ImageImageImage

Cavaliers 2020 Draft Discussion.

Moderator: ijspeelman

JonFromVA
RealGM
And1: 4,381

Re: Cavaliers 2020 Draft Discussion. 

Post#21 » by JonFromVA » Wed Dec 11, 2019 3:53 pm

Maybe LaMelo is the most talented Ball, but dude dropped out of high-school, skipped playing in the NCAA, is currently injured in Australia, plays PG, and his Dad would turn the Cavs in to a circus.

But hey, maybe we can start a new trend and start 5 PGs ... *sigh*
tundraknight
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,915

Post#22 » by tundraknight » Sun Dec 15, 2019 7:24 am

If the Cavaliers miss out on Wiseman and continue a long rebuild, these are some players I’ll have my eye on in the following Draft and beyond.

Has the Elite physical profile that makes GMs jaws drop.

Reminds me of a KG/AD type of player.

And the GRAND PRIZE who people are saying is the next GENERATIONAL Wing, Emoni Bates. He could be eligible as early as the 2022 Draft.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,128

Post#23 » by jbk1234 » Mon Dec 16, 2019 2:14 am

No one on the roster should stop us from drafting BPA. That said, I'd have to be really, really sold on another guard and he'd have to be tall enough to guard multiple positions.

If it were close, I'd lean towards selecting a SF or rim protector.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using RealGM mobile app
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
Stillwater
RealGM
And1: 3,655

Post#24 » by Stillwater » Mon Dec 16, 2019 5:46 am

jbk1234 wrote:No one on the roster should stop us from drafting BPA. That said, I'd have to be really, really sold on another guard and he'd have to be tall enough to guard multiple positions.

yeah i mean i guess the soph halliburton would be a potential bpa around pick 9 but im not seeing any 1and done guards being so much better 2 way players than anyone on the roster outside of Edwards as a high lottery bpa and even he has a lot of flaws defensively to be the bpa at 2 or 3...i would swing for fences on either Wiseman or one of the kids at Washington at this stage and theyd probably be bpa forwards
SUNDOWN BRINGS A WELCOME CHANGE TO EVERYTHING THAT'S HIDING
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#25 » by Stillwater » Mon Dec 16, 2019 3:29 pm

my top 5 non guard list for cavs right now :
Wiseman
McDaniels
Achiwa
Stewart
J Smith
if they dont like dome of those forwards that high and if they move on from one of Sexton or Garland then i could see guard like Edwards, Anthony,Haliburton or Agbaji
getting serious looks in the top 10 for us.
my expectation is outside of Wiseman at 1 or 2
they go sf or pf at 4-7 but might be tempted to trade down from 2-3 to 4-7 with the possibility of getting more picks . that is the one good thing about having Sexton KPJ and Garland already if they are still high on all 3 by next summer, then theyll get a lot of calls teams wanting Edwards and Anthony
Revenged25
Analyst
And1: 1,002

Post#26 » by Revenged25 » Mon Dec 16, 2019 4:35 pm

Stillwater wrote:my top 5 non guard list for cavs right now :
Wiseman
McDaniels
Achiwa
Stewart
J Smith
if they dont like dome of those forwards that high and if they move on from one of Sexton or Garland then i could see guard like Edwards, Anthony,Haliburton or Agbaji
they go sf or pf at 4-7 but might be tempted to trade down from 2-3 to 4-7 with the possibility of getting more picks . that is the one good thing about having Sexton KPJ and Garland already if they are still high on all 3 by next summer, then theyll get a lot of calls teams wanting Edwards and Anthony

Not a fan of Avdija?
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#27 » by Stillwater » Mon Dec 16, 2019 7:14 pm

Revenged25 wrote:
Wiseman
McDaniels
Achiwa
Stewart
J Smith

Not a fan of Avdija?

maybe , but this org does not seem interested in drafting intl prospects in the lottery. I mean they might scout them might even like them as a good fit, but probably won't pick them over someone here. unless he is clearly far and above the better option at that point in the draft. I mean at 7-10 I could see them reaching on a Toppin or Aaron Henry over Deni.
Revenged25
Analyst

Post#28 » by Revenged25 » Mon Dec 16, 2019 8:01 pm

[url][/url]
Stillwater wrote:
Revenged25 wrote:
Wiseman
McDaniels
Achiwa
Stewart
J Smith

Not a fan of Avdija?

maybe , but this org does not seem interested in drafting intl prospects in the lottery. I mean they might scout them might even like them as a good fit, but probably won't pick them over someone here. unless he is clearly far and above the better option at that point in the draft. I mean at 7-10 I could see them reaching on a Toppin or Aaron Henry over Deni.

I hope they don't make that mistake, though I'm not sure how often Altman himself actually scouts international players, but it appears that he's seen Avdija play personally this season.

https://www.jpost.com/Israel-News/Sports/Deni-Avdija-poised-to-take-big-step-up-610804
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#29 » by Stillwater » Fri Dec 20, 2019 4:21 am

https://basketball.realgm.com/nba/draft/draft_simulator/view/633971/
6months away but here's my first lotto mock
Jaden is in the mold of a j Isaac type modern 3/4
I would think would be a pretty high Target for us if draft was today...
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#30 » by Stillwater » Fri Dec 20, 2019 5:22 pm

Here are some names that are under most radars to watch as potential CLE role player targets maybe could be late first early 2nd steals.followed by some takes on why out of scouting focus in ()
some may work themselves into lottery consideration as well given the draft is a long ways out but should be there later...
Onyeka Okongwu f/c USC 6'9" 250 avg 18/9 with impressive 3 blocks per.( not a floor stretcher at all but shoots 71% at the charity stripe)
Aaron Nesmith sg/sf Vandy 6'7" 220- shooting 47% from 3 on 8 attempts per already has 224 points in 344 minutes played this season.( not an elite athlete but nba level average)
Paul Reed 3/4 DePaul 6'8" 210 one of the best defenders in college basketball this season ( needs to become a better outside threat)
Nahziah Carter sg/sf WAS 6'6" 210 - the human highlight is actually developing skills as a basketball player beyond just shear hops.( stats are padded some in heavier usage, but numbers are decent in most areas)
Jeremiah Robinson-Earl pf Nova 6'8" 230 solid defender solid above avg role player( nothing right now that suggests ever be more than a role player/ probably a 3-4 year college player)
LivingLegend
Head Coach
And1: 7,745

Post#31 » by LivingLegend » Fri Dec 20, 2019 9:52 pm

jbk1234 wrote:No one on the roster should stop us from drafting BPA. That said, I'd have to be really, really sold on another guard and he'd have to be tall enough to guard multiple positions.

Not familer with the prospects. Is there a Rudy Gobert/Jarett Allen type projected in the top 5-7 of this class? Rim running big man who can protect the paint and finish lobs around the rim type?

Also seeing a lot of this Jaden McDaniels fellow as a top tier wing player behind Edwards. Everthing says he is long, plays defense and can shoot..sign me up
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,493

Post#32 » by Jamaaliver » Tue Dec 24, 2019 6:34 pm

Spoiler:
5. Cleveland Cavaliers: Onyeka Okongwu (USC, C, Freshman)

Key stats: 17.7 PTS, 9.0 REB, 3.2 BLK, 62.4 FG%

Unless the Cleveland Cavaliers are ready to give up on a Darius Garland-Collin Sexton backcourt, the front office could be drawn to Onyeka Okongwu.

Kevin Love also seems unlikely to stick in Cleveland much longer. Averaging 17.7 points and 9.0 rebounds per game with a 12.0 block percentage, Okongwu has flashed both scoring and defensive potential.

Though raw offensively, he's delivering advanced post moves with a soft touch using both hands while shooting 62.4 percent from the field.

At No. 5, Okongwu's floor may be equally attractive as his ceiling. At worst, his tools, athleticism and motor should help the Cavaliers feel confident they're getting a high-energy center, good for easy baskets and disruptive defense, even if his skill development plateaus early.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#33 » by Stillwater » Tue Dec 24, 2019 6:46 pm

I like Okongwu right now in the mid-late first range not in the lottery, but his play all season could change that where he does go higher as the long game upside prospect. Nnaji is in the same boat as Okongwu imo.
I am more impressed with Jaden McDaniels and his teammate Isaiah Stewart with both being more likely lottery pick considerable options for us if Wiseman is off the board and possibly even if he is still available.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#34 » by Stillwater » Thu Dec 26, 2019 2:34 am

Here is my first example of a full mock 2020 with all picks as they would be by record without lottery movement but does account for current draft rights :https://basketball.realgm.com/nba/draft/draft_simulator/view/634666/
Revenged25
Analyst

Post#35 » by Revenged25 » Thu Dec 26, 2019 3:59 am

Stillwater wrote:Here is my first example of a full mock 2020 with all picks as they would be by record without lottery movement but does account for current draft rights :https://basketball.realgm.com/nba/draft/draft_simulator/view/634666/

Deni won't fall out of the top 10, someone will trade up for him. I also would rather teh Cavs take him.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#36 » by Stillwater » Thu Dec 26, 2019 4:19 am

Revenged25 wrote:
Stillwater wrote:Here is my first example of a full mock 2020 with all picks as they would be by record without lottery movement but does account for current draft rights :https://basketball.realgm.com/nba/draft/draft_simulator/view/634666/

Deni won't fall out of the top 10, someone will trade up for him. I also would rather teh Cavs take him.

Why ? I am not sure he's even top 20 lock right now. He is not an above the rim prospect and is terrible finishing at the rim hence the guard label despite the size of a 3. I do see a nice form on his j and seems to have a solid transition game but not enough for me to draft him in the top 10 it's not like he's tearing it up in the box score for Maccabi either
Revenged25
Analyst

Post#37 » by Revenged25 » Thu Dec 26, 2019 4:37 am

Stillwater wrote:
Revenged25 wrote:

Why ? I am not sure he's even top 20 lock right now. He is not an above the rim prospect and is terrible finishing at the rim hence the guard label despite the size of a 3. I do see a nice form on his j and seems to have a solid transition game but not enough for me to draft him in the top 10 it's not like he's tearing it up in the box score for Maccabi either

I mean if we are just going by boxscores, we should pull the plug on Garland already. We all know Euro leagues value different skills/priorities over the NBA, not to mention plenty of extremely talented international players that play well in the NBA got little to no play in Euro due to them preferring experience over talent.

For example, Giannis only averaged 12.2 ppg, 1 apg, 2.1 rpg in 21.1 mpg in the Greek league before getting drafted. Do you think 12.2/2.1/1 would've been considered tearing it up in the box score for Filathlitikos? If we look at his skillset in settings that are more closely related to what he would do in the NBA, such as the U16 and U20 teams that he led and dominated on, we would see someone that would be more closely resembling Doncic-lite. He's a point-forward with good defensive fundamentals and a good J. He might not be an above the rim player, but I think he could be the star level player when given the chance to let his skills shine.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#38 » by Stillwater » Thu Dec 26, 2019 5:42 am

Revenged25 wrote:
Stillwater wrote:
Revenged25 wrote:

I mean if we are just going by boxscores, we should pull the plug on Garland already. We all know Euro leagues value different skills/priorities over the NBA, not to mention plenty of extremely talented international players that play well in the NBA got little to no play in Euro due to them preferring experience over talent.

For example, Giannis only averaged 12.2 ppg, 1 apg, 2.1 rpg in 21.1 mpg in the Greek league before getting drafted. Do you think 12.2/2.1/1 would've been considered tearing it up in the box score for Filathlitikos? If we look at his skillset in settings that are more closely related to what he would do in the NBA, such as the U16 and U20 teams that he led and dominated on, we would see someone that would be more closely resembling Doncic-lite. He's a point-forward with good defensive fundamentals and a good J. He might not be an above the rim player, but I think he could be the star level player when given the chance to let his skills shine.

I get it,and the box score comment I made was valid as it pertains to intl prospects in the lottery so unless a prospect is built like KP or Sekou or Gianni's they'll need to be putting up Luka level numbers over there or this org ain't gonna over think it even if another org does...He could become what you say and is probably going to be a better shooting version of Cedi but a step down from Cedi defensively and athleticIy I mean Cedi was a more proven point forward and we got him early 2nd.
I want Mcdaniels if Wiseman is gone. That could change since he's still raw in a few areas of his game for his ranking. I also like his teammate Stewart a little later.
The problem with the top of this class is it's mostly pgs. Figures
Revenged25
Analyst

Post#39 » by Revenged25 » Thu Dec 26, 2019 6:24 am

Stillwater wrote:
Revenged25 wrote:
Stillwater wrote:Why ? I am not sure he's even top 20 lock right now. He is not an above the rim prospect and is terrible finishing at the rim hence the guard label despite the size of a 3. I do see a nice form on his j and seems to have a solid transition game but not enough for me to draft him in the top 10 it's not like he's tearing it up in the box score for Maccabi either

I get it,and the box score comment I made was valid as it pertains to intl prospects in the lottery so unless a prospect is built like KP or Sekou or Gianni's they'll need to be putting up Luka level numbers over there or this org ain't gonna over think it even if another org does...He could become what you say and is probably going to be a better shooting version of Cedi but a step down from Cedi defensively and athleticIy I mean Cedi was a more proven point forward and we got him early 2nd.
I want Mcdaniels if Wiseman is gone. That could change since he's still raw in a few areas of his game for his ranking. I also like his teammate Stewart a little later.

I've seen several mocks that have McDaniels go in the later part of the 1st, probably due to him being raw as you are saying. So it could be possible that getting Deni and McDaniels isn't off the table.

Also Luka's international stats weren't great either. 12.8/5.7/5.0 in 24 mpg is hardly tearing up the box scores, at least for NBA stars. Maccabi is doing Deni a disservice and he'd be much better in the NBA than he is/would be in the Euroleagues. But you might be right and our FO will miss out on another top flight player due to some horrible scouting decisions, such as taking TT over Kawhi when both positions had holes that needed filled/upgraded.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#40 » by Stillwater » Thu Dec 26, 2019 12:15 pm

Revenged25 wrote:
Stillwater wrote:
Revenged25 wrote:

I've seen several mocks that have McDaniels go in the later part of the 1st, probably due to him being raw as you are saying. So it could be possible that getting Deni and McDaniels isn't off the table.

Also Luka's international stats weren't great either. 12.8/5.7/5.0 in 24 mpg is hardly tearing up the box scores, at least for NBA stars. Maccabi is doing Deni a disservice and he'd be much better in the NBA than he is/would be in the Euroleagues. But you might be right and our FO will miss out on another top flight player due to some horrible scouting decisions, such as taking TT over Kawhi when both positions had holes that needed filled/upgraded.

My take on Mcdaniels is only that he fits the mold of a long athletic 3/4 defender like a J Isaac that can space the floor has decent iq etc but is years away from his ceiling. My biggest thought on intl prospects in the lottery like your boy here is there is a huge and proven risk in taking project prospects who are playing professional overseas but can't emerge from the pack and don't make alerts pop up on scout wires. most taken that high fail without having a immediate impact skill to justify the pick over similar level prospects with higher ceilings that orgs are willing to wait for due to elite athleticism. Imo 75% of mocks right now are way off base as is the case with mine often too. But mocks are not the same as a big board either. I had Reddish in the 60s for example but mocked him late lottery . If this kid makes enough noise he could go top 10 but I am not seeing the same ceiling you are and don't think a 2/3 that can't finish in traffic other than fast breaks has much of a chance to make it unless he proves to be a korkmaz type shooter in practice settings

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers