Update: Coach Lue Fired.

Moderator: ijspeelman

jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,141

Re: Update: Coach Lue Fired. 

Post#21 » by jbk1234 » Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:16 pm

Apparently, the Cavs felt as though Lue's reliance on vets was stunting development of younger guys. I could get on board with this until you get to Hill and Sexton. If what's being reported out is true, then I think Lue was right. Sexton doesn't not appear to me to be ready to start.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
Trailbreaker
Junior
And1: 115

Post#22 » by Trailbreaker » Mon Oct 29, 2018 2:19 am

Not terribly surprised by the firing. Feels like it had to do with how we got thumped rather than just the losses. Thank you Coach Lue for being there for our first championship.
Trailbreaker
Junior
And1: 115

Post#23 » by Trailbreaker » Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:49 pm

Is this a good place to talk about a new hire? I know I’m probably in the minority, but I’d like to consider Rick Pitino.
gflem
Analyst
And1: 276

Post#24 » by gflem » Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:33 pm

Trailbreaker wrote:Is this a good place to talk about a new hire? I know I’m probably in the minority, but I’d like to consider Rick Pitino.

Ya know, I was thinking that this is the type of hire that Dan would do. Not that I would, but Dan is Dan. He might even come on the cheap as he is damaged goods. Not sure he is an NBA coach though.
On another note it looks like Drew doesnt really want to play tank commander here. Altman and Dan look like a clown show at this point. I have spent a decent amount of time defending Dan on these boards as I think he really gets a bad rap, but I cant defend him on the optics of Larry Drew not being on board when they made the announcement. It just looks amateurish.
Truthful1
Ballboy
And1: 10

Post#25 » by Truthful1 » Thu Nov 1, 2018 2:39 am

Derrick Rose putting up 50 tonight and Ty Lue barely giving him any minutes last year, is just an example why Ty Lue was not a good coach. He played well for Minnesota in the playoffs last year. Cavs could have used him but they had a coach who didn't know how too so he was traded away.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Stillwater
RealGM
And1: 3,655

Post#26 » by Stillwater » Thu Nov 1, 2018 3:09 pm

Truthful1 wrote:Derrick Rose putting up 50 tonight and Ty Lue barely giving him any minutes last year, is just an example why Ty Lue was not a good coach. He played well for Minnesota in the playoffs last year. Cavs could have used him but they had a coach who didn't know how too so he was traded away.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums

Rose was a Phenom coming into the league and before the injury was on par to be one of the best to ever play... but despite the career high in points and highly impressive game against a solid defensive team in Utah , Rose remains completely unreliable and could never handle starter minutes consistently at this point. I don't think he was as healthy last season as he is now either so despite it not being unreasonable to think Lue could have gotten more out of him, there really isn't much imo suggesting any other coach would have done more with his usage in CLE either.
SUNDOWN BRINGS A WELCOME CHANGE TO EVERYTHING THAT'S HIDING
Stillwater
RealGM
And1: 3,655

Post#27 » by Stillwater » Fri Nov 2, 2018 7:58 pm

The email Lue sent to JB might have played a role in his getting fired when he did with Boylan now slapping Gilbert with a age discrimination lawsuit.
This org is really in turmoil now.https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/251561/Jim-Boylan-Files-Age-Discrimination-Suit-Against-Cavaliers
SUNDOWN BRINGS A WELCOME CHANGE TO EVERYTHING THAT'S HIDING

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers