that is more likely to happen than not too happen given history.
I wouldn't be surprised if your pg gets injured in the wcf and either stumbles in, or GSW doesn't make it to the finals this season. Everyone is going to be gunning for you now that you have KD & have proven the unfair advantage. If I was the Spurs I would take out Curry or KD if I had the chance just like big dumb Zaza took out Leonard.
BdeRegt
Lead Assistant
And1: 724

Post#19 » by BdeRegt » Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:08 pm

Stillwater wrote:
BdeRegt wrote:I don't think this will have best odds for number 1 and it is ridiculous to expect any pick to end up number one the way lottery works. I think you value this pick entering the season putting about equal expectation on pick 1-8. I am not as high on this next draft class as the current or as Simmons. Cavs have definitely built trading draft picks with protection in case they bottom out. I think Cavs will try to flip the pick for someone like Cousins or even Paul George available again but won't be shocked if keep the pick if can't get a good deal. The value of the pick will depend greatly on record of Nets at deadline/ASB as likely targets won't be available until then.

They are highly unlikely to flip it for either of those expiring c's,as both are more likely to do well on their new rosters in OKC & N.O. Even if either becomes available, it still remains unlikely that Cleveland would dump the pick for a 1/2 season rental when they clearly value it as an asset for the future.
Your team is 1 sprained ankle away from being on the same level as Cleveland is right now even without Irving's iso,
I wouldn't be surprised if your pg gets injured in the wcf and either stumbles in, or GSW doesn't make it to the finals this season. Everyone is going to be gunning for you now that you have KD & have proven the unfair advantage. If I was the Spurs I would take out Curry or KD if I had the chance just like big dumb Zaza took out Leonard.

I think New Orleans will struggle this year and Boogie will become available. I think Cavs end up trading the pick (possibly with some protection on it) for him as a last effort to keep LeBron. It hurts if LeBron leaves anyway but a team has to try whatever it can to keep the best player in the game. It doesn't hurt as much though if the deal ends up being something like Shumpert + matching salary and Nets pick for Cousins, it gives Cavs option to basically start over letting Cousins/IT/LeBron walk and getting under the tax for a couple years to stop paying repeater penalties.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#20 » by Stillwater » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:59 pm

BdeRegt wrote:
Stillwater wrote:

I think New Orleans will struggle this year and Boogie will become available. I think Cavs end up trading the pick (possibly with some protection on it) for him as a last effort to keep LeBron. It hurts if LeBron leaves anyway but a team has to try whatever it can to keep the best player in the game. It doesn't hurt as much though if the deal ends up being something like Shumpert + matching salary and Nets pick for Cousins, it gives Cavs option to basically start over letting Cousins/IT/LeBron walk and getting under the tax for a couple years to stop paying repeater penalties.

They might with protection like top 10 protection but only if Kevin Love were moved in another deal for a all star caliber pg, which also would mean IT4 is not showing signs of returning,rose is not producing, and Love is not more efficient and get more touches without Irving , which by all accounts he will. Otherwise I think the interest in Cousins is minimal given his contract.
I think Shumpert will be moved before the season starts if he is moved at all.

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers