Moderator: ijspeelman

JonFromVA
RealGM
And1: 4,390

Re: Cavaliers 2020 Draft Discussion. 

Post#161 » by JonFromVA » Mon Aug 3, 2020 9:55 pm

Stillwater wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
Stillwater wrote:I'd love to be optimistic but I just never am anymore, the lottery really was looking promising last season and instead not only did we pick at 5 we picked poorly. I mean even if the Cavs get lucky I am not confident at all they will make the best selection.
I would not be surprised if we hear Halliburton if we fall to 5 or 6 even if it means they are not trading Garland .
Not that Halliburton isnt a solid prospect...just not good options without moving Garland first.

Nothing to get stressed about this year. There's no LeBron in this draft that we're banking the franchise's future on, and there's not a thing we can do about the organization's talent evaluation other than hope they hit on some of these picks and can develop these players.

I'll get a good laugh if we draft another PG, but can't complain all that hard until we've actually identified someone that can actually play the position.

yeah its completly understandable if in fact they do draft a highly impactful pass first type but I am not sold any of the ones in this class with that skill set are worth a top 6 pick, And neither of the 2 guards they drafted in the lottery were or are that yet. But whoever it is has to be a defender otherwise Garland has to get traded he is the weakest link.
I am much more confident in Sexton at the 1 and have been good with it since they took him to develop into a legit lead guard type, but I have no problem with him in a score first role like he did most of the season if in fact somebody in this class really impresses the hell out of them as a floor general even after drafting 2 small combo guards.
I wouldnt though given Sexton has shown some pretty advanced growth in his understanding of when and where to pass the ball specifically on display in the short time under JB indicating to me he has already got the ability in his arsenol just hasnt done it long enough maybe , nor was he asked to given he was the most consistent scoring option on the court...But nothing would surprise me including them still hoping DG can be that type of guard despite lacking the speed athleticism etc to make up for his weakness and shooting woes.If DG is more than a 6th man long term I would be shocked at this point.

Obviously Garland has a lot to prove, but I don't see any problem with throwing away last season. He wasn't ready, and we were throwing minutes at him simply because we could (much like Sexton the year before). Unlike Sexton, he didn't even get the chance to close-out his rookie season strong due to injuries and Covid.

Darius didn't shoot at the level he was hyped up to be at, but he did shoot 35% on his 3pters and he showed the ability to get where needs to on the floor and see his teammates. He will get stronger, and he is working on counter-measures like his floater and pull-up-J and figuring out when and where to use them. He also looks to me like a "gamer" - someone who will step-up in big moments.

Our back-court defense was of course terrible, but that tends to be what you get when you play teenagers. Sexton and Garland will never be very tall, but they can become better defenders.

It would be nice if at least one of them could sustain an A/TO of over 2, though.
Stillwater
RealGM
And1: 3,655

Post#162 » by Stillwater » Mon Aug 3, 2020 10:11 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
Stillwater wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
Nothing to get stressed about this year. There's no LeBron in this draft that we're banking the franchise's future on, and there's not a thing we can do about the organization's talent evaluation other than hope they hit on some of these picks and can develop these players.

I'll get a good laugh if we draft another PG, but can't complain all that hard until we've actually identified someone that can actually play the position.

yeah its completly understandable if in fact they do draft a highly impactful pass first type but I am not sold any of the ones in this class with that skill set are worth a top 6 pick, And neither of the 2 guards they drafted in the lottery were or are that yet. But whoever it is has to be a defender otherwise Garland has to get traded he is the weakest link.
I am much more confident in Sexton at the 1 and have been good with it since they took him to develop into a legit lead guard type, but I have no problem with him in a score first role like he did most of the season if in fact somebody in this class really impresses the hell out of them as a floor general even after drafting 2 small combo guards.
I wouldnt though given Sexton has shown some pretty advanced growth in his understanding of when and where to pass the ball specifically on display in the short time under JB indicating to me he has already got the ability in his arsenol just hasnt done it long enough maybe , nor was he asked to given he was the most consistent scoring option on the court...But nothing would surprise me including them still hoping DG can be that type of guard despite lacking the speed athleticism etc to make up for his weakness and shooting woes.If DG is more than a 6th man long term I would be shocked at this point.

Obviously Garland has a lot to prove, but I don't see any problem with throwing away last season. He wasn't ready, and we were throwing minutes at him simply because we could (much like Sexton the year before). Unlike Sexton, he didn't even get the chance to close-out his rookie season strong due to injuries and Covid.

Darius didn't shoot at the level he was hyped up to be at, but he did shoot 35% on his 3pters and he showed the ability to get where needs to on the floor and see his teammates. He will get stronger, and he is working on counter-measures like his floater and pull-up-J and figuring out when and where to use them. He also looks to me like a "gamer" - someone who will step-up in big moments.

Our back-court defense was of course terrible, but that tends to be what you get when you play teenagers. Sexton and Garland will never be very tall, but they can become better defenders.

It would be nice if at least one of them could sustain an A/TO of over 2, though.

I dont have much confidence in DG being a floor general at all. he lacks the burst and his handle really wasnt as impressive as everyone was claiming. I do agree he will get better( he is a bust if he doesn't) but I also think there is a pretty good chance he will have to be traded to another roster to ever see the floor if they do in fact draft a pg in the lottery of this draft. I dont see DG ever effectively defending anything but other smaller 1 guards whereas at least Sexton can stay in front and use his speed.
Whatever the case may be they should draft a big in the lottery imo and maybe buy a pick with the rumors of many teams considering selling 1sts this time , and then they can get a guard prospect with fit in mind over upside.
You could add a lot of good pass first guards in the 20-30 range if this draft
SUNDOWN BRINGS A WELCOME CHANGE TO EVERYTHING THAT'S HIDING
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#163 » by Stillwater » Wed Aug 5, 2020 1:39 am

in this mock Cavs load up on front court prospects they probably somewhat unrealistically buy 2 more 1sts here but wth I'm bored
https://basketball.realgm.com/nba/draft/draft_simulator/view/701372/
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#164 » by JonFromVA » Wed Aug 5, 2020 3:50 pm

Too bad we traded away our own 2020 second round pick, and now we're going to have to send our next two to Atlanta to fulfill the Korver deal. Hopefully we'll be able to buy a pick or two to help keep the talent flowing in. I wonder if the price will go down this year with the supply presumably up or if we'll have to spend all we're permitted on a single pick ...
Revenged25
Analyst
And1: 1,002

Post#165 » by Revenged25 » Wed Aug 5, 2020 5:21 pm

JonFromVA wrote:Too bad we traded away our own 2020 second round pick, and now we're going to have to send our next two to Atlanta to fulfill the Korver deal. Hopefully we'll be able to buy a pick or two to help keep the talent flowing in. I wonder if the price will go down this year with the supply presumably up or if we'll have to spend all we're permitted on a single pick ...

I mean my ideal situation would find the Cavs with 3 1sts this year. Our top 2-3 pick to draft Wiseman, 2 picks between 15-22 to get Jaden McDaniels and Aleksej Pokusevski.

That would make our young core as:

G - Sexton/Garland
G/F - KPJ/Windler
F - McDaniels/Pokusevski
C-Wiseman
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#166 » by JonFromVA » Wed Aug 5, 2020 5:40 pm

Revenged25 wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:Too bad we traded away our own 2020 second round pick, and now we're going to have to send our next two to Atlanta to fulfill the Korver deal. Hopefully we'll be able to buy a pick or two to help keep the talent flowing in. I wonder if the price will go down this year with the supply presumably up or if we'll have to spend all we're permitted on a single pick ...

I mean my ideal situation would find the Cavs with 3 1sts this year. Our top 2-3 pick to draft Wiseman, 2 picks between 15-22 to get Jaden McDaniels and Aleksej Pokusevski.

G - Sexton/Garland
G/F - KPJ/Windler
F - McDaniels/Pokusevski
C-Wiseman

What do you like about McDaniels or Poksevski and how your group would compliment Sexton (eventually)?
Revenged25
Analyst

Post#167 » by Revenged25 » Wed Aug 5, 2020 6:21 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
Revenged25 wrote:

G - Sexton/Garland
G/F - KPJ/Windler
F - McDaniels/Pokusevski
C-Wiseman

What do you like about McDaniels or Poksevski and how your group would compliment Sexton (eventually)?

I like that McDaniels should be able to defend multiple positions, can disrupt passing lanes with his size and length, and provide weak-side help and alter/block shots well. He needs to become more efficient and consistent offensively, but he has the tools to do so. For Poku he has super high upside, good vision as a passer, really good shooting and ability to stretch the floor, good handles for his size and more. I think both players will probably need about 2 years of development before they really show what they can do in the NBA, Poku especially, much like players Isaac and Giannis.

How they would compliment Sexton, well McDaniels has the ability to provide weak side help defensively which improves the team that way while also being great in the open court offensively so would be a great fit with Sexton to run the court in a fast break. Poku would fill a similar role to Love in being able to stretch the floor offensively and have good passing, but will also provide the ability to run the floor better, though he might not be as good rebounding as he needs to improve his strength.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#168 » by Stillwater » Wed Aug 5, 2020 6:51 pm

Revenged25 wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
Revenged25 wrote:

G - Sexton/Garland
G/F - KPJ/Windler
F - McDaniels/Pokusevski
C-Wiseman

I like that McDaniels should be able to defend multiple positions, can disrupt passing lanes with his size and length, and provide weak-side help and alter/block shots well. He needs to become more efficient and consistent offensively, but he has the tools to do so. For Poku he has super high upside, good vision as a passer, really good shooting and ability to stretch the floor, good handles for his size and more. I think both players will probably need about 2 years of development before they really show what they can do in the NBA, Poku especially, much like players Isaac and Giannis.

How they would compliment Sexton, well McDaniels has the ability to provide weak side help defensively which improves the team that way while also being great in the open court offensively so would be a great fit with Sexton to run the court in a fast break. Poku would fill a similar role to Love in being able to stretch the floor offensively and have good passing, but will also provide the ability to run the floor better, though he might not be as good rebounding as he needs to improve his strength.

I think McDaniels in most drafts is a late first at best after such a poor one and done season but he could go higher in this one after a combine provided he shows well.Or a private workout but none of those seem likely to happen this time around. pw anyway...
I am not confident in the info of what his actual measurements are because there have been some that were ridicuous like a 7'6" ws ( that is actually more likely teammates Stewarts ws)I think he is more than likely a very slow project type like Ingram that will never have the strength to play in the paint effectively but if he is in fact that long I would take a flier on him developing into a Ingram light.
Dont know much about Pok but its probably not the best option if Smith or Oturu are available. The issue I have with Pok is he is extremely skinny and even though he is skilled offensively like Skal was I doubt he will actually play in the NBA for a couple of years
Revenged25
Analyst

Post#169 » by Revenged25 » Wed Aug 5, 2020 7:03 pm

Stillwater wrote:
Revenged25 wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:

I think McDaniels in most drafts is a late first at best after such a poor one and done season but he could go higher in this one after a combine provided he shows well.Or a private workout but none of those seem likely to happen this time around. pw anyway...
I am not confident in the info of what his actual measurements are because there have been some that were ridicuous like a 7'6" ws ( that is actually more likely teammates Stewarts ws)I think he is more than likely a very slow project type like Ingram that will never have the strength to play in the paint effectively but if he is in fact that long I would take a flier on him developing into a Ingram light.
Dont know much about Pok but its probably not the best option if Smith or Oturu are available. The issue I have with Pok is he is extremely skinny and even though he is skilled offensively like Skal was I doubt he will actually play in the NBA for a couple of years

I think if McDaniels even has 7'-7'2 wingspan then it's fine. For Poku, yeah he's hard to pin down on him. He's a guy you would probably need to draft higher than you would like due to his current skillset being a rotation stretch 4 but his ceiling could be that of an MVP considering his tools. I think Poku will end up going in the 15-26 range and I think McDaniels is probably more of a 20-28 range. Also I think since we are rebuilding from the ground up, letting Poku come along slowly and work on gaining strength for 2 years would be fine. Even Giannis took 2 years before he even looked like a real starter in the NBA.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#170 » by Stillwater » Wed Aug 5, 2020 7:12 pm

Revenged25 wrote:
Stillwater wrote:
Revenged25 wrote:

I think if McDaniels even has 7'-7'2 wingspan then it's fine. For Poku, yeah he's hard to pin down on him. He's a guy you would probably need to draft higher than you would like due to his current skillset being a rotation stretch 4 but his ceiling could be that of an MVP considering his tools. I think Poku will end up going in the 15-26 range and I think McDaniels is probably more of a 20-28 range. Also I think since we are rebuilding from the ground up, letting Poku come along slowly and work on gaining strength for 2 years would be fine. Even Giannis took 2 years before he even looked like a real starter in the NBA.

Poko after McDaniels imo is redundant because neither are strong enough to play in the paint at the 4 as is. I mean look closer at some of the pics of McDaniels not the film, he really does not have a frame that suggests he can add much strength at all. Pok could but I mean hes listed at 7' 200lbs. & thats probably being generous = really really weak for a NBA big so he would have to play on the perimeter, which I guess if you think he can is worth a flier late first but it is not for the purposes of playing the 4.
RIght now JM is listed as having a 6'11 ws at WAS but had a 7'6" ws in HS lol take your pick.
Pok has 7'3 ws supposedly and is a better player right now so between the two I would take Pok if I wanted a long term development piece.
It is my opinion they should take a super high floor prospect in Okongwu , but most teams opt for the low floor high ceiling boom bust WIseman type so you have to assume the Cavs fo will as well if available.
Who they get early should everything to do with seaking to get another first.
They can take a flier on a Pok or McD late first if they took a high floor prospect early and if they gamble on WIseman they need to take a more proven big and or wing defender later
Revenged25
Analyst

Post#171 » by Revenged25 » Wed Aug 5, 2020 7:43 pm

Stillwater wrote:
Revenged25 wrote:
Stillwater wrote:I think McDaniels in most drafts is a late first at best after such a poor one and done season but he could go higher in this one after a combine provided he shows well.Or a private workout but none of those seem likely to happen this time around. pw anyway...

Poko after McDaniels imo is redundant because neither are strong enough to play in the paint at the 4 as is. I mean look closer at some of the pics of McDaniels not the film, he really does not have a frame that suggests he can add much strength at all. Pok could but I mean hes listed at 7' 200lbs. & thats probably being generous = really really weak for a NBA big so he would have to play on the perimeter, which I guess if you think he can is worth a flier late first but it is not for the purposes of playing the 4.
RIght now JM is listed as having a 6'11 ws at WAS but had a 7'6" ws in HS lol take your pick.
Pok has 7'3 ws supposedly and is a better player right now so between the two I would take Pok if I wanted a long term development piece.
It is my opinion they should take a super high floor prospect in Okongwu , but most teams opt for the low floor high ceiling boom bust WIseman type so you have to assume the Cavs fo will as well if available.
Who they get early should everything to do with seaking to get another first.
They can take a flier on a Pok or McD late first if they took a high floor prospect early and if they gamble on WIseman they need to take a more proven big and or wing defender later

If I had to choose between Pok and McD, I'd take Pok as well. But I don't actually want McDaniels to play in the paint often and think of him more as being a wing defender, or do you not think he could handle that?

I would want Pok to be the 4, which he would definitely need to use the 2 years he'd be sitting behind Love to put on some weight and strength, though eh could probably get away with using his length defensively early on, though it still won't be pretty for any long stretch of time due to a lack of strength in the post up game.

If we can acquire additional first(s) it depends on where the pick(s) are, who is available, and what it cost us to decide what I would do with them. But the one thing I do know is, with the way our roster is currently constructed I would have no problem picking 3 high ceiling players since we don't actually have a true star player on the roster, though I probably would pass on any guard not named Edwards.
Revenged25
Analyst

Post#172 » by Revenged25 » Tue Aug 18, 2020 11:32 pm

2 more days till the Lottery! Really can't wait till this is over and we can get a better idea of what options might be available for the Cavs.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#173 » by Stillwater » Wed Aug 19, 2020 3:04 am

Revenged25 wrote:2 more days till the Lottery! Really can't wait till this is over and we can get a better idea of what options might be available for the Cavs.

yep, thursday at 830 I think .
with only 14% odds again I dont like our odds to be in the top 2. this new % really makes it too easy for any lottery team to get a top 4 pick and in fact hurts the worst teams that are not tanking but just plain lack elite players.
gflem
Analyst
And1: 276

Post#174 » by gflem » Wed Aug 19, 2020 8:16 pm

Stillwater wrote:
Revenged25 wrote:2 more days till the Lottery! Really can't wait till this is over and we can get a better idea of what options might be available for the Cavs.

with only 14% odds again I dont like our odds to be in the top 2. this new % really makes it too easy for any lottery team to get a top 4 pick and in fact hurts the worst teams that are not tanking but just plain lack elite players.

Yeah. Just "gotta trust the process".
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#175 » by Stillwater » Wed Aug 19, 2020 8:26 pm

gflem wrote:
Stillwater wrote:

I trust the doughnut maker in the 711 to not sneeze more than I trust the scouting dept of the Cavs
gflem
Analyst
And1: 276

Post#176 » by gflem » Wed Aug 19, 2020 8:29 pm

Stillwater wrote:
gflem wrote:
Stillwater wrote:yep, thursday at 830 I think .

I trust the doughnut maker in the 711 to not sneeze more than I trust the scouting dept of the Cavs

Yeah, I feel you on the scouting dept. I was more alluding to the Sixers six year tank job being the impetus for changing the lottery process.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#177 » by Stillwater » Wed Aug 19, 2020 8:31 pm

gflem wrote:
Stillwater wrote:
gflem wrote:Yeah. Just "gotta trust the process".

Yeah, I feel you on the scouting dept. I was more alluding to the Sixers six year tank job being the impetus for changing the lottery process.

got it now right over my head sheesh...
I need to get the f out of this place for awhile , the blue light is killing my brain cells lol
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#178 » by JonFromVA » Fri Aug 21, 2020 6:06 pm

gflem wrote:
Stillwater wrote:
gflem wrote:Yeah. Just "gotta trust the process".

The Cavs of course contributed to the demise of the old lottery system as well with our 3 #1 picks in 4 years.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#179 » by Stillwater » Fri Aug 21, 2020 7:02 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
gflem wrote:
Stillwater wrote:I trust the doughnut maker in the 711 to not sneeze more than I trust the scouting dept of the Cavs

The Cavs of course contributed to the demise of the old lottery system as well with our 3 #1 picks in 4 years.

Lottery reform isnt working because teams that tank still got the first and 2nd pick and teams that suck got 5th and 6th.
tundraknight
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,925

Post#180 » by tundraknight » Fri Aug 21, 2020 10:14 pm

I’m just sad because I really wanted Wiseman.

It will just be a hard pill for me to swallow if the Warriors select Wiseman and he ends up as the next generational center.

But I will say I’ll be very content with Okongwu. He’s a beast. Just a little undersized.

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers