ImageImageImage

Sexton, Summer League, and youngins

Moderator: ijspeelman

yoyoboy
RealGM
And1: 18,804

Re: Sexton, Summer League, and youngins 

Post#41 » by yoyoboy » Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:30 pm

Really hope we get to see more of Cedi and Zizic in SL.

Yesterday was Sexton's best game and I really liked how he played overall. He didn't force anything, he kept everything within the offense, and he got others involved.

Specific things I've liked from Sexton:
- 6.0 FTA per game (shows his constant aggressiveness and the ability to get to the line is a valuable translatable skill)
- 3.25 RPG (not bad in under 29 mpg and I've really seen him working hard to box guys out and crash the glass)
- 2.5 TOPG (he's had a few bad turnovers from mishandles of the ball - and his handles do limit him as he has no "shake" to his game - but overall I think he's been solid protecting the ball and not trying to do too much out there)

What I haven't liked:
- 0.5 3PM per game, 25% 3P (his form is super clunky and most of his threes haven't been all that close not to mention he's clearly not comfortable trying to take them and even prefers to take long twos a foot in front of the line which are horribly inefficient)
- 0.5 SPG (this is very concerning for me; most good NBA PGs seem to really rack up a lot of steals in SL and to me this shows a slight lack of good awareness)
- 3.25 APG (now, his passing and willingness to get others involved is actually better than I thought it would be, however, one red flag for me is that he rarely ever creates scoring opportunities for others out of nothing; most of his assists are simple passes to the open guy which are still great but the best creators are able to cause breakdowns that allow for teammates to get baskets they wouldn't have otherwise, and I haven't seen that ability from Sexton yet)

I still think Young and Gilgeous-Alexander will ultimately be better players because I think the abilities they bring to the table/have the potential to bring to the table are more valuable in terms of impact at the NBA level. But I do like Sexton's bull dog attitude and if nothing else it'll be awesome for setting a good culture in the post-LeBron era. Going up against maybe the best perimeter defender in the class at the guard position on Saturday, De'Anthony Melton, will be a great test for him.
tundraknight
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,927

Post#42 » by tundraknight » Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:51 pm

yoyoboy wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:
yoyoboy wrote:I hate to say it but I'm not impressed by Sexton so far. His playmaking/floor general skills aren't great, his shot has looked like it has a long way to go, and he can't finish for his life. It's not a good sign that the shot he seems most comfortable taking is the long two. Didn't like him before the draft as a prospect and nothing's changed my mind so far, but it's still early I guess. I just think we really reached on him.

Zizic's post moves are so crazy advanced but I'm worried he's a dinosaur in an age of speed and versatility. His stamina is pretty bad and he gets lost in PnR situations on defense.

It sucks that Cedi didn't play tonight. He looked so much more confident last game than any other time I've seen him. Hopefully he keeps working on his shot. Once he gets that down, the sky is the limit for the kid.

Sexton's 19 and it's summer league. I don't see him as a Kyrie-level player though. Rozier, Bledsoe, or, if the Cavs are lucky, Conley are better comps.

WCJ looked legit tonight. It's a shame the Nets are such tryhards and weren't slightly worse for us to get a better pick.

Well it was fun having the Nets Pick Watch thread.

I was thinking we should eventually have a Cavaliers Pick Watch thread right before the regular season starts.

Since I’d assume the Cavaliers want to keep their 1st Round Draft Pick which is Top 10 Protected. Or else it would go to the Hawks.

http://www.tankathon.com/mock_draft
Latest Mock Draft at tankathon has the Cavaliers taking Sekou Doumbouya with the 7th overall pick. He’s only 17 years old an has an intriguing combination of size, speed, and power. Supposedly he compares himself to Paul George.

;time_continue=105
Stillwater
RealGM
And1: 3,655

Post#43 » by Stillwater » Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:15 pm

tundraknight wrote:
yoyoboy wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:
Sexton's 19 and it's summer league. I don't see him as a Kyrie-level player though. Rozier, Bledsoe, or, if the Cavs are lucky, Conley are better comps.

WCJ looked legit tonight. It's a shame the Nets are such tryhards and weren't slightly worse for us to get a better pick.

Well it was fun having the Nets Pick Watch thread.

I was thinking we should eventually have a Cavaliers Pick Watch thread right before the regular season starts.

Since I’d assume the Cavaliers want to keep their 1st Round Draft Pick which is Top 10 Protected. Or else it would go to the Hawks.

http://www.tankathon.com/mock_draft
Latest Mock Draft at tankathon has the Cavaliers taking Sekou Doumbouya with the 7th overall pick. He’s only 17 years old an has an intriguing combination of size, speed, and power. Supposedly he compares himself to Paul George.

;time_continue=105

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Unless the Cavs go full tank for a top 2-3 pick there isn't much difference between 4-18 in next years pathetic draft class.
this years class had 1st round locks in 90% of all past drafts going mid 2nd.
I feel as if the Cavs will be a fringe playoff team maybe even outplay expectations for a first round exit this season, forfeiting the pick to ATL in 2019 and make moves to pick up picks in 2020 or 2021 for expirings like Hill, Smith etc.
If Love is disgruntled before the deadline(doubtful) we will likely try to get into the top 10 in 2019 and also move him for a younger player that fits the timeline or a different vet with late lottery draft asset attached.
rolling out Sexton/?,Hood/JC, Osman/Holland, Nance/Preston,TT/Zizic/White after trades is a good foundation going into next season and one that can run the **** out of most teams they face.
SUNDOWN BRINGS A WELCOME CHANGE TO EVERYTHING THAT'S HIDING
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,175

Post#44 » by jbk1234 » Sat Jul 14, 2018 3:30 pm

You have to be very careful judging draft classes before these guys have even played a single college game. You never know who might separate themselves over the course of a season. You're pretty much talking about kids currently in high school.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#45 » by Stillwater » Sat Jul 14, 2018 4:30 pm

jbk1234 wrote:You have to be very careful judging draft classes before these guys have even played a single college game. You never know who might separate themselves over the course of a season. You're pretty much talking about kids currently in high school.

Thats true, there are always some kids who outplay projections etc.
But the fact remains the depth of rotation level prospects the 2018 draft along with high ceiling rookies and high floor upperclassmen is significant in comparison to 2019. Jarrett Culver or Nickeil Alexander-Walker look promising are probably the prospects we will be looking at in the 8-10 range which are probably nba starter material but not high tier 2 prospects like Barrett,Little or maybe Williamson.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,175

Post#46 » by jbk1234 » Sat Jul 14, 2018 4:47 pm

Stillwater wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:You have to be very careful judging draft classes before these guys have even played a single college game. You never know who might separate themselves over the course of a season. You're pretty much talking about kids currently in high school.

But the fact remains the depth of rotation level prospects the 2018 draft along with high ceiling rookies and high floor upperclassmen is significant in comparison to 2019. Jarrett Culver or Nickeil Alexander-Walker look promising are probably the prospects we will be looking at in the 8-10 range which are probably nba starter material but not high tier 2 prospects like Barrett,Little or maybe Williamson.

This is what they said about the draft that produced Giannis and Gobert.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#47 » by Stillwater » Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:00 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
Stillwater wrote:

This is what they said about the draft that produced Giannis and Gobert.

Yeah, I get it... but Giannis was a major boom bust prospect and Gobert should never have fallen to where he did given the weakness of that draft.
I am not at all excited about the players that will be available to us being all star caliber prospects unless we are at 1 -3 at least not at this point in time... like you say that may change.
Revenged25
Analyst
And1: 1,002

Post#48 » by Revenged25 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:55 am

Sucks to have it end, but Sexton balled out tonight and he might not have stepped up as much if Cedi and Zizic hadn't been shut down. Definitely looking forward to this young trio taking it to the regular season with some of the vets.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#49 » by Stillwater » Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:55 am

Another solid game by the entire Cavs sl roster
Great game by Sexton.tough loss in double ot.
Anyone not happy with our lottery selection needs to take up basket weaving
Revenged25
Analyst

Post#50 » by Revenged25 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:59 am

Stillwater wrote:Another solid game by the entire Cavs sl roster

That was definitely a charge by Hart not a blocking foul by Sexton at the end of regulation...
yoyoboy
RealGM
And1: 18,804

Post#51 » by yoyoboy » Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:44 pm

Revenged25 wrote:

That was definitely a charge by Hart not a blocking foul by Sexton at the end of regulation...

Don't forget the out of bounds call "on Sexton" that should've been our ball. And that charge was in the 2nd OT I believe, just like the out of bounds call.
Revenged25
Analyst

Post#52 » by Revenged25 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:50 pm

yoyoboy wrote:
Revenged25 wrote:

Don't forget the out of bounds call "on Sexton" that should've been our ball. And that charge was in the 2nd OT I believe, just like the out of bounds call.

Nope it was end of regulation. They had mentioned that if it was called the other way it would've been his 6th foul. That was how the Lakers went up by 1 before Sexton got that crazy inbound pass rip and then missed teh 1st, hit the 2nd on FT to head to overtime.

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers