ImageImageImage

Cavs Roster Next Year

Moderator: jbk1234

LivingLegend
Analyst
Posts: 3,705
And1: 4,532
Joined: Jul 30, 2015

Cavs Roster Next Year 

Post#1 » by LivingLegend » Tue Feb 26, 2019 1:29 am

What does the Cavs roster look like next year? Im saying this because the Cavs seem to have compiled a massive amount of capable players, young guys and role players 1-15 and I have no idea who they actually plan on being in their core moving forward.

PG- Sexton, Knight, Delly
SG- Clarkson, Nwaba
SF- Cedi, Stauskas
PF- Love, Nance, Chriss
C- Tristan, Zizic, Frye, Henson

Its such a hodge podge of talent that I have no idea how it fits or who they prioritize on bringing back. Unlike the first time around with LeBron leaving, the end of the bench is filled with talent and not G-League players receiving mins. Wonder what the next 3-4 year plan is with all of these guys.
Stillwater
RealGM
Posts: 10,097
And1: 2,565
Joined: Jun 15, 2017
   

Re: Cavs Roster Next Year 

Post#2 » by Stillwater » Tue Feb 26, 2019 3:44 am

Nance,Cedi,Sexton only core player locks imo .
Love obviously is a key piece to keep or if the return is legit ,part with.
I'd like to see Zizic,Chriss, Nwaba, Clarkson retained as well at least another season to see what we have.
I think TT,Delly,Knight,Frye,Stauskis etc are let go,bought out or traded before next year's deadline and are not core pieces. Maybe Delly stays as a fan fav but that's it.
Smith traded on draft night.
Have no idea plans for Henson,Deng and Blossomegame but Henson might be worth keeping if TT is traded.
water aint the mirror unless you steal it
2019 REALGM draft contest winner
LivingLegend
Analyst
Posts: 3,705
And1: 4,532
Joined: Jul 30, 2015

Re: Cavs Roster Next Year 

Post#3 » by LivingLegend » Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:20 pm

Stillwater wrote:Nance,Cedi,Sexton only core player locks imo .
Love obviously is a key piece to keep or if the return is legit ,part with.
I'd like to see Zizic,Chriss, Nwaba, Clarkson retained as well at least another season to see what we have.
I think TT,Delly,Knight,Frye,Stauskis etc are let go,bought out or traded before next year's deadline and are not core pieces. Maybe Delly stays as a fan fav but that's it.
Smith traded on draft night.
Have no idea plans for Henson,Deng and Blossomegame but Henson might be worth keeping if TT is traded.


Yeah, I think Delly stays as Sextons backup. Its crazy how much better the 'role' players especially Nance have played since Dellys return here. With the team being so young and fragile, having guys like Frye, Love and Delly there for their leadership and to keep things on track is massive.

I also think Clarkson should be a mainstay and basically replicate his career after Jammal Crawford or Lou Williams. His ability to come in and rattle off 6,9,10 points in a row is huge as well.

Considering Nwaba is the only wing player we have that is known for defense its going to be hard not to bring him back.

I just find it fascinating how they are going to navigate all of this as each player you have a case for staying.
Stillwater
RealGM
Posts: 10,097
And1: 2,565
Joined: Jun 15, 2017
   

Re: Cavs Roster Next Year 

Post#4 » by Stillwater » Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:41 am

LivingLegend wrote:
Stillwater wrote:Nance,Cedi,Sexton only core player locks imo .
Love obviously is a key piece to keep or if the return is legit ,part with.
I'd like to see Zizic,Chriss, Nwaba, Clarkson retained as well at least another season to see what we have.
I think TT,Delly,Knight,Frye,Stauskis etc are let go,bought out or traded before next year's deadline and are not core pieces. Maybe Delly stays as a fan fav but that's it.
Smith traded on draft night.
Have no idea plans for Henson,Deng and Blossomegame but Henson might be worth keeping if TT is traded.


Yeah, I think Delly stays as Sextons backup. Its crazy how much better the 'role' players especially Nance have played since Dellys return here. With the team being so young and fragile, having guys like Frye, Love and Delly there for their leadership and to keep things on track is massive.

I also think Clarkson should be a mainstay and basically replicate his career after Jammal Crawford or Lou Williams. His ability to come in and rattle off 6,9,10 points in a row is huge as well.

Considering Nwaba is the only wing player we have that is known for defense its going to be hard not to bring him back.

I just find it fascinating how they are going to navigate all of this as each player you have a case for staying.

Personally think PHO and definitely Houston messed up trading Chriss who has shown much more in his short time in CLE than he ever did elsewhere. Maybe it's just the contract year thing, but he seems to have turned it up enough where having the veterans around him albeit a small number, are helping. I would think the Cavs will definitely be interested in keeping him and should not low ball him,as I think he could become a key player for them long term.
water aint the mirror unless you steal it
2019 REALGM draft contest winner
jbk1234
Forum Mod - Cavs
Forum Mod - Cavs
Posts: 36,864
And1: 21,161
Joined: Dec 22, 2010
   

Re: Cavs Roster Next Year 

Post#5 » by jbk1234 » Wed Feb 27, 2019 2:40 am

Stillwater wrote:
LivingLegend wrote:
Stillwater wrote:Nance,Cedi,Sexton only core player locks imo .
Love obviously is a key piece to keep or if the return is legit ,part with.
I'd like to see Zizic,Chriss, Nwaba, Clarkson retained as well at least another season to see what we have.
I think TT,Delly,Knight,Frye,Stauskis etc are let go,bought out or traded before next year's deadline and are not core pieces. Maybe Delly stays as a fan fav but that's it.
Smith traded on draft night.
Have no idea plans for Henson,Deng and Blossomegame but Henson might be worth keeping if TT is traded.


Yeah, I think Delly stays as Sextons backup. Its crazy how much better the 'role' players especially Nance have played since Dellys return here. With the team being so young and fragile, having guys like Frye, Love and Delly there for their leadership and to keep things on track is massive.

I also think Clarkson should be a mainstay and basically replicate his career after Jammal Crawford or Lou Williams. His ability to come in and rattle off 6,9,10 points in a row is huge as well.

Considering Nwaba is the only wing player we have that is known for defense its going to be hard not to bring him back.

I just find it fascinating how they are going to navigate all of this as each player you have a case for staying.

Personally think PHO and definitely Houston messed up trading Chriss who has shown much more in his short time in CLE than he ever did elsewhere. Maybe it's just the contract year thing, but he seems to have turned it up enough where having the veterans around him albeit a small number, are helping. I would think the Cavs will definitely be interested in keeping him and should not low ball him,as I think he could become a key player for them long term.
He's a bad rebounder and a below average defender. He runs the floor well and has a decent offensive game. He's a backup PF.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using RealGM mobile app
It is highly unlikely that the Cavs will agree with your Kevin Love evaluation for the purpose of a trade.
LivingLegend
Analyst
Posts: 3,705
And1: 4,532
Joined: Jul 30, 2015

Re: Cavs Roster Next Year 

Post#6 » by LivingLegend » Wed Feb 27, 2019 3:31 am

Stillwater wrote:
LivingLegend wrote:
Stillwater wrote:Nance,Cedi,Sexton only core player locks imo .
Love obviously is a key piece to keep or if the return is legit ,part with.
I'd like to see Zizic,Chriss, Nwaba, Clarkson retained as well at least another season to see what we have.
I think TT,Delly,Knight,Frye,Stauskis etc are let go,bought out or traded before next year's deadline and are not core pieces. Maybe Delly stays as a fan fav but that's it.
Smith traded on draft night.
Have no idea plans for Henson,Deng and Blossomegame but Henson might be worth keeping if TT is traded.


Yeah, I think Delly stays as Sextons backup. Its crazy how much better the 'role' players especially Nance have played since Dellys return here. With the team being so young and fragile, having guys like Frye, Love and Delly there for their leadership and to keep things on track is massive.

I also think Clarkson should be a mainstay and basically replicate his career after Jammal Crawford or Lou Williams. His ability to come in and rattle off 6,9,10 points in a row is huge as well.

Considering Nwaba is the only wing player we have that is known for defense its going to be hard not to bring him back.

I just find it fascinating how they are going to navigate all of this as each player you have a case for staying.

Personally think PHO and definitely Houston messed up trading Chriss who has shown much more in his short time in CLE than he ever did elsewhere. Maybe it's just the contract year thing, but he seems to have turned it up enough where having the veterans around him albeit a small number, are helping. I would think the Cavs will definitely be interested in keeping him and should not low ball him,as I think he could become a key player for them long term.


Right, crazy thought but what are the odds since the Cavs are in 'rebuilding mode' that they make Chriss (as long as he progresses) a piece long term enevidebly making Tristan trade bait for another youth movement package or picks.

Tristans contract comes off the books next year, making him a pretty huge trade deadline guy with his expiring contract next year for a contender. I think that possibility alone is worth bringing Henson/Chriss both back for.
Stillwater
RealGM
Posts: 10,097
And1: 2,565
Joined: Jun 15, 2017
   

Re: Cavs Roster Next Year 

Post#7 » by Stillwater » Wed Feb 27, 2019 3:36 am

jbk1234 wrote:
Stillwater wrote:
LivingLegend wrote:
Yeah, I think Delly stays as Sextons backup. Its crazy how much better the 'role' players especially Nance have played since Dellys return here. With the team being so young and fragile, having guys like Frye, Love and Delly there for their leadership and to keep things on track is massive.

I also think Clarkson should be a mainstay and basically replicate his career after Jammal Crawford or Lou Williams. His ability to come in and rattle off 6,9,10 points in a row is huge as well.

Considering Nwaba is the only wing player we have that is known for defense its going to be hard not to bring him back.

I just find it fascinating how they are going to navigate all of this as each player you have a case for staying.

Personally think PHO and definitely Houston messed up trading Chriss who has shown much more in his short time in CLE than he ever did elsewhere. Maybe it's just the contract year thing, but he seems to have turned it up enough where having the veterans around him albeit a small number, are helping. I would think the Cavs will definitely be interested in keeping him and should not low ball him,as I think he could become a key player for them long term.
He's a bad rebounder and a below average defender. He runs the floor well and has a decent offensive game. He's a backup PF.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using RealGM mobile app

Yep he's a back up as is, but his athleticism effects plays defensively /some ability to stretch the floor / speed to score easily in transition etc are good starting points. I think coaching him up will fix the over committing he is doing on defense leading to fouls etc, gets called for a lot of cheap ones. being more consistent shooting , and giving him the freedom to attack the rim,along with coaching up better positioning for rebounding are all things he can easily do in time. I don't expect any of the players the Cavs pick up in fa/trades or the draft to have great skill sets out of the gate. I thought Chriss was just a bust before he came here, but clearly he has the elite athletic ability to become something special still, and they should make that happen since nobody else had the patience.
water aint the mirror unless you steal it
2019 REALGM draft contest winner
Revenged25
Rookie
Posts: 1,219
And1: 358
Joined: Jun 05, 2018
   

Re: Cavs Roster Next Year 

Post#8 » by Revenged25 » Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:08 pm

LivingLegend wrote:
Stillwater wrote:
LivingLegend wrote:
Yeah, I think Delly stays as Sextons backup. Its crazy how much better the 'role' players especially Nance have played since Dellys return here. With the team being so young and fragile, having guys like Frye, Love and Delly there for their leadership and to keep things on track is massive.

I also think Clarkson should be a mainstay and basically replicate his career after Jammal Crawford or Lou Williams. His ability to come in and rattle off 6,9,10 points in a row is huge as well.

Considering Nwaba is the only wing player we have that is known for defense its going to be hard not to bring him back.

I just find it fascinating how they are going to navigate all of this as each player you have a case for staying.

Personally think PHO and definitely Houston messed up trading Chriss who has shown much more in his short time in CLE than he ever did elsewhere. Maybe it's just the contract year thing, but he seems to have turned it up enough where having the veterans around him albeit a small number, are helping. I would think the Cavs will definitely be interested in keeping him and should not low ball him,as I think he could become a key player for them long term.


Right, crazy thought but what are the odds since the Cavs are in 'rebuilding mode' that they make Chriss (as long as he progresses) a piece long term enevidebly making Tristan trade bait for another youth movement package or picks.

Tristans contract comes off the books next year, making him a pretty huge trade deadline guy with his expiring contract next year for a contender. I think that possibility alone is worth bringing Henson/Chriss both back for.


That's not actually a crazy thought. If not for the slew of S Tier Free Agents hitting the market this offseason I would've expected TT to be gone at this deadline to a contending team looking to make a push. If TT is healthy, he'll be gone by the trade deadline at the latest as he'll be piece that can help a team make a push to the finals, especially if/when one or more players from the Warriors leave as his rebounding and defense would be a great asset to those teams.
Stillwater
RealGM
Posts: 10,097
And1: 2,565
Joined: Jun 15, 2017
   

Re: Cavs Roster Next Year 

Post#9 » by Stillwater » Thu Feb 28, 2019 5:58 pm

If the Cavs can take a guaranteed 1st deal from somebody ( late first pick) for sending Smith to be waived by recipient for his partial and eating a longer full Smith salary level deal to do it, I think they will, I think that's the goal anyway.
I think contending teams looking for a little extra cap savings by removing a bad contract will be interested given the weakness of high ceiling prospects that late in the first this year, and those same teams would be more interested in negotiating non guaranteed 2nds and wanting to retain or acquire those types of assets instead of guaranteed late 1sts for similar level prospects as high 2nds.
But, Cavs could possibly only get a couple of mid 2nds for Smiths deal as opposed to nothing and hope a couple proven upperclassman role players slip to them... idk though if they would want to do the latter/ depends on who's deal they would have to absorb for those picks which typically won't be bringing in anyone great. Might come down to a future first with heavy protections or something.
water aint the mirror unless you steal it
2019 REALGM draft contest winner

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers