Moderator: ijspeelman

Revenged25
Analyst
And1: 1,002

Re: Cavaliers 2020 Draft Discussion. 

Post#41 » by Revenged25 » Thu Dec 26, 2019 2:35 pm

Stillwater wrote:
Revenged25 wrote:
Stillwater wrote:I get it,and the box score comment I made was valid as it pertains to intl prospects in the lottery so unless a prospect is built like KP or Sekou or Gianni's they'll need to be putting up Luka level numbers over there or this org ain't gonna over think it even if another org does...He could become what you say and is probably going to be a better shooting version of Cedi but a step down from Cedi defensively and athleticIy I mean Cedi was a more proven point forward and we got him early 2nd.
I want Mcdaniels if Wiseman is gone. That could change since he's still raw in a few areas of his game for his ranking. I also like his teammate Stewart a little later.
The problem with the top of this class is it's mostly pgs. Figures

I've seen several mocks that have McDaniels go in the later part of the 1st, probably due to him being raw as you are saying. So it could be possible that getting Deni and McDaniels isn't off the table.

Also Luka's international stats weren't great either. 12.8/5.7/5.0 in 24 mpg is hardly tearing up the box scores, at least for NBA stars. Maccabi is doing Deni a disservice and he'd be much better in the NBA than he is/would be in the Euroleagues. But you might be right and our FO will miss out on another top flight player due to some horrible scouting decisions, such as taking TT over Kawhi when both positions had holes that needed filled/upgraded.

My take on Mcdaniels is only that he fits the mold of a long athletic 3/4 defender like a J Isaac that can space the floor has decent iq etc but is years away from his ceiling. My biggest thought on intl prospects in the lottery like your boy here is there is a huge and proven risk in taking project prospects who are playing professional overseas but can't emerge from the pack and don't make alerts pop up on scout wires. most taken that high fail without having a immediate impact skill to justify the pick over similar level prospects with higher ceilings that orgs are willing to wait for due to elite athleticism. Imo 75% of mocks right now are way off base as is the case with mine often too. But mocks are not the same as a big board either. I had Reddish in the 60s for example but mocked him late lottery . If this kid makes enough noise he could go top 10 but I am not seeing the same ceiling you are and don't think a 2/3 that can't finish in traffic other than fast breaks has much of a chance to make it unless he proves to be a korkmaz type shooter in practice settings

It seems like his 3pt% is down currently, but from everything I've read as well as what I've seen in the highlight, obviously flawed, videos of him, is that he's a good defender, floor general, and shooter though his finishing at the rim isn't the best. I think he would work well with both Garland and Sexton as he's a good defender, higher potential in that department than Cedi, a very good floor general able to control the offense in both the half-court or in transition, as well as a solid shooter. I don't think he'd ever be a 20+ ppg guy, but I could could see him as a 15-18 ppg, 5-8 rpg, 5-7 apg type of player in the NBA. As I've said before, it seems that euroleagues value different skillsets than the NBA so even great players can have a hard time breaking into the rotation and it sounded like Maccabi is a poor fit as they had very seasoned players at the 1-3 position which means his chances of getting minutes were diminished.
Stillwater
RealGM
And1: 3,655

Post#42 » by Stillwater » Thu Dec 26, 2019 4:41 pm

Revenged25 wrote:
Stillwater wrote:
Revenged25 wrote:
I've seen several mocks that have McDaniels go in the later part of the 1st, probably due to him being raw as you are saying. So it could be possible that getting Deni and McDaniels isn't off the table.

Also Luka's international stats weren't great either. 12.8/5.7/5.0 in 24 mpg is hardly tearing up the box scores, at least for NBA stars. Maccabi is doing Deni a disservice and he'd be much better in the NBA than he is/would be in the Euroleagues. But you might be right and our FO will miss out on another top flight player due to some horrible scouting decisions, such as taking TT over Kawhi when both positions had holes that needed filled/upgraded.

My take on Mcdaniels is only that he fits the mold of a long athletic 3/4 defender like a J Isaac that can space the floor has decent iq etc but is years away from his ceiling. My biggest thought on intl prospects in the lottery like your boy here is there is a huge and proven risk in taking project prospects who are playing professional overseas but can't emerge from the pack and don't make alerts pop up on scout wires. most taken that high fail without having a immediate impact skill to justify the pick over similar level prospects with higher ceilings that orgs are willing to wait for due to elite athleticism. Imo 75% of mocks right now are way off base as is the case with mine often too. But mocks are not the same as a big board either. I had Reddish in the 60s for example but mocked him late lottery . If this kid makes enough noise he could go top 10 but I am not seeing the same ceiling you are and don't think a 2/3 that can't finish in traffic other than fast breaks has much of a chance to make it unless he proves to be a korkmaz type shooter in practice settings

It seems like his 3pt% is down currently, but from everything I've read as well as what I've seen in the highlight, obviously flawed, videos of him, is that he's a good defender, floor general, and shooter though his finishing at the rim isn't the best. I think he would work well with both Garland and Sexton as he's a good defender, higher potential in that department than Cedi, a very good floor general able to control the offense in both the half-court or in transition, as well as a solid shooter. I don't think he'd ever be a 20+ ppg guy, but I could could see him as a 15-18 ppg, 5-8 rpg, 5-7 apg type of player in the NBA. As I've said before, it seems that euroleagues value different skillsets than the NBA so even great players can have a hard time breaking into the rotation and it sounded like Maccabi is a poor fit as they had very seasoned players at the 1-3 position which means his chances of getting minutes were diminished.

Yeah I am just not seeing him as a high value target at a position of greatest need for this roster with KPJ emerging as a lock to be a starter probably at the 2 not the 3 and imo Avdija lacks the athleticism and slashing ability to play the 3 in the NBA. I don't disagree he has solid vision for a 2/3 in the leagues he is in and he did show significant ability in the jr. leagues that gives a lot of scouts hope he could become that impactful where he is now and eventually the NBA but overall his lack of above the rim athleticism aside from a few full sprint dunks severely limits his ability at the 3. if they see him as an upgrade to KPJ in the backcourt I could see some interest in him in the 8-10 range should we fall to there.
Overall I think this org has to be looking at long athletic front court players that can stretch the floor and McDaniels is exactly the one guy that fits that. after that they are looking for prospects they probably won't help them much as far as fit and we will be talking about how the did it again taking the bpa regardless of fit when they draft another guard.
IMO if they dont get Wiseman or McDaniels and are sitting there with bpa guards trade down would make sense because theyve already missed out on the top non guards of the class unless a prospect like Landers Nolley,Stewart or Achiuwa is that high on their board.
SUNDOWN BRINGS A WELCOME CHANGE TO EVERYTHING THAT'S HIDING
Revenged25
Analyst
And1: 1,002

Post#43 » by Revenged25 » Thu Dec 26, 2019 9:06 pm

Stillwater wrote:
Revenged25 wrote:
Stillwater wrote:My take on Mcdaniels is only that he fits the mold of a long athletic 3/4 defender like a J Isaac that can space the floor has decent iq etc but is years away from his ceiling. My biggest thought on intl prospects in the lottery like your boy here is there is a huge and proven risk in taking project prospects who are playing professional overseas but can't emerge from the pack and don't make alerts pop up on scout wires. most taken that high fail without having a immediate impact skill to justify the pick over similar level prospects with higher ceilings that orgs are willing to wait for due to elite athleticism. Imo 75% of mocks right now are way off base as is the case with mine often too. But mocks are not the same as a big board either. I had Reddish in the 60s for example but mocked him late lottery . If this kid makes enough noise he could go top 10 but I am not seeing the same ceiling you are and don't think a 2/3 that can't finish in traffic other than fast breaks has much of a chance to make it unless he proves to be a korkmaz type shooter in practice settings

Yeah I am just not seeing him as a high value target at a position of greatest need for this roster with KPJ emerging as a lock to be a starter probably at the 2 not the 3 and imo Avdija lacks the athleticism and slashing ability to play the 3 in the NBA. I don't disagree he has solid vision for a 2/3 in the leagues he is in and he did show significant ability in the jr. leagues that gives a lot of scouts hope he could become that impactful where he is now and eventually the NBA but overall his lack of above the rim athleticism aside from a few full sprint dunks severely limits his ability at the 3. if they see him as an upgrade to KPJ in the backcourt I could see some interest in him in the 8-10 range should we fall to there.
Overall I think this org has to be looking at long athletic front court players that can stretch the floor and McDaniels is exactly the one guy that fits that. after that they are looking for prospects they probably won't help them much as far as fit and we will be talking about how the did it again taking the bpa regardless of fit when they draft another guard.
IMO if they dont get Wiseman or McDaniels and are sitting there with bpa guards trade down would make sense because theyve already missed out on the top non guards of the class unless a prospect like Landers Nolley,Stewart or Achiuwa is that high on their board.

I think you're a little too hung up on the 3 needing to be a slasher to be honest. I could see it being a requirement if a team's roster lacked anyone that could drive and score, but this roster has players that can do that already but it lacks someone that can consistently create offense from the wing. I think Deni could create offense from the wing even with mediocre finishing skills at the rim. I also think Deni is definitely a 3 personally, but I think it really comes down to how they want to run this team. At worst I think having a core of Garland/Sexton/KPJ/Windler/Deni/Osman would allow for a lot of different looks to provide length, defense, shooting, etc as needed. Plus we already know that Garland/KPJ are a good pairing for one unit as well as Sexton/Cedi seeming to be another good pairing for a unit with their transition skills. Adding in Deni would allow for two different units to really be defined with our young point guards as well as being able to run line-ups without either as Deni could be the primary ball handler in a unit that paired him with KPJ and Cedi as well giving us a long backcourt to help with various match-ups.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#44 » by Stillwater » Thu Dec 26, 2019 10:15 pm

^I'm not 100% sold on Garland with anyone being a decidedly best option starter yet but he did show better efficiency with KPJ on the floor with or without Sexton still on the floor for whatever reason probably just defenses having to pay attention to his fellow rookie more than him.
I dont want to be in a position in the draft where they are looking for offensive creators next summer...if they are Deni might be a reasonable option I guess it will probably mean Garland never put it together.
a 3 has to be a capable finisher and shooter in fact imo has to be the best player on the team for a contender in todays NBA.
Deni is not that level of prospect imo not at the 3...maybe at the 2
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#45 » by Stillwater » Sat Jan 4, 2020 6:12 pm

with conference play starting we get to see some solid match ups esp today.
do yourself a favor and check out sg/sf Landers Nolly II if you are not familiar with him for VT vs Virginia at 2 on sportstime ohio thisn kid can really fill it up and is a big time sleeper. I know the game of the day at 1pm was supposed to be Memphis vs Georgia aka Edwards team vs Wiseman team and yeah Memphis still has Achiuwa so that will be a good one as well. The other match up that has some nice prospects is WV with Tshiebwa and Culver against Kansas with Azubuki, Agbaji and Dotson @4pm today.Then tommorow the big one is athletic bigs matching up in Isaiah Stewart and WAS vs Okongwu and USC in the nightcap .Mcdaniels for WAS is also a high ceiling project 3/4
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#46 » by Stillwater » Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:33 am

So here is a mock with current trades in place and proposed deals where CLE sends Love to PHO for 12th or there about, + TJ expiring /filler (FK/Lecque)
Then gets 2 2nds from DAL ( the best one being 31st or abouts aka GSW's pick owned by DAL) and a late 2nd for TT. Take on Lee/filler(Roby )
Cavs also are real lucky and win the whole damn lottery this time.
J.Wiseman- no brainer bpa and at a position of need.
L.Nolly- immense floor game w/ elite skill as a shooter/scorer/ potential as a defender great length at 2/3 etc still not getting attn. deserves.
T.Bey- defensive machine at the 3/4, can score some. has a handle etc.
Z.Simpson- Ohio product played for Beilein and can run an offense avg 8.8 dimes per this season as a senior.
https://basketball.realgm.com/nba/draft/draft_simulator/view/638493/
JonFromVA
RealGM
And1: 4,382

Post#47 » by JonFromVA » Wed Jan 29, 2020 4:48 pm

Wiseman seems like he's destined to be a Cavalier. Well, maybe he's too tall for a typical Cavalier top-pick, but gotta like how he's barely played in College. Another raw high upside player.

Edwards would be another classic pick as it would allow us to double down on our athletic SG prospects and open the door for us to run lineups with 2 PGs and 2 SGs.

Fun!
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#48 » by Stillwater » Wed Jan 29, 2020 5:01 pm

JonFromVA wrote:Wiseman seems like he's destined to be a Cavalier. Well, maybe he's too tall for a typical Cavalier top-pick, but gotta like how he's barely played in College. Another raw high upside player.

Edwards would be another classic pick as it would allow us to double down on our athletic SG prospects and open the door for us to run lineups with 2 PGs and 2 SGs.

Fun!

Yeah the sad part is it's probablygoing to be another bad luck pick spot where they are over picking if picking for need in the front court and get pressured into picking another ball dominant guard.
Okongwu is growing on me but he's not the type of prospect I would take high lottery so if Wiseman is gone I expect they'll be looking at a long-term bpa regardless of position
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#49 » by JonFromVA » Wed Jan 29, 2020 5:04 pm

Stillwater wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:Wiseman seems like he's destined to be a Cavalier. Well, maybe he's too tall for a typical Cavalier top-pick, but gotta like how he's barely played in College. Another raw high upside player.

Fun!

Yeah the sad part is it's probablygoing to be another bad luck pick spot where they are over picking if picking for need in the front court and get pressured into picking another ball dominant guard.
Okongwu is growing on me but he's not the type of prospect I would take high lottery so if Wiseman is gone I expect they'll be looking at a long-term bpa regardless of position

Maybe we can petition the league to allow us to use another basketball or two ...
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#50 » by Stillwater » Wed Jan 29, 2020 5:07 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
Stillwater wrote:

Fun!

Maybe we can petition the league to allow us to use another basketball or two ...

I mean Edwards Anthony and Ball are currently projected in the 2-5 range
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#51 » by JonFromVA » Wed Jan 29, 2020 6:18 pm

Stillwater wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
Stillwater wrote:Yeah the sad part is it's probablygoing to be another bad luck pick spot where they are over picking if picking for need in the front court and get pressured into picking another ball dominant guard.

Understood, and if we could get an exception to play with 2 or 3 basketballs at a time rather than 1 - we just might be able to make it work having 3 or 4 ball dominant players on the floor at once.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#52 » by Stillwater » Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:43 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
Stillwater wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:

Understood, and if we could get an exception to play with 2 or 3 basketballs at a time rather than 1 - we just might be able to make it work having 3 or 4 ball dominant players on the floor at once.

yeah I got it the first time g
there are plenty of other position prospects that will have shown enough to justify going in the 5 -10 range but not 2-4. I mean they could trade down a few spots if a team really wants Cole Anthony and is willing to give up something like Dallas did for Luka.
gflem
Analyst
And1: 276

Post#53 » by gflem » Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:52 pm

At this point I am thinking Wiseman or bust. Nobody outside of KPJ and Garland (only because I don't have any idea what he is or will be) are off limits in regards to trading for draft assets. 8 days left to the deadline, I have been waiting for this all season. Hopefully we can get some kind of assets for the expiring contracts.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#54 » by Stillwater » Thu Jan 30, 2020 12:00 am

gflem wrote:At this point I am thinking Wiseman or bust. Nobody outside of KPJ and Garland (only because I don't have any idea what he is or will be) are off limits in regards to trading for draft assets. 8 days left to the deadline, I have been waiting for this all season. Hopefully we can get some kind of assets for the expiring contracts.

I'm not holding my breath on any assets being acquired at the dl besides some meh 2nds in 2025 or some sh.t
I hope they prove me incorrect.
It is not WIseman or bust at all, since none of the players they have drafted from Sexton to KPJ are sure fire keepers for a high achieving roster that can become a contender through the draft. I mean there are positives and glaring negatives about every single young player on the roster so far and it's way to soon to flip them and way to soon to go all in on them.
I think they could very easily USE the need of another org to get a pg in the high lottery as a tool to pick up another lottery pick by trading back 3-5 spots. that of course is assuming they are sitting at 3 overall and have not used the pick on Wiseman or Edwards and are faced with overpicking or trading down or God help us taking another score first guard. I mean even Edwards is also that guy but he is clearly big enough and exceptional enough to do it anyway.
gflem
Analyst

Post#55 » by gflem » Thu Jan 30, 2020 12:14 am

Stillwater wrote:
gflem wrote:At this point I am thinking Wiseman or bust. Nobody outside of KPJ and Garland (only because I don't have any idea what he is or will be) are off limits in regards to trading for draft assets. 8 days left to the deadline, I have been waiting for this all season. Hopefully we can get some kind of assets for the expiring contracts.

I'm not holding my breath on any assets being acquired at the dl besides some meh 2nds in 2025 or some sh.t
It is not WIseman or bust at all, since none of the players they have drafted from Sexton to KPJ are sure fire keepers for a high achieving roster that can become a contender through the draft. I mean there are positives and glaring negatives about every single young player on the roster so far and it's way to soon to flip them and way to soon to go all in on them.
I think they could very easily USE the need of another org to get a pg in the high lottery as a tool to pick up another lottery pick by trading back 3-5 spots. that of course is assuming they are sitting at 3 overall and have not used the pick on Wiseman or Edwards and are faced with overpicking or trading down or God help us taking another score first guard. I mean even Edwards is also that guy but he is clearly big enough and exceptional enough to do it anyway.

Well, my thoughts are if the team decides to go with Edwards it will add another guard/wing to what is at best an uncertain situation. Now, he may well be the best option available and would likely be the best player if added to the current group, but the roster is so unbalanced already that imo it would almost certainly create a need to move one of our young guards. Why not consider that now, and go possibily get an asset(s) that would allow you to get in position to draft Wiseman?
I know it is still early in the rebuild but getting a potential franchise type of big like Wiseman just really gets me excited about the possibilities, and would likely necessitate JB to run an actual NBA offensive system imo. And having a big that can actually protect the rim (and have an offense game as well) would be such a change here, it would almost be like a unicorn sighting.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#56 » by Stillwater » Thu Jan 30, 2020 12:27 am

gflem wrote:
Stillwater wrote:

Well, my thoughts are if the team decides to go with Edwards it will add another guard/wing to what is at best an uncertain situation. Now, he may well be the best option available and would likely be the best player if added to the current group, but the roster is so unbalanced already that imo it would almost certainly create a need to move one of our young guards. Why not consider that now, and go possibily get an asset(s) that would allow you to get in position to draft Wiseman?
I know it is still early in the rebuild but getting a potential franchise type of big like Wiseman just really gets me excited about the possibilities, and would likely necessitate JB to run an actual NBA offensive system imo. And having a big that can actually protect the rim (and have an offense game as well) would be such a change here, it would almost be like a unicorn sighting.

they have already proven they are the type of rebuild that takes the BPA and at #2 it's gotta be one of Edwards or Wiseman right now whichever didn't go 1st. It's too soon to give up on Garland even though his value might just continue to sink the longer they hold... and it's clear Sexton is going to keep working so there is no point in moving him until they have to if they have to.
KPJ imo is as close to keeper as any of them, but its just too soon.
Wiseman as good as he projects to be has never shown much as far as moving the basketball so theoretically despite being the highest ceiling right now he might not even be that high on their boards 4 months from now.
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#57 » by JonFromVA » Thu Jan 30, 2020 12:39 am

gflem wrote:
Stillwater wrote:

As long as your prepared for what might turn out to be a 5 year wait while a raw prospect like Wiseman learns how to actually defend. You know ... watching him block shots out of bounds, then the opponent burying a 3pter because he doesn't know how to defend the P&R, etc, etc.

And then after all that, maybe he turns out to be the next Drummond? At least we got to see Andre for an entire season at UCONN. A big part of why he didn't go #2 behind Davis like many had projected the year before wasn't just his free throw shooting, but because he seemed to drift at times. Seemed to lack a motor. Still does, but now Detroit is paying him $25M to see if he can become a franchise player. And what's truly nutty is he's still just 26 and someone will probably overpay him to see what he can do in a new situation.

There's something to be said for the Warriors approach of drafting players like Steph, Klay, and Draymond who somehow all managed to last 3+ years in the NCAA, and yet Draymond still took a couple of season before he started showing the kind of impact he was going to have.
gflem
Analyst

Post#58 » by gflem » Thu Jan 30, 2020 1:07 am

JonFromVA wrote:
gflem wrote:
Stillwater wrote:I'm not holding my breath on any assets being acquired at the dl besides some meh 2nds in 2025 or some sh.t
I hope they prove me incorrect..

As long as your prepared for what might turn out to be a 5 year wait while a raw prospect like Wiseman learns how to actually defend. You know ... watching him block shots out of bounds, then the opponent burying a 3pter because he doesn't know how to defend the P&R, etc, etc.
And then after all that, maybe he turns out to be the next Drummond? At least we got to see Andre for an entire season at UCONN. A big part of why he didn't go #2 behind Davis like many had projected the year before wasn't just his free throw shooting, but because he seemed to drift at times. Seemed to lack a motor. Still does, but now Detroit is paying him $25M to see if he can become a franchise player. And what's truly nutty is he's still just 26 and someone will probably overpay him to see what he can do in a new situation.
There's something to be said for the Warriors approach of drafting players like Steph, Klay, and Draymond who somehow all managed to last 3+ years in the NCAA, and yet Draymond still took a couple of season before he started showing the kind of impact he was going to have.

We are already in a 5 year rebuild imo. And there are questions about almost every one and done player coming to the NBA, so what would be different there? Very few are NBA ready in every facet of the game.
I get the Drummond thought, but I believe Wiseman will certainly be better offensively. There were questions about Steph, (athletecism, defense), Klay (weed), and Dramond (mostly attitude, size, outside shot) as well. The sample size was much larger with them but it is always a crapshoot as to whether a high frp will develop into the type of player that can carry a franchise, or if the money, lifestyle, pressure, attitude, schedule and or health issues will derail the plan. I guess that's why we have these discussions about floor/ceiling or drafting bpa versus fit and so on.
We could conceivably draft a player like Toppin, Avdija, if we end up at 5-10 in the draft and be happy it worked out that way, but I would be more willing to use whatever assets we can get to swing for the fences if you will, than to settle for a second tier player and then hope to get lucky in the 21 draft lottery.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#59 » by Stillwater » Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:42 am

This rosters biggest need is Windler being healthy, mobile elite athlete rim running center and a 3/4 high level defensive role player to guard teams with elite sf and pfs .
They will definitely be looking at Okongwu, Stewart and a few others later that fill that rim running shot blocking type.
They will also be looking at long athletic 3/4 types like Achiuwa , Watford and others
If Windler is not projecting positive vibes by the draft they easily justify seeking a replacement of his style and arsenal but would probably have to do it early
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#60 » by JonFromVA » Thu Jan 30, 2020 3:40 pm

gflem wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
gflem wrote:

We are already in a 5 year rebuild imo. And there are questions about almost every one and done player coming to the NBA, so what would be different there? Very few are NBA ready in every facet of the game.
I get the Drummond thought, but I believe Wiseman will certainly be better offensively. There were questions about Steph, (athletecism, defense), Klay (weed), and Dramond (mostly attitude, size, outside shot) as well. The sample size was much larger with them but it is always a crapshoot as to whether a high frp will develop into the type of player that can carry a franchise, or if the money, lifestyle, pressure, attitude, schedule and or health issues will derail the plan. I guess that's why we have these discussions about floor/ceiling or drafting bpa versus fit and so on.
We could conceivably draft a player like Toppin, Avdija, if we end up at 5-10 in the draft and be happy it worked out that way, but I would be more willing to use whatever assets we can get to swing for the fences if you will, than to settle for a second tier player and then hope to get lucky in the 21 draft lottery.

The key is our scouts and talent evaluation and that's still TBD with Koby and Beilein.

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers