ImageImageImage

What was David Griffith really trying to say.../

Moderator: jbk1234

Pop Daddy
Ballboy
Posts: 30
And1: 10
Joined: Jul 14, 2019
   

What was David Griffith really trying to say.../ 

Post#1 » by Pop Daddy » Thu Aug 8, 2019 1:43 am

Lebron makes it so you could never have long term success, and he kills all the joy of working in the league , but I dont want to get him and his people too mad at me, so I will hold back a bit
Stillwater
General Manager
Posts: 9,389
And1: 2,409
Joined: Jun 15, 2017
   

Re: What was David Griffith really trying to say.../ 

Post#2 » by Stillwater » Thu Aug 8, 2019 6:08 pm

? what is the point of this
water aint the mirror unless you steal it
2019 REALGM draft contest winner
jbk1234
Forum Mod - Cavs
Forum Mod - Cavs
Posts: 36,133
And1: 20,610
Joined: Dec 22, 2010
   

Re: What was David Griffith really trying to say.../ 

Post#3 » by jbk1234 » Thu Aug 8, 2019 7:54 pm

Griffin had to manage the egos of LBJ, Kyrie, and Gilbert. It clearly left a mark. It's not like LBJ and Kyrie walked out of Cleveland and have been issue free since.
It is highly unlikely that the Cavs will agree with your Kevin Love evaluation for the purpose of a trade.
Pop Daddy
Ballboy
Posts: 30
And1: 10
Joined: Jul 14, 2019
   

Re: What was David Griffith really trying to say.../ 

Post#4 » by Pop Daddy » Fri Aug 9, 2019 2:29 am

Stillwater wrote:? what is the point of this


to try and figure out why David Griffin said what he did at this time. But I guess the real root of it, was he is saying what Durant said "no one wants to play with lebron" but you are probably mad cause you disagree
Stillwater
General Manager
Posts: 9,389
And1: 2,409
Joined: Jun 15, 2017
   

Re: What was David Griffith really trying to say.../ 

Post#5 » by Stillwater » Fri Aug 9, 2019 2:42 am

Pop Daddy wrote:
Stillwater wrote:? what is the point of this


to try and figure out why David Griffin said what he did at this time. But I guess the real root of it, was he is saying what Durant said "no one wants to play with lebron" but you are probably mad cause you disagree

nope don't really care at all what Griff or Lebron have to say and don't believe a damn thing either say at this point
water aint the mirror unless you steal it
2019 REALGM draft contest winner
JonFromVA
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,930
And1: 1,550
Joined: Dec 08, 2009
     

Re: What was David Griffith really trying to say.../ 

Post#6 » by JonFromVA » Fri Aug 9, 2019 11:03 pm

Pop Daddy wrote:Lebron makes it so you could never have long term success, and he kills all the joy of working in the league , but I dont want to get him and his people too mad at me, so I will hold back a bit


I think he's saying he struggled to cope with the constant pressure he was under.

What I'd like to hear someone ask him is why did he string the Cavaliers out for so long if he knew he had no intention of returning as early as 2016?

- Would $10M/year AND President of Basketball Operations had changed his mind?
- Was he intentionally trying to harm the team/Dan?
- Was he trying to make sure the Cavs would have little choice but to give his underling the job?

I'd also be curious to know if he's still under any sort of NDA with the Cavs and for how much longer.

I'd also be curious to ask Dan if he ever considered that hiring a GM who's already dealt with this kind of pressure might be a good idea?
User avatar
gflem
Veteran
Posts: 2,679
And1: 149
Joined: Sep 11, 2004

Re: What was David Griffith really trying to say.../ 

Post#7 » by gflem » Sat Aug 10, 2019 2:07 am

I think what he was trying to say is that once Lebron decided to come back he lost his ability to guide the franchise back to prominence his way. He could not build a lasting program ala the Spurs. His vision was thrown out the window, and Lebron's opinion on how to move forward, who to sign took precedence over everything else.
He sounded bitter about the loss of power, but how could the team, and ownership say no to Lebron coming back? His comments are a bit holier than thou to me, if he really felt so castrated by Lebron's return, he should have bailed immediately. I always respected the job he did, and will always give him credit for the moves he made in order to get this team to a title and four straight finals appearances, and NO, Lebron didnt do it by himself, but he looks a bit like a whiner after these comments to me, like someone who was willing to accept the accolades he got at the time but would rather have come close his way than win it all while catering to what Lebron wanted/needed.
Revenged25
Rookie
Posts: 1,132
And1: 343
Joined: Jun 05, 2018
   

Re: What was David Griffith really trying to say.../ 

Post#8 » by Revenged25 » Sat Aug 10, 2019 2:38 am

gflem wrote:I think what he was trying to say is that once Lebron decided to come back he lost his ability to guide the franchise back to prominence his way. He could not build a lasting program ala the Spurs. His vision was thrown out the window, and Lebron's opinion on how to move forward, who to sign took precedence over everything else.
He sounded bitter about the loss of power, but how could the team, and ownership say no to Lebron coming back? His comments are a bit holier than thou to me, if he really felt so castrated by Lebron's return, he should have bailed immediately. I always respected the job he did, and will always give him credit for the moves he made in order to get this team to a title and four straight finals appearances, and NO, Lebron didnt do it by himself, but he looks a bit like a whiner after these comments to me, like someone who was willing to accept the accolades he got at the time but would rather have come close his way than win it all while catering to what Lebron wanted/needed.


I mean it sounds similar to the reports from Brooklyn in regards to KD. They never talked to or negotiated with KD supposedly before they found out that he was going to sign with them, and since they have the cap space, you don't say no to KD.
Trailbreaker
Junior
Posts: 306
And1: 106
Joined: Jul 29, 2014
     

Re: What was David Griffith really trying to say.../ 

Post#9 » by Trailbreaker » Sun Aug 11, 2019 1:56 pm

At the end of the day I’ll never forget 2015-16. All this was worth it for a Larry O’Brien trophy in Cleveland. To top it all off the Cavs beat a team that was 73-9.
Image
JonFromVA
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,930
And1: 1,550
Joined: Dec 08, 2009
     

Re: What was David Griffith really trying to say.../ 

Post#10 » by JonFromVA » Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:26 pm

gflem wrote:I think what he was trying to say is that once Lebron decided to come back he lost his ability to guide the franchise back to prominence his way. He could not build a lasting program ala the Spurs. His vision was thrown out the window, and Lebron's opinion on how to move forward, who to sign took precedence over everything else.
He sounded bitter about the loss of power, but how could the team, and ownership say no to Lebron coming back? His comments are a bit holier than thou to me, if he really felt so castrated by Lebron's return, he should have bailed immediately. I always respected the job he did, and will always give him credit for the moves he made in order to get this team to a title and four straight finals appearances, and NO, Lebron didnt do it by himself, but he looks a bit like a whiner after these comments to me, like someone who was willing to accept the accolades he got at the time but would rather have come close his way than win it all while catering to what Lebron wanted/needed.


I don't know that Griff has the first clue how to build a long lasting program ala the Spurs. Maybe he would have enjoyed the chance to try to figure it out all the while under little pressure to win. But if he had a little Pops in his head asking him constantly "What would the Spurs do" ... he sure wasn't listening to it, or convincing others in the organization to.

His main focus was to deal with locker-room chemistry issues, and that was trivial for LeBron to manipulate; but did he do anything to stop LeBron's manipulations? Hardly. He was just out of his league.

And that's really on Dan.

Ferry? Grant? Griff? Lue? Altman? Blatt? Brown? ... what the heck did any of those guys know about building a championship?

The only reason they were shocked James returned in 2014 was because they'd bungled their opportunity to build a young promising team on the rise. Chris Grant knew there was a chance James would return ... Rich Paul had told him. So yeah, he invites James to Z's retirement ceremony. Unfortunately, that and collecting picks were about the only thing he got right.

So, really ... what exactly were any of them qualified to do besides tank, sell off assets, and kowtow to James?
User avatar
gflem
Veteran
Posts: 2,679
And1: 149
Joined: Sep 11, 2004

Re: What was David Griffith really trying to say.../ 

Post#11 » by gflem » Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:45 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
gflem wrote:I think what he was trying to say is that once Lebron decided to come back he lost his ability to guide the franchise back to prominence his way.

I don't know that Griff has the first clue how to build a long lasting program ala the Spurs. Maybe he would have enjoyed the chance to try to figure it out all the while under little pressure to win. But if he had a little Pops in his head asking him constantly "What would the Spurs do" ... he sure wasn't listening to it, or convincing others in the organization to.

His main focus was to deal with locker-room chemistry issues, and that was trivial for LeBron to manipulate; but did he do anything to stop LeBron's manipulations? Hardly. He was just out of his league.

And that's really on Dan.

Ferry? Grant? Griff? Lue? Altman? Blatt? Brown? ... what the heck did any of those guys know about building a championship?

The only reason they were shocked James returned in 2014 was because they'd bungled their opportunity to build a young promising team on the rise. Chris Grant knew there was a chance James would return ... Rich Paul had told him. So yeah, he invites James to Z's retirement ceremony. Unfortunately, that and collecting picks were about the only thing he got right.

So, really ... what exactly were any of them qualified to do besides tank, sell off assets, and kowtow to James?


I dont disagree with anything you said here. I just think that in his mind he had a plan and that Lebron returning blew that plan up. In some way he should be thanking Lebron but he just doesnt seem to see it that way.
JonFromVA
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,930
And1: 1,550
Joined: Dec 08, 2009
     

Re: What was David Griffith really trying to say.../ 

Post#12 » by JonFromVA » Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:06 pm

gflem wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
gflem wrote:I think what he was trying to say is that once Lebron decided to come back he lost his ability to guide the franchise back to prominence his way.

I don't know that Griff has the first clue how to build a long lasting program ala the Spurs. Maybe he would have enjoyed the chance to try to figure it out all the while under little pressure to win. But if he had a little Pops in his head asking him constantly "What would the Spurs do" ... he sure wasn't listening to it, or convincing others in the organization to.

His main focus was to deal with locker-room chemistry issues, and that was trivial for LeBron to manipulate; but did he do anything to stop LeBron's manipulations? Hardly. He was just out of his league.

And that's really on Dan.

Ferry? Grant? Griff? Lue? Altman? Blatt? Brown? ... what the heck did any of those guys know about building a championship?

The only reason they were shocked James returned in 2014 was because they'd bungled their opportunity to build a young promising team on the rise. Chris Grant knew there was a chance James would return ... Rich Paul had told him. So yeah, he invites James to Z's retirement ceremony. Unfortunately, that and collecting picks were about the only thing he got right.

So, really ... what exactly were any of them qualified to do besides tank, sell off assets, and kowtow to James?


I dont disagree with anything you said here. I just think that in his mind he had a plan and that Lebron returning blew that plan up. In some way he should be thanking Lebron but he just doesnt seem to see it that way.


I don't doubt that, but if he didn't feel he could cope with it, he could have resigned. I suppose he may just be "over-sharing". Maybe he feels he did cope and dealt with the problems as best he could in a professional manner.

It just really bugs me that he said he knew he wasn't going to continue as GM yet strung out the organization. If what he meant is that he wanted to step back from day to day ops, hand that to Trent Redden, and get paid a bundle as President of Basketball Ops ... well ... too bad he didn't say that or hasn't said that since.

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers