Game 5: Cleveland Cavaliers (2-2) @ Indiana Pacers (1-3) - 7:00 PM ET 

Post#1 » by ducler » Fri Nov 1, 2019 9:56 pm

Read on Twitter
Stillwater
RealGM
And1: 3,655

Re: Game 5: Cleveland Cavaliers (2-2) @ Indiana Pacers (1-3) - 7:00 PM ET 

Post#2 » by Stillwater » Fri Nov 1, 2019 10:50 pm

turner out not that he was a factor in first mtg.
i like our chances if they come to play
SUNDOWN BRINGS A WELCOME CHANGE TO EVERYTHING THAT'S HIDING
Revenged25
Analyst
And1: 1,002

Post#3 » by Revenged25 » Fri Nov 1, 2019 11:38 pm

If they keep this up they're going to play themselves into an 8th seed...
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,156

Post#4 » by jbk1234 » Fri Nov 1, 2019 11:44 pm

If we're trying to trade Knight, this game isn't helping. Also, Clarkson is using that off arm a lot.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using RealGM mobile app
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
Revenged25
Analyst
And1: 1,002

Post#5 » by Revenged25 » Fri Nov 1, 2019 11:46 pm

My jinx came in just in time for Indiana to go for a run
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#6 » by jbk1234 » Fri Nov 1, 2019 11:47 pm

And there's the call and now a T. Get him off the floor.

cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#7 » by jbk1234 » Fri Nov 1, 2019 11:53 pm

Why our guards driving into multiple big men in the paint and trying to shoot over them?

cbosh4mvp wrote:
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#8 » by jbk1234 » Fri Nov 1, 2019 11:59 pm

This is the worst our offense has looked all season and it's not because of the Pacers defense.

Lots of overdribbling. That Knight, Clarkson, and Porter unit was awful but everyone has stop moving now.

cbosh4mvp wrote:
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#9 » by jbk1234 » Sat Nov 2, 2019 12:12 am

It's early on Garland but Delly still runs an offense better than the rest of the guards on the roster and that's just ridiculous.

cbosh4mvp wrote:
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#10 » by jbk1234 » Sat Nov 2, 2019 12:38 am

Just awful guard play this game.

cbosh4mvp wrote:
tugs
RealGM
And1: 2,926

Post#11 » by tugs » Sat Nov 2, 2019 1:31 am

Sexton's shot selection in the clutch starts to annoy me
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#12 » by jbk1234 » Sat Nov 2, 2019 1:51 am

Just a bad game. Love was lackadaisical and the game was too close for that garbage in the 4th. Is he the leader of this team or has he already had enough of playing with young guys? TT was ineffective.

The guard play was bad until the last couple minutes. Garland was zero forever and he's still not taking enough threes. Sexton still dribbles himself into trouble and overdribbles to the point of disrupting the offense. Clarkson doesn't want to run the offense and plays buddy ball.

Cedi, Nance, and TT are really the only guys who play with the correct effort the entire game. I would've thought we were on the second night of a back to back. There were also signs of guys getting annoyed with each other. Forcing bad shots and not making the easy pass when a teammate was open. Film session should be fun.

cbosh4mvp wrote:
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#13 » by Stillwater » Sat Nov 2, 2019 3:32 am

jbk1234 wrote:Just a bad game. Love was lackadaisical and the game was too close for that garbage in the 4th. Is he the leader of this team or has he already had enough of playing with young guys? TT was ineffective.

The guard play was bad until the last couple minutes. Garland was zero forever and he's still not taking enough threes. Sexton still dribbles himself into trouble and overdribbles to the point of disrupting the offense. Clarkson doesn't want to run the offense and plays buddy ball.

Cedi, Nance, and TT are really the only guys who play with the correct effort the entire game. I would've thought we were on the second night of a back to back. There were also signs of guys getting annoyed with each other. Forcing bad shots and not making the easy pass when a teammate was open. Film session should be fun.

yeah i mean Sexton looks like the better shooter over Garland at this point, considering how highly thought of Garlands shot making ability was the sell on him being lottery picked. he has shown a decent handle and iq but his distributing skills are really not any better than current version of Sexton. i sm getting concerned the cavs are flirting with bust potential in this kid if they keep playing him until he gets his body right.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#14 » by jbk1234 » Sat Nov 2, 2019 7:14 am

Stillwater wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:Just a bad game. Love was lackadaisical and the game was too close for that garbage in the 4th. Is he the leader of this team or has he already had enough of playing with young guys? TT was ineffective.

yeah i mean Sexton looks like the better shooter over Garland at this point, considering how highly thought of Garlands shot making ability was the sell on him being lottery picked. he has shown a decent handle and iq but his distributing skills are really not any better than current version of Sexton. i sm getting concerned the cavs are flirting with bust potential in this kid if they keep playing him until he gets his body right.
I'm not concerned about shots not falling so much as shot selection. That goes for Sexton too. These guys are too prone to dribble into the trees with no exit plan.

But Garland in particular needs to take more threes. He's a good three point shooter. He'll revert to the mean. He should be taking no less than 4 a game. Don't throw them up early in the shot clock, but if you're around 12 seconds or less and you've got an open look take it.

cbosh4mvp wrote:
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#15 » by Stillwater » Sat Nov 2, 2019 11:00 am

jbk1234 wrote:
Stillwater wrote:

I'm not concerned about shots not falling so much as shot selection. That goes for Sexton too. These guys are too prone to dribble into the trees with no exit plan.

But Garland in particular needs to take more threes. He's a good three point shooter. He'll revert to the mean. He should be taking no less than 4 a game. Don't throw them up early in the shot clock, but if you're around 12 seconds or less and you've got an open look take it.

thats just it though garland also needs to use that handle to get to the line to open up shooters, right now nobody is pulling off their man because his floater sucks.
im not giving up on the back court experiment just yet but if Garland wasnt taken 5th id feel a whole lot better about him falling way short of expectations thus far.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#16 » by jbk1234 » Sat Nov 2, 2019 4:07 pm

I feel like we're watching two different teams with two different sets of goals. The new system is not a high PNR dribble-drive offense. Guys are defaulting to that, but our half court offense is based on ball and player movement. What I'm seeing is guys, some of whom are good 3 point shooters, passing up open 3s, waiting for the defender to recover, and then driving deep into the second level of the defense before deciding whether to shoot or pass.

Opposing teams have begun collapsing the paint which is made easier by Garland and Sexton not keeping them honest by shooting 3s when they're open. When opposing teams help off of those guys, and they will because of Love and TT, you have to make them pay. That will open up the floor and the offense.

cbosh4mvp wrote:
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#17 » by Stillwater » Sat Nov 2, 2019 11:59 pm

jbk1234 wrote:I feel like we're watching two different teams with two different sets of goals. The new system is not a high PNR dribble-drive offense. Guys are defaulting to that, but our half court offense is based on ball and player movement. What I'm seeing is guys, some of whom are good 3 point shooters, passing up open 3s, waiting for the defender to recover, and then driving deep into the second level of the defense before deciding whether to shoot or pass.

Opposing teams have begun collapsing the paint which is made easier by Garland and Sexton not keeping them honest by shooting 3s when they're open. When opposing teams help off of those guys, and they will because of Love and TT, you have to make them pay. That will open up the floor and the offense.

I think Garland is passing up 3's because his shot aint there and he wants to be a positive in some way since the coaches want him out there despite knowing full well he aint ready.
We shall see, but I don't take much of anything they are doing right now as indicative of the future, only that Garland isn't up to task and I would not be playing him starter minutes until he is NBA healthy. Maybe he is, but if it's the latter, then we have more problems than Beilein having them pass up 3's/
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#18 » by jbk1234 » Sun Nov 3, 2019 1:58 am

The sample size is way too small to say the shot isn't there. I mean he's made some. It's not like he's going Anthony Bennett or anything.

cbosh4mvp wrote:
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#19 » by Stillwater » Sun Nov 3, 2019 4:31 am

jbk1234 wrote:The sample size is way too small to say the shot isn't there. I mean he's made some. It's not like he's going Anthony Bennett or anything.

yeah that would be surprising, but didnt bennett shoot great in college before having shoulder repair?
whatever, im just guessing hes very rusty and doesnt want to hurt the team with his shot not falling at a decent clip.
i wouldnt be surprised if his struggles continue though and if so it leads to many within the org second guessing their approach to next years dtaft
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#20 » by jbk1234 » Sun Nov 3, 2019 6:07 pm

Stillwater wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:The sample size is way too small to say the shot isn't there. I mean he's made some. It's not like he's going Anthony Bennett or anything.

yeah that would be surprising, but didnt bennett shoot great in college before having shoulder repair?
whatever, im just guessing hes very rusty and doesnt want to hurt the team with his shot not falling at a decent clip.
i wouldnt be surprised if his struggles continue though and if so it leads to many within the org second guessing their approach to next years dtaft
I think you're exercising a pretty selective memory as far as how Sexton looked his first couple months. He still has moments where he dribbles himself into trouble. If you're going to draft 19 year old players, you need to be willing to at least give them a couple of years.

cbosh4mvp wrote:

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers