ImageImageImage

8th pick prospects in that range

Moderator: ijspeelman

JJ_PR
Analyst
And1: 2,808

Re: 8th pick prospects in that range 

Post#41 » by JJ_PR » Thu May 24, 2018 2:13 pm

I think you take Porter if he's there. I would even trade up to get him. His brother is also an interesting prospect. A lefty stretch four with great range. Would be great if the cavs can draft them both. Two solid prospects to build around.
Stillwater
RealGM
And1: 3,655

Post#42 » by Stillwater » Thu May 24, 2018 5:23 pm

JJ_PR wrote:I think you take Porter if he's there. I would even trade up to get him. His brother is also an interesting prospect. A lefty stretch four with great range. Would be great if the cavs can draft them both. Two solid prospects to build around.

About the only way he falls to 8 riding the hype train is if he doesn't give any medicals to any other teams in the top 7;doubtful, or the medicals come back with long-term concerns and short term deficiencies enough for whomever he shows them to be cautious and to pass. Obviously he was a top 3 recruit , and is a skilled offensive player but post back injury players are never the same athletically even if what he has to offer is still really impressive it's going to take him longer than this summer to get into game shape, and would only be picked by the org as a trade piece for a vet .I can just see it now him riding the pine in a suit injured all season...no thanks
Some other concerns I have with him on this roster is he was not good at moving the ball , wants the ball all the time , and has character issues and alpha entitlement problems. Claiming he is the best player in the draft is pretty arrogant at this stage considering he hasn't shown it, injury or not it's all the more reason to not pick him that high. I'd consider trading down as I'm sure LAC would fork over both late lottery picks for MPJ going on infatuation with him as a hs player.
SUNDOWN BRINGS A WELCOME CHANGE TO EVERYTHING THAT'S HIDING
JJ_PR
Analyst
And1: 2,808

Post#43 » by JJ_PR » Thu May 24, 2018 6:49 pm

Stillwater wrote:
JJ_PR wrote:I think you take Porter if he's there. I would even trade up to get him. His brother is also an interesting prospect. A lefty stretch four with great range. Would be great if the cavs can draft them both. Two solid prospects to build around.

About the only way he falls to 8 riding the hype train is if he doesn't give any medicals to any other teams in the top 7;doubtful, or the medicals come back with long-term concerns and short term deficiencies enough for whomever he shows them to be cautious and to pass. Obviously he was a top 3 recruit , and is a skilled offensive player but post back injury players are never the same athletically even if what he has to offer is still really impressive it's going to take him longer than this summer to get into game shape, and would only be picked by the org as a trade piece for a vet .I can just see it now him riding the pine in a suit injured all season...no thanks
Some other concerns I have with him on this roster is he was not good at moving the ball , wants the ball all the time , and has character issues and alpha entitlement problems. Claiming he is the best player in the draft is pretty arrogant at this stage considering he hasn't shown it, injury or not it's all the more reason to not pick him that high. I'd consider trading down as I'm sure LAC would fork over both late lottery picks for MPJ going on infatuation with him as a hs player.

Agreed with everything you said.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#44 » by Stillwater » Sat May 26, 2018 4:49 am

bored out of my mind so I decided to throw out a pretty unlikely scenario where Young goes 3rd given the discord in ATL with schroeder , Sexton fits the ORL profile, MPJ fits the greatest need in CHI and Bamba falls to us as the ultimate trade bait.
I also threw in a couple unlikely late lottery picks in Brown and Wagner who have sleeper lottery potential that are projected later with Miles bringing up the end of the lottery
https://basketball.realgm.com/nba/draft/draft_simulator/view/491536/
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#45 » by Stillwater » Sun May 27, 2018 6:46 pm

Ayton and Bamba slide, Young and Carter rise:
https://basketball.realgm.com/nba/draft/draft_simulator/view/492091/
I think although unlikely Ayton slides, Jackson is a better 2-way player and something tells me ATL would pull the trigger on Young
if they buy into his offensive skill set changing the franchise for years to come.
I think Carter could be considered a better pro than Bagley by a couple teams given his game needs a lot of work defensively.
Bamba despite elite length is raw enough he could fall this far although still not likely.
Here we take the best player "now" , but could easily justify Bamba as a pick and flip option
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#46 » by Stillwater » Fri Jun 1, 2018 12:42 am

in this somewhat unlikely mock based on multiple trade rumors the Cavs move down and still get 3 high level prospects 8-)
https://basketball.realgm.com/nba/draft/draft_simulator/view/494535/
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#47 » by Stillwater » Mon Jun 4, 2018 2:37 pm

I am convinced at this point we will pick the player on the board that offers the most value in a trade regardless of fit on this roster, because if Lebron stays it's most likely because we are making a smart win now trade and if he leaves we need the biggest upside value player we can get going forward. It's difficult to project who will be there at 8 if anyone that fills a need and is at the same time the highest value trade asset , so it's more likely the highest value and not a direct need pick.
I think we should consider regardless of what we do with the lottery pick trading into the early 2nd and picking up a player at a position of need. If Frazier , Bruce Brown, Jerome Robinson, Alkins , MIlton,Shamet ,Evans etc are there it's a no brainer to get 1.
Also wouldn't mind looking at Bonga or Graham a little later.
Trailbreaker
Junior
And1: 115

Post#48 » by Trailbreaker » Tue Jun 5, 2018 8:12 pm

If we pick up a second round pick, I think Grayson Allen would be a good pickup.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#49 » by Stillwater » Tue Jun 5, 2018 9:20 pm

Trailbreaker wrote:If we pick up a second round pick, I think Grayson Allen would be a good pickup.

If he can clear up some of his poor decision making he would be a great pick up after 35. Doubt he falls that far being a solid athlete with decent combo guard skills. There are others that I would take in the early first before him esp Shamet and to a lesser degree Milton who are a steal anywhere after the 1st in a loaded draft where they will or normally would be 1st round locks.
If Bruce Brown lasts to the 2nd [unlikely] his toughness and under rated iq would also be highly appealing to this roster as another playmaker.
The sleeper targets though imo who would be great pick ups for us in a win now mode are Jevon Carter or Bryant Crawford who we could reasonably expect to get mid to late 2nd esp Crawford. Carter would probably require a little higher pick being the best on ball defender at the 1 in the entire draft.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#50 » by Stillwater » Tue Jun 5, 2018 11:08 pm

Souring a little bit on Mikal lately, hasn't had great workouts and might be shorter than previously reported.[not confirmed,and since he passed on participation in the combine anthro,just don't have recent numbers] If he is incapable of defending the sf position his ability as a swingman is out so the listed 7'1" ws if it is an exaggeration could prove costly for his draft spot.
Still has a lot of what we need in a high level perimeter shooter and overall high IQ defender at the 2 guard spot though so I am still in favor of him being the selection just not as much and also given he is not a great initiator which we are more need of imo, I could see us passing on his high floor for a more dynamic player if for some odd reason this org is set on keeping the picked player or can't get any reasonable trade offers.I would not be the least bit shocked if we took Sexton esp if Young goes early.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#51 » by Stillwater » Wed Jun 6, 2018 5:01 pm

https://basketball.realgm.com/nba/draft/draft_simulator/view/497366/
In this one Cavs trade down 2 spots and pick up a late first. They also acquire a late 2nd from PHO
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#52 » by Stillwater » Wed Jun 6, 2018 10:43 pm

https://basketball.realgm.com/nba/draft/draft_simulator/view/497592/
This mock has a lot of rumored trade action [first round only]
Gives us trade bait and another pick to use on a win now back court defender with under rated scoring ability.
tundraknight
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,927

Post#53 » by tundraknight » Fri Jun 8, 2018 7:12 am

Stillwater wrote:https://basketball.realgm.com/nba/draft/draft_simulator/view/497366/
In this one Cavs trade down 2 spots and pick up a late first. They also acquire a late 2nd from PHO

Tbh I’d rather try to trade up if possible than trade down.

I guess it depends on what direction the Cavs front office wants to go and wether Lebron leaves or not.

I’m wondering what the Cavs GM Top targets are/Big Board is in this draft.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#54 » by Stillwater » Fri Jun 8, 2018 3:39 pm

tundraknight wrote:
Stillwater wrote:https://basketball.realgm.com/nba/draft/draft_simulator/view/497366/

Tbh I’d rather try to trade up if possible than trade down.

I guess it depends on what direction the Cavs front office wants to go and wether Lebron leaves or not.

I’m wondering what the Cavs GM Top targets are/Big Board is in this draft.

Doubt we have the assets to offer that would outbid Boston & definitely not SA if Leonard is offered to move to 4th.
Unless you think we would move Love and take on a bad contract just for the draft pick...I don't.
And there is a significant possibility Memphis ends up getting Doncic drop in their lap at 4 anyway where they would not trade the pick if Doncic doesn't go 1st overall, which is starting to look like a strong possibility with PHO high on Ayton despite Doncic being the most nba ready and highest iq prospect in this draft.
I don't see the top 3 teams doing any deals without getting Leonard or similar as compensation in this draft.
Maybe we could work out a trade with ORL assuming they are sold on Young and CHI isn't. But that would have to mean we are trading up for someone other than Young and at 6 who is it? MPJ? Not sure Porter makes a lot of sense to give up other assets for just to leapfrog CHI esp with the back injury history and the fact that he needs the ball to be effective and is not a team player yet etc.
If somehow Jaren Jackson or Bamba fell there I would consider it if I knew Lebron was out...but lets face it, what we do with this draft pick , not who we pick will have more to do with how much incentive it adds to Lebron remaining in CLE.
We are not giving up young players or other assets including the pick if we are going into a rebuild, and we are highly unlikely to keep the player drafted in the lottery if we want to remain a contender and retain Lebron James. Slim chance Mikal Bridges drafted and kept would be enough to sway Lebron into believing Mikal will close the gap on GSW and Houston and Boston and Philly etc alone, it would require this org to successfully make more roster changes this summer.
I would rather trade down to pick up another pick later to get the potential steal that we would keep [ which would definitely be the case if Thomas fell that far as a shoe in replacement for Smith and is better defensively]. Then using the lottery picked player as trade bait to unload a bad contract or if a good enough vet is offered give up a rotation player and the picked player for an upgrade etc.
I think having 2 picks gives us a better team than trading future assets or rotation players for a higher recruited ranked prospect that is not going to be a contributor on a contender for a long time and would only make sense if doing all that we still have Love, Lebron returns and we dangle the higher picked prospect and get a third all star , if Altman could pull that off he's a genius.
taj2133
General Manager
And1: 2,972

Post#55 » by taj2133 » Sat Jun 9, 2018 9:03 pm

No rest for the weary: With the Cavs’ season ending in a Finals sweep on Friday, the front office hosted a draft workout for Alabama guard Collin Sexton on Saturday, league sources tell ESPN.
https://twitter.com/mcten
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#56 » by Stillwater » Sun Jun 10, 2018 3:39 pm

Stillwater
RealGM

Post#57 » by Stillwater » Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:07 pm

https://youtu.be/qT6u2exV81Ydiamond-in-the-rough Kendrick Nunn
Acquiring a mid-late 2nd round pick could be justified for the nba ready body and highly efficient lefty scorer out of Oakland University.
Was hoping he would be a potential camp invite after going undrafted, but it is looking like
we would have to grab a late 2nd minimum. Immediately see the efficiency from beyond the break.
Has some off court issues in past , but seems as if they were over blown as more than perpetual behavior issues.
admitting to pouring water on a woman who stole his $ is immature but not what I would consider violence towards women either.
I'm guessing that label has kept his stock down, because the mans game is solid.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#58 » by Stillwater » Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:37 am

Here is a reasonable trade option mock, not accounting for other possible movement before 8.
https://basketball.realgm.com/nba/draft/draft_simulator/view/502852/
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#59 » by Stillwater » Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:00 pm

https://basketball.realgm.com/nba/draft/draft_simulator/view/504081/
best ranked all senior pool mock only Hutchinson and slim chance Allen or Carter go late 1st.
these are all players the Cavs should target as some will be available late 2nd where a pick should be attainable.
You could also add the likes of Donte Ingram, George King,Keenan Evans,Jared Terrel,E.C. Matthews, Rob Gray, Isaac Haas,Bonzie Colson,Sviatoslav Mykhailiul , Kenrick Williams,Joel Berry,Mikyle MvIntosh etc to that list although most of them won't get drafted.
tundraknight
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,927

Post#60 » by tundraknight » Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:15 pm

The NBA Draft is next week! :rock:

I just want the suspense to finally be over with.

Please make a great pick Altman :pray:

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers