ImageImageImage

2019/2020 Predictions

Moderator: ijspeelman

gflem
Analyst
And1: 276

2019/2020 Predictions 

Post#1 » by gflem » Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:12 pm

So I was curious about what people here thought about the upcoming season. Here are a few predictions as I see it:
I think the team will win between 15-20 games and keep their FRP currently owned by ATL top 10 protected, and depending on the trades upcoming we may well have the worst record in the NBA.
I believe that TT will be moved by the deadline, with a mid to late future first attached with a longer term contract of course.
Jordan Clarkson will also be moved by the DL with a similar return.
John Henson is 50/50 to be moved, and if so probably for a couple of seconds.
Kevin Love will likely be here for the season. If he is moved it will be for less than people here think, and for more than most others on RealGM think.
Garland will be in the running for ROY. IF he can stay reasonably healthy.
Windler will not be as good as some here think.
KPJ will take over Clarkson's role when he is traded. And be very up and down due to being so raw.
Cedi will not look much if any better than last season. And he has an outside chance of being moved.
Delly will not be traded this season.
Any thoughts, or other predictions?
Revenged25
Analyst
And1: 1,002

Re: 2019/2020 Predictions 

Post#2 » by Revenged25 » Thu Oct 24, 2019 1:22 am

gflem wrote:So I was curious about what people here thought about the upcoming season. Here are a few predictions as I see it:
I think the team will win between 15-20 games and keep their FRP currently owned by ATL top 10 protected, and depending on the trades upcoming we may well have the worst record in the NBA.
I believe that TT will be moved by the deadline, with a mid to late future first attached with a longer term contract of course.
Kevin Love will likely be here for the season. If he is moved it will be for less than people here think, and for more than most others on RealGM think.
KPJ will take over Clarkson's role when he is traded. And be very up and down due to being so raw.
Cedi will not look much if any better than last season. And he has an outside chance of being moved.

Pick is now owned by NOP, though I think they'll probably be closer to 20-25 wins than 15-20.
So are the Cavs attaching picks or are they bringing those picks back by taking on a long term deal for those players.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,465

Post#3 » by jbk1234 » Thu Oct 24, 2019 5:35 am

gflem wrote:So I was curious about what people here thought about the upcoming season. Here are a few predictions as I see it:
I'll be optimistic and say 25-30 wins. Bad teams always pick up a few meaningless wins in March and April.

I think TT probably gets dealt because he's good but overpaid and his contract is expiring. I don't think a late first from a playoff team is an outrageous ask.

I'm worried about Clarkson. His splits for last year didn't end well. His percentages, particularly his 3 point percentage dropped. He doesn't appear to be adjusting well to the new offense. It is not a good sign that Delly is running the offense for the second unit. It might take an injury to another team for us to get an offer.

I have no idea why we would move Cedi. We have no one else who is even a replacement level defender at the wing. We don't have a true backup SF. Even if you don't see him as a long-term starter, there's a good chance we can sign him to a reasonable contract this summer and use him as a second-unit guy. He's an RFA in a summer where less than a handful of teams have cap space.

The Cavs haven't had a rim protector in forever. I'd very much like to audition Henson in that role especially if we're open to moving TT.

As far as our picks, Garland has a long way to go. He doesn't appear to be able to make a timely entry pass due to over dribbling. His defense is garbage. He's not shooting on open 3s in catch and shoot situations. He's 19 and only played 4 games in college but he was drafted for his outside shooting and we need him to at least space the floor.

Windler can shoot and is 6'8 so I suspect he'll be a good bench player even if his defense is suspect. If Joe Harris can carve out a role in the NBA, so can Windler.

KPJ is raw as well and his shot is goofy but you can tell the kid is at least going to play hard.

It was only one game, but I'm a little worried that if opposing defenses continue to key on Love, and the other players either can't get him the ball, or can't hit enough shots to stop opposing teams from keying on him in that way, he's eventually going to ask out. That would be a bit of a disaster on a couple of levels.

Jury is out on the new coach and new system. I'm not opposed to having a system offense so long as that system has some flex in it to take advantage of certain matchups. The team defense was better than I feared tonight.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using RealGM mobile app
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
Stillwater
RealGM
And1: 3,655

Post#4 » by Stillwater » Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:52 pm

I think Beilein has his hands full as is since nobody is great defensively on this team besides Cedi and 1 of the 2-way contract players in Cook, but I think Sexton,Osman,Garland,KPJ,Windler,Zizic,Wade,Cook,and Love and to some degree Delly and McKinnie are or will be buying into the system all season(maybe JC unless he keeps playing him out of position or suddenly JC figures it out) but the excuse of a full makeover / and obvious need to retain their own pick buying them time for the seasons struggles up until the dl could at least keep a couple other vets like Nance,Henson and TT on board and allow them to not be a lr cancer in order to boost the value if still on the team at the dl esp the expiring deal ones.
Knight could be the odd man out for Beilein and I think will be a problem fairly soon if not already unless Beilein gives him some deserved run for trade value purposes(doubtful) and maybe JC gets disgruntled with his numbers down since he is not a sf
The only other thing I am concerned with is Cedi not improving offensively enough for him to stay in Beileins rotation
SUNDOWN BRINGS A WELCOME CHANGE TO EVERYTHING THAT'S HIDING
gflem
Analyst

Post#5 » by gflem » Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:23 am

Revenged25 wrote:

Pick is now owned by NOP, though I think they'll probably be closer to 20-25 wins than 15-20.
So are the Cavs attaching picks or are they bringing those picks back by taking on a long term deal for those players.

You're right on the pick, I forgot about that. And the Cavs would be receiving picks to take on any longer term salary.
gflem
Analyst

Post#6 » by gflem » Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:28 am

I have no idea why we would move Cedi. We have no one else who is even a replacement level defender at the wing. We don't have a true backup SF. Even if you don't see him as a long-term starter, there's a good chance we can sign him to a reasonable contract this summer and use him as a second-unit guy. He's an RFA in a summer where less than a handful of teams have cap space.
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using RealGM mobile app[/quote]

I realize we are not deep at the three currently, but added Cedi to my list due to the possibility that a team might value him enough to give up a decent return. Looks like you were right about signing him to a reasonable extension so obviously it isnt likely at all that he gets moved. I hope he can continue to improve because right now he is a rotation player at best imo.
gflem
Analyst

Post#7 » by gflem » Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:35 am

Stillwater wrote:I think Beilein has his hands full as is since nobody is great defensively on this team besides Cedi and 1 of the 2-way contract players in Cook, but I think Sexton,Osman,Garland,KPJ,Windler,Zizic,Wade,Cook,and Love and to some degree Delly and McKinnie are or will be buying into the system all season(maybe JC unless he keeps playing him out of position or suddenly JC figures it out) but the excuse of a full makeover / and obvious need to retain their own pick buying them time for the seasons struggles up until the dl could at least keep a couple other vets like Nance,Henson and TT on board and allow them to not be a lr cancer in order to boost the value if still on the team at the dl esp the expiring deal ones.
Knight could be the odd man out for Beilein and I think will be a problem fairly soon if not already unless Beilein gives him some deserved run for trade value purposes(doubtful) and maybe JC gets disgruntled with his numbers down since he is not a sf
The only other thing I am concerned with is Cedi not improving offensively enough for him to stay in Beileins rotation

I forgot to mention Knight, he didnt get a minute of pt the other night and that isnt going to sit too well if it is the norm. After hearing in camp about how "he was all the way back" and that he looked really good and all that it was a noticeable dnp to me.
I think he is a candidate to be bought out at some point, hopefully it doesnt go the JR route for him. I mean he is getting paid very well regardless if he plays or not, and from what I have read about him he has never been a problem wherever he has played.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#8 » by Stillwater » Fri Oct 25, 2019 10:56 am

gflem wrote:
Stillwater wrote:I think Beilein has his hands full as is since nobody is great defensively on this team besides Cedi and 1 of the 2-way contract players in Cook, but I think Sexton,Osman,Garland,KPJ,Windler,Zizic,Wade,Cook,and Love and to some degree Delly and McKinnie are or will be buying into the system all season(maybe JC unless he keeps playing him out of position or suddenly JC figures it out) but the excuse of a full makeover / and obvious need to retain their own pick buying them time for the seasons struggles up until the dl could at least keep a couple other vets like Nance,Henson and TT on board and allow them to not be a lr cancer in order to boost the value if still on the team at the dl esp the expiring deal ones.

I forgot to mention Knight, he didnt get a minute of pt the other night and that isnt going to sit too well if it is the norm. After hearing in camp about how "he was all the way back" and that he looked really good and all that it was a noticeable dnp to me.
I think he is a candidate to be bought out at some point, hopefully it doesnt go the JR route for him. I mean he is getting paid very well regardless if he plays or not, and from what I have read about him he has never been a problem wherever he has played.
definitely a buyout cand if never in rotation. he actually was good enough in tc to get shine but probably is a victim of too many guards in rebuild mode despite him being just as capable and in fact maybe too capable to take a 2nd unit gig (in his opinion)
he looked pathetically self absorbed and sulking
on the bench in the 2nd half when Beilein had more than ample need for a veteran guard out there but never called his number.
it just proves they are committed to Garland and Sexton for now anyway....but if the benching continues i think they try to move him to philly asap
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#9 » by Stillwater » Sun Oct 27, 2019 1:49 am

looks like some of the biggest problem with their expected poor defense was just lack of energy devoted to it. they are playing solid effort wise on both sides ...some lapses still falling asleep or raw lack of adjustment but otherwise looks promising..Henson is impressive and im very happy with Sextons hustle
JonFromVA
RealGM
And1: 4,436

Post#10 » by JonFromVA » Mon Oct 28, 2019 3:18 pm

I'm convinced their defensive problem was their defensive assistant. Things just got worse and worse under Longabardi.

Which isn't to say we won't get roasted by better teams ... it takes a while to rebuild a defense from scratch. Effort is just the start, and improvement is the name of the game.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,465

Post#11 » by jbk1234 » Mon Oct 28, 2019 8:52 pm

JonFromVA wrote:I'm convinced their defensive problem was their defensive assistant. Things just got worse and worse under Longabardi.

Which isn't to say we won't get roasted by better teams ... it takes a while to rebuild a defense from scratch. Effort is just the start, and improvement is the name of the game.
I read an interview with TT where he said that the new staff has really simplified the defense for the younger players and that they want to develop a firm grasp on the fundamentals and build out from that foundation. Basically, they'd rather do less initially, but establish a culture of being really good at what they do. I think that's the way to go.

You see some of that with Garland getting yanked out when he gets roasted. I don't see us having a *good* defense until this roster turns over a bit. But I like the idea of installing defense as part of the culture from the jump.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using RealGM mobile app
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
JonFromVA
RealGM
And1: 4,436

Post#12 » by JonFromVA » Mon Oct 28, 2019 11:01 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:I'm convinced their defensive problem was their defensive assistant. Things just got worse and worse under Longabardi.

I read an interview with TT where he said that the new staff has really simplified the defense for the younger players and that they want to develop a firm grasp on the fundamentals and build out from that foundation. Basically, they'd rather do less initially, but establish a culture of being really good at what they do. I think that's the way to go.

You see some of that with Garland getting yanked out when he gets roasted. I don't see us having a *good* defense until this roster turns over a bit. But I like the idea of installing defense as part of the culture from the jump.

Then compared to Lue and Longabardi ... Beilein and Bickerstaff are friggen geniuses, because it wasn't until we were down 2-0 to the Warriors in the 2016 FInals that Lue finally tossed aside Longabardi's defense and simplified everything. If we'd started simple, and slowly added the complex stuff, that wouldn't had been necessary; but Longabardi had their heads spinning with his concepts of adapting the defense on the fly to the action being run by the offense.

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers