ImageImageImage

How Many Games Do The Cavs Have To Win To Keep Lebron?

Moderator: ijspeelman

CaptainCanada
Junior
And1: 259

How Many Games Do The Cavs Have To Win To Keep Lebron? 

Post#1 » by CaptainCanada » Tue Jun 5, 2018 9:15 am

I say three.
Stillwater
RealGM
And1: 3,655

Re: How Many Games Do The Cavs Have To Win To Keep Lebron? 

Post#2 » by Stillwater » Tue Jun 5, 2018 9:27 pm

non factor...
It's not like what this team does now to close out the season is a measuring stick for his expectations. What the org does about it if they fail will be a factor, and what they do if the team flips the script will be a factor as well.
I think unless we get swept how many games we win in this series won't sway him much, but would certainly make justifiable excuses for him if he isn't happy with the orgs moves or lack thereof.
SUNDOWN BRINGS A WELCOME CHANGE TO EVERYTHING THAT'S HIDING
cheese318
Sixth Man
And1: 227

Post#3 » by cheese318 » Thu Jun 7, 2018 9:53 pm

LeBron would leave this team if they won a title. Dan Gilbert is the reason for making his star player leave again. Smart move Dan

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Hoopzilla wrote:
Whether I was born or not when the Orlando Magic tried to form a Super Team means absolutely nothing to this conversation. One thing is pretty clear, you are the load your mother should have swallowed and moved on with her life... :nod:
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#4 » by Stillwater » Fri Jun 8, 2018 1:50 am

cheese318 wrote:LeBron would leave this team if they won a title. Dan Gilbert is the reason for making his star player leave again. Smart move Dan

Can't speak on what exactly it is you are referencing. They have a typical owner / franchise player working relationship...any differences in political views or if you are referencing past decisions made by Gilbert such as trading the disgruntled Irving , I'm not sure there was much else Gilbert could have done,with Irving threatening to do exactly what he did in Boston at the end of the season missing the playoffs. We would have no more chance at a title with a street clothes Irving than we do now.
Sure Lebron might not have wanted us to trade Irving, but I'm sure he doesn't hold it against the ownership given the circumstances.
Lebron has several reasons to stay as well as leave, so the only real question is what his priorities are at this juncture of his life. I for one do not think legacy chasing by joining a loaded team elsewhere improves his resume more than staying.
cheese318
Sixth Man

Post#5 » by cheese318 » Sat Jun 9, 2018 5:44 am

Stillwater wrote:
cheese318 wrote:LeBron would leave this team if they won a title. Dan Gilbert is the reason for making his star player leave again. Smart move Dan

Can't speak on what exactly it is you are referencing. They have a typical owner / franchise player working relationship...any differences in political views or if you are referencing past decisions made by Gilbert such as trading the disgruntled Irving , I'm not sure there was much else Gilbert could have done,with Irving threatening to do exactly what he did in Boston at the end of the season missing the playoffs. We would have no more chance at a title with a street clothes Irving than we do now.
Sure Lebron might not have wanted us to trade Irving, but I'm sure he doesn't hold it against the ownership given the circumstances.
Lebron has several reasons to stay as well as leave, so the only real question is what his priorities are at this juncture of his life. I for one do not think legacy chasing by joining a loaded team elsewhere improves his resume more than staying.

Star player requested to not trade Kyrie. Owner doesn’t listen. Star player doesn’t want GM fired ; owner doesn’t listen. Star player contract is up this year. Why would he even consider when the owner is not listening to him?
Hoopzilla wrote:
Whether I was born or not when the Orlando Magic tried to form a Super Team means absolutely nothing to this conversation. One thing is pretty clear, you are the load your mother should have swallowed and moved on with her life... :nod:
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#6 » by Stillwater » Sat Jun 9, 2018 3:09 pm

cheese318 wrote:
Stillwater wrote:

Star player requested to not trade Kyrie. Owner doesn’t listen. Star player doesn’t want GM fired ; owner doesn’t listen. Star player contract is up this year. Why would he even consider when the owner is not listening to him?

What makes you think that's really how it went? Of course Lebron says now he didn't want' Kyrie traded now that the return turned into the 8th pick instead of 1st.
Maybe he didn't want Irving to leave, but it was in Irving threatening to sit out the season that made the owner pull the trigger, who cares what my star player wants if my 2nd star isn't going to be anything but a distraction all season or not even in the building and possibly the next season as well...ala Kawhi Leonard.
Gilbert and Altman did what 99% of the leagues owners would have done in that situation, so the fact the best offer for him came from the 2nd best team in the east was unfortunate, but that's how it is...you take the best deal.
As far as Griffin, Griffin "Chose to walk" he was not fired.
Trailbreaker
Junior
And1: 115

Post#7 » by Trailbreaker » Sat Jun 9, 2018 4:30 pm

Cheese, do you live in Greater Cleveland-Elyria Metro area? Even if you don’t they’ve talked about this stuff with Gilbert, Irving, and James throughout the year on 92.3 the Fan. Thompson got paid, Smith got paid, like James wanted. Cavs payroll is ridiculously through the roof, Gilbert has acted in getting a contending team out there. There are Pistons fans on the Pistons board on RealGM who want Gilbert to be their owner.
cheese318
Sixth Man

Post#8 » by cheese318 » Sat Jun 9, 2018 5:31 pm

Stillwater wrote:
cheese318 wrote:
Stillwater wrote:Can't speak on what exactly it is you are referencing. They have a typical owner / franchise player working relationship...any differences in political views or if you are referencing past decisions made by Gilbert such as trading the disgruntled Irving , I'm not sure there was much else Gilbert could have done,with Irving threatening to do exactly what he did in Boston at the end of the season missing the playoffs. We would have no more chance at a title with a street clothes Irving than we do now.

What makes you think that's really how it went? Of course Lebron says now he didn't want' Kyrie traded now that the return turned into the 8th pick instead of 1st.
Maybe he didn't want Irving to leave, but it was in Irving threatening to sit out the season that made the owner pull the trigger, who cares what my star player wants if my 2nd star isn't going to be anything but a distraction all season or not even in the building and possibly the next season as well...ala Kawhi Leonard.
Gilbert and Altman did what 99% of the leagues owners would have done in that situation, so the fact the best offer for him came from the 2nd best team in the east was unfortunate, but that's how it is...you take the best deal.

All James wanted was his teammates to be on the court. I agree those were bad contracts. But in reality not having them on the court was not going to help out the team especially without any flexibility with the roster at that time. Could they have saved 3-4 Million on both of those contracts I believe so but in the end they would be in the same position if those contracts were just a tad cheaper. LeBron just wanted his running mates on the court. I would expect any teammate would request the same because they were not going for any other players nor would they have had any salary cap with Irving, Love & James locked up. So you are stuck with what you have at that point. Thompson played great in the playoffs. He was still very young.

Gilbert is a fantastic spender of money. He knew he would have to spend money once LeBron agreed to come home. But what he did last year after the finals was completely moronic and egoistical from my perspective. Why would you fire a GM who got the team to the NBA finals three straight years and won a title in 2016. You can say it was all LeBron but he made some important trades that helped the roster become what it was to win a title.

As much as Kyrie requested a trade let’s be realistic he was not in any position of power. He was locked up for to seasons. Plain and simple. And if he was threatening to have surgery so be it. I would make sure that report is announced to the media as well. Let’s say he has surgery in October. He would have been healthy by February/March and he could have played in the playoffs. I just think Dan Gilbert was not very bright to deal with all that trade drama and firing his GM who would have been a key component to help in that situation.

If winning is that important why would Dan Gilbert trade for a 5’9” PG with a broken hip. Any talks with Boston that included Kyrie should have included Jayson Tatum or Jaylen Brown. Once Danny Ainge says they are untouchable you hang up the phone. It’s thats simple. If winning was that important why wouldn’t he listen to his star player who was about to be a free agent. It just doesn’t make any sense. I think Dan Gilbert got really mad when LeBron would not agree to an extension last offseason
Hoopzilla wrote:
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#9 » by Stillwater » Sat Jun 9, 2018 5:50 pm

cheese318 wrote:
Stillwater wrote:
cheese318 wrote:

All James wanted was his teammates to be on the court. I agree those were bad contracts. But in reality not having them on the court was not going to help out the team especially without any flexibility with the roster at that time. Could they have saved 3-4 Million on both of those contracts I believe so but in the end they would be in the same position if those contracts were just a tad cheaper. LeBron just wanted his running mates on the court. I would expect any teammate would request the same because they were not going for any other players nor would they have had any salary cap with Irving, Love & James locked up. So you are stuck with what you have at that point. Thompson played great in the playoffs. He was still very young.

Gilbert is a fantastic spender of money. He knew he would have to spend money once LeBron agreed to come home. But what he did last year after the finals was completely moronic and egoistical from my perspective. Why would you fire a GM who got the team to the NBA finals three straight years and won a title in 2016. You can say it was all LeBron but he made some important trades that helped the roster become what it was to win a title.

As much as Kyrie requested a trade let’s be realistic he was not in any position of power. He was locked up for to seasons. Plain and simple. And if he was threatening to have surgery so be it. I would make sure that report is announced to the media as well. Let’s say he has surgery in October. He would have been healthy by February/March and he could have played in the playoffs. I just think Dan Gilbert was not very bright to deal with all that trade drama and firing his GM who would have been a key component to help in that situation.

If winning is that important why would Dan Gilbert trade for a 5’9” PG with a broken hip. Any talks with Boston that included Kyrie should have included Jayson Tatum or Jaylen Brown. Once Danny Ainge says they are untouchable you hang up the phone. It’s thats simple. If winning was that important why wouldn’t he listen to his star player who was about to be a free agent. It just doesn’t make any sense. I think Dan Gilbert got really mad when LeBron would not agree to an extension last offseason

I don't get why the general feeling is that Griff was fired...he wasn't fired. What happened was Gilbert didn't offer him the extension on his current deal and was willing to renegotiate a new contract given the interest that the Magic and a couple other teams had of hiring and promoting Griffin to president of BO etc and wanted to retain Griff, but Griff was not happy with the offer that Gilbert put on the table and walked thinking he would get one of the other gigs, but they wouldn't pay him what he wanted either and now he is doing spot gigs on television.
Griff did a lot of ballsy moves to bring this org a championship, but after the 4-1 loss in 17 finals he was under a lot of pressure to get something significant done, which is where the blockbuster trade scenarios involving Irving was leaked to the media , creating the disgruntled Irving and leaving this Org in desperation mode in the fallout of it. Griffin was not given the extension because for all intensive purposes his desire to make the moves necessary including Irving and Love in trade talks backfired big time when they fell through.
He also has been fighting Cancer for years a little published fact etc.
I don't know what more Gilbert could have done, other than hope that letting Griff walk instead of providing the deal he wanted , might have changed Irvings mind about the orgs commitment , but as it was Gilbert got the blame and Irving thought James was behind it.
It's over...all of that.
how the media likes to paint things to make it seems like all is lost is total bs.
We got younger after the deadline, have an asset in the lottery pick and will not be in a total rebuild even if Lebron walks.
We certainly won't be a contender for several years if he leaves given the contracts still on the books of players over paid for to compliment Lebron that will be hard to shed{griffin pushed those contracts} etc. But we will still be a fringe playoff team as is.
But if we can shed bad contracts and blow it up to get out of the repeater we should also get a couple of draft assets for Love and Hill etc and could fast track a reboot without losing the young players like Osman and Nance who we want to retain long term.Then going full rebuild the following summer when more contracts fall off.
Trailbreaker
Junior
And1: 115

Post#10 » by Trailbreaker » Sat Jun 9, 2018 7:26 pm

If I remember correctly, too Gilbert has yet to renew a GM's contract.
cheese318
Sixth Man

Post#11 » by cheese318 » Sat Jun 9, 2018 11:59 pm

Stillwater wrote:
cheese318 wrote:
Stillwater wrote:What makes you think that's really how it went? Of course Lebron says now he didn't want' Kyrie traded now that the return turned into the 8th pick instead of 1st.

I don't get why the general feeling is that Griff was fired...he wasn't fired. What happened was Gilbert didn't offer him the extension on his current deal and was willing to renegotiate a new contract given the interest that the Magic and a couple other teams had of hiring and promoting Griffin to president of BO etc and wanted to retain Griff, but Griff was not happy with the offer that Gilbert put on the table and walked thinking he would get one of the other gigs, but they wouldn't pay him what he wanted either and now he is doing spot gigs on television.
Griff did a lot of ballsy moves to bring this org a championship, but after the 4-1 loss in 17 finals he was under a lot of pressure to get something significant done, which is where the blockbuster trade scenarios involving Irving was leaked to the media , creating the disgruntled Irving and leaving this Org in desperation mode in the fallout of it. Griffin was not given the extension because for all intensive purposes his desire to make the moves necessary including Irving and Love in trade talks backfired big time when they fell through.
I don't know what more Gilbert could have done, other than hope that letting Griff walk instead of providing the deal he wanted , might have changed Irvings mind about the orgs commitment , but as it was Gilbert got the blame and Irving thought James was behind it.
It's over...all of that.
how the media likes to paint things to make it seems like all is lost is total bs.
We got younger after the deadline, have an asset in the lottery pick and will not be in a total rebuild even if Lebron walks.
We certainly won't be a contender for several years if he leaves given the contracts still on the books of players over paid for to compliment Lebron that will be hard to shed{griffin pushed those contracts} etc. But we will still be a fringe playoff team as is.
But if we can shed bad contracts and blow it up to get out of the repeater we should also get a couple of draft assets for Love and Hill etc and could fast track a reboot without losing the young players like Osman and Nance who we want to retain long term.Then going full rebuild the following summer when more contracts fall off.

If he really wanted LeBron to finish his career in Cleveland he wouldn’t have mortgaged Kyrie Irving for a draft pick plain and simple. Gilbert is the reason LeBron is leaving. Gilbert and his giant ego who doesn’t want any GM to ever get credit for the money he spends on the team. When Griffin left right when free agency was approaching was the dumbest decision for the franchise. All your points above are useless. He didn’t deserved to be fired or let go. You need to create the image of a great management. Doing what Gilbert only created what people thought was turmoil. Ty Lue got a five year extension for winning a title. Explain to me why David Griffin did not deserve to stay. Dan Gilbert’s ego is the reason why the Cavs are falling apart. In due time they will be rebuild and it could be for the best. But you Nd to open your eyes. Dan Gilbert spent a lot of money and I commend him for working to try to win titles. What he did last offseason was just dumb. He could have left everything the way it was. Guarantee Irving trade request may have never hit the public with Griffin in the fold. And if so I guarantee Griffin if he felt he needed to move Irving it would have happened before the news broke that he wanted out of Cleveland.

How do you not see the unnecessary drama that occurred last summer unacceptable for a title contender. Why would LeBron want to stay with this organization after that occurred? He never trusted Gilbert. Longest contract he ever signed was two years and I bet he regrets that last offseason. If he signed a 1-1 like in years past Gilbert would have been stuck having to make the organization not look like it was in turmoil. I just think he is a stupid man for what occurred and the blame should only be put on him when the team crumbles. Now if they rebuild quickly he could be the savior so we will see
Hoopzilla wrote:
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#12 » by Stillwater » Sun Jun 10, 2018 12:18 am

cheese318 wrote:
Stillwater wrote:
cheese318 wrote:

It's over...all of that.

If he really wanted LeBron to finish his career in Cleveland he wouldn’t have mortgaged Kyrie Irving for a draft pick plain and simple. Gilbert is the reason LeBron is leaving. Gilbert and his giant ego who doesn’t want any GM to ever get credit for the money he spends on the team. When Griffin left right when free agency was approaching was the dumbest decision for the franchise. All your points above are useless. He didn’t deserved to be fired or let go. You need to create the image of a great management. Doing what Gilbert only created what people thought was turmoil. Ty Lue got a five year extension for winning a title. Explain to me why David Griffin did not deserve to stay. Dan Gilbert’s ego is the reason why the Cavs are falling apart. In due time they will be rebuild and it could be for the best. But you Nd to open your eyes. Dan Gilbert spent a lot of money and I commend him for working to try to win titles. What he did last offseason was just dumb. He could have left everything the way it was. Guarantee Irving trade request may have never hit the public with Griffin in the fold. And if so I guarantee Griffin if he felt he needed to move Irving it would have happened before the news broke that he wanted out of Cleveland.

How do you not see the unnecessary drama that occurred last summer unacceptable for a title contender. Why would LeBron want to stay with this organization after that occurred? He never trusted Gilbert. Longest contract he ever signed was two years and I bet he regrets that last offseason. If he signed a 1-1 like in years past Gilbert would have been stuck having to make the organization not look like it was in turmoil. I just think he is a stupid man for what occurred and the blame should only be put on him when the team crumbles. Now if they rebuild quickly he could be the savior so we will see

I do not agree with that. Gilbert made a choice based on more than what was best for the org on that day, he made a decision that was factoring in all of the possibilities with Irving threatening a walk out etc. As far as Griffin is concerned , to me despite all that he did for this org, his bold attempts to salvage the contender status with blockbuster trade talks after losing in 2017 with Irving was the reason Irving wanted out. Irving was not happy he was put in those talks, Griffin was the instigator of those talks and Gilbert was left to clean up the mess. I personally had hoped when the news broke that the Irving relationship could be repaired and then if an offer that was worth it was thrown at us trade him so that we wouldn't get pennies on the dollar. But Since Griff started looking for jobs elsewhere trying to get permission from Gilbert to speak to other teams, Gilbert sat down offered him a reasonable new deal despite the **** situation and Griff walked. Griff was under payed, should have taken the deal and cleaned up his own mess, I have no sympathy for him now.
cheese318
Sixth Man

Post#13 » by cheese318 » Sun Jun 10, 2018 1:26 am

Stillwater wrote:
cheese318 wrote:
Stillwater wrote:
It's over...all of that.

I do not agree with that. Gilbert made a choice based on more than what was best for the org on that day, he made a decision that was factoring in all of the possibilities with Irving threatening a walk out etc. As far as Griffin is concerned , to me despite all that he did for this org, his bold attempts to salvage the contender status with blockbuster trade talks after losing in 2017 with Irving was the reason Irving wanted out. Irving was not happy he was put in those talks, Griffin was the instigator of those talks and Gilbert was left to clean up the mess. I personally had hoped when the news broke that the Irving relationship could be repaired and then if an offer that was worth it was thrown at us trade him so that we wouldn't get pennies on the dollar. But Since Griff started looking for jobs elsewhere trying to get permission from Gilbert to speak to other teams, Gilbert sat down offered him a reasonable new deal despite the **** situation and Griff walked. Griff was under payed, should have taken the deal and cleaned up his own mess, I have no sympathy for him now.

You are deliriously stupid I’m sorry I just cannot agree with anything you say if you continue to side with Dan Gilbert. If LeBron signed a contact extension I guarantee Gilbert never trades for a draft pick. Gilbert cannot say he was trading to make the team better for 2017. He wanted that draft pick more than anything else. Or else he would have gotten a player to help LeBron this season not next year when he might not be here. A blind man can see that. And I bet if LeBron would have considered a trade Gilberts ego would have done it. As much money as he spends he’s a moron in the owners box. More people will see my point of view than your one sided point of view that favors Mr. Dan Gilbert. You make me feel like I’m talking to Dan Gilbert honestly because his moves were of my opinion his way to safely prepare for LeBron to leave.

Answer me this. Do you think Dan Gilbert would have done the exact same decisions last summer if LeBron was a free agent?
Hoopzilla wrote:
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#14 » by Stillwater » Sun Jun 10, 2018 12:59 pm

cheese318 wrote:
Stillwater wrote:
cheese318 wrote:

You are deliriously stupid I’m sorry I just cannot agree with anything you say if you continue to side with Dan Gilbert. If LeBron signed a contact extension I guarantee Gilbert never trades for a draft pick. Gilbert cannot say he was trading to make the team better for 2017. He wanted that draft pick more than anything else. Or else he would have gotten a player to help LeBron this season not next year when he might not be here. A blind man can see that. And I bet if LeBron would have considered a trade Gilberts ego would have done it. As much money as he spends he’s a moron in the owners box. More people will see my point of view than your one sided point of view that favors Mr. Dan Gilbert. You make me feel like I’m talking to Dan Gilbert honestly because his moves were of my opinion his way to safely prepare for LeBron to leave.

Answer me this. Do you think Dan Gilbert would have done the exact same decisions last summer if LeBron was a free agent?

I'm not siding with Gilbert ,just stating the often missed reality about what went down. I have no idea what's in any of said people's past or presents heads. Nor do I care to speculate what might have gone different based on general opinion about anyone for any reason when much of those views are usually distorted from one camp.
I will say this, I think if LeBron stays you can put those theories to rest.

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers