Read on Twitter
?s=20

Read on Twitter
?s=20

Read on Twitter
?s=20

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using RealGM mobile app
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,144

Re: Grade the draft 

Post#2 » by jbk1234 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 3:14 am

I wanted Hunter, but after he was gone, I liked all the Cavs moves.

cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
Stillwater
RealGM
And1: 3,655

Post#3 » by Stillwater » Fri Jun 21, 2019 3:30 am

Cavs arguably won the 1st round getting Garland and KPJ. Windler is also a legit shooter and more athletic than most realize , has nba athleticism
SUNDOWN BRINGS A WELCOME CHANGE TO EVERYTHING THAT'S HIDING
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#4 » by Stillwater » Fri Jun 21, 2019 12:36 pm

dean wade another fit for Beilein reportedly on summer league roster.
i wonder if cavs have interest in any that went undrafted that need g-league like Naz Reid, Lecque,Dort,Louis King etc...including Tacko
would like to see Daquan Jeffries,Luke Maye or Terrance Davis get picked up on a 2-way.
Revenged25
Analyst
And1: 1,002

Post#5 » by Revenged25 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 3:24 pm

Although I don't agree with all of the picks they all make sense and could really show dividends in the future.

Darius Garland - Pick I'm most unsure about. Had a negative AST:TO ratio in the few games of college he did play but his scoring potential is there. Also his size with Sexton will make it difficult for those 2 I'm sure.

Dylan Windler - Looking at his stats looks like he'll possibly be similar caliber player to Korver, good rotation/starter that might make a couple All-Star games when they have a really big year, but not often.

Kevin Porter Jr. - At this point you couldn't not take him or Bol Bol. Easily the biggest boom/bust in the draft. Could be anywhere from Jordan Clarkson to a better 3pt shooting DeRozan to something even better still. At worst it makes the thought of moving on from Clarkson a lot easier as teams might look to get him to provide a spark off the bench in the playoffs at the deadline.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#6 » by Stillwater » Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:44 pm

Revenged25 wrote:Although I don't agree with all of the picks they all make sense and could really show dividends in the future.

Darius Garland - Pick I'm most unsure about. Had a negative AST:TO ratio in the few games of college he did play but his scoring potential is there. Also his size with Sexton will make it difficult for those 2 I'm sure.

Dylan Windler - Looking at his stats looks like he'll possibly be similar caliber player to Korver, good rotation/starter that might make a couple All-Star games when they have a really big year, but not often.

Kevin Porter Jr. - At this point you couldn't not take him or Bol Bol. Easily the biggest boom/bust in the draft. Could be anywhere from Jordan Clarkson to a better 3pt shooting DeRozan to something even better still. At worst it makes the thought of moving on from Clarkson a lot easier as teams might look to get him to provide a spark off the bench in the playoffs at the deadline.

yeah those are sober takes...
Garland was and is the most rangy shooter in the class that isn't over 20 yrs old but the creation ability for himself and others along with the ridiculous handles makes the pick incredibly smart regardless of concerns with fit.

Windler is an nba caliber athlete 37.5 max vert at the combine 5th fastest shuttle run etc and is a legit 6'6"+w/ 6'10"ws and an elite bbiq to back up going 26 than add the obscene shooting %'s fit in Beilein's system and he was actually a steal at 26.

KPJ was the steal of the draft if he reaches his ceiling. Best iso prospect in draft. Harden level arsenol for creating.
gflem
Analyst
And1: 276

Post#7 » by gflem » Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:33 pm

Garland and Windler look like solid picks, with Garland's potential and Windler's shooting and rebounding. Porter is the real question here, but worth the risk with what the team gave up. Overall if I had to grade the draft now I would say B to B+, with the potential to be much better than that.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#8 » by Stillwater » Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:38 pm

gflem wrote:Garland and Windler look like solid picks, with Garland's potential and Windler's shooting and rebounding. Porter is the real question here, but worth the risk with what the team gave up. Overall if I had to grade the draft now I would say B to B+, with the potential to be much better than that.
Yeah to me the only issue with KPJ is the personality. Some say it's immaturity and maybe it is, but I think it's just a product of a tough life. He has as much upside as Barrett
tundraknight
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,918

Post#9 » by tundraknight » Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:08 am

^ Yeah I’m very happy about getting Kevin Porter Jr. at the end of the 1st.

I hope he lives up to his potential because I can’t remember the last time the Cavaliers had an elite level SG.

This is slightly off topic but I seen someone say “they’re trying to Monta my boy Sexton” meaning like when Monta Ellis was the Star for the Warriors when they drafted Curry. They tried to play them together forming a very small backcourt which didn’t work out. Then they drafted Klay to form the “Splash Bros” with Curry/Klay.

It got me thinking if something similar happens with the Cavaliers. A Garland/Sexton back court may not work out as well as they’re hoping, which could give Kevin Porter Jr. time to shine and form a Garland/Kevin Porter Jr. backcourt which could be much more effective overall. And perhaps trade Sexton in the future.
substancej
Junior
And1: 490

Post#10 » by substancej » Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:34 am

tundraknight wrote:^ Yeah I’m very happy about getting Kevin Porter Jr. at the end of the 1st.

I hope he lives up to his potential because I can’t remember the last time the Cavaliers had an elite level SG.

This is slightly off topic but I seen someone say “they’re trying to Monta my boy Sexton” meaning like when Monta Ellis was the Star for the Warriors when they drafted Curry. They tried to play them together forming a very small backcourt which didn’t work out. Then they drafted Klay to form the “Splash Bros” with Curry/Klay.

It got me thinking if something similar happens with the Cavaliers. A Garland/Sexton back court may not work out as well as they’re hoping, which could give Kevin Porter Jr. time to shine and form a Garland/Kevin Porter Jr. backcourt which could be much more effective overall. And perhaps trade Sexton in the future.

Or Sexton could end up being considerably better than Garland. We just don't know. Sexton came out of his shell in like the last 20 games of the season.
Kevin Love finna get traded
tundraknight
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,918

Post#11 » by tundraknight » Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:09 am

^ agreed. I was just using that as an example. But yeah either one could be traded if the experiment doesn’t pan out. I’d give it at least a full season.

Also they don’t necessarily have to trade either one if it doesn’t work out. Another option would be to have one of them become to the 6th man scorer off the bench. Similar to Jordan Clarksons current roll.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#12 » by Stillwater » Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:21 pm

tundraknight wrote:^ agreed. I was just using that as an example. But yeah either one could be traded if the experiment doesn’t pan out. I’d give it at least a full season.

Also they don’t necessarily have to trade either one if it doesn’t work out. Another option would be to have one of them become to the 6th man scorer off the bench. Similar to Jordan Clarksons current roll.

The word I have gotten from a reasonably reliable anonymous local source is that the Cavs ultimately drafted Garland because not only was his value as a BPA strong for trades ( that didn't materialize) it was strong for the Cavs needs for more shooters & were happy to keep him to play with Sexton and don't have plans to move Sexton or Garland at all at this point unless someone blows them away.
They are confident both are versatile enough to play together.
bmurph128
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,625

Post#13 » by bmurph128 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:51 pm

I rarely follow college basketball, but I was happy with all three picks. Was hoping for a third first round pick and they came through (although not with JR's contract).

Once it got closer to the draft and it seemed like Garland to the Cavs was more likely, I got on board with it. BPA is definitely the best route at this point and you have to hope that either Sexton or Garland develops into a star.

Always having one of them on the court will be a plus - and I'm going to be ridiculously positive about these picks and assume they all pan out, with Garland being a star - which means the rebuild is complete :)

Garland
Sexton
Cedi
Love
Thompson

Delly
Clarkson
Porter
Windler
Nance
Zizic

If they can learn to play defense, we'll be right back into the playoffs
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#14 » by jbk1234 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:05 pm

bmurph128 wrote:I rarely follow college basketball, but I was happy with all three picks. Was hoping for a third first round pick and they came through (although not with JR's contract).

Once it got closer to the draft and it seemed like Garland to the Cavs was more likely, I got on board with it. BPA is definitely the best route at this point and you have to hope that either Sexton or Garland develops into a star.

Always having one of them on the court will be a plus - and I'm going to be ridiculously positive about these picks and assume they all pan out, with Garland being a star - which means the rebuild is complete :)

Garland
Sexton
Cedi
Love
Thompson

Delly
Clarkson
Porter
Windler
Nance
Zizic

You can hide a guard on defense. You can't hide two. There's no rush, but a Garland/Sexton back court isn't viable in the long run IMO.

cbosh4mvp wrote:
substancej
Junior

Post#15 » by substancej » Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:23 pm

bmurph128 wrote:I rarely follow college basketball, but I was happy with all three picks. Was hoping for a third first round pick and they came through (although not with JR's contract).

Garland
Sexton
Cedi
Love
Thompson

Delly
Clarkson
Porter
Windler
Nance
Zizic

I think Cedi is not much more than a 6th man at this point. Nance has this sort of point-forward quality that I think the Cavs can utilize, especially if Love gets traded. I'd say:
Garland / Clarkson / Delly
Sexton / Cedi
Nwaba / Porter
Nance / Windler
TT / Henson
In my opinion, this should be our young core.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#16 » by Stillwater » Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:55 pm

substancej wrote:

Garland
Sexton
Cedi
Love
Thompson

Delly
Clarkson
Porter
Windler
Nance
Zizic

I think Cedi is not much more than a 6th man at this point. Nance has this sort of point-forward quality that I think the Cavs can utilize, especially if Love gets traded. I'd say:
Sexton / Cedi
Nwaba / Porter
Nance / Windler
TT / Henson

I am not sold any of these players will be core pieces for a contender as they all have huge question marks that need answered correctly.But I would put $ on KPJ ending up being the best player from the draft for the Cavs.
I like Sexton going forward better than the type of player Garland looks to be at least from a developmental viewpoint. I think Darius will be a high level shooter and a reliable offensive threat at minimum as a 6th man long term, but I am more confident in Sexton earning starter minutes long term instead of just having them handed to him on a tanking team.
substancej
Junior

Post#17 » by substancej » Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:02 pm

Stillwater wrote:
substancej wrote:

Garland
Sexton
Cedi
Love
Thompson

Delly
Clarkson
Porter
Windler
Nance
Zizic

Sexton / Cedi
Nwaba / Porter
Nance / Windler
TT / Henson

I am not sold any of these players will be core pieces for a contender as they all have huge question marks that need answered correctly.But I would put $ on KPJ ending up being the best player from the draft for the Cavs.
I like Sexton going forward better than the type of player Garland looks to be at least from a developmental viewpoint. I think Darius will be a high level shooter and a reliable offensive threat at minimum as a 6th man long term, but I am more confident in Sexton earning starter minutes long term instead of just having them handed to him on a tanking team.

Well yeah, I don't think even 50% of this team will be on the roster by the time the Cavs are contending. The players I laid out in the list are more of the Cavs' "Sacramento-mode" near future, which is to say they'll win games but won't make the playoffs. I think KPJ has a strong chance to be starter level in his rookie year simply because of his physical talent, but he should have a bench role until he can control his behavior.
As far as Sexton vs. Garland, the bottom line is that Sexton has proven himself to be a fairly good NBA starter while Garland hasn't yet. Sexton should get preferential treatment until Garland proves himself.
tidho
General Manager
And1: 3,070

Post#18 » by tidho » Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:52 pm

From a value perspective, A-
They got guys where they were supposed to go, along with some serious upside with KPJ.

From a fit perspective, C-
Undersized, ball dominant, combo guards... usually one per roster is enough, we have several, lol.
Some were already saying Sexton would be best coming off the bench because he's not really a PG. Well we just drafted another Sexton and plan to start both of them.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#19 » by jbk1234 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:31 pm

Stillwater wrote:
substancej wrote:

Garland
Sexton
Cedi
Love
Thompson

Delly
Clarkson
Porter
Windler
Nance
Zizic

Sexton / Cedi
Nwaba / Porter
Nance / Windler
TT / Henson

I really hope we'd didn't select a guy with a top 5 pick in order to make him a sixth man.

cbosh4mvp wrote:
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#20 » by Stillwater » Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:43 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
Stillwater wrote:
substancej wrote:I think Cedi is not much more than a 6th man at this point. Nance has this sort of point-forward quality that I think the Cavs can utilize, especially if Love gets traded. I'd say:
Sexton / Cedi
Nwaba / Porter
Nance / Windler
TT / Henson

I really hope we'd didn't select a guy with a top 5 pick in order to make him a sixth man.

yeah I think ultimately we did but hopefully I am wrong

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers