ImageImageImage

Likely rotation for 18/19 season

Moderator: ijspeelman

Flinttropics33
Ballboy
And1: 9

Likely rotation for 18/19 season 

Post#1 » by Flinttropics33 » Wed Aug 22, 2018 12:50 am

What are everyone's thoughts on the rotation we have come opening night? I would guess something along the lines of:
Thompson / Zizic
Love / Nance Jr
Korver / Osman
Hill / Sexton
Smith / Hood
I would like to see Osman getting mote minutes than Korver and it would be interesting to see if you can play Hill and Sexton together for spurts.

Sent from my Z965 using Tapatalk
Stillwater
RealGM
And1: 3,655

Re: Likely rotation for 18/19 season 

Post#2 » by Stillwater » Wed Aug 22, 2018 3:14 pm

yeah depending on the progression of Preston which will likely be slow, Nance will probably back up Love at the 4.
Thompson will start at the 5 with Zizic off the bench.
a lot of guard play and sf position will be governed by match ups but I expect Sexton could get the starting gig pretty early on.
the versatility of Hill would allow him to play some off ball, but I'm curious to see if Osman has improved his jumper enough to move to the 2 more than the 3 where his defense will be even more amplified.
If we roll out a sl of
Hill,Smith,Korver,Love and TT i'd guess it wouldn't last long before Lue was on the hot seat.
I expect this to be the rotation that works best initially:
Hill/Sexton/Taylor
Hood/Smith/Clarkson/Nwaba
Osman/Korver/Dekker/Holland
Love/Nance/Preston
Thompson/Frye/Zizic
SUNDOWN BRINGS A WELCOME CHANGE TO EVERYTHING THAT'S HIDING
Dupp
RealGM
And1: 66,677

Post#3 » by Dupp » Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:11 am

I’d like sexton/Cedi/love and nance to be starting and be getting big minutes.

Nance needs to be a centre.
Flinttropics33
Ballboy

Post#4 » by Flinttropics33 » Fri Aug 24, 2018 2:40 pm

Haa hood signed yet?

Dupp
RealGM

Post#5 » by Dupp » Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:24 pm

Flinttropics33 wrote:Haa hood signed yet?

Hopefully we let him walk.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#6 » by Stillwater » Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:13 pm

Dupp wrote:

He will sign the QO and play his arse off all season trying to up his value in fa in 19.
The fo knows how to motivate players like Hood
cavs4872
Senior
And1: 242

Post#7 » by cavs4872 » Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:40 pm

Hood is the only free agent in the entire league who's decision I care about, and of course he's the last to make a decision; I think it could be very interesting to see him given a big opportunity, but I honestly think his career will be a Gerald Green-type one when it's all said and done.
Dupp
RealGM

Post#8 » by Dupp » Sun Aug 26, 2018 4:06 am

Stillwater wrote:
Dupp wrote:

He will sign the QO and play his arse off all season trying to up his value in fa in 19.

Thats fine i srill dont want him. Got no real upside for us besides maybe some decent play this coming season
EthanHarris
Ballboy
And1: 6

Post#9 » by EthanHarris » Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:50 am

Flinttropics33 wrote:Thompson / Zizic
Love / Nance Jr
Korver / Osman
Hill / Sexton
Smith / Hood

I think it makes sense.
This roster can get to the playoffs, but no way they will get to the finales again.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#10 » by Stillwater » Sun Aug 26, 2018 6:10 pm

Dupp wrote:
Stillwater wrote:
Dupp wrote:

Thats fine i srill dont want him. Got no real upside for us besides maybe some decent play this coming season

Yeah I hear you, if he isn't Utah Hood now that LBJ is gone, then he's gone anyway... but I am holding out that he plays better without LBJ in a more traditional offense. I do think how the Cavs are handling this situation is best for them , but of course if he really plays well in a contract year he might get offers in fa that this fo will want to match to retain him as well and which could be overpay.
12footrim
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,316

Post#11 » by 12footrim » Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:17 pm

I'm really considering keeping Zizic in my 20 team keeper league. 24 PER at 21 years old, I don't see that kind of upside at anyone I can keep in the 9th round. If he got around 15 minutes a game I would think it was worth it. How do you guys see the minutes playing out and have you heard anything. This is my guess.

Minutes

Love 31
Nance 24
Thompson 25
Zizic 14
2 minutes for small ball 4's for the total of 96.

That's 80 minutes of 96 total at PF and center. I think Zizic could get 13-15 pretty firmly and perhaps they go a couple minutes of small ball. The thing I'm banking on is some injuries, Love and Nance get hurt pretty often and Thompson broke down last year. Should open up some more as well but I think on a health team he still could slate in for 13 and that's enough for me to keep him as high per minute production as he probably can get.

I could also see Channing Frye take his minutes too.... :banghead:
Where I write

The Hoops Resource
Flinttropics33
Ballboy

Post#12 » by Flinttropics33 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 5:33 am

I am really interested to see what Hood and Hill do after a full off-season with the team.

Dupp
RealGM

Post#13 » by Dupp » Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:33 am

Flinttropics33 wrote:I am really interested to see what Hood and Hill do after a full off-season with the team.

I imagine Hill will be traded at some point. He could help a contender.
Flinttropics33
Ballboy

Post#14 » by Flinttropics33 » Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:46 pm

Dupp wrote:
Flinttropics33 wrote:I am really interested to see what Hood and Hill do after a full off-season with the team.

I imagine Hill will be traded at some point. He could help a contender.
As much as I would love to see his salary gone, we need a veteran pg to bring Sexton along.

tugs
RealGM
And1: 2,923

Post#15 » by tugs » Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:59 am

Clarkson is in an interesting situation. I've always thought he's a PG in the mold of Westbrook or Parker, needs the ball to effectively create for others, but was stunted due to sliding to the 2 spot.
Trailbreaker
Junior
And1: 115

Post#16 » by Trailbreaker » Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:18 pm

tugs wrote:Clarkson is in an interesting situation. I've always thought he's a PG in the mold of Westbrook or Parker, needs the ball to effectively create for others, but was stunted due to sliding to the 2 spot.

Yep, I think both Clarkson and Hood should get some better stats this year and be better contributors overall compared to last season when they got here at trade deadline.

I only got to see Clarkson a little bit on the Lakers, but was he a floor general there?
tugs
RealGM
And1: 2,923

Post#17 » by tugs » Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:21 am

Trailbreaker wrote:
tugs wrote:Clarkson is in an interesting situation. I've always thought he's a PG in the mold of Westbrook or Parker, needs the ball to effectively create for others, but was stunted due to sliding to the 2 spot.

Yep, I think both Clarkson and Hood should get some better stats this year and be better contributors overall compared to last season when they got here at trade deadline.

I only got to see Clarkson a little bit on the Lakers, but was he a floor general there?
For me his rookie season was an indication of his natural game: an attacking PG better utilized off pick and rolls.

Unfortunately for him though, after his rookie season he was shifted to the 2 spot in favor of D'Angelo Russell and when he was shipped, Lonzo Ball. He did increase his PPG and efficiency but did "forget how to pass". He became too eager to make moves and was always on 5th gear.

His last game for his National Team gave a glimpse of what he can do when he's under control. This could translate very well into the coming season:

Stillwater
RealGM

Post#18 » by Stillwater » Sat Sep 29, 2018 3:25 pm

The closer I look at the roster, I like our depth.
We have a ton of decent players on this roster and the pickups or Nwaba,Taylor,Simmons,Dekker and Frye will impact rotations.
I mean depth charts list the starting 5 as
Hill
Smith
Korver
Nance
Love
and I doubt that will be it at all and for the first part of the season it's more likely
Hill/Sexton splitting about equal minutes with Taylor and Simmons getting ltd. pt.
Smith/Clarkson splitting minutes w/ Nwaba/Osman splitting remaining minutes
Osman/Hood splitting minutes w/ Dekker/Korver splitting remaining minutes
Love/Nance 60/40 w/ Frye taking remaining minutes and maybe Dekker/Preston get some run here.
Thompson/ Zizic splitting minutes w/ Nance getting remaining minutes.
afarmenian
Analyst
And1: 3,504

Post#19 » by afarmenian » Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:15 pm

https://www.cleveland.com/cavs/index.ssf/2018/09/jr_smith_lashes_out_at_nba_for.html#incart_river_index

Looks like for starters it will be

TT or Nance based on matchup
Love (obviously)
Hood (Lue said earlier in the 2nd week he was probably 2nd option)
Smith and Hill.....because Lue is becoming Byron Scott all over again

So that leaves Sexton, Clarkson, KK, Cedi, Nance Jr/TT, Nwaba, Zizic, Dekker off the bench so it will be interesting to see who sits. If its Cedi Lue should be fired immediately. Clarkson and Sexton seem awfully redundant
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#20 » by Stillwater » Sat Sep 29, 2018 11:56 pm

afarmenian wrote:https://www.cleveland.com/cavs/index.ssf/2018/09/jr_smith_lashes_out_at_nba_for.html#incart_river_index

Looks like for starters it will be

TT or Nance based on matchup
Love (obviously)
Hood (Lue said earlier in the 2nd week he was probably 2nd option)
Smith and Hill.....because Lue is becoming Byron Scott all over again

So that leaves Sexton, Clarkson, KK, Cedi, Nance Jr/TT, Nwaba, Zizic, Dekker off the bench so it will be interesting to see who sits. If its Cedi Lue should be fired immediately. Clarkson and Sexton seem awfully redundant

I expect that won't last ( the Smith Hill back court) I think Lue is more about pushing younger players to earn the spots in actual games not just in practices etc and I would be shocked if Osman and Hood were not both in the sl by December. Sexton might take a little longer to earn that job from Hill esp given Hills high IQ, but the word I have gotten is Sexton is closer than anticipated already.
I think there is zero chance Osman doesn't at minimum get 15 minutes a game out of the gate.

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers