ImageImageImage

Stillwater's monster draft thread (consolidated)

Moderator: ijspeelman

Since these threads have been combined who you got at 5

Culver
43%
Sekou
4%
Hunter
14%
Hayes
4%
Porter K
7%
Garland
7%
Bitdatze
4%
White
No votes
Bol
7%
other
11%

Total votes: 28

Stillwater
RealGM
And1: 3,655

Re: Stillwater's monster draft thread (consolidated) 

Post#221 » by Stillwater » Sat May 18, 2019 8:43 pm

gflem wrote:
Stillwater wrote:
gflem wrote:I am in favor of Hunter or Culver at 5, or 6 or 7, if a deal is made. I think Culver has a higher upside, but not by much, and with both guys there isnt any concern about attitude or maturity as with Porter. If we want a project, we can get that at 26. I dont know much about Garland other than what is written, but it was the same with Kryrie so it is possible he is the best pro player picked after the top 2 or 3 players picked.
I am not sold on Cedi being a core player either, so either Hunter or Culver, who I think are going to be at least quality starting level NBA players with the possibility of being All Star players, would be solid choices and fill a glaring need for this team.

Thats just it though...Porter is not a project at all, he is arguably the most dynamic iso player in this draft with good size and explosiveness, that has a much much higher ceiing than Culver at the same position. His maturity certainly could be a red flag to pass on him, but the interview process at the combine if his interview with the announcers is any indication where he owned his mentality issues proves he is mature enough to get focussed and should not be a concern nearly as much as if he didn't own it.
Garland is an elite shooter, and there is an argument that he is just as good a prospect as Ja, but he clearly lack explosiveness and length so it would also come as no surprise he might have some struggles as he is not the same level of ballhandler as Irving for example.
For a project at 26 you look at Claxton as a potential elite defender down the road

Yeah, I wasn't really referring to Porter as a project but the way I wrote that does make it seem that way. But I do think some of the things you hold against Reddish are also questions about Porter in regards to him not raising his team to even a tournament level team. I wonder if that brings to question his competitiveness and or leadership ability, things I would certainly look for in a top 5 pick.

Not really at all a similarity between Cam Reddish and Kevin Porter as far as mental issues. Porter had a nagging thigh injury he tried to play through after missing seven games , Reddish missed a tournament game because his tummy hurt.

The issues with Porter were immaturity meaning off court trouble but not to the extent of law breaking his on court style is almost the opposite of Reddish where Porter is aggressive dynamic and an elite finish through contact prospect with decent explosiveness.

Porter to me looks like he will be a better version of Jimmy Butler if he reaches his ceiling.

Reddish could be an option if they trade down, but I can't see him being at the top of anyone's board in the top 7.
SUNDOWN BRINGS A WELCOME CHANGE TO EVERYTHING THAT'S HIDING
Stillwater
RealGM

Re: Cavs Rumors: Bol Bol, Kevin Porter Jr. Among Targets at No. 5 in 2019 NBA Draft 

Post#222 » by Stillwater » Sat May 18, 2019 8:50 pm

those 2 are higher on teams boards that sit behind CLE in the draft order so it could be positioning for trading down, but it also would not be at all unreasonable for either to go 5th regardless of different concerns with health or focus as both possess very high ceilings and both are arguably the top iso scorers that will be available. Bols ability to break down a defender with his dribble is ridiculously underrated given his length, and Porters thigh injury that is healed now but nagged him all season is not to be ignored when you look at the raw athleticism paired with elite ball skills for a wing.
Stillwater
RealGM

Re: Cavs Rumors: Bol Bol, Kevin Porter Jr. Among Targets at No. 5 in 2019 NBA Draft 

Post#223 » by Stillwater » Sat May 18, 2019 9:20 pm

Also do not discount the option of Sekou who just had a breakout performance at the perfect time for his draft stock:[tweet][
Read on Twitter
?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw/tweet]
Worst_to_First
RealGM
And1: 8,341

Post#224 » by Worst_to_First » Sat May 18, 2019 10:26 pm

Read on Twitter

Have you guys heard anything about this?

I think RJ can challenge Zion for ROY if he ends up with the Cavs. Fits well with Sexton as well.

Don’t know if we could work out a trade though or you guys with the Grizzlies.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#225 » by Stillwater » Sat May 18, 2019 10:34 pm

Worst_to_First wrote:
Read on Twitter

I think RJ can challenge Zion for ROY if he ends up with the Cavs. Fits well with Sexton as well.

really wanting him and getting him are entirely different, and few options to do so.
Mind_Odyssey
Analyst
And1: 4,957

Post#226 » by Mind_Odyssey » Sun May 19, 2019 1:30 am

Teams are going smaller and we want a 7’2 guy with health problems.

The Cavs suck ass at drafting unless it’s the #1 pick.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#227 » by Stillwater » Sun May 19, 2019 2:08 am

Mind_Odyssey wrote:Teams are going smaller and we want a 7’2 guy with health problems.

The Cavs suck ass at drafting unless it’s the #1 pick.

First off let me address the comment about Bol; he is not worth the pick at 5 if he doesn't have clean medicals, and they would not take him there if there is any concern going forward, but there is no question his skillset for a big is off the charts.
I guess you are not a Sexton fan? Best prospect available when they picked him? longterm it sure looks like it.
So I disagree with people who think 1 yr in is a measure of how well they pick under this current front office regarding Sexton.
Suggesting "they suck" when "they" are not the same "they" that picked players that dissapointed is poor understanding of the situation and process.
I have no idea what they are looking at really and these reports are not coming out of the Cavs org unless it's positioning to trade down. Noone shows their hand at pick 5.
substancej
Junior
And1: 490

Post#228 » by substancej » Sun May 19, 2019 3:54 am

Worst_to_First wrote:
Read on Twitter

I don't think the Cavs have anything worth trading to the Knicks or the Grizzlies. Knicks have better options at center than we could offer. It'll be hard for any team to get the Grizzlies to part with pick #2 / Morant, let alone the Cavs.
Kevin Love finna get traded
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#229 » by Stillwater » Sun May 19, 2019 12:07 pm

I think they will target Bradzekis at 31 if the Cavs can get the pick along with other assets in a Smith Crabbe swap. the Coach and familiarity ties should not be discounted as influences.
Revenged25
Analyst
And1: 1,002

Post#230 » by Revenged25 » Sun May 19, 2019 5:53 pm

substancej wrote:
Worst_to_First wrote:
Read on Twitter

I don't think the Cavs have anything worth trading to the Knicks or the Grizzlies. Knicks have better options at center than we could offer. It'll be hard for any team to get the Grizzlies to part with pick #2 / Morant, let alone the Cavs.

Maybe the Cavs try and get into a 3 team deal with the Knicks and Pelicans? Cavs get #3 for RJ, Pelicans get #5 + some extra cap relief with us sending them JR for one of their contracts?
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#231 » by Stillwater » Sun May 19, 2019 9:54 pm

In this scenario You will notice NY trades 3rd for AD and they want Garland over RJ. who goes 4th to LAL.
Cavs take Hunter at 5 but they take him for ATL who trades 8 & 10 and 35 to move up 3 spots for their top target. Cavs get Culver and Doumbouya , then pick up Claxton at 26 and Brazdeikis at 35. If the Cavs can get out of their 1st obligation in 2020 to ATL by trading down to 8 & 10 they would probably have to give up the 26th not get the 35th, but I think their interest in letting it play out in this scenario is more likely.
I did not account for potential Smith deals in the one and figure if they did this deal with ATL CLE would want future assets for Smith instead of more rooks. 4 is already a ton.

Note I have several frosh that are projected in the first slipping to the 2nd as there is a pretty good chance they return to school or if they stay slide some due to numerous upperclassman moving up. (Johnson Herro Grimes Dort Hoard Reid etc.)
I also have Grant WIlliams sliding some, but in retrospect think it's doubtful.
I also have Bol freefalling on this one after potential foot concerns which might also be unlikely given his upside.

https://basketball.realgm.com/nba/draft/draft_simulator/view/590255/
gflem
Analyst
And1: 276

Post#232 » by gflem » Mon May 20, 2019 12:06 am

Revenged25 wrote:
substancej wrote:
Worst_to_First wrote:
Read on Twitter

Maybe the Cavs try and get into a 3 team deal with the Knicks and Pelicans? Cavs get #3 for RJ, Pelicans get #5 + some extra cap relief with us sending them JR for one of their contracts?

That would be a way without being too expensive in terms of what the team would have to give up. The way the top 4 picks ended up sure leaves lots of options for deals.
tundraknight
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,915

Post#233 » by tundraknight » Mon May 20, 2019 12:38 am

Is it cool if we merge this thread with Stillwater’s monster draft thread?

Since we’ve basically been talking about everything Draft related in that one all year.
tundraknight
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,915

Post#234 » by tundraknight » Mon May 20, 2019 12:55 am

https://www.fearthesword.com/2019/5/17/18625166/cavaliers-2019-nba-draft-trades

I know JRs contract has been brought up before in an attempt to trade up in the draft with the Rockets pick.

I like some of the names mentioned in this article.

Would be awesome to land Little or Porter, via trading up with the Rockets pick.

And still have our #5 overall to draft another player. That way the Cavaliers could draft two players with high upside.

Which would most likely give the Cavaliers at least an “A” grade when each team gets graded on the draft.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#235 » by Stillwater » Mon May 20, 2019 2:30 am

tundraknight wrote:https://www.fearthesword.com/2019/5/17/18625166/cavaliers-2019-nba-draft-trades

I know JRs contract has been brought up before in an attempt to trade up in the draft with the Rockets pick.

I like some of the names mentioned in this article.

Would be awesome to land Little or Porter, via trading up with the Rockets pick.

And still have our #5 overall to draft another player. That way the Cavaliers could draft two players with high upside.

Which would most likely give the Cavaliers at least an “A” grade when each team gets graded on the draft.

an option for miami, but probably not what their hoping for given Smiths deal alone wont save them enough to get any decent fa. in a trade where cavs take on jj for 2 yrs they might do it just to have more in 2020 but seems doubtful.
i think cavs need to consider option to trade down with atl for 8 and 10 or 8 and the full rights back to 2020 still owed to atl 11-30.
I think the nets who would creat just enough sending us crabbe for smith would justify sending the 27th and 31st... obviously 17th and 31 would be really good but prob have to forfeit 26
substancej
Junior
And1: 490

Post#236 » by substancej » Mon May 20, 2019 11:54 am

Go ahead
Kevin Love finna get traded
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,130

Post#237 » by jbk1234 » Mon May 20, 2019 8:44 pm

Unless it's a really minor asset, I don't think RJ is worth moving up for. Now, if the Grizzlies wanted Sexton and would move back, that's a conversation worth having.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#238 » by Stillwater » Mon May 20, 2019 9:37 pm

jbk1234 wrote:Unless it's a really minor asset, I don't think RJ is worth moving up for. Now, if the Grizzlies wanted Sexton and would move back, that's a conversation worth having.
Yeah I wouldn't move Sexton for the 2nd unless we kept the 5th...
Showed way to much improvement to have him come back and kill us the rest of his career.

I also would be a little surprised if they gave up the farm to get RJ. I do think he is a consistant 3 pointer away from becoming a top 50 player down the road though.
Revenged25
Analyst
And1: 1,002

Post#239 » by Revenged25 » Mon May 20, 2019 10:09 pm

Stillwater wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:Unless it's a really minor asset, I don't think RJ is worth moving up for. Now, if the Grizzlies wanted Sexton and would move back, that's a conversation worth having.
Showed way to much improvement to have him come back and kill us the rest of his career.

I also would be a little surprised if they gave up the farm to get RJ. I do think he is a consistant 3 pointer away from becoming a top 50 player down the road though.

TBH I'm not sure if I would even trade Sexton for Morant straight up. They are both 2 years removed from HS, In their first year Sexton played himself into a top 10 pick in a very deep draft and Morant wasn't anywhere to be seen. In their second year Morant dominated a weak conference and had some really good games against top competition as well to his credit, meanwhile Sexton was playing against the highest competition and even in a poor environment, multiple/long injuries to key players and trying to tank because of it, he showed vast improvement including starting to give up on his midrange shot as much for taking and making more 3 pt shots which he ended ending the season averaging 40% on his 3pt shots. Granted his ability to create for others needs to improve, but considering the lack of a system for him to develop in, not to mention the lack of consistent shooting from anyone on the team, his numbers were obviously low.

Considering what both have shown already, I'm sticking with Sexton. Who knows what he would've done to the NCAA competition if he stayed in college for one more year.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,130

Post#240 » by jbk1234 » Mon May 20, 2019 11:35 pm

Stillwater wrote:

He showed some improvement, mostly at a point in a season where younger players show improvement because other players and teams take their foot off the gas. His fundamental attribute is how fast he is but it makes him harder to play make for the rest of his teammates because he's easy to speed up. I'm almost certain Ja will have a higher ceiling than him.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers