jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,144

Re: Game 3: Cleveland Cavaliers (1-1) @ Milwaukee Bucks (1-1) - 8:00 PM 

Post#21 » by jbk1234 » Tue Oct 29, 2019 5:51 pm

Revenged25 wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:
I hope I'm wrong, but I don't see this as fixable without Garland going to the bench. We have yet to play a team with two good guards. Frankly, I think people make too much of 19-year old rookies starting from day one. Letting him get minutes on the second unit until the game slows down shouldn't be considered a sign of failure on anyone's part.

Oh I have nothing against moving Garland to coming off the bench, at least give it a try, maybe even put KPJ in the starting unit so we have a little more size at the 2 guard, I was just commenting on the idea that the Sexton/Garland, as well as Sexton/Garland/Love, pairing can't work as I took it as it will never work. I think teams with more length at guard will take advantage of them, but if they both put in the effort and start making the small steps to keep from giving up the easy baskets it could work, then it'll a trade off worth living with.

KPJ looks more raw than Garland to me. But yeah, the big issue is do you start Delly or Clarkson if you send Garland down because neither option is great.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
Revenged25
Analyst
And1: 1,002

Post#22 » by Revenged25 » Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:13 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
Revenged25 wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:
I hope I'm wrong, but I don't see this as fixable without Garland going to the bench. We have yet to play a team with two good guards. Frankly, I think people make too much of 19-year old rookies starting from day one. Letting him get minutes on the second unit until the game slows down shouldn't be considered a sign of failure on anyone's part.

Oh I have nothing against moving Garland to coming off the bench, at least give it a try, maybe even put KPJ in the starting unit so we have a little more size at the 2 guard, I was just commenting on the idea that the Sexton/Garland, as well as Sexton/Garland/Love, pairing can't work as I took it as it will never work. I think teams with more length at guard will take advantage of them, but if they both put in the effort and start making the small steps to keep from giving up the easy baskets it could work, then it'll a trade off worth living with.

KPJ looks more raw than Garland to me. But yeah, the big issue is do you start Delly or Clarkson if you send Garland down because neither option is great.

Which is probably why they are starting Garland. Neither Delly or Clarkson have really proven to be better than Garland and KPJ is also raw, but has better size to handle the 2 guard. The only other option is Knight maybe... but I don't know what they are doing with him.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#23 » by jbk1234 » Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:15 pm

Revenged25 wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:
Revenged25 wrote:

Which is probably why they are starting Garland. Neither Delly or Clarkson have really proven to be better than Garland and KPJ is also raw, but has better size to handle the 2 guard. The only other option is Knight maybe... but I don't know what they are doing with him.

They're both better defenders at this point. I'd probably go with Clarkson most nights. We should be auditioning him anyway.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
gflem
Analyst
And1: 276

Post#24 » by gflem » Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:02 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
Revenged25 wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:

I dont think they are worried if not starting Garland is a sign of failure, to me its that losing while he starts and gets experience is the plan. No need to mess with losing their pick in the 20 draft, they will be trading vets later in the season anyway so why not force feed him the minutes. Clearly, Brandon Knight starting over Garland would make the team better right now, but what would be the point?
gflem
Analyst
And1: 276

Post#25 » by gflem » Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:08 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
Revenged25 wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:

They're both better defenders at this point. I'd probably go with Clarkson most nights. We should be auditioning him anyway.

If we are auditioning Clarkson I would much rather leave him in the role he is comfortable in and excels at rather than possibly exposing him as someone who cant be an efficient starter. To me there is a possibility of lowering his value in a starting role.
I think we are all going to have to suck it up and deal with Garland and Sexton being worked over by bigger guards for the entirety of this season unless one of them is hurt or traded. I am much more interested in how Garland comes along offensively this season since I think there isnt much he is going to do in season about getting physically stronger which is something he will need to do before he can become even a decent on ball defender.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#26 » by jbk1234 » Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:08 pm

gflem wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:
Revenged25 wrote:

I dont think they are worried if not starting Garland is a sign of failure, to me its that losing while he starts and gets experience is the plan. No need to mess with losing their pick in the 20 draft, they will be trading vets later in the season anyway so why not force feed him the minutes. Clearly, Brandon Knight starting over Garland would make the team better right now, but what would be the point?

I think the starting unit's inability to defend will eventually prove demoralizing. It could lead to guys getting vocal and demanding trades. There's a difference between losing by 8 every night and losing by 20+. There's also something to be said for instilling the right culture from the moment someone puts on your jersey. I'm not talking about burying the kid on the bench, just having more balance in the rotations in terms of offense/defense.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
JonFromVA
RealGM
And1: 4,386

Post#27 » by JonFromVA » Tue Oct 29, 2019 11:12 pm

I think we should continue to start Garland. What we're lacking IMO is shooting. Without playing Wade, and with Windler still unavailable, we either need Garland, Sexton, and Love on the floor ... or else the other guys had better start shooting better.

Yes, DG's defense is poor, but to some extent it's self-correcting. For instance, against the Bucks he fouled himself right off the floor. So while adding strength & conditioning will help him defend in the long run, so will experience; but mostly it's his touch on offense we need.

At some point (like during a blowout) maybe Beilein will turn the kid loose for a bit and just let him see what he can do. He's taken just 9, 12, and 11 shots so far.

He's still playing his way in to game shape, though and we may be intentionally holding him back because of that and his knee.
Stillwater
RealGM
And1: 3,655

Post#28 » by Stillwater » Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:13 am

both rookies are having typical difficulties adjusting to the officiating in the NBA , I don't think they are struggling with the size or speed of the NBA at all though. They are making typical missed assignment defensive mistakes, and both are rarely shooting in any kind of rhythm so far hence the lack of good results.
I would give Garland at minimum another 15 games in the sl unless they have determined his problems are getting worse rather than improving , than at that point I would pull him sooner, call it a tweaked hip or something and bring him back on the 2nd unit after 5 games on the dl... KPJ needs to get out and run with Sexton some more imo
SUNDOWN BRINGS A WELCOME CHANGE TO EVERYTHING THAT'S HIDING
JonFromVA
RealGM
And1: 4,386

Post#29 » by JonFromVA » Wed Oct 30, 2019 6:27 pm

If we think feeding these guys minutes is actually harming their development, sure, back off ... but IMO this is the whole point of the season. Throw minutes at the young guys, and if they struggle to play winning basketball like most rooks ... enjoy that lottery pick ... but if they actually contribute to wins? Enjoy that.

As far as I'm concerned we're in a win-win situation ... as long as we manage to avoid a meltdown/revolt and demonstrate competency and improvement as the season goes along.

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers