ImageImageImage

The Kevin Love Situation

Moderator: ijspeelman

Revenged25
Analyst
And1: 1,002

The Kevin Love Situation 

Post#1 » by Revenged25 » Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:34 pm

With what the Cavs and Kevin Love decide to do being up in the air, there seems to be a a few possible trains of thoughts.

Option 1: Kevin Love tells the Cavs he'd like to stick around
a) Kevin Love plays out his deal opting in next off-season with the plan of extending/resigning.
b) He opts out and is resigned to a long term deal.
Question: What is the likely deal in both cases? I don't think he'll get the max, but I'm not sure if he'd give a discount to the Cavs either. I could see anywhere from 4/95(22/23.1/24.2/25.3) to 4/104(24/25.2/26.4/27.6) as likely deals for him that the Cavs would do.

Option 2: He lets the Cavs know that he would prefer to be moved/will not be willing to sign long term during the rebuild.
a) Do they trade him at the deadline once his value has increased?
b) Play out the year with him hoping to still convince him to resign but also risk losing him outright?
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,089

Re: The Kevin Love Situation 

Post#2 » by jbk1234 » Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:37 pm

Unless someone blows you away with an offer, I feel like the Cavs really need to play through until December to see where they're at as a team. Obviously you want to avoid picking 10-14 and gifting the Hawks a lottery pick but I suspect it will be easy to avoid that result. The Cavs have a lot of questions as to how good this team is without LBJ. I'd allow our performance to provide us with a direction.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
Stillwater
RealGM
And1: 3,655

Post#3 » by Stillwater » Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:20 pm

jbk1234 wrote:Unless someone blows you away with an offer, I feel like the Cavs really need to play through until December to see where they're at as a team. Obviously you want to avoid picking 10-14 and gifting the Hawks a lottery pick but I suspect it will be easy to avoid that result. The Cavs have a lot of questions as to how good this team is without LBJ. I'd allow our performance to provide us with a direction.

That's pretty much my take on what is going to happen. We will either outperform the low expectations of the nat media now that Lebron is gone and forfeit a low 20's pick to ATL in a weak draft, or we will be somewhere less where we are saying "should we tank and trade Love regardless of his interest in staying" or " OK he wants to stay here so we should keep him as the best player on the roster and try to build around him by moving other players not in the long-term plan"
SUNDOWN BRINGS A WELCOME CHANGE TO EVERYTHING THAT'S HIDING
Trailbreaker
Junior
And1: 115

Post#4 » by Trailbreaker » Tue Jul 24, 2018 3:59 pm

Kevin Love has committed to a 4 year, $120 million extension with the Cavs.
Stillwater
RealGM
And1: 3,655

Post#5 » by Stillwater » Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:35 pm

^ yep heres the link [url]
Read on Twitter
[/url]

This is outstanding news for the Cavs Org and proves we aint tanking
SUNDOWN BRINGS A WELCOME CHANGE TO EVERYTHING THAT'S HIDING

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers