Moderator: ijspeelman

Stillwater
RealGM
And1: 3,655

Re: Game 2 Round 1: Indiana Pacers (5) @ Cleveland Cavaliers (4) - 7:00 PM EST 

Post#21 » by Stillwater » Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:54 pm

Pacers_Freak wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:
Stillwater wrote:http://www.nba.com/article/2018/04/19/report-cleveland-cavaliers-kevin-love-suffers-partially-torn-ligament-left-thumb

This is a better link. Will play game 3 but I'm not so sure I buy it won't impact his game.
Glad nothing worse etc

I don't think he should play. Tony Allen was on NBA TV last night and said he couldn't even grip a coffee mug after he tore a ligament in his thumb. Marcus Smart is out for the playoffs with the same injury. Those are two of the toughest guys in the NBA. This is probably Kevin doing something stupid because of the soft narrative.

I had the same injury in high school. I couldn't imagine playing 2 days later. Let alone it not effecting my play. Different sport but still. I couldn't grip anything. Hope it is just mild. Never want to see guys get hurt.

you had a partial tear? how long did it take to heal, or did you need reconstructive surgery etc?
SUNDOWN BRINGS A WELCOME CHANGE TO EVERYTHING THAT'S HIDING
Pacers_Freak
Veteran
And1: 2,719

Post#22 » by Pacers_Freak » Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:07 pm

Stillwater wrote:
Pacers_Freak wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:
I don't think he should play. Tony Allen was on NBA TV last night and said he couldn't even grip a coffee mug after he tore a ligament in his thumb. Marcus Smart is out for the playoffs with the same injury. Those are two of the toughest guys in the NBA. This is probably Kevin doing something stupid because of the soft narrative.

I had the same injury in high school. I couldn't imagine playing 2 days later. Let alone it not effecting my play. Different sport but still. I couldn't grip anything. Hope it is just mild. Never want to see guys get hurt.

you had a partial tear? how long did it take to heal, or did you need reconstructive surgery etc?

I didn't need surgery. It probably took me a couple of weeks to get some grip back to where I felt I could play. I tried to practice the next day because I was young and dumb and I was useless. I'm sure that there are different levels of sprains, partial tears, etc. I am also going to assume that the Cavs medical staff is well ahead of my former high schools. If it was to the same degree as mine I think he may be able to gut it out... I'm just not sure how effective he could be. I forget which hand its on but regardless when that thing gets hit catching a pass, rebound, or a foul he is going to be HURTING. It was the most frustrating injury I ever had in my "illustrious" athletic career because you think its a dang thumb I should be able to play, but the pain is real.

I'll add IMO the Love will play talk is a smoke screen. I saw it happen and it looked familiar and I was surprised how quickly after the game Lue said he would play.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#23 » by Stillwater » Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:15 pm

Pacers_Freak wrote:
Stillwater wrote:
Pacers_Freak wrote:

I didn't need surgery. It probably took me a couple of weeks to get some grip back to where I felt I could play. I tried to practice the next day because I was young and dumb and I was useless. I'm sure that there are different levels of sprains, partial tears, etc. I am also going to assume that the Cavs medical staff is well ahead of my former high schools. If it was to the same degree as mine I think he may be able to gut it out... I'm just not sure how effective he could be. I forget which hand its on but regardless when that thing gets hit catching a pass, rebound, or a foul he is going to be HURTING. It was the most frustrating injury I ever had in my "illustrious" athletic career because you think its a dang thumb I should be able to play, but the pain is real.

I'll add IMO the Love will play talk is a smoke screen. I saw it happen and it looked familiar and I was surprised how quickly after the game Lue said he would play.

yep any injury sucks, but it sounds like being a partial tear he and the Cavs org are not concerned about it in the non shooting hand.
Remains to be seen, not sure if he should play if the issue is being downplayed significantly because we need him esp where it will effect his game significantly, but he is a lot tougher than people think and would not likely sit out in the playoffs at the expense of him not being in pain alone. + the add on that some consider him soft as a driver to play, but mostly just part of the mind set of anyone who wants to win. I would not play myself if I was told we can win without you ,get better for round 2...but I don't see that happening.
cavs4872
Senior
And1: 243

Post#24 » by cavs4872 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:27 pm

I'm assuming Nance would be the replacement? Why do I feel like this would be a blessing in disguise *cough* interior defense.
Pacers_Freak
Veteran
And1: 2,719

Post#25 » by Pacers_Freak » Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:46 pm

Stillwater wrote:
Pacers_Freak wrote:
Stillwater wrote:you had a partial tear? how long did it take to heal, or did you need reconstructive surgery etc?

yep any injury sucks, but it sounds like being a partial tear he and the Cavs org are not concerned about it in the non shooting hand.
Remains to be seen, not sure if he should play if the issue is being downplayed significantly because we need him esp where it will effect his game significantly, but he is a lot tougher than people think and would not likely sit out in the playoffs at the expense of him not being in pain alone. + the add on that some consider him soft as a driver to play, but mostly just part of the mind set of anyone who wants to win. I would not play myself if I was told we can win without you ,get better for round 2...but I don't see that happening.

I hope he can. Never like seeing guys miss games. Hopefully it is minor. Being the off hand I would think rebounding would be the main pain cause. Hopefully it doesn't have an effect on the game. Been nice talking ball with ya'll.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#26 » by Stillwater » Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:10 pm

cavs4872 wrote:I'm assuming Nance would be the replacement? Why do I feel like this would be a blessing in disguise *cough* interior defense.

This would limit our driving lanes without the stretch 5.

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers