Nets pick watch

Moderator: ijspeelman

KingRuss
Ballboy
And1: 9

Re: Nets pick watch 

Post#81 » by KingRuss » Thu Oct 26, 2017 5:20 pm

Curns13 wrote:
KingRuss wrote:OH the Nets are going to be really bad.

a front court of Mozgov, RHJ and DeMarre Carrol is simply atrocious. I mean- its hard to remember a front court in the NBA that is so freaking bad.

Russell and Crabbe can score but neither play any defense.

The Nets might be able to eek out a few extra wins if they play hard and they get good coaching. I mean- the Bulls are AWFUL....Atlanta has a worse roster than the Nets- but Atlanta has Schroeder- who is better than anyone on the Nets- and the Hawks are well coached.

the only thing with Atlanta, and Chicago is that they have no incentive to win anything. Its why I think the Nets will definitely finish better than Chicago and have a chance to finish better than Atlanta

the West scares me too- the Suns are really bad. the Lakers are really bad. The Kings are pretty bad.

I dont think there is much of a chance at all that Orlando and Indiana finish worse than the Nets. Both teams are a lot more talented than the Nets- ESPECIALLY after the Linn injury. They arent trying to tank in Orlando either. They need to win some games down there after some frightful years.

Dallas might be a sleeper really crappy team too if they dont get things figured out in the very difficult West.

Its ridiculously early, but you might wanna revisit that RHJ and DMC being 'simply atrocious' comment.

RHJ: 15 and 5 with a block and a steal on 50% shooting and 90% at the line (6 attempts per game) with 22.4 PER and .656 TS%.

DMC: 16 and 7 with 2 assists and 2 steals, shooting 40% from 3 with 21.3 PER and .615 TS%.

If it was the DMC and RHJ from half way through last season, you'd be right. But this is Atlanta DMC playing in the system that got him paid. And this is the new RHJ who we started to see after the All-Star break last year. Look at his stats after AS last season, he was always gonna be good, but this is a very pleasant surprise.

DEFINITELY dont want to revisit it yet

That is an awful front court.

The Cavs are playing awful ball and were missing Thomas, Rose and Wade. Still- no excuse to lose to the Nets though. They looked lazy on D and tried to put it on at the end- and sometimes that works like against the Bulls- and sometimes it doesnt

after nice wins against the Celtics and Bucks- 2 very good teams- the Cavs have looked awful against awful teams like Chicago, Orlando and the Nets. They havent looked awful against the Nets, Magic and Bulls because they have a bad team- they have looked awful because they have no lineup contiunity, no one knows what the other guysa re doing- LeBron basically missed the entire preaeason and they play down to their competition.

If the opposing team plays hard they will have a chance when an injured, discombobulated, lazy Cavs team shows up.
Mulhollanddrive
RealGM
And1: 7,915

Post#82 » by Mulhollanddrive » Thu Oct 26, 2017 5:39 pm

If the Nets have a good couple of weeks and Cleveland don't, would you consider splitting that pick into Miami 1st, Miami 1st, Phoenix 2nd, Memphis 2nd and Bledsoe.
Stillwater
RealGM
And1: 3,655

Post#83 » by Stillwater » Thu Oct 26, 2017 5:49 pm

Mulhollanddrive wrote:If the Nets have a good couple of weeks and Cleveland don't, would you consider splitting that pick into Miami 1st, Miami 1st, Phoenix 2nd, Memphis 2nd and Bledsoe.

Easy no. The Cav's struggles have been their problem not the indication of oppositions strengths in any way.esp Brooklyn's.
I would not consider the Nets to be on track to win more than 30 games max regardless of how many times they out score teams from deep over the course of the first month of the season ,They might win a couple more than expected in April when teams are resting players but overall will still be in the early lottery whether they win enough to be in the 6-10 range is predicated on how badly other teams defend them on the perimeter and one could only expect that since that is all the Nets have,teams will adjust to it now that they know what to expect.
SUNDOWN BRINGS A WELCOME CHANGE TO EVERYTHING THAT'S HIDING
Prokorov
RealGM
And1: 14,676

Post#84 » by Prokorov » Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:02 pm

Stillwater wrote:
CaptainCanada wrote:If D'Angelo Russell plays better than expected, I still think they have an outside shot at playoffs (The East is so weak). It all hinges on D'ANgelo though (and he might sit out next game with knee soreness).

If every team in the league plays as bad as the Cavs did tonight, you might be a late lottery team instead of top 5 but To me it really says nothing about how good or bad the Nets are and more about how badly the Cavs are playing right now

Nets play everyone hard for 48 mintues and they play a style were have to gaurd 3-5 players at the three point line at all times. no one is great, probably 0 all-stars this year. but 1 through 11 you have quality NBA players and shooters. that and taking a ton of threes will keep the nets in games. how many will they win? yet to be seen. 28-30 seems like a safe bet. could it be more? who knows

But the nets are kind of building on the celtics model. young coach, unselfish modern team play, lots of threes, and some 2 way gritty young players.

If Russell can be something close to what IT was and Carroll can be close to what crowder was the nets can come close to emulating stevens second year

alot of ifs.
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#85 » by Prokorov » Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:04 pm

Stillwater wrote:
CaptainCanada wrote:
Stillwater wrote:If every team in the league plays as bad as the Cavs did tonight, you might be a late lottery team instead of top 5 but To me it really says nothing about how good or bad the Nets are and more about how badly the Cavs are playing right now

True, but I think the best value the Cav's got out of the trade is Jae Crowder, not the draft pick.....it has the potential to slide out of the lottery. I'm a big Crowder fan.

We gave you like 45 or 46 three-pointer attempts tonight that is terrible team defense as long as Lue continues to use Calderon and opts for over use of his vets on back-to-backs without getting playing time to Zizic or Osmond when it would be the perfect time to do so the Cavs might as well Mark every second game of a back-to-back as a loss on the schedule right now

you "gave them" to us or we have an offense and the ability to put 5 three point shooters on the floor where we can get good looks when we want?
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#86 » by Prokorov » Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:08 pm

Stillwater wrote:Whatever we played like s*** I do know the Cavs better than I know the Nets, what makes you think you're a knowledgeable fan and I'm not?
What happened here was both teams played bad
You run no offense sets whatsoever
You just push the ball and shoot it early in the shot clock I'll play around the world with your passes because you're cutters suck , what I saw from the Nets was so far from what I would consider good basketball, that I would not be surprised if that's why they won as the Cavs had no idea what the hell the Nets were doing.
In all seriousness though they do look motivated & better than I thought they would, so that pick is probably the 2-4 range instead of the guanteed worst by April. Good luck with no pick ****

We run several variations of the motion offense. 75% of our possesions. when the first 2 initial looks dont get a shot, its horns or a resceen at the point for a pick and roll/pop.

you guys had alot of turnovers and didnt get back on misses, so year when we have chances we will try and get easy buckets that way too

igorbianch
Analyst
And1: 4,321

Post#87 » by igorbianch » Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:30 pm

I would trade JR/TT/BKN for Beverley/DAJ.
:lol:
Aussienet3
Junior
And1: 90

Post#88 » by Aussienet3 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:29 pm

Stillwater wrote:
Aussienet3 wrote:My My this has been fun to read from start to finish! People on here claiming to be knowledgable fans. The worst back court in your life. But TJ mc Connel and Covington for philly the last 2 years is not bad. You guy's need to stop being just Cavs fans and be nba fans if your going to give opinions about the rest of the league. You make yourselves look foolish with your baseless comments. Good Luck with the pick. It wont be the pot of gold you guy's believe it is. Yes the Cavs played bad tonight. But if you sleep on the Nets (and most teams will) well then this is what you get. The Cavs will make the ECF I have no doubt. But why be so arrogant about a young team who have bought into a culture change and are working their backsides off for their coach. I like the friendly banter. This should be a fun thread to follow.

Whatever we played like s*** I do know the Cavs better than I know the Nets, what makes you think you're a knowledgeable fan and I'm not?
You just push the ball and shoot it early in the shot clock I'll play around the world with your passes because you're cutters suck , what I saw from the Nets was so far from what I would consider good basketball, that I would not be surprised if that's why they won as the Cavs had no idea what the hell the Nets were doing.
In all seriousness though they do look motivated & better than I thought they would, so that pick is probably the 2-4 range instead of the guanteed worst by April. Good luck with no pick ****

See. This is why your not a knowledgeable NBA fan. Nets have a first round pick. Sure you can be knowledgeable Cavs fan. But No Offence what so ever? Come on now... Its called a motion offence! The fact that the cavs had no idea how to defend it says more about your coaching staff than your players. Oh and by the way isn't it the very idea to run and an offence that is hard to defend? Can you imagine Wilt's coach running a shooting offence because dumping the ball into a 7ft beast was too hard for the opposition to work out how to stop it? Nets have next to zero rim protectors or offencely gifted bigs. So running a motion offence with a back court stacked with 3 point shooters is the logical way to go.
Just admit your salty AF that you and your boys chalked up an easy win in your minds before the game. :D
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#89 » by Stillwater » Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:47 pm

Aussienet3 wrote:
Stillwater wrote:
Aussienet3 wrote:My My this has been fun to read from start to finish! People on here claiming to be knowledgable fans. The worst back court in your life. But TJ mc Connel and Covington for philly the last 2 years is not bad. You guy's need to stop being just Cavs fans and be nba fans if your going to give opinions about the rest of the league. You make yourselves look foolish with your baseless comments. Good Luck with the pick. It wont be the pot of gold you guy's believe it is. Yes the Cavs played bad tonight. But if you sleep on the Nets (and most teams will) well then this is what you get. The Cavs will make the ECF I have no doubt. But why be so arrogant about a young team who have bought into a culture change and are working their backsides off for their coach. I like the friendly banter. This should be a fun thread to follow.

Whatever we played like s*** I do know the Cavs better than I know the Nets, what makes you think you're a knowledgeable fan and I'm not?

See. This is why your not a knowledgeable NBA fan. Nets have a first round pick. Sure you can be knowledgeable Cavs fan. But No Offence what so ever? Come on now... Its called a motion offence! The fact that the cavs had no idea how to defend it says more about your coaching staff than your players. Oh and by the way isn't it the very idea to run and an offence that is hard to defend? Can you imagine Wilt's coach running a shooting offence because dumping the ball into a 7ft beast was too hard for the opposition to work out how to stop it? Nets have next to zero rim protectors or offencely gifted bigs. So running a motion offence with a back court stacked with 3 point shooters is the logical way to go.
Just admit your salty AF that you and your boys chalked up an easy win in your minds before the game. :D

your'e right I stand corrected you have a lottery protected pick from the Raptors that should be good for the next bum you need to complete your dynasty.
that is not an efficient motion offense when you shoot the ball so early in the shot clock ;Motion offense is best when several passes can be made in succession which gives the defense more opportunities to break down. NBA teams don't have that luxury of making pass after pass after pass and need to get the ball in the hands of their best scorers right away because of the ltd. shot clock. You can expand on what you are trying to do but true motion requires that each offensive player be able to effectively read the defense, and not only his defender but his teammates' defenders as well and you are not seeing that yet in Brooklyn.
You got lucky with the early looks you took and made otherwise even as **** as we played as a team defensively (because we are old tired and didn't respect you)we would have beat you easily had we played with more energy.
see I do know what I am talking about,you just want me not to know. and you do not run any sets you just run a wide open motion based offense that sucks if you actually try to make passes instead of shooting the ball after 1 pass or no pass.
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#90 » by Prokorov » Fri Oct 27, 2017 5:45 am

Stillwater wrote:your'e right I stand corrected you have a lottery protected pick from the Raptors that should be good for the next bum you need to complete your dynasty.

Well, RHJ, Levert, and allen worked out well late in the draft. so ill take my chances

that is not an efficient motion offense when you shoot the ball so early in the shot clock ;Motion offense is best when several passes can be made in succession which gives the defense more opportunities to break down. NBA teams don't have that luxury of making pass after pass after pass and need to get the ball in the hands of their best scorers right away because of the ltd. shot clock. You can expand on what you are trying to do but true motion requires that each offensive player be able to effectively read the defense, and not only his defender but his teammates' defenders as well and you are not seeing that yet in Brooklyn.
You got lucky with the early looks you took and made otherwise even as **** as we played as a team defensively (because we are old tired and didn't respect you)we would have beat you easily had we played with more energy.
see I do know what I am talking about,you just want me not to know. and you do not run any sets you just run a wide open motion based offense that sucks if you actually try to make passes instead of shooting the ball after 1 pass or no pass.

are you really sticking to these weak argument that we just come down and chuck up shots? We move the ball a ton. its our identity. we pass more then most teams. several times we went around the horn with all 5 guys touching the ball. alot going on in the offense. you are just salty because the needs made you eat crap and you refuse to admit to yourself that we arent some trash team

Aussienet3
Junior
And1: 90

Post#91 » by Aussienet3 » Fri Oct 27, 2017 5:48 am

Stillwater wrote:
Aussienet3 wrote:
Stillwater wrote:Whatever we played like s*** I do know the Cavs better than I know the Nets, what makes you think you're a knowledgeable fan and I'm not?

your'e right I stand corrected you have a lottery protected pick from the Raptors that should be good for the next bum you need to complete your dynasty.

So you missed that play when we made like three extra passes to a wide open RHJ for the three? You missed our players driving and dishing when you guys over commit to defend the three ball? That's what the motion offence doe's. Another 20+ draft pick that's fine our recruiters have found LeVert and Allen with 20+ picks. Good luck finding your future star player with pick 12! :lol: :wink: :D
Dupp
RealGM
And1: 66,679

Post#92 » by Dupp » Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:14 am

We will get first pick, always do.
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 36,842

Post#93 » by MrDollarBills » Fri Oct 27, 2017 3:44 pm

Stillwater wrote:
Aussienet3 wrote:

You literally have no idea as to what you're talking about.
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#94 » by Stillwater » Fri Oct 27, 2017 4:19 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:
Stillwater wrote:
Aussienet3 wrote:

You literally have no idea as to what you're talking about.

I can understand how you might think that by my negative comments, but I cannot call it an efficient motion offense or any kind of efficient offense when you're jacking up shots at the beginning of the shot clock before you can even go into any sets if you have some the run. It does appear as if that is what you're game plan is in retrospect going in by the video clips I watched besides the Cavs game without Linn or Russell
Playing. I for 1 hope you fail miserably so we get a good draft pick and I don't think if you keep playing like you are right now it is sustainable, that's not to say you don't have more in you, I mean if we're giving you open looks at the beginning of the shot clock and you're knocking them down I guess I can't blame you from diverting from running any sets.
Hopefully we trade the pick and then I can root for you to have some success there's nothing more entertaining than seeing the underdog be successful unless it's mainly due to the inefficiency other team that's favored but gives it away.
Vae Victus
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,838

Post#95 » by Vae Victus » Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:13 pm

What should be worrying you is that without their 2 best players in DLo and Lin, the Nets were still able to win by running their offensive system and playing ultra hard instead of laying down like dogs to a contender in an "obvious loss" game.

Losing Lin definitely hurts, but as it was shown, despite his loss the Nets will still chug along and keep running and gunning since they have a rising star combo guard in DLo to replace him. All early indicators show It's pretty much a lock now that the Nets wont be a bottom 5 team record wise, short of also losing DLo to season ending injury as well. The team will keep trying to outgun folks and get lucky a decent number of times. As the season goes on, as the Tankathon goes into full swing the Nets will pick up plenty of cheap wins off of teams jockeying for ping pong position, while at the same time increasing their own intensity and play as their chemistry and famliarity with the system builds (exactly like last season how they went 11-13, lots of cheap wins, everyone playing balls out for the NBA careers). Will it lead to playoffs? Nah, but it sure as hell will lead to a #7-10 worse finish.

But hey, just keep trotting out Gilbert's kid, i'm sure the NBA would love to gift you guys another #1 pick. Makes for exciting narrative fodder, "WATS LEBRUN GONNA DO!" to be screamed 24/7 by ESPN.
CaptainCanada
Junior
And1: 259

Post#96 » by CaptainCanada » Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:50 pm

Will the Nets go up to 4W-2L tonight? It will be an interesting game to see who can guard Porzingis.

Jarett Jack is starting and will want revenge against Brooklyn.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#97 » by Stillwater » Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:34 pm

Vae Victus wrote:What should be worrying you is that without their 2 best players in DLo and Lin, the Nets were still able to win by running their offensive system and playing ultra hard instead of laying down like dogs to a contender in an "obvious loss" game.

Losing Lin definitely hurts, but as it was shown, despite his loss the Nets will still chug along and keep running and gunning since they have a rising star combo guard in DLo to replace him. All early indicators show It's pretty much a lock now that the Nets wont be a bottom 5 team record wise, short of also losing DLo to season ending injury as well. The team will keep trying to outgun folks and get lucky a decent number of times. As the season goes on, as the Tankathon goes into full swing the Nets will pick up plenty of cheap wins off of teams jockeying for ping pong position, while at the same time increasing their own intensity and play as their chemistry and famliarity with the system builds (exactly like last season how they went 11-13, lots of cheap wins, everyone playing balls out for the NBA careers). Will it lead to playoffs? Nah, but it sure as hell will lead to a #7-10 worse finish.

But hey, just keep trotting out Gilbert's kid, i'm sure the NBA would love to gift you guys another #1 pick. Makes for exciting narrative fodder, "WATS LEBRUN GONNA DO!" to be screamed 24/7 by ESPN.

I wouldn't bet on it no matter how bad your opponents have played against you thus far. & as far as the Cavs are concerned they are struggling to adapt to the line up changes I think NY could have beat us the way we played you.
I tend to agree a few new teams in the East are tanking with the rule changes coming but they are basically just swapping spots from the Sixers and Magic to the Bulls and the Hawks. I don't think many teams in the West are tanking until they know they are out of it completely as tight of a race as it will be.(Maybe the Suns if they remain bad and want that #1).
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#98 » by Stillwater » Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:37 pm

CaptainCanada wrote:Will the Nets go up to 4W-2L tonight? It will be an interesting game to see who can guard Porzingis.

Jarett Jack is starting and will want revenge against Brooklyn.

You should easily beat the Knicks ,but that's what I thought about the Cavs against you.good luck
tundraknight
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,915

Post#99 » by tundraknight » Sat Oct 28, 2017 2:52 am

Knicks beat the Nets by 21 points!
tundraknight
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,915

Post#100 » by tundraknight » Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:10 pm

As long as we get a Top 5 Pick with the Nets pick I’ll be happy.

Because it’s a huge drop off in talent after that.

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers