ImageImageImage

8th pick prospects in that range

Moderator: ijspeelman

tundraknight
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,923

Re: 8th pick prospects in that range 

Post#61 » by tundraknight » Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:19 pm

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/250241/Trae-Young-Had-Secret-Workout-With-Cavaliers

Trae Young conducted a secret workout for the Cleveland Cavaliers on Saturday.

Cleveland is widely expected to select between Shai Gilgeous-Alexander and Young at No. 8 if Michael Porter Jr. is off the board.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2781920-2018-nba-draft-rumors-trae-young-had-secret-workout-with-cavaliers

So it sounds like the Cavaliers Big Board at #8 is Porter, Young, Gilgeous-Alexander in that order.
Stillwater
RealGM
And1: 3,655

Post#62 » by Stillwater » Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:31 pm

I think those reports about who the Cavs are after is probably because Young and SGA are who Charlotte is targeting along with Sexton but whom is expected to go higher than most mocks suggest to ORL at 6th. [Sexton shut down his workouts after working out for ORL]. We might be targeting MPJ for this roster despite the injury concerns because of pre-collegiate rankings, but I think that also is more likely because we could potentially get more than Kemba in a trade down if MPJ is on the board carrying higher value on the upside meter.
Regarding Young I'm curious why anyone would say his workout was a secret, it's not like other teams around the league haven't also been holding private workouts for prospects that others are not invited too. I guess the exclusivity of it or media not being aware until after the fact is the secret :nonono:
SUNDOWN BRINGS A WELCOME CHANGE TO EVERYTHING THAT'S HIDING
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#63 » by Stillwater » Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:50 am

https://basketball.realgm.com/nba/draft/draft_simulator/view/507620/
This one would be a fast rebuild in 1 draft assuming Lebron leaves or is willing to play with a young roster full of shooters and defenders with a couple of vets in Kemba and Williams and to a lesser extent still having Thompson and either Hood or J.R. for 1 more run.
[ obviously our luck would have to be pretty remarkable]
Cavs trade up for the 4th using Love Korver lottery protected or if necessary top 5 protected 2021 1st, taking back Parson,Green 4th and 32. Cavs draft Trey Young at 4 and Omari Spellman at 32.
Cavs then trade the 8th Hill ,Zizic and the 2020 2nd from Miami to Charlotte for Kemba's expiring and Marvin Williams,the 11th and the 55th which was ours to begin with. Cavs draft a rim protector at 55 in Mahmoud.
Cavs then trade the 11th to ATL and remove the lottery protection on the 2019 1st for the 19,30 and 34th picks in 2018.
Cavs draft Zhaire Smith(or Khyri Thomas),Melvin Frazier and Landry Shamet.

Kemba,Young,Clarkson
(Zhaire or Khyri),Shamet, Buyout J.R. or let Hood walk.
{James} Osman,Frazier,Parsons
Williams, JaMychal Green,Spellman
Nance,Thompson,[Mahmoud signed to a 2-way]
great balance of offense and defense
I know keep dreaming
Revenged25
Analyst
And1: 1,002

Post#64 » by Revenged25 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:36 pm

I think at #4 I would've taken Bamba, then the trade of #8 in a deal to get Walker would've made sense since we didn't have a PG on the roster already, though then at #8 with Sexton/Bridges on the board you would have two players that would be great options in a PG to run the offense for a SG/SF that is the prototypical 3 & D player, I probably would've gone with Sexton at that point. If Young and Sexton go in the 5-7 range, then that means MPJ is there which is also great upside or the safer Bridges. I really like the idea of having the #4 and #8 picks in this draft as regardless of JJJr or Bamba at #4, you would still be able to put another great option with him for long term in Sexton/Bridges/MPJ and would create a rebuild much faster. Especially when you consider contracts like Hill + JR will be quite valuable to teams looking to clear up cap space for the FA of 2019 or even to a team looking to get out of some good players that are overpaid and putting them in luxury hell, Washington for example once they have to start dealing with the fallout of the Wall contract.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#65 » by Stillwater » Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:54 am

This is my final mock for this draft. A lot of pick movement will certainly bust it as usual.
https://basketball.realgm.com/nba/draft/draft_simulator/view/509436/

secondary: the one here includes potential movement and shifting:
https://basketball.realgm.com/nba/draft/draft_simulator/view/510511/
Revenged25
Analyst

Post#66 » by Revenged25 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:19 pm

Stillwater wrote:This is my final mock for this draft. A lot of pick movement will certainly bust it as usual.

You know if we do draft Sexton/Young at #8, I definitely wouldn't mind moving Hill to a team for a 2-3 year contract to get a 2nd this year and a lightly protected future 1st. Maybe someone like the Knicks where you take on Noah for Hill, their 2nd this year, and 2019 1st with top 10, top 3, unprotected on it. They get to move on from Noah and give up a future 1st to have a chance at getting a max FA in 2019 FA. It might not be conveyed till 2020 after they get a FA so might be a later pick, but it gives us some future value in case they strike out or Zingas continues to be unhealthy.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#67 » by Stillwater » Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:00 pm

Revenged25 wrote:
Stillwater wrote:This is my final mock for this draft. A lot of pick movement will certainly bust it as usual.

You know if we do draft Sexton/Young at #8, I definitely wouldn't mind moving Hill to a team for a 2-3 year contract to get a 2nd this year and a lightly protected future 1st. Maybe someone like the Knicks where you take on Noah for Hill, their 2nd this year, and 2019 1st with top 10, top 3, unprotected on it. They get to move on from Noah and give up a future 1st to have a chance at getting a max FA in 2019 FA. It might not be conveyed till 2020 after they get a FA so might be a later pick, but it gives us some future value in case they strike out or Zingas continues to be unhealthy.

We should be able to get a 2nd rounder without taking on dead weight. If we are taking on a bad contract it has to be for a lottery pick or a solid player along with the dead weight with lesser players outgoing.
There is no damn reasonable solution without knowing James' plans for this org to make moves that will be good for the future without sacrificing the now. They have to trade the 8th either up or down or out to improve this roster today... and any other movement should be done at the deadline or next summer after James has stayed or left.
Revenged25
Analyst

Post#68 » by Revenged25 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:16 pm

Stillwater wrote:
Revenged25 wrote:

We should be able to get a 2nd rounder without taking on dead weight. If we are taking on a bad contract it has to be for a lottery pick or a solid player along with the dead weight with lesser players outgoing.
There is no damn reasonable solution without knowing James' plans for this org to make moves that will be good for the future without sacrificing the now. They have to trade the 8th either up or down or out to improve this roster today... and any other movement should be done at the deadline or next summer after James has stayed or left.

I know i'll probably be in the minority, but I would personally prefer to make the moves to rebuild and let James decide if he wants to be on a rebuilding squad or leave. This Cavs roster can't be changed enough to win a title, even in the most extreme situation of getting Kemba, Batum, PG, with LeBron, and TT filling out the roster probably isn't enough to beat the Warriors and might still struggle against a healthy Boston or Philly. Their window ran out when Irving forced the trade out. The Cavs might've still been able to add Nance/Hood this offseason to provide more depth which I think Irving/JR/LeBron/Nance/Love with Hood/Osman/TT off the bench might've been able to challenge the Warriors a little at least, arguably better than a Kemba/Batum/PG/LeBron/TT roster would.

Just part ways mutually, let it be known publicly that both sides have agreed that it would be in theri best interests for what they want to achieve to go their seperate ways and that the Cavs org is willing to help LeBron reach his desired location if they can without sacrificing their plans as well.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#69 » by Stillwater » Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:27 pm

Revenged25 wrote:
Stillwater wrote:
Revenged25 wrote:

I know i'll probably be in the minority, but I would personally prefer to make the moves to rebuild and let James decide if he wants to be on a rebuilding squad or leave. This Cavs roster can't be changed enough to win a title, even in the most extreme situation of getting Kemba, Batum, PG, with LeBron, and TT filling out the roster probably isn't enough to beat the Warriors and might still struggle against a healthy Boston or Philly. Their window ran out when Irving forced the trade out. The Cavs might've still been able to add Nance/Hood this offseason to provide more depth which I think Irving/JR/LeBron/Nance/Love with Hood/Osman/TT off the bench might've been able to challenge the Warriors a little at least, arguably better than a Kemba/Batum/PG/LeBron/TT roster would.

Just part ways mutually, let it be known publicly that both sides have agreed that it would be in theri best interests for what they want to achieve to go their seperate ways and that the Cavs org is willing to help LeBron reach his desired location if they can without sacrificing their plans as well.

I get your points, but there is no way in hell this org is going to make moves with the expectation Lebron is leaving when they made the finals despite not having nearly enough to get it done.
I can't just say all is lost because we got swept in the finals, this roster is far better than people want to give them credit for all being complimentary players around James, and honestly if Smith had been able to flip the switch offensively alone would have have got us a couple of wins in the finals. I think with a full off season this team can be a contender with a couple of tweaks,They need to focus on a replacement shooting guard that can create and defend really more than anything along with a more dynamic pg if they want to keep this roster in tact for another run which is why I would do something to get another first for Khyri Thomas and take the best pg on the board at 8. But that's just it, they are not trading Kevin Love right now anyway because his value is too low, so moving the 8th pick to 10th from Philly and picking up the 26th is a rock solid way to get it done. odds are strong 1 of SGA or Sexton will still be there at 10, and if not than Mikal or Walker will be there and you target Shamet,Jerome Robinson or Allen all legit scorers and all better passers and creators than their rankings would suggest.
Having done those things this is still a solid 7-8 seed without James and can look to move Love at the deadline for a high lottery pick in 2019 after his value has gone back up with padded stats and more space on the block.
Then next summer you have a plethora of value in Hill and Smith partial guarantees etc to continue the upgrades.
Revenged25
Analyst

Post#70 » by Revenged25 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:43 pm

I agree this roster is better than people give it credit for, but I actually think that although they're all complimentary pieces, LeBron makes them worse, not better. Most of the guys we brought in were having great years before joining the Cavs, all of those players came from teams with better ball movement and systems in place. Coming to play with LeBron meant going to a spot-up shooter while he controls the ball for 95% of the time. You are also in the position that if the team losses then you are going to be blamed as why whether or not you played poorly, but wins go all to LeBron and carrying a "crap team."

If you want a true complimentary team around LeBron, you would want something like Eric Bledsoe, Jimmy Butler/PG, LeBron, Tobias Harris, and TT/Noel. Bledsoe can run the offense when LeBron isn't controlling it or play off ball as well as defend and shoot the 3. Butler/PG is the little bit of star power needed with LeBron while also being able to create/defend, Tobias Harris can provide another scoring option while being an adequate defender, and Noel/TT for the starting 5. That's actually a reasonably costed team. This line-up would be able to defend and switch onto multiple positions, outside of Noel/TT they would have range out to 3 but those 2 would be able to defend/rebound/switch well enough to make up for the loss in spacing. Off the bench I would bring in guys like Delly/Osman/Nance/Hood that can defend and make shots as needed, Hood can even create.

The guys we have now need to be on a team with more ball movement/team play to be more effective, something LeBron doesn't bring.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#71 » by Stillwater » Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:54 pm

Revenged25 wrote:I agree this roster is better than people give it credit for, but I actually think that although they're all complimentary pieces, LeBron makes them worse, not better. Most of the guys we brought in were having great years before joining the Cavs, all of those players came from teams with better ball movement and systems in place. Coming to play with LeBron meant going to a spot-up shooter while he controls the ball for 95% of the time. You are also in the position that if the team losses then you are going to be blamed as why whether or not you played poorly, but wins go all to LeBron and carrying a "crap team."

If you want a true complimentary team around LeBron, you would want something like Eric Bledsoe, Jimmy Butler/PG, LeBron, Tobias Harris, and TT/Noel. Bledsoe can run the offense when LeBron isn't controlling it or play off ball as well as defend and shoot the 3. Butler/PG is the little bit of star power needed with LeBron while also being able to create/defend, Tobias Harris can provide another scoring option while being an adequate defender, and Noel/TT for the starting 5. That's actually a reasonably costed team. This line-up would be able to defend and switch onto multiple positions, outside of Noel/TT they would have range out to 3 but those 2 would be able to defend/rebound/switch well enough to make up for the loss in spacing. Off the bench I would bring in guys like Delly/Osman/Nance/Hood that can defend and make shots as needed, Hood can even create.

The guys we have now need to be on a team with more ball movement/team play to be more effective, something LeBron doesn't bring.

I don't agree he "makes them worse" I think their usage is down just like KLove had to sacrifice etc because he Lebron is the first option and they are coming from places where no all stars were in place or they were the all star or fringe all star and their usage was higher or the systems they were in gave them more usage. I get what you are saying, but they are not worse, they are just not utilized to their maximum capability, so when they are asked to do more without him, they can step up no problem. Some however like Smith have regressed in their roles and need to be upgraded.
Revenged25
Analyst

Post#72 » by Revenged25 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:06 pm

Stillwater wrote:
Revenged25 wrote:I agree this roster is better than people give it credit for, but I actually think that although they're all complimentary pieces, LeBron makes them worse, not better. Most of the guys we brought in were having great years before joining the Cavs, all of those players came from teams with better ball movement and systems in place. Coming to play with LeBron meant going to a spot-up shooter while he controls the ball for 95% of the time. You are also in the position that if the team losses then you are going to be blamed as why whether or not you played poorly, but wins go all to LeBron and carrying a "crap team."

I don't agree he "makes them worse" I think their usage is down just like KLove had to sacrifice etc because he Lebron is the first option and they are coming from places where no all stars were in place or they were the all star or fringe all star and their usage was higher or the systems they were in gave them more usage. I get what you are saying, but they are not worse, they are just not utilized to their maximum capability, so when they are asked to do more without him, they can step up no problem. Some however like Smith have regressed in their roles and need to be upgraded.

I guess it comes down to how you decide to parse make worse/not maximizing. Players get complacent playing with LeBron as they know he just does everything so when they end up getting asked to step up it seems like they aren't focused on what they still need to do as it's normally done by LeBron.

Smith definitely has regressed though, I will agree with that and a replacement is needed. But with the way the team is built, how it might possibly be built going forward, I just don't see how the Cavs compete. I mean maybe if the Cavs could swing for the fences and get Bledsoe/PG/Harris in trades using Love, Hill & JR's partial expirings, and some other assets, though it would mainly come down to PG being willing to opt in to be traded to the Cavs and the Thunder willing to take Love for him. I think the Clippers might be willing to do #8/JR for Harris + #12 as that gets them a better pick to try to trade for Leonard with a swap of contracts and at worse they get a massive upgrade in the talent they can look, and maybe Milwaukee would do Hill + Korver for Bledsoe + Delly as it would let them get a PG that probably fits them better as well as getting out from the Delly contract, who fits well with the Cavs roster we are trying to put together, while they get a good role player in Korver.

Obviously that's a lot of questions marks, especially what would Milwaukee actually want for Bledsoe as that probably isn't good enough, but there is a chance to put a better fitting team around LeBron if he was staying.
PistolPeteJR
RealGM
And1: 9,316

Post#73 » by PistolPeteJR » Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:16 pm

Revenged25 wrote:

Noah in Cleveland would be fun :lol:
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#74 » by Stillwater » Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:36 pm

Draft day is finally here.
Here is the list with some current situational ramblings from my original post at the start of the thread minus the top tier prospects that we cannot get at 8.
That is assuming also that Mikal and MPJ are gone.
-----------
These 3 are all prospects that make sense here with Lebron staying whether it means trading down and getting 2 of them
or picking 1 early, but as expected since he has made no such indication other than reports he would like to remain in Cleveland which could just be positioning for the inevitable if Altman and co. don't get a vet out of this.

Khyri Thomas The big east dpoy 6'3" w/ a 6'10"ws shoots over 50% from the floor and over 40% from deep on 5 attempts per contest.
high level of quickness laterally ,ball hawk,can score from all 3 levels.Great slasher who can muscle through and score in traffic.Length and athleticism to defend 1-3 at the next level and is nba ready.Knocks on him are Height(makes up for it with length).

Zhaire Smith 6'5" w/ 6'9"ws top 3 defender in the nation under 7', probably the best athlete in the draft if not the 2nd best.
intangibles coachability ,high motor etc. gets to his spots on defense/high bb iq. elite shot blocker for a wing.high level offensive rebounder and finisher above the rim. Knocks on him are work in progress 3 point shooting(promising improvement over the course of the season), not a great playmaker or ball handler/ not a first option.

MIles Bridges 6'7" W/ 6'8" WS elite strength and athleticism for a wing knock down mid-ranger and can attack the rim and score at a high level. Rebounds very well and is a lock down defender 1-4. Knocks on him are pedestrian length and not a primary ball handler.

Since he is non committal regardless of apparent desire to return , these are more reasonable upside picks that could also contribute in a smaller role right away if Lebron does return or could be used in a trade :

all of the above still in play but players like Sexton,Young,and Knox come into the picture as viable options.

Sexton 6'3" w/ a 6'7" ws high level floor general and extremely competitive high motor and probably the fastest player in the draft (john wall quickness). Also a ball hawk and a relentless lock down defender. rebounds very well for a pg.
Knocks on him are over-driving instead of making the right pass, and needs to get stronger.

Young 6'2" w/ 6'4" ws One of the best ball handlers and 3 point shooters in the draft plays within the offense (usually).
Excellent bb iq and knows where to be defensively. Knocks on him are that he lacks the size to defend and is in need of adding alot of strength. Low release on shot.

Knox 6'9" w/ 7'ws Quick,explosive and elite leaping ability. Can create his own shot ,has a high smooth release that is unblockable.
Can defend or at least cover 4 positions and has a high defensive upside based on length and speed.
Knocks on him are, Needs to get smarter as a player,not a great decision maker yet.

additional option based on Cavs interest:
Shai Gilgeous Alexander 6'6" w/ 6'11" ws big scoring combo guard with solid steal rate and overall solid defender,plays with a decent motor and is a natural leader. Knocks are needs a quicker release and improve his court vision.

FYI I am not a fan of drafting WCJ as projected by many so called mock experts without a trade sending Thompson out.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#75 » by Stillwater » Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:30 am

Sexton is a solid pick I think he will stick here, would have been happier if we also grabbed a 2nd from Philly to get Khyri Thomas as well. he has no business falling to Philly at 38 being a 1st round talent and as expected Philly moved that pick and Thomas ending up in Detroit.
some names to watch that went undrafted that could help this team: Alkins,Trier,Newman,Terrell,Bluiett,Duval and also some front court assets in Gary Clark and Kenrick WIlliams.
Revenged25
Analyst

Post#76 » by Revenged25 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:12 pm

I think there were 3 players in the 2nd I would've love to got if they could've in Khyrie Thomas, KBD, and Mitchell Robinson. I wouldn't have even cared if we had to trade Hill + JR to teams looking to clear a bunch of money for the 2019 offseason and had to take back a bad 2 year contract like Deng/Parsons/Mozgov/Mahinmi to get them, but those 3 would've been amazing depth 4th/5th starters potentially.

Oh, well, hopefully we find a new head coach, no offense to Lue, he's doing the best he can considering the circumstances, but with his health issues and likely a movement to a younger team, I think we need a coach that could come in and install a true offensive system. I wouldn't be opposed to bringing back David Blatt even. He has the schemes to put into place but I don't think he got the chance to with LeBron pretty much deciding the type of offense a team will run. Still sad we missed out on seeing what Blatt could've done with Irving/Waiters/Wiggins trio, but can't argue with getting LeBron back and getting the Cavs a championship.

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers