Game 18: Cleveland Cavaliers (5-12) vs. Orlando Magic (6-10) - 7:00 PM ET 

Post#1 » by ducler » Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:58 pm

Read on Twitter
tundraknight
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,913

Re: Game 18: Cleveland Cavaliers (5-12) vs. Orlando Magic (6-10) - 7:00 PM ET 

Post#2 » by tundraknight » Thu Nov 28, 2019 12:31 am

Love is back tonight and all of our starters and rotation players are playing so you’d like to think the Cavaliers are capable of a win against and injury depleted Magic team that’s missing 2 of their best players.
Stillwater
RealGM
And1: 3,655

Post#3 » by Stillwater » Thu Nov 28, 2019 2:56 am

not the worst team in the league by any stretch , but Beilein has a lot of work to do to bring this core together
SUNDOWN BRINGS A WELCOME CHANGE TO EVERYTHING THAT'S HIDING
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#4 » by Stillwater » Thu Nov 28, 2019 4:28 am

Sexton already making the athletic look stupid getting 6 dimes with ease after they suggested the cavs were going to move him to the bench since he isnt the playmaker garland is.
Sexton does not get asked to be a playmaker that often though but since he does get tunnel vision when his team is losing and nobody is hitting shots besides him . if hes guilty of anything its wanting to win and not trusting his teammates enough most of the time.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,087

Post#5 » by jbk1234 » Thu Nov 28, 2019 6:29 pm

Stillwater wrote:Sexton already making the athletic look stupid getting 6 dimes with ease after they suggested the cavs were going to move him to the bench since he isnt the playmaker garland is.
Sexton does not get asked to be a playmaker that often though but since he does get tunnel vision when his team is losing and nobody is hitting shots besides him . if hes guilty of anything its wanting to win and not trusting his teammates enough most of the time.
He just went 7-22 against the Nets. He still has a tendency to dribble himself into trouble and force bad shots. He's shown some growth and I hope he continues to improve, but you make it hard it hard to take you seriously when you start in with the *if he's guilty of anything* shtick. When Sexton makes poor decisions, that's on him, not the coaches and not his teammates.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using RealGM mobile app
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#6 » by Stillwater » Thu Nov 28, 2019 10:41 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
Stillwater wrote:Sexton already making the athletic look stupid getting 6 dimes with ease after they suggested the cavs were going to move him to the bench since he isnt the playmaker garland is.
He just went 7-22 against the Nets. He still has a tendency to dribble himself into trouble and force bad shots. He's shown some growth and I hope he continues to improve, but you make it hard it hard to take you seriously when you start in with the *if he's guilty of anything* shtick. When Sexton makes poor decisions, that's on him, not the coaches and not his teammates.

yeah im not concerned with having unpopular takes... my feeling is despite still making mental mistakes in vad situations and being far from his ceiling there is no reason at all to think that these are issues that would exist with better shooters around him.
we shall see, but my $ is on him over Garland as emerging long term as the better player in this league. Whether that happens in CLE or elsewhere is another story. I hope the org doesnt sit on their hands
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#7 » by jbk1234 » Fri Nov 29, 2019 5:12 pm

Stillwater wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:

yeah im not concerned with having unpopular takes... my feeling is despite still making mental mistakes in vad situations and being far from his ceiling there is no reason at all to think that these are issues that would exist with better shooters around him.
we shall see, but my $ is on him over Garland as emerging long term as the better player in this league. Whether that happens in CLE or elsewhere is another story. I hope the org doesnt sit on their hands

Neither Sexton nor Garland are busts, but if I'm being objective, neither guy has shown enough of a ceiling to build a team or offense around them as individual players. Neither of them are likely to be as good as Kyrie, and Kyrie is too flawed to get a team to the promised land on his own. I don't really get why there would be any urgency for the Cavs to undertake a keep one/sell one type of decision. In fact, if you're going to burn a season figuring out who is the better long-term prospect, this is the year to do it while another team still owns your top-10 protected pick.

Next summer will be the first summer the Cavs can try to construct a roster designed to win since LBJ left. The Cavs still need a legitimate rim protector and at least one two-way all star type at the wing before they have to worry about what they're going to do with Sexton, Love, and Garland. The fact that they don't have any urgency, while other teams very much do, is an advantage. The only concern I have is if Love starts to feel frozen out and demands a trade.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#8 » by Stillwater » Fri Nov 29, 2019 7:47 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
Stillwater wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:He just went 7-22 against the Nets. He still has a tendency to dribble himself into trouble and force bad shots. He's shown some growth and I hope he continues to improve, but you make it hard it hard to take you seriously when you start in with the *if he's guilty of anything* shtick. When Sexton makes poor decisions, that's on him, not the coaches and not his teammates.

Neither Sexton nor Garland are busts, but if I'm being objective, neither guy has shown enough of a ceiling to build a team or offense around them as individual players. Neither of them are likely to be as good as Kyrie, and Kyrie is too flawed to get a team to the promised land on his own. I don't really get why there would be any urgency for the Cavs to undertake a keep one/sell one type of decision. In fact, if you're going to burn a season figuring out who is the better long-term prospect, this is the year to do it while another team still owns your top-10 protected pick.

Next summer will be the first summer the Cavs can try to construct a roster designed to win since LBJ left. The Cavs still need a legitimate rim protector and at least one two-way all star type at the wing before they have to worry about what they're going to do with Sexton, Love, and Garland. The fact that they don't have any urgency, while other teams very much do, is an advantage. The only concern I have is if Love starts to feel frozen out and demands a trade.

that makes sense, but what's your take on rim protectors in the draft,? barring getting a top 3 pick for Wiseman probably not justifying taking any other big in the 4-10 range...maybe somebody whos a 3 year project with elite measurables or something , but my guess is they try to get a floor stretching big who has decent rim protection skill but not elite and maybe they get 1 with a late first.
the 1 other rim protector who is showing some range on his j is jalen smith maryland, but im not sure hes top 10 worthy.
i dont want the org to make moves to win now either, but if they take an entire season to access
the backcourt duo id be surprised.
JonFromVA
RealGM
And1: 4,373

Post#9 » by JonFromVA » Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:28 am

A good PG has it in his mind to create easy offense for teammates. That's hard to do without a much better feel for what the defense is going to do and how you need to counter and telling your teammates what they need to do.

Collin so far is more weapon than tactician.

Collin is a smart kid but as Beilein has pointed out ... there's no time for thinking on the floor. The correct actions need to become instinctual.

Takes time for most.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#10 » by jbk1234 » Sat Nov 30, 2019 3:56 pm

Stillwater wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:
Stillwater wrote:yeah im not concerned with having unpopular takes... my feeling is despite still making mental mistakes in vad situations and being far from his ceiling there is no reason at all to think that these are issues that would exist with better shooters around him.

that makes sense, but what's your take on rim protectors in the draft,? barring getting a top 3 pick for Wiseman probably not justifying taking any other big in the 4-10 range...maybe somebody whos a 3 year project with elite measurables or something , but my guess is they try to get a floor stretching big who has decent rim protection skill but not elite and maybe they get 1 with a late first.
the 1 other rim protector who is showing some range on his j is jalen smith maryland, but im not sure hes top 10 worthy.
i dont want the org to make moves to win now either, but if they take an entire season to access
I would always go with the highest ceiling SF, or Siakim/Isaac type PF, unless the tiers were clearly separated by position. Dirk won Finals MVP in 2011. Since then, it's been LBJ, Leonard, Iggy, and Durant. It's just a lot harder to defend and/Or game plan against elite SFs. If Hunter develops an offensive game, the Hawks jumping us to draft him will haunt us for a long, long time.

cbosh4mvp wrote:
JonFromVA
RealGM
And1: 4,373

Post#11 » by JonFromVA » Sun Dec 1, 2019 3:03 am

jbk1234 wrote:
Stillwater wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:

I would always go with the highest ceiling SF, or Siakim/Isaac type PF, unless the tiers were clearly separated by position. Dirk won Finals MVP in 2011. Since then, it's been LBJ, Leonard, Iggy, and Durant. It's just a lot harder to defend and/Or game plan against elite SFs. If Hunter develops an offensive game, the Hawks jumping us to draft him will haunt us for a long, long time.

I take no issue with favoring a wing over a defensive big, but finals MVP is not the best benchmark. Game planning is a big deal in the playoffs and Draymond Green was a couple of buckets away from being named finals MVP because the Cavs chose to trap Steph and leave Green unguarded.

We do have a couple of young wings in Porter and Windler who may work out, but hoping to get an elite player is mostly hoping unless we happen to land in the right spot in the right draft.

The team just needs to keep getting better on D and while a rim protector would help a lot we can potentially find one on the cheap.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#12 » by Stillwater » Sun Dec 1, 2019 2:12 pm

jaden mcdaniels and isaiah stewart are pretty impressive for Washington i could see both being cle targets

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers