ImageImageImage

Cavaliers 2020 Draft Discussion.

Moderator: jbk1234

jbk1234
Forum Mod - Cavs
Forum Mod - Cavs
Posts: 38,609
And1: 22,299
Joined: Dec 22, 2010
   

Re: Cavaliers 2020 Draft Discussion. 

Post#241 » by jbk1234 » Sun Sep 13, 2020 4:52 am

These Toppin rumors better be a smokescreen. There's really only a couple guys who would make me think the F.O. has no idea what it's doing and Toppin is one of them.

Also, I just read something about how we could pay TT more than the MLE because we have his Bird Rights. That better be Klutch trying to up offers from other teams.

Literally every report into what the Cavs F.O. is thinking scares me. Extending Drummond, re-signing TT, drafting Toppins? All this makes me think that the Beilein hire was the canary in the coal mine.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using RealGM mobile app
It is highly unlikely that the Cavs will agree with your Kevin Love evaluation for the purpose of a trade.
JonFromVA
Head Coach
Posts: 6,219
And1: 1,965
Joined: Dec 08, 2009
     

Re: Cavaliers 2020 Draft Discussion. 

Post#242 » by JonFromVA » Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:24 pm

Stillwater wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:
Stillwater wrote:Dude they are not trading LNJ so they can draft anyone in this draft lol

Probably not that's why I said totally hypothetical, but the original responder when I asked about the ideal made this reply.
If we wanted to move up to the #1 spot, only giving up Nance is a no brainer no matter how much we like him. He's a high value big that can back-up both PF and C for us, but moving up to #1 if there was someone they wanted it needs to be done.
None of us are the GMs for either teams. All we can do is speculate.It's fun to speculate. Nance and 5 is to me just about right. Doesn't favor either team much IMO. Most of the people on the Wolves board don't think Nance is worth the trade back. I disagree.
I think the Cavs have been doing Nance Dirty. He doesn't seem to get the respect from Cavs management that I think he's due.

He has been playing out of position a lot to cover for the lack of sf depth and he has done a decent job off the bench , but yes he should be a starter either next to Love or a heavy reserve back up to Love based on his overall defensive chops. I also love the passing ability which is what most who are not paying attn probably dont realize.
btw of course its hypothetical never thought it wasnt but imo their is absolute no chance they trade someone as good as he is on the deal he is to move up in this weak draft esp knowing his ties to the org are more than one generation


Crohn's disease is likely responsible for how Larry's minutes have been managed. If he has a good handle on it, maybe his minutes could be increased further? Not something he talks about.
KGdaBom
RealGM
Posts: 10,760
And1: 2,202
Joined: Jun 22, 2017
         

Re: Cavaliers 2020 Draft Discussion. 

Post#243 » by KGdaBom » Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:31 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
Stillwater wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:Probably not that's why I said totally hypothetical, but the original responder when I asked about the ideal made this reply.
If we wanted to move up to the #1 spot, only giving up Nance is a no brainer no matter how much we like him. He's a high value big that can back-up both PF and C for us, but moving up to #1 if there was someone they wanted it needs to be done.
None of us are the GMs for either teams. All we can do is speculate.It's fun to speculate. Nance and 5 is to me just about right. Doesn't favor either team much IMO. Most of the people on the Wolves board don't think Nance is worth the trade back. I disagree.
I think the Cavs have been doing Nance Dirty. He doesn't seem to get the respect from Cavs management that I think he's due.

He has been playing out of position a lot to cover for the lack of sf depth and he has done a decent job off the bench , but yes he should be a starter either next to Love or a heavy reserve back up to Love based on his overall defensive chops. I also love the passing ability which is what most who are not paying attn probably dont realize.
btw of course its hypothetical never thought it wasnt but imo their is absolute no chance they trade someone as good as he is on the deal he is to move up in this weak draft esp knowing his ties to the org are more than one generation


Crohn's disease is likely responsible for how Larry's minutes have been managed. If he has a good handle on it, maybe his minutes could be increased further? Not something he talks about.

Thanks. I wasn't aware of that.
JonFromVA
Head Coach
Posts: 6,219
And1: 1,965
Joined: Dec 08, 2009
     

Re: Cavaliers 2020 Draft Discussion. 

Post#244 » by JonFromVA » Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:38 pm

KGdaBom wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
Stillwater wrote:He has been playing out of position a lot to cover for the lack of sf depth and he has done a decent job off the bench , but yes he should be a starter either next to Love or a heavy reserve back up to Love based on his overall defensive chops. I also love the passing ability which is what most who are not paying attn probably dont realize.
btw of course its hypothetical never thought it wasnt but imo their is absolute no chance they trade someone as good as he is on the deal he is to move up in this weak draft esp knowing his ties to the org are more than one generation


Crohn's disease is likely responsible for how Larry's minutes have been managed. If he has a good handle on it, maybe his minutes could be increased further? Not something he talks about.

Thanks. I wasn't aware of that.


Yep, I don't think most Cavs fans were when we traded for him either even though he grew up in NE Ohio. Health information in the NBA is kept private unless the player chooses to make it public or it comes out for some reason or another.

And even when they do make us aware of them like Larry has and Kevin Love has, we'll probably never know the full extent of their struggles - unless they decide to write a book one day.
KGdaBom
RealGM
Posts: 10,760
And1: 2,202
Joined: Jun 22, 2017
         

Re: Cavaliers 2020 Draft Discussion. 

Post#245 » by KGdaBom » Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:51 pm

jbk1234 wrote:These Toppin rumors better be a smokescreen. There's really only a couple guys who would make me think the F.O. has no idea what it's doing and Toppin is one of them.

Also, I just read something about how we could pay TT more than the MLE because we have his Bird Rights. That better be Klutch trying to up offers from other teams.

Literally every report into what the Cavs F.O. is thinking scares me. Extending Drummond, re-signing TT, drafting Toppins? All this makes me think that the Beilein hire was the canary in the coal mine.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using RealGM mobile app

I like Toppin. Just not as much as I like Wiseman and Okongwu.
jbk1234
Forum Mod - Cavs
Forum Mod - Cavs
Posts: 38,609
And1: 22,299
Joined: Dec 22, 2010
   

Re: Cavaliers 2020 Draft Discussion. 

Post#246 » by jbk1234 » Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:01 pm

KGdaBom wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:These Toppin rumors better be a smokescreen. There's really only a couple guys who would make me think the F.O. has no idea what it's doing and Toppin is one of them.

Also, I just read something about how we could pay TT more than the MLE because we have his Bird Rights. That better be Klutch trying to up offers from other teams.

Literally every report into what the Cavs F.O. is thinking scares me. Extending Drummond, re-signing TT, drafting Toppins? All this makes me think that the Beilein hire was the canary in the coal mine.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using RealGM mobile app

I like Toppin. Just not as much as I like Wiseman and Okongwu.


I think the guy is going to be a poor man's Jabari Parker. He's this year's Rui IMO.
It is highly unlikely that the Cavs will agree with your Kevin Love evaluation for the purpose of a trade.
KGdaBom
RealGM
Posts: 10,760
And1: 2,202
Joined: Jun 22, 2017
         

Re: Cavaliers 2020 Draft Discussion. 

Post#247 » by KGdaBom » Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:40 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:These Toppin rumors better be a smokescreen. There's really only a couple guys who would make me think the F.O. has no idea what it's doing and Toppin is one of them.

Also, I just read something about how we could pay TT more than the MLE because we have his Bird Rights. That better be Klutch trying to up offers from other teams.

Literally every report into what the Cavs F.O. is thinking scares me. Extending Drummond, re-signing TT, drafting Toppins? All this makes me think that the Beilein hire was the canary in the coal mine.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using RealGM mobile app

I like Toppin. Just not as much as I like Wiseman and Okongwu.


I think the guy is going to be a poor man's Jabari Parker. He's this year's Rui IMO.

Rui had a pretty good year didn't he?
jbk1234
Forum Mod - Cavs
Forum Mod - Cavs
Posts: 38,609
And1: 22,299
Joined: Dec 22, 2010
   

Re: Cavaliers 2020 Draft Discussion. 

Post#248 » by jbk1234 » Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:42 pm

KGdaBom wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:I like Toppin. Just not as much as I like Wiseman and Okongwu.


I think the guy is going to be a poor man's Jabari Parker. He's this year's Rui IMO.

Rui had a pretty good year didn't he?


Here are his advanced numbers https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/h/hachiru01.html Also, like Toppin, he's already 22.
It is highly unlikely that the Cavs will agree with your Kevin Love evaluation for the purpose of a trade.
KGdaBom
RealGM
Posts: 10,760
And1: 2,202
Joined: Jun 22, 2017
         

Re: Cavaliers 2020 Draft Discussion. 

Post#249 » by KGdaBom » Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:01 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:
I think the guy is going to be a poor man's Jabari Parker. He's this year's Rui IMO.

Rui had a pretty good year didn't he?


Here are his advanced numbers https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/h/hachiru01.html Also, like Toppin, he's already 22.

Thanks for the link. He scored well, and rebounded OK. His A/TO was decent. He had horrible DRtg, but that was at least partially attributable to the team. Given my choice I'd take my chances with Toppin.
jbk1234
Forum Mod - Cavs
Forum Mod - Cavs
Posts: 38,609
And1: 22,299
Joined: Dec 22, 2010
   

Re: Cavaliers 2020 Draft Discussion. 

Post#250 » by jbk1234 » Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:57 am

KGdaBom wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:Rui had a pretty good year didn't he?


Here are his advanced numbers https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/h/hachiru01.html Also, like Toppin, he's already 22.

Thanks for the link. He scored well, and rebounded OK. His A/TO was decent. He had horrible DRtg, but that was at least partially attributable to the team. Given my choice I'd take my chances with Toppin.
My concern about his advanced numbers are that the guys playing in front and behind him weren't exactly all stars.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using RealGM mobile app
It is highly unlikely that the Cavs will agree with your Kevin Love evaluation for the purpose of a trade.
User avatar
gflem
Veteran
Posts: 2,837
And1: 200
Joined: Sep 11, 2004

Re: Cavaliers 2020 Draft Discussion. 

Post#251 » by gflem » Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:51 pm

Heard on the radio today that Dylan Windler has "no restrictions" at Cavs workouts. I really hope for the best for him and that he proves the Cavs right for drafting him. I sure there will be some Cavs fans that think we won't need to draft or acquire a wing player now. Sorry for the sarcasm.
Stillwater
RealGM
Posts: 12,836
And1: 3,238
Joined: Jun 15, 2017
   

Re: Cavaliers 2020 Draft Discussion. 

Post#252 » by Stillwater » Sat Sep 26, 2020 2:19 am

gflem wrote:Heard on the radio today that Dylan Windler has "no restrictions" at Cavs workouts. I really hope for the best for him and that he proves the Cavs right for drafting him. I sure there will be some Cavs fans that think we won't need to draft or acquire a wing player now. Sorry for the sarcasm.

Windler can definitely be a rotation player but I dont see starter unless he is knocking down shots from all over the floor not just from deep.
I dont think his presence will change their needs because he is not a high level defender which is what they need most on the wing and in the paint...Okongwu or Vassell are top targets if they keep pick imo
also saw that Sextons work ethic shows big time after gaining 15lbs during the lockout and that Garland is finally in shape whatever that means.
Thanks to isolation and becoming one with the darkness of self I have
now harnessed a semi- permanent hypnagogic state of consciousness
where the painted dream of the wayward soul is false reality bliss-
There's Mud in the moonshine- Stillwater
User avatar
gflem
Veteran
Posts: 2,837
And1: 200
Joined: Sep 11, 2004

Re: Cavaliers 2020 Draft Discussion. 

Post#253 » by gflem » Sat Sep 26, 2020 5:19 am

Stillwater wrote:
gflem wrote:Heard on the radio today that Dylan Windler has "no restrictions" at Cavs workouts. I really hope for the best for him and that he proves the Cavs right for drafting him. I sure there will be some Cavs fans that think we won't need to draft or acquire a wing player now. Sorry for the sarcasm.

Windler can definitely be a rotation player but I dont see starter unless he is knocking down shots from all over the floor not just from deep.
I dont think his presence will change their needs because he is not a high level defender which is what they need most on the wing and in the paint...Okongwu or Vassell are top targets if they keep pick imo
also saw that Sextons work ethic shows big time after gaining 15lbs during the lockout and that Garland is finally in shape whatever that means.

Thanks for not slamming me on the Windler sarcasm. I do hope he becomes a rotation player. Just trying to bring some conversation on the subject. If what you say about Sexton is real, I am looking forward to seeing him this upcoming season. From what I have read and heard he is a truly committed gym rat. I hope it rubs off on Garland, I know I have been a bit hard on Garland, he seems like a good guy but he really looks like he needs to bulk up from a defensive standpoint. Hopefully he has a better idea of what being an NBA player is all about, is healthy and shows why an NBA team drafted him #5.
JonFromVA
Head Coach
Posts: 6,219
And1: 1,965
Joined: Dec 08, 2009
     

Re: Cavaliers 2020 Draft Discussion. 

Post#254 » by JonFromVA » Sat Sep 26, 2020 3:54 pm

gflem wrote:
Stillwater wrote:
gflem wrote:Heard on the radio today that Dylan Windler has "no restrictions" at Cavs workouts. I really hope for the best for him and that he proves the Cavs right for drafting him. I sure there will be some Cavs fans that think we won't need to draft or acquire a wing player now. Sorry for the sarcasm.

Windler can definitely be a rotation player but I dont see starter unless he is knocking down shots from all over the floor not just from deep.
I dont think his presence will change their needs because he is not a high level defender which is what they need most on the wing and in the paint...Okongwu or Vassell are top targets if they keep pick imo
also saw that Sextons work ethic shows big time after gaining 15lbs during the lockout and that Garland is finally in shape whatever that means.

Thanks for not slamming me on the Windler sarcasm. I do hope he becomes a rotation player. Just trying to bring some conversation on the subject. If what you say about Sexton is real, I am looking forward to seeing him this upcoming season. From what I have read and heard he is a truly committed gym rat. I hope it rubs off on Garland, I know I have been a bit hard on Garland, he seems like a good guy but he really looks like he needs to bulk up from a defensive standpoint. Hopefully he has a better idea of what being an NBA player is all about, is healthy and shows why an NBA team drafted him #5.


I'd like to actually see Windler play ball before deciding what he can or can't be. I'd also point out he's only a year younger than Cedi, and if Cedi is ever going to break out and become something more than what we've seen ... it could happen.

Some news is getting out about our mini-bubble. Collin has reportedly added a lot of muscle and some weight, KPJ has also bulked up, and Garland has reportedly slimmed down. Too bad Darius hasn't completely transformed his body over the Summer, he'll likely still get pushed around easily, but at least he has a shot to start this season in basketball shape.

So, with the team interested in making the playoffs and with JBB in control, our new pick/picks? may actually have to compete and earn his minutes regardless of the position on the floor we draft. Or maybe we trade it for a player we can plug-in to the starting lineup.

And of course, in this day and age, I want players who can shoot and help space the floor. So, I'd personally have no problem starting Windler at SF or SG if he was shooting the 3pter significantly better than our other candidates. A rookie is unlikely to fix our defensive problems - more likely add to them - but JBB does have the option to break up our backcourt if he feels it's unworkable.

We'll see how things shake out, but if the Cavs are really interested in winning rather than throwing minutes at prospects; a lot more possibilities than we've seen could be on the table for both JBB and Altman.

Do I even need to bother to add?

For better or worse ...
Stillwater
RealGM
Posts: 12,836
And1: 3,238
Joined: Jun 15, 2017
   

Re: Cavaliers 2020 Draft Discussion. 

Post#255 » by Stillwater » Sat Sep 26, 2020 5:01 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
gflem wrote:
Stillwater wrote:Windler can definitely be a rotation player but I dont see starter unless he is knocking down shots from all over the floor not just from deep.
I dont think his presence will change their needs because he is not a high level defender which is what they need most on the wing and in the paint...Okongwu or Vassell are top targets if they keep pick imo
also saw that Sextons work ethic shows big time after gaining 15lbs during the lockout and that Garland is finally in shape whatever that means.

Thanks for not slamming me on the Windler sarcasm. I do hope he becomes a rotation player. Just trying to bring some conversation on the subject. If what you say about Sexton is real, I am looking forward to seeing him this upcoming season. From what I have read and heard he is a truly committed gym rat. I hope it rubs off on Garland, I know I have been a bit hard on Garland, he seems like a good guy but he really looks like he needs to bulk up from a defensive standpoint. Hopefully he has a better idea of what being an NBA player is all about, is healthy and shows why an NBA team drafted him #5.


I'd like to actually see Windler play ball before deciding what he can or can't be. I'd also point out he's only a year younger than Cedi, and if Cedi is ever going to break out and become something more than what we've seen ... it could happen.

Some news is getting out about our mini-bubble. Collin has reportedly added a lot of muscle and some weight, KPJ has also bulked up, and Garland has reportedly slimmed down. Too bad Darius hasn't completely transformed his body over the Summer, he'll likely still get pushed around easily, but at least he has a shot to start this season in basketball shape.

So, with the team interested in making the playoffs and with JBB in control, our new pick/picks? may actually have to compete and earn his minutes regardless of the position on the floor we draft. Or maybe we trade it for a player we can plug-in to the starting lineup.

And of course, in this day and age, I want players who can shoot and help space the floor. So, I'd personally have no problem starting Windler at SF or SG if he was shooting the 3pter significantly better than our other candidates. A rookie is unlikely to fix our defensive problems - more likely add to them - but JBB does have the option to break up our backcourt if he feels it's unworkable.

We'll see how things shake out, but if the Cavs are really interested in winning rather than throwing minutes at prospects; a lot more possibilities than we've seen could be on the table for both JBB and Altman.

Do I even need to bother to add?

For better or worse ...

I mean if there were any cant miss tier 1 superstar potential prospects they wouldn't factor any of those things into it but there isnt and Windler is not an elite defender which really should be the priority for a starter if they roll out the same small back court imo if they actually want to end the process of developing and tanking . Personally think its not realistic to believe this roster no matter who they add will be winning much next season its too soon without a lot of roster turnover.
Trying to win with what they have will only depend on if said young core players have turned it up.
I said before if the tank is over Okongwu or Vassell have the quickest transition 2 way floors i guess you could add Ball to that for his playmaking and potential defensively just from a high bbiq which is why i think they would want them for the Cavs.
Thanks to isolation and becoming one with the darkness of self I have
now harnessed a semi- permanent hypnagogic state of consciousness
where the painted dream of the wayward soul is false reality bliss-
There's Mud in the moonshine- Stillwater
User avatar
gflem
Veteran
Posts: 2,837
And1: 200
Joined: Sep 11, 2004

Re: Cavaliers 2020 Draft Discussion. 

Post#256 » by gflem » Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:05 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
gflem wrote:
Stillwater wrote:
I'd like to actually see Windler play ball before deciding what he can or can't be. I'd also point out he's only a year younger than Cedi, and if Cedi is ever going to break out and become something more than what we've seen ... it could happen.

Some news is getting out about our mini-bubble. Collin has reportedly added a lot of muscle and some weight, KPJ has also bulked up, and Garland has reportedly slimmed down. Too bad Darius hasn't completely transformed his body over the Summer, he'll likely still get pushed around easily, but at least he has a shot to start this season in basketball shape.

So, with the team interested in making the playoffs and with JBB in control, our new pick/picks? may actually have to compete and earn his minutes regardless of the position on the floor we draft. Or maybe we trade it for a player we can plug-in to the starting lineup.

And of course, in this day and age, I want players who can shoot and help space the floor. So, I'd personally have no problem starting Windler at SF or SG if he was shooting the 3pter significantly better than our other candidates. A rookie is unlikely to fix our defensive problems - more likely add to them - but JBB does have the option to break up our backcourt if he feels it's unworkable.

We'll see how things shake out, but if the Cavs are really interested in winning rather than throwing minutes at prospects; a lot more possibilities than we've seen could be on the table for both JBB and Altman.

Do I even need to bother to add?

For better or worse ...

In regard to the bolded, are we really there yet? I mean it is a possibility, but for me I just can't see moving the pick for anyone that is realistically available that would make much of a difference at this point. I agree a rookie isn't going to completely fix our defensive issues but there are a few that could certainly help. Sexton bulking up can also help as will a full season of Drummond in the paint. But will Drummond even be here for the full season? And if so I still don't think he will re-up with the Cavs.
My hope is that Wiseman drops and we somehow acquire another pick in the mid to late first or early second round. There are always some players with potential to be starter level or better found later in every draft and if the cost is low why not take a swing at finding one of those type of players?
JonFromVA
Head Coach
Posts: 6,219
And1: 1,965
Joined: Dec 08, 2009
     

Re: Cavaliers 2020 Draft Discussion. 

Post#257 » by JonFromVA » Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:55 pm

gflem wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
gflem wrote:

In regard to the bolded, are we really there yet? I mean it is a possibility, but for me I just can't see moving the pick for anyone that is realistically available that would make much of a difference at this point. I agree a rookie isn't going to completely fix our defensive issues but there are a few that could certainly help. Sexton bulking up can also help as will a full season of Drummond in the paint. But will Drummond even be here for the full season? And if so I still don't think he will re-up with the Cavs.
My hope is that Wiseman drops and we somehow acquire another pick in the mid to late first or early second round. There are always some players with potential to be starter level or better found later in every draft and if the cost is low why not take a swing at finding one of those type of players?


No, I don't think we're ready to be trading prospects for ready to plug in talent, but neither of us run the Cavs. lol

Of course, if we can trade for a player we like and trade back in the draft to get another player we like ... it's a no-brainer.

Given how bad our defense has been, I suppose there's a chance a rookie could improve it; but in general rookies are pretty clueless about NBA defenses and even vets often need a year or two in a system to start to grasp it.

Either way, defense is secondary in my book. Vassell should certainly be considered because he can shoot and has high defensive potential, but he's also going to get pushed around a lot unless/until he's able to build up his frame.
Revenged25
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,666
And1: 573
Joined: Jun 05, 2018
   

Re: Cavaliers 2020 Draft Discussion. 

Post#258 » by Revenged25 » Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:56 pm

Stillwater wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
gflem wrote:Thanks for not slamming me on the Windler sarcasm. I do hope he becomes a rotation player. Just trying to bring some conversation on the subject. If what you say about Sexton is real, I am looking forward to seeing him this upcoming season. From what I have read and heard he is a truly committed gym rat. I hope it rubs off on Garland, I know I have been a bit hard on Garland, he seems like a good guy but he really looks like he needs to bulk up from a defensive standpoint. Hopefully he has a better idea of what being an NBA player is all about, is healthy and shows why an NBA team drafted him #5.


I'd like to actually see Windler play ball before deciding what he can or can't be. I'd also point out he's only a year younger than Cedi, and if Cedi is ever going to break out and become something more than what we've seen ... it could happen.

Some news is getting out about our mini-bubble. Collin has reportedly added a lot of muscle and some weight, KPJ has also bulked up, and Garland has reportedly slimmed down. Too bad Darius hasn't completely transformed his body over the Summer, he'll likely still get pushed around easily, but at least he has a shot to start this season in basketball shape.

So, with the team interested in making the playoffs and with JBB in control, our new pick/picks? may actually have to compete and earn his minutes regardless of the position on the floor we draft. Or maybe we trade it for a player we can plug-in to the starting lineup.

And of course, in this day and age, I want players who can shoot and help space the floor. So, I'd personally have no problem starting Windler at SF or SG if he was shooting the 3pter significantly better than our other candidates. A rookie is unlikely to fix our defensive problems - more likely add to them - but JBB does have the option to break up our backcourt if he feels it's unworkable.

We'll see how things shake out, but if the Cavs are really interested in winning rather than throwing minutes at prospects; a lot more possibilities than we've seen could be on the table for both JBB and Altman.

Do I even need to bother to add?

For better or worse ...

I mean if there were any cant miss tier 1 superstar potential prospects they wouldn't factor any of those things into it but there isnt and Windler is not an elite defender which really should be the priority for a starter if they roll out the same small back court imo if they actually want to end the process of developing and tanking . Personally think its not realistic to believe this roster no matter who they add will be winning much next season its too soon without a lot of roster turnover.
Trying to win with what they have will only depend on if said young core players have turned it up.
I said before if the tank is over Okongwu or Vassell have the quickest transition 2 way floors i guess you could add Ball to that for his playmaking and potential defensively just from a high bbiq which is why i think they would want them for the Cavs.


I think Okoro would be on that list too. Although he needs to work on his shot we have no shortage of players that are willing to take them until he develops it and would be much more capable of defending the opponents best wing day 1 than Vassell.
JonFromVA
Head Coach
Posts: 6,219
And1: 1,965
Joined: Dec 08, 2009
     

Re: Cavaliers 2020 Draft Discussion. 

Post#259 » by JonFromVA » Sun Sep 27, 2020 1:51 am

Revenged25 wrote:
Stillwater wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
I'd like to actually see Windler play ball before deciding what he can or can't be. I'd also point out he's only a year younger than Cedi, and if Cedi is ever going to break out and become something more than what we've seen ... it could happen.

Some news is getting out about our mini-bubble. Collin has reportedly added a lot of muscle and some weight, KPJ has also bulked up, and Garland has reportedly slimmed down. Too bad Darius hasn't completely transformed his body over the Summer, he'll likely still get pushed around easily, but at least he has a shot to start this season in basketball shape.

So, with the team interested in making the playoffs and with JBB in control, our new pick/picks? may actually have to compete and earn his minutes regardless of the position on the floor we draft. Or maybe we trade it for a player we can plug-in to the starting lineup.

And of course, in this day and age, I want players who can shoot and help space the floor. So, I'd personally have no problem starting Windler at SF or SG if he was shooting the 3pter significantly better than our other candidates. A rookie is unlikely to fix our defensive problems - more likely add to them - but JBB does have the option to break up our backcourt if he feels it's unworkable.

We'll see how things shake out, but if the Cavs are really interested in winning rather than throwing minutes at prospects; a lot more possibilities than we've seen could be on the table for both JBB and Altman.

Do I even need to bother to add?

For better or worse ...

I mean if there were any cant miss tier 1 superstar potential prospects they wouldn't factor any of those things into it but there isnt and Windler is not an elite defender which really should be the priority for a starter if they roll out the same small back court imo if they actually want to end the process of developing and tanking . Personally think its not realistic to believe this roster no matter who they add will be winning much next season its too soon without a lot of roster turnover.
Trying to win with what they have will only depend on if said young core players have turned it up.
I said before if the tank is over Okongwu or Vassell have the quickest transition 2 way floors i guess you could add Ball to that for his playmaking and potential defensively just from a high bbiq which is why i think they would want them for the Cavs.


I think Okoro would be on that list too. Although he needs to work on his shot we have no shortage of players that are willing to take them until he develops it and would be much more capable of defending the opponents best wing day 1 than Vassell.


Absolutely I"m just hesitant to gamble on a player hoping he'll learn how to shoot. I'd prefer that was the given in this day and age.
Stillwater
RealGM
Posts: 12,836
And1: 3,238
Joined: Jun 15, 2017
   

Re: Cavaliers 2020 Draft Discussion. 

Post#260 » by Stillwater » Sun Sep 27, 2020 3:22 am

Vassell is not the athlete that Okoro is unfortunately so yeah he wont be defending any 4's but the reality is Okoro wont be much either probably and so wont be especially higher on most big boards not only due to the lack of long range shooting but also a lack of mid range shooting ability.
I think either one could be a target in a trade down for sure like 8th from NY if Okongwu is gone before 5 but if they take Okoro at 5 it would likely be because his slashing and above the rim finishing ability is possibly better than Edwards who is consistently ranked 1 or 2 in this draft class but there is no chance imo Vassell is the lesser defender at the positions he defends 1-3 just not the same level finisher and more likely nothing more than a role player initially that could easily step in and not be a liability on either end but not the flashy pick by any means
Thanks to isolation and becoming one with the darkness of self I have
now harnessed a semi- permanent hypnagogic state of consciousness
where the painted dream of the wayward soul is false reality bliss-
There's Mud in the moonshine- Stillwater

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers