And1: 3,655

Re: Nets pick watch 

Post#161 » by Stillwater » Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:35 pm

Prokorov wrote:
Stillwater wrote:
Prokorov wrote:
Nets 11th win last year came at: 11 Wins - 52 losses

Nets 11th win this year came at 11 Wins - 15 Losses

im sure you're right... just a few "hot games" by nets scrubs and teams "taking the nets lightly"

Nothing to do with the continued development and emergency of RHJ /Levert/Dinwiddie (who helped the nets go on a run of near .500 play to end last season) or the addition of a defensive big like allen, or the addition of more shooters (crabbe/Carrolle) in an offense predicated on range shooting.

the best thing the cava having going with the pick is that the nets dont care about wins and are prioritizing development. but even with that there is ZERO chance the nets are worse this year then last. we would need to go 8-68 the rest of the way to be worse then last year

I agree you are better than the last 2 seasons so far, who wouldn't.
But even if you win 25-30 games instead of 20 you can easily be in the bottom 5. If you win 35 you will then be in the 5-10 range.
I can't see you winning 40 which would take you to the 10-12 range.
you just traded for Okafor who can't stretch the floor and has neverbeen a good interior defender. your front court is loaded with similar non floor stretching bigs who play better defense. Playing Mozgov ,Zeller,the Rook or Okafor with your starting pf RHJ who also doesn't stretch the floor will mean you live and die by Crabbe,Dinwiddie and Lavert making a high % of 3's to stay in games all season. Maybe you can, but you have won enough now where teams will have to respect that and start defending you better which for the most part they have not.

okafor is irrelevant. he is no worse then mozgov or zeller. and you dont need stretch bigs... maybe you need them to be elite, you certainly dont need them to be mediocure. especially with all the shooting we have 1-3 for starters and reserves.

then why trade for him? You should then now trade for a stretch big and I might give you a chance to win 40.
SUNDOWN BRINGS A WELCOME CHANGE TO EVERYTHING THAT'S HIDING
Baller1234a
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,714

Post#162 » by Baller1234a » Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:47 pm

Stillwater wrote:
Prokorov wrote:
Stillwater wrote:I agree you are better than the last 2 seasons so far, who wouldn't.
But even if you win 25-30 games instead of 20 you can easily be in the bottom 5. If you win 35 you will then be in the 5-10 range.
you just traded for Okafor who can't stretch the floor and has neverbeen a good interior defender. your front court is loaded with similar non floor stretching bigs who play better defense. Playing Mozgov ,Zeller,the Rook or Okafor with your starting pf RHJ who also doesn't stretch the floor will mean you live and die by Crabbe,Dinwiddie and Lavert making a high % of 3's to stay in games all season. Maybe you can, but you have won enough now where teams will have to respect that and start defending you better which for the most part they have not.

okafor is irrelevant. he is no worse then mozgov or zeller. and you dont need stretch bigs... maybe you need them to be elite, you certainly dont need them to be mediocure. especially with all the shooting we have 1-3 for starters and reserves.

then why trade for him? You should then now trade for a stretch big and I might give you a chance to win 40.

Cause they got Anderson and a second to take him on?
Bet with Stillwater Celtics will finish 6th or higher in ECF Standings Regular Season(17-18). [WON]
chris4celts
Junior
And1: 313

Post#163 » by chris4celts » Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:50 pm

Stillwater wrote:
chris4celts wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:
Did you watch those games or are you just pulling a reason out of thin air as to why those teams, including yours, got beaten by the Nets?

We are on pace to win 30 games barring catastrophic injuries. But let's see if you end up with a top 5 pick *shrugs*

Is Ainge good or just lucky?

So you think Ainge knew the Nets would be slightly better than last 2 seasons and CLE didn't? and therefor Boston moved the pick thinking it wasn't worth what CLE hoped it would be and somehow that makes him good or lucky?
If the Nets pick is in the top 10 it's still more valuable in Ainge's pocket than traded away. He overvalued Irving, and no Boston fan wants to accept that, but it is pretty obvious Kyrie is already reverting to his lack luster defense despite continuing to be a dynamo offensively.
The initial deception was Ainge's plausible deniability of his knowledge of IT's real timeline and Ainge's motivation to move him was assumed to only be the brinks truck b.s. as would anyone believe until the CLE doctors changed the timeline. Cav's held up the deal and got another 2nd rounder added, but the murmurs are AInge was standing Pat in negotiations on protection in the 1-3 range for the Nets pick as would be expected given his hard stance regarding picks and agreed to remove it only after the CLE doctors report was different from the shady findings in Boston so long as that info was never released. With any protections in place Cav's would have taken likely the Bucks offer instead. So, unless you don't believe that, your theory about him being lucky is the only possibility that could play out if the Nets go berserker and win 50 games.
Nets are still a bad team and could easily end up in the bottom 5 even though they are not right now.
If Isaiah doesn't play well a pon his return then Ainge won the deal, if he does he overpaid for Irving barring a Nets unlikely 500 or better season.

You think DA overpaid for Irving? I have a hard time taking you seriously if you believe that.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#164 » by Stillwater » Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:29 am

chris4celts wrote:
Stillwater wrote:
chris4celts wrote:
Is Ainge good or just lucky?

So you think Ainge knew the Nets would be slightly better than last 2 seasons and CLE didn't? and therefor Boston moved the pick thinking it wasn't worth what CLE hoped it would be and somehow that makes him good or lucky?
If the Nets pick is in the top 10 it's still more valuable in Ainge's pocket than traded away. He overvalued Irving, and no Boston fan wants to accept that, but it is pretty obvious Kyrie is already reverting to his lack luster defense despite continuing to be a dynamo offensively.
The initial deception was Ainge's plausible deniability of his knowledge of IT's real timeline and Ainge's motivation to move him was assumed to only be the brinks truck b.s. as would anyone believe until the CLE doctors changed the timeline. Cav's held up the deal and got another 2nd rounder added, but the murmurs are AInge was standing Pat in negotiations on protection in the 1-3 range for the Nets pick as would be expected given his hard stance regarding picks and agreed to remove it only after the CLE doctors report was different from the shady findings in Boston so long as that info was never released. With any protections in place Cav's would have taken likely the Bucks offer instead. So, unless you don't believe that, your theory about him being lucky is the only possibility that could play out if the Nets go berserker and win 50 games.
Nets are still a bad team and could easily end up in the bottom 5 even though they are not right now.
If Isaiah doesn't play well a pon his return then Ainge won the deal, if he does he overpaid for Irving barring a Nets unlikely 500 or better season.

You think DA overpaid for Irving? I have a hard time taking you seriously if you believe that.

I already don't take you seriously if you think Irving is greater than a healthy IT a starter 3&d player a solid rookie big a first round pick anywhere in the lottery and a future 2nd.
So if IT doesn't play well or can't stay on tthe floor than yes it's a win for Ainge. anything closer to IT's production from last season and the Cavs got the better deal,anything higher than the 5th pick and the Cavs absolutely win the trade.
Baller1234a
Lead Assistant

Post#165 » by Baller1234a » Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:44 am

Stillwater wrote:
chris4celts wrote:
Stillwater wrote:So you think Ainge knew the Nets would be slightly better than last 2 seasons and CLE didn't? and therefor Boston moved the pick thinking it wasn't worth what CLE hoped it would be and somehow that makes him good or lucky?

I already don't take you seriously if you think Irving is greater than a healthy IT a starter 3&d player a solid rookie big a first round pick anywhere in the lottery and a future 2nd.
So if IT doesn't play well or can't stay on tthe floor than yes it's a win for Ainge. anything closer to IT's production from last season and the Cavs got the better deal,anything higher than the 5th pick and the Cavs absolutely win the trade.

How do we know IT will be the same player?
A top 10 pick an injured All star on an expiring contract a role player and a late lottery pick.
Quality > Quantity
Ainge won that trade BIG TIME.
Bet with Stillwater Celtics will finish 6th or higher in ECF Standings Regular Season(17-18). [WON]
Prokorov
RealGM
And1: 14,676

Post#166 » by Prokorov » Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:27 am

Stillwater wrote:
Prokorov wrote:
Stillwater wrote:I agree you are better than the last 2 seasons so far, who wouldn't.

We dont need a stretch big... we need bigs who defend and finsih and set screens (like jarrett allen). we space the floor 1 through 3.

okafor trade was a no risk dice roll. its irrelevant
Prokorov
RealGM
And1: 14,676

Post#167 » by Prokorov » Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:29 am

Stillwater wrote:
chris4celts wrote:
Stillwater wrote:So you think Ainge knew the Nets would be slightly better than last 2 seasons and CLE didn't? and therefor Boston moved the pick thinking it wasn't worth what CLE hoped it would be and somehow that makes him good or lucky?

This all kind of ignores that Thomas is a 29 year old pending free agent coming off surgery. he is either a rental or someone you need to pay big moeny and bet on his health. I think the value was fair. i dont think it was an overpay
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#168 » by Stillwater » Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:13 am

Baller1234a wrote:
Stillwater wrote:
chris4celts wrote:

A top 10 pick an injured All star on an expiring contract a role player and a late lottery pick.
Quality > Quantity

we don't, hence what I said .If he is the same player the deal was fair,but if the nets pick is also a top 5 pick Altman won the trade by a small margin. Neither won the trade "big time" your homerism is laughable. Crowder (a starter here) and probably the long term value of Zizic are not at all consolations either.
you can troll me all you want with that bet that Boston would be the 7 or 8 seed at best (with Hayward) on your sig. Doesn't change the fact that we are breathing down your neck without IT playing and will crush you when he comes back.
Baller1234a
Lead Assistant

Post#169 » by Baller1234a » Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:22 am

Stillwater wrote:
Baller1234a wrote:
Stillwater wrote:I already don't take you seriously if you think Irving is greater than a healthy IT a starter 3&d player a solid rookie big a first round pick anywhere in the lottery and a future 2nd.

Quality > Quantity

we don't, hence what I said .If he is the same player the deal was fair,but if the nets pick is also a top 5 pick Altman won the trade by a small margin. Neither won the trade "big time" your homerism is laughable. Crowder (a starter here) and probably the long term value of Zizic are not at all consolations either.
you can troll me all you want with that bet that Boston would be the 7 or 8 seed at best (with Hayward) on your sig. Doesn't change the fact that we are breathing down your neck without IT playing and will crush you when he comes back.

Zizic doesn’t get playing time and he is a slow center without range
Crowded has been dreadful this year

Nets pick looks like the 10th pick and if so loses most of its value.
IT is an expiring best case he comes back healthy and is the same player than you guys have to max him out for 30 mill. You want to give IT that contract?

So not having to pay IT a late lottery pick a below avg started (this year) and a prospect that doesn’t even get playing time for a top 10 player in the league who is the best player on the best team in the east(standing wise for now).

Do you even think you could get Boogie with that package?
Aussienet3
Junior
And1: 90

Post#170 » by Aussienet3 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:19 am

I wonder what excuse people on here will use when they are proven wrong.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#171 » by Stillwater » Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:50 am

Baller1234a wrote:
Stillwater wrote:
Baller1234a wrote:How do we know IT will be the same player?
Quality > Quantity

IT is an expiring best case he comes back healthy and is the same player than you guys have to max him out for 30 mill. You want to give IT that contract?

So not having to pay IT a late lottery pick a below avg started (this year) and a prospect that doesn’t even get playing time for a top 10 player in the league who is the best player on the best team in the east(standing wise for now).

Smear it with worst case scenario all you like.
I expect to enjoy watching Irving come up short against LeBron this year ,I also will be crossing my fingers Gilbert's son gets us the #1 pick again from 15% odds or settle for 4th and I will be rolling over laughing if Hayward returns before the playoffs and Boston takes a nose dive just to see you sweat.
No but really I just hope IT4 is healthy enough to be Boston IT otherwise we lost this deal in the short term even with a top 5 pick.
As far as giving him the max I doubt we wouldn't if he is back to form ,if not than there's the reason we would have gotten less than we could for a top 25 offensive player.
OsuCavsfan103
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,047

Post#172 » by OsuCavsfan103 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:59 pm

Honestly we need to keep calling around the league, if a reasonable deal happens for PG of Cousins, we need to take it. This Nets pick is not looking like a lock for a top 5. If we have a chance to get a real impactful player and pass on it only to get a pick at 12th overall or something, it will sting for sure.

Yes, if BKN looked poised to be like last year then keeping it makes sense with some of the guys there. However, Bkn is not going to be that bad. I would rather take a chance on a expiring like PG or Cousins than risk holding onto it.

The way I look at it, is if LeBron leaves, we are a lottery team with our own pick the very next year. One year delay of rebuilding is worth the shot for me to take a expiring like Cousins or PG, and maybe even trade for Gasol.

This could be our last chance to win a title with LeBron, if we decide to rebuild before he is even gone, it might help make his decision easier.

If we can get a real meaningful player for that Bkn pick and TT or Shump or something, take it w/o question.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#173 » by Stillwater » Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:44 pm

OsuCavsfan103 wrote:Honestly we need to keep calling around the league, if a reasonable deal happens for PG of Cousins, we need to take it. This Nets pick is not looking like a lock for a top 5. If we have a chance to get a real impactful player and pass on it only to get a pick at 12th overall or something, it will sting for sure.

Yes, if BKN looked poised to be like last year then keeping it makes sense with some of the guys there. However, Bkn is not going to be that bad. I would rather take a chance on a expiring like PG or Cousins than risk holding onto it.

The way I look at it, is if LeBron leaves, we are a lottery team with our own pick the very next year. One year delay of rebuilding is worth the shot for me to take a expiring like Cousins or PG, and maybe even trade for Gasol.

This could be our last chance to win a title with LeBron, if we decide to rebuild before he is even gone, it might help make his decision easier.

If we can get a real meaningful player for that Bkn pick and TT or Shump or something, take it w/o question.

we traded the 2019 1st already to ATL.
This may be what the org decides to do if in fact the Nets are still winning at the break,as the pick itself will be worth little and also worth moving even for a rental of either of those 2 if in fact they were to become available. PG probably, Boogie not so much.
I do not believe the Nets are as good as their record and have not been taken seriously by several of the teams they beat so far. That won't happen on most nights going forward. I expect them to win a few games they are not expected to win against teams on a back to back resting starters etc. but overall still think they end up in the bottom 5. the next 2 months are crucial to the value at the deadline, but I would not give it up for any expiring when those players won't be made available unless those teams are in serious trouble with little chance of resigning them lowering the value of those players in any deal where we could theoretically trade players and our own pick and still get an impact player without any sacrifices.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#174 » by Stillwater » Fri Dec 15, 2017 5:54 pm

chalk up another win for us and loss for the nets who are only 5 wins ahead of the worst record 3 wins ahead of the 3rd worst etc.
The Nets are going to choke hard as the teams they play start taking their outside shooting seriously which is the only thing that has given them any success.
CaptainCanada
Junior
And1: 259

Post#175 » by CaptainCanada » Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:03 am

Stillwater wrote:chalk up another win for us and loss for the nets who are only 5 wins ahead of the worst record 3 wins ahead of the 3rd worst etc.
The Nets are going to choke hard as the teams they play start taking their outside shooting seriously which is the only thing that has given them any success.

Brooklyn also only 5 wins away from being a playoff team.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#176 » by Stillwater » Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:57 pm

CaptainCanada wrote:
Stillwater wrote:chalk up another win for us and loss for the nets who are only 5 wins ahead of the worst record 3 wins ahead of the 3rd worst etc.

I know you have had to suffer through the pain of 2 terrible seasons so any improvement is an upgrade, but actually believing that roster has the tools to win enough games to make the playoffs let alone be better than a bottom 5 team is a pipe dream.
It's still early in the season so I guess you could make some trades and reach mediocrity instead of continuing the slow agonizing reality of a major rebuild, but that seems highly unlikely when your org has pinned their hopes on an injured pg and is starting a couple of overpaid border line rotation players on a good team
CaptainCanada
Junior
And1: 259

Post#177 » by CaptainCanada » Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:04 pm

Stillwater wrote:
CaptainCanada wrote:

I know you have had to suffer through the pain of 2 terrible seasons so any improvement is an upgrade, but actually believing that roster has the tools to win enough games to make the playoffs let alone be better than a bottom 5 team is a pipe dream.
It's still early in the season so I guess you could make some trades and reach mediocrity instead of continuing the slow agonizing reality of a major rebuild, but that seems highly unlikely when your org has pinned their hopes on an injured pg and is starting a couple of overpaid border line rotation players on a good team

If season ended today, Cav's would have 11th pick.....not anywhere near top 5.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#178 » by Stillwater » Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:16 pm

CaptainCanada wrote:
Stillwater wrote:
CaptainCanada wrote:

If season ended today, Cav's would have 11th pick.....not anywhere near top 5.

no it would be the 10th, and the season is far from over.
you will be 1-4 over the course of the next 5 games if teams take you seriously and defend the perimeter.
You don't have the tools to beat very many teams that bring their A game. I would never bet against teams bringing half ass efforts and you getting some wins esp teams capable of easily beating you taking plays off defensively on the second half of back to backs and when teams rest starters because very few of your games are nationally televised ones.
Your prediction for them making the playoffs is based on what exactly? RHJ developing an outside shot in January? Okafor defending the rim and shooting more than 5 3's in a season? how about Crabbe attacking the rim other than in transition because your bigs are capable of clearing out the paint with their new found perimeter shooting efficiency?
You have no shot at making the playoffs and the odds you are picking later than 5th are so slim the only chance of it is late season tankers pushing the pick to the 7-8 range.
CelticsWin5
Senior
And1: 377

Post#179 » by CelticsWin5 » Sun Dec 17, 2017 6:11 am

Stillwater wrote:
Baller1234a wrote:
Stillwater wrote:we don't, hence what I said .If he is the same player the deal was fair,but if the nets pick is also a top 5 pick Altman won the trade by a small margin. Neither won the trade "big time" your homerism is laughable. Crowder (a starter here) and probably the long term value of Zizic are not at all consolations either.

I expect to enjoy watching Irving come up short against LeBron this year ,I also will be crossing my fingers Gilbert's son gets us the #1 pick again from 15% odds or settle for 4th and I will be rolling over laughing if Hayward returns before the playoffs and Boston takes a nose dive just to see you sweat.
No but really I just hope IT4 is healthy enough to be Boston IT otherwise we lost this deal in the short term even with a top 5 pick.
As far as giving him the max I doubt we wouldn't if he is back to form ,if not than there's the reason we would have gotten less than we could for a top 25 offensive player.

How is that the worst case? you are so deluded that you don't realize that isn't the worst case. There is a legitimate chance the nets make the playoffs, meaning the pick can be somewhere in the mid teens. There's a chance IT has setbacks when he comes back. There's a chance zizic never sees the floor. That's a much worse case than what you replied to, and they're all very possible scenarios
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#180 » by Stillwater » Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:51 pm

CelticsWin5 wrote:
Stillwater wrote:
Baller1234a wrote:Zizic doesn’t get playing time and he is a slow center without range

How is that the worst case? you are so deluded that you don't realize that isn't the worst case. There is a legitimate chance the nets make the playoffs, meaning the pick can be somewhere in the mid teens. There's a chance IT has setbacks when he comes back. There's a chance zizic never sees the floor. That's a much worse case than what you replied to, and they're all very possible scenarios

Not in the real world, maybe in Brooklyn's dreams

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers