ImageImageImage

Game 53: Cleveland Cavaliers (13-39) vs. Los Angeles Clippers (36-16) - 7:30 PM ET

Moderator: jbk1234

Stillwater
RealGM
And1: 2,900

Re: Game 53: Cleveland Cavaliers (13-39) vs. Los Angeles Clippers (36-16) - 7:30 PM ET 

Post#21 » by Stillwater » Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:11 pm

^ I mean if they really want to stick with these guys development they almost have to acquire some sort of high iq playmaker that can score at a high level with or without the ball in his hands that is not a guard...and yes is a solid fundamentals defensive player.
those are few and far between when picking 18 or 19 yr olds in the high lottery. It is a major gamble so I am inclined to think the next pick barring a pick in the top 3 will have to be a 2nd or 3rd year college prospect that is a proven high floor defender with excellent passing skills and the ability to score on ball and off ball.
Maybe if they can swing a draft day trade to get another late first they will have more options
Thanks to isolation and becoming one with the darkness of self I have
now harnessed a semi- permanent hypnagogic state of consciousness
where the painted dream of the wayward soul is false reality bliss-
There's Mud in the moonshine- Stillwater
JonFromVA
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,874

Re: Game 53: Cleveland Cavaliers (13-39) vs. Los Angeles Clippers (36-16) - 7:30 PM ET 

Post#22 » by JonFromVA » Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:21 pm

Stillwater wrote:^ I mean if they really want to stick with these guys development they almost have to acquire some sort of high iq playmaker that can score at a high level with or without the ball in his hands that is not a guard...and yes is a solid fundamentals defensive player.
those are few and far between when picking 18 or 19 yr olds in the high lottery. It is a major gamble so I am inclined to think the next pick barring a pick in the top 3 will have to be a 2nd or 3rd year college prospect that is a proven high floor defender with excellent passing skills and the ability to score on ball and off ball.
Maybe if they can swing a draft day trade to get another late first they will have more options

If they can't teach these guys to defend at least to the level they can score more points then they give up with some kind of a post presence (aka Drummond), then they will have no choice but to break things up.

But step one was to at least try to provide some kind of post-presence.

In theory. we have plenty of guys who can handle the ball and pass the ball and if they can be taught to do so within a system we shouldn't need a high level playmaker.

So, all signs point to us drafting a SF/wing, but we'd have to get pretty lucky to hit on a single player that can cure all our problems. That either has to come from those other players, or we'll need to move players.

Tricky business, though, for Kobe Altman and John Beilein who will be on the streets if Gilbert isn't convinced he's seeing sufficient progress.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#23 » by Stillwater » Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:34 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
Stillwater wrote:^ I mean if they really want to stick with these guys development they almost have to acquire some sort of high iq playmaker that can score at a high level with or without the ball in his hands that is not a guard...and yes is a solid fundamentals defensive player.

If they can't teach these guys to defend at least to the level they can score more points then they give up with some kind of a post presence (aka Drummond), then they will have no choice but to break things up.

In theory. we have plenty of guys who can handle the ball and pass the ball and if they can be taught to do so within a system we shouldn't need a high level playmaker.

So, all signs point to us drafting a SF/wing, but we'd have to get pretty lucky to hit on a single player that can cure all our problems. That either has to come from those other players, or we'll need to move players.

Tricky business, though, for Kobe Altman and John Beilein who will be on the streets if Gilbert isn't convinced he's seeing sufficient progress.

the key is they really are barely to 1st base on this rebuild and not even sure if they have hit on anyone yet. theoretically all of them making the long term rebuild roster is very very slim.
The way I look at it, if they just want to fast forward to being a mediocre roster and play the FA market that can maybe push for 7 or 8 seeds yr in and out at best than they can try to go after a more proven playmaker from the forward position this summer in this draft or trade for one rather than picking for high upside like they have in the last 2 sans the high floor Windler.
Or they can take another ball dominant prospect like most high lottery high usage picks that gets buckets but needs to be taught defense and learn to make life easier by scoring without the ball despite being used to always scoring with it.
Thanks to isolation and becoming one with the darkness of self I have
now harnessed a semi- permanent hypnagogic state of consciousness
where the painted dream of the wayward soul is false reality bliss-
There's Mud in the moonshine- Stillwater
JonFromVA
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,874

Post#24 » by JonFromVA » Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:01 am

Stillwater wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:

the key is they really are barely to 1st base on this rebuild and not even sure if they have hit on anyone yet. theoretically all of them making the long term rebuild roster is very very slim.
The way I look at it, if they just want to fast forward to being a mediocre roster and play the FA market that can maybe push for 7 or 8 seeds yr in and out at best than they can try to go after a more proven playmaker from the forward position this summer in this draft or trade for one rather than picking for high upside like they have in the last 2 sans the high floor Windler.
Or they can take another ball dominant prospect like most high lottery high usage picks that gets buckets but needs to be taught defense and learn to make life easier by scoring without the ball despite being used to always scoring with it.

Or maybe they're sitting on 3rd after grabbing Drummond and just need a final push from the draft?

That may be what they're hoping, anyway.

I mean, we've added a ton of kids. How much talent we've added is tbd ...
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#25 » by Stillwater » Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:43 am

JonFromVA wrote:
Stillwater wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:

Or maybe they're sitting on 3rd after grabbing Drummond and just need a final push from the draft?

That may be what they're hoping, anyway.