ImageImageImage

Stillwater's monster draft thread (consolidated)

Moderator: ijspeelman

Since these threads have been combined who you got at 5

Culver
43%
Sekou
4%
Hunter
14%
Hayes
4%
Porter K
7%
Garland
7%
Bitdatze
4%
White
No votes
Bol
7%
other
11%

Total votes: 28

tugs
RealGM
And1: 2,925

Re: Stillwater's monster draft thread (consolidated) 

Post#201 » by tugs » Thu May 16, 2019 2:51 am

Curious which position do you think Cavs are lacking. You think 1, 2, and 4 spots are already set? I'm also hoping for a leap with Zizic and Henson.
tundraknight
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,915

Post#202 » by tundraknight » Thu May 16, 2019 2:56 am

I noticed both Bulls and Suns fans are really hoping Darius Garland is still available when they pick at 6th and 7th.

Which is understandable since both teams are in need of a PG and will probably be choosing between Darius Garland and Coby White.

But it got me thinking if the Cavaliers should consider Garland? Or “because we have Sexton” he’ll probably be passed on/an afterthought?

I seen so many different comparisons for Garland like lillard, Irving, Young, Kemba etc.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,127

Post#203 » by jbk1234 » Thu May 16, 2019 3:13 am

tugs wrote:Curious which position do you think Cavs are lacking. You think 1, 2, and 4 spots are already set? I'm also hoping for a leap with Zizic and Henson.
Center is really the only position we're set at IMO. Nance, TT, Love in a small ball rotation, Henson, and Zizic.

Sexton still has to develop if he wants be a good starting PG v. a good sixth man.

Cedi can play 2 or 3, but you need a 20 point scorer playing next to him in order to have a balanced starting unit.

Love is fine now, but he's too old to be the PF of the future.

In sum, the Cavs should take BPA at No. 5. They're pretty far from set at any position.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using RealGM mobile app
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#204 » by jbk1234 » Thu May 16, 2019 3:16 am

tundraknight wrote:I noticed both Bulls and Suns fans are really hoping Darius Garland is still available when they pick at 6th and 7th.

Which is understandable since both teams are in need of a PG and will probably be choosing between Darius Garland and Coby White.

But it got me thinking if the Cavaliers should consider Garland? Or “because we have Sexton” he’ll probably be passed on/an afterthought?

I seen so many different comparisons for Garland like lillard, Irving, Young, Kemba etc.
Hopefully the Bulls feel like they have to jump the Suns and pick up the phone.

cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
tugs
RealGM
And1: 2,925

Post#205 » by tugs » Thu May 16, 2019 3:28 am

jbk1234 wrote:
tugs wrote:Curious which position do you think Cavs are lacking. You think 1, 2, and 4 spots are already set? I'm also hoping for a leap with Zizic and Henson.
Center is really the only position we're set at IMO. Nance, TT, Love in a small ball rotation, Henson, and Zizic.

Sexton still has to develop if he wants be a good starting PG v. a good sixth man.

Cedi can play 2 or 3, but you need a 20 point scorer playing next to him in order to have a balanced starting unit.

In sum, the Cavs should take BPA at No. 5. They're pretty far from set at any position.

How do you think Clarkson fits in this? Can he be that starting 20 PPG scorer next to Cedi and shift Sexton as 6th man? I mean any of the guards are more combo types and not really pass firsts (unless we consider Delly to shoulder more PG responsibilities next season), and we already got the playmaking covered with Nance and Love. Clarkson can be in that Westbrook mold but he's better off scoring than doing everything.

I would've preferred a floor general with shooting but I think that's already Sexton if he was passing more.
Stillwater
RealGM
And1: 3,655

Post#206 » by Stillwater » Thu May 16, 2019 4:34 am

^Orgs who pick for need over bpa rarely ever get the better player... i would not be concerned with it. i mean if garland is at the top of their board with noone else close you take him.
in this situation though there are many similar ceiling prospects mostly wings or bigs and so unfortunately fit could cause them to pick the wrong prospect. i would take sekou if i was patient and legitimately planned on a full rebuild because his ceiling is Siakim and if considering moving Love this summer or at the deadline he will get tons of pt. On the other hand the most skilled w/ highest ceiling available is Kevin Porter
along with Bol but those 2 have character or injury concerns of significance.
SUNDOWN BRINGS A WELCOME CHANGE TO EVERYTHING THAT'S HIDING
Axolotl
Starter
And1: 2,201

Post#207 » by Axolotl » Thu May 16, 2019 11:31 am

Greetings from the Bulls board.

I see the idea has already been brought up here, but I was wondering what you think it would take for the Cavs to swap picks with the Bulls? If the Cavs are happy with Sexton, why not get the guy they like at #7 while also getting something else?

I have no actual proposition to make, just testing the waters really. I think there are only four players the Bulls wouldn't consider trading: Markkanen, LaVine, Porter and Carter. 2nd round pick(s) would also be in play, I'd imagine.
From the basketball's perspective, travel is a nice pause from being pounded to the floor.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#208 » by jbk1234 » Thu May 16, 2019 1:39 pm

tugs wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:

How do you think Clarkson fits in this? Can he be that starting 20 PPG scorer next to Cedi and shift Sexton as 6th man? I mean any of the guards are more combo types and not really pass firsts (unless we consider Delly to shoulder more PG responsibilities next season), and we already got the playmaking covered with Nance and Love. Clarkson can be in that Westbrook mold but he's better off scoring than doing everything.

I would've preferred a floor general with shooting but I think that's already Sexton if he was passing more.

I think Clarkson is a sixth man period. He and Sexton in the same back court would be bad. Neither is a good defender and both are ball dominant. It would be the poor man's version of Kyrie v. Waiters while they each play *mine* with the basketball.

I think a Love/Nance front court is probably the best passing front court in the NBA. But they have to get the ball to initiate the offense. We'll see how everyone fairs under the new coach but we don't have anyone on the roster who is talented enough right now that we should pass on PBA. Center is really the only position where I'd prefer not to draft anyone that high, at least this year.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
substancej
Junior
And1: 490

Post#209 » by substancej » Thu May 16, 2019 2:14 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
tugs wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:Center is really the only position we're set at IMO. Nance, TT, Love in a small ball rotation, Henson, and Zizic.

I think Clarkson is a sixth man period. He and Sexton in the same back court would be bad. Neither is a good defender and both are ball dominant. It would be the poor man's version of Kyrie v. Waiters while they each play *mine* with the basketball.

I think a Love/Nance front court is probably the best passing front court in the NBA. But they have to get the ball to initiate the offense. We'll see how everyone fairs under the new coach but we don't have anyone on the roster who is talented enough right now that we should pass on PBA. Center is really the only position where I'd prefer not to draft anyone that high, at least this year.

In my opinion, every starting role is up for grabs on the Cavs with Beilein coaching. We could very well see Clarkson starting at PG if Beilein can control his tunnel vision, and I think his ceiling is a little bit higher than Sexton's.
Kevin Love finna get traded
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#210 » by jbk1234 » Thu May 16, 2019 2:16 pm

substancej wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:
tugs wrote:How do you think Clarkson fits in this? Can he be that starting 20 PPG scorer next to Cedi and shift Sexton as 6th man? I mean any of the guards are more combo types and not really pass firsts (unless we consider Delly to shoulder more PG responsibilities next season), and we already got the playmaking covered with Nance and Love. Clarkson can be in that Westbrook mold but he's better off scoring than doing everything.

In my opinion, every starting role is up for grabs on the Cavs with Beilein coaching. We could very well see Clarkson starting at PG if Beilein can control his tunnel vision, and I think his ceiling is a little bit higher than Sexton's.

I think Clarkson is at his ceiling. He's been in the league for six years. I'm concerned that Sexton's ceiling is Clarkson, but he's only 20 and at least showed improvement over the course of his first season.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
substancej
Junior

Post#211 » by substancej » Thu May 16, 2019 2:24 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
substancej wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:

I think Clarkson is at his ceiling. He's been in the league for six years. I'm concerned that Sexton's ceiling is Clarkson, but he's only 20 and at least showed improvement over the course of his first season.

Yeah, that's possible. He hasn't really shown otherwise, spare 1 or 2 games in the last couple of years. Sexton has improved a lot without a doubt, but I think physical limitations are hindering his game. He's really undersized for his skill set.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#212 » by Stillwater » Thu May 16, 2019 9:34 pm

I am starting to think that workouts where he is hitting shots fluidly are going to elevate Nas Little back into the 5-10 range as some of the stuff coming out of the combine are confirming how much playing out of position and without the ball killed his stock. He measures out and tests out as an elite development prospect.
That being said I was impressed with Kevin Porters interview and he owned his need to change his mentality which is huge for me given it was really his only downfall as a prospect.
I think both of these 2 are definitely in the mix for CLE at 5
gflem
Analyst
And1: 276

Post#213 » by gflem » Thu May 16, 2019 10:15 pm

I am in favor of Hunter or Culver at 5, or 6 or 7, if a deal is made. I think Culver has a higher upside, but not by much, and with both guys there isnt any concern about attitude or maturity as with Porter. If we want a project, we can get that at 26. I dont know much about Garland other than what is written, but it was the same with Kryrie so it is possible he is the best pro player picked after the top 2 or 3 players picked.
I am not sold on Cedi being a core player either, so either Hunter or Culver, who I think are going to be at least quality starting level NBA players with the possibility of being All Star players, would be solid choices and fill a glaring need for this team.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#214 » by Stillwater » Thu May 16, 2019 10:45 pm

gflem wrote:I am in favor of Hunter or Culver at 5, or 6 or 7, if a deal is made. I think Culver has a higher upside, but not by much, and with both guys there isnt any concern about attitude or maturity as with Porter. If we want a project, we can get that at 26. I dont know much about Garland other than what is written, but it was the same with Kryrie so it is possible he is the best pro player picked after the top 2 or 3 players picked.
I am not sold on Cedi being a core player either, so either Hunter or Culver, who I think are going to be at least quality starting level NBA players with the possibility of being All Star players, would be solid choices and fill a glaring need for this team.

Thats just it though...Porter is not a project at all, he is arguably the most dynamic iso player in this draft with good size and explosiveness, that has a much much higher ceiing than Culver at the same position. His maturity certainly could be a red flag to pass on him, but the interview process at the combine if his interview with the announcers is any indication where he owned his mentality issues proves he is mature enough to get focussed and should not be a concern nearly as much as if he didn't own it.
Garland is an elite shooter, and there is an argument that he is just as good a prospect as Ja, but he clearly lack explosiveness and length so it would also come as no surprise he might have some struggles as he is not the same level of ballhandler as Irving for example.
For a project at 26 you look at Claxton as a potential elite defender down the road
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#215 » by Stillwater » Fri May 17, 2019 1:44 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
substancej wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:

JC had such a great season as the 6th man he will never do anything else as it definitely legitimized how underrated he was. People still acting like he is not worth his contract are going on ole news.
Sexton can play off ball better than most expected, but he is the pg going forward unless he doesnt improve his ability to get the ball to his teammates where they can maximize their skills.
this draft is crucial to his development along with Loves health as he really didnt have much to work with as a rookie yet clearly made due by inproving his outside shot etc.
I mean if they had a shot at Ja you take him and let that motivate Sexton to be even better, but seems barring some unlikely trade down by Memphis that ship has sailed.
After seeing some of the combine info and really buying that Nas Little is the ultimate self sacrificing good soldier who shoots much better than his college numbers would suggest along with the jalen brown comps I think its a very good possibility he is moving up the Cavs board.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#216 » by jbk1234 » Fri May 17, 2019 4:35 pm

Stillwater wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:
substancej wrote:In my opinion, every starting role is up for grabs on the Cavs with Beilein coaching. We could very well see Clarkson starting at PG if Beilein can control his tunnel vision, and I think his ceiling is a little bit higher than Sexton's.

JC had such a great season as the 6th man he will never do anything else as it definitely legitimized how underrated he was. People still acting like he is not worth his contract are going on ole news.
Sexton can play off ball better than most expected, but he is the pg going forward unless he doesnt improve his ability to get the ball to his teammates where they can maximize their skills.
this draft is crucial to his development along with Loves health as he really didnt have much to work with as a rookie yet clearly made due by inproving his outside shot etc.
I mean if they had a shot at Ja you take him and let that motivate Sexton to be even better, but seems barring some unlikely trade down by Memphis that ship has sailed.
After seeing some of the combine info and really buying that Nas Little is the ultimate self sacrificing good soldier who shoots much better than his college numbers would suggest along with the jalen brown comps I think its a very good possibility he is moving up the Cavs board.

Ja won't get past No. 4. Either N.O. or the Wizards call the Knicks/Lakers and get talks started on a Beal or AD trade if Ja somehow gets past Memphis.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#217 » by Stillwater » Fri May 17, 2019 5:50 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
Stillwater wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:

Ja won't get past No. 4. Either N.O. or the Wizards call the Knicks/Lakers and get talks started on a Beal or AD trade if Ja somehow gets past Memphis.

Yeah I know, I was referring to the possibility of Memphis trading down which although possible seems pretty unlikely. But they are such a small market and really need more than 1 player more likely another vet ,always looking to compete despite having similar injury set back seasons as the Cavs did last year. I actually think they will just take Ja and move on from Conley but it also would not surprise me if they would trade down 3 spots if Cavs offered Love for #2 by dumping a yr of Parsons,where they target Garland,Reddish,White etc at 5 esp if Conley willing to come back on short cheaper deals given his injury issues going forward . Would the Cavs even do it? Maybe if they want to go full rebuild and get the best guard in the draft.
substancej
Junior

Cavs Rumors: Bol Bol, Kevin Porter Jr. Among Targets at No. 5 in 2019 NBA Draft 

Post#218 » by substancej » Sat May 18, 2019 1:48 pm

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2836802-cavs-rumors-bol-bol-kevin-porter-jr-among-targets-at-no-5-in-2019-nba-draft

Thoughts? I know around 1 year ago, people thought KPJ would be in the top 5, and Reddish was touted as ~3rd best... but Bol Bol has always been written off as a liability and not exceptional. I noticed Reddish said he was meeting with the Cavs but no one has reported this.
gflem
Analyst

Post#219 » by gflem » Sat May 18, 2019 4:41 pm

Stillwater wrote:
gflem wrote:I am in favor of Hunter or Culver at 5, or 6 or 7, if a deal is made. I think Culver has a higher upside, but not by much, and with both guys there isnt any concern about attitude or maturity as with Porter. If we want a project, we can get that at 26. I dont know much about Garland other than what is written, but it was the same with Kryrie so it is possible he is the best pro player picked after the top 2 or 3 players picked.

Thats just it though...Porter is not a project at all, he is arguably the most dynamic iso player in this draft with good size and explosiveness, that has a much much higher ceiing than Culver at the same position. His maturity certainly could be a red flag to pass on him, but the interview process at the combine if his interview with the announcers is any indication where he owned his mentality issues proves he is mature enough to get focussed and should not be a concern nearly as much as if he didn't own it.
Garland is an elite shooter, and there is an argument that he is just as good a prospect as Ja, but he clearly lack explosiveness and length so it would also come as no surprise he might have some struggles as he is not the same level of ballhandler as Irving for example.
For a project at 26 you look at Claxton as a potential elite defender down the road

Yeah, I wasn't really referring to Porter as a project but the way I wrote that does make it seem that way. But I do think some of the things you hold against Reddish are also questions about Porter in regards to him not raising his team to even a tournament level team. I wonder if that brings to question his competitiveness and or leadership ability, things I would certainly look for in a top 5 pick.
gflem
Analyst

Re: Cavs Rumors: Bol Bol, Kevin Porter Jr. Among Targets at No. 5 in 2019 NBA Draft 

Post#220 » by gflem » Sat May 18, 2019 4:51 pm

substancej wrote:https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2836802-cavs-rumors-bol-bol-kevin-porter-jr-among-targets-at-no-5-in-2019-nba-draft

Thoughts? I know around 1 year ago, people thought KPJ would be in the top 5, and Reddish was touted as ~3rd best... but Bol Bol has always been written off as a liability and not exceptional. I noticed Reddish said he was meeting with the Cavs but no one has reported this.

The team hasn't reported it as far as I know, but Hoopshype had something on Reddish working out for the Cavs. Bol, to me is a risk with his slight frame and foot injury but he could really become a good rim protector. I'm not really high on Porter due to maturity questions.
If we can move the JR contract to get into the late lottery somehow I would be ok with Bol being picked if he were there in that scenario.

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers