ImageImageImage

Aaron Nesmith at 5?

Moderator: jbk1234

Stillwater
RealGM
And1: 3,244

Re: Aaron Nesmith at 5? 

Post#21 » by Stillwater » Tue Aug 25, 2020 8:39 pm

I would bet there is a chance Nesmith is a complete bust . I just have seen it too many times with bad ball handlers that cant pass in a system at all. It would be one thing if he was an elite "scorer" but he is in fact nothing close to an elite scorer just a high % outside shooter and those differences are immense. To me the combined double negative pass/handle fails ruins the nice catch and shooting ability as a justifiable building block. He cannot be more than a 3rd option as is and we drafted windler who we saw the same thing from for years in college...Nesmith would be redundant and overpicked no matter how high you are on him developing a handle despite having the same level of dribbling as most highschool freshman.
If they pick Nesmith at 5 I will forfeit my Cavs fandom.
Thanks to isolation and becoming one with the darkness of self I have
now harnessed a semi- permanent hypnagogic state of consciousness
where the painted dream of the wayward soul is false reality bliss-
There's Mud in the moonshine- Stillwater
JonFromVA
Head Coach
And1: 1,966

Post#22 » by JonFromVA » Tue Aug 25, 2020 10:17 pm

Stillwater wrote:I would bet there is a chance Nesmith is a complete bust . I just have seen it too many times with bad ball handlers that cant pass in a system at all. It would be one thing if he was an elite "scorer" but he is in fact nothing close to an elite scorer just a high % outside shooter and those differences are immense. To me the combined double negative pass/handle fails ruins the nice catch and shooting ability as a justifiable building block. He cannot be more than a 3rd option as is and we drafted windler who we saw the same thing from for years in college...Nesmith would be redundant and overpicked no matter how high you are on him developing a handle despite having the same level of dribbling as most highschool freshman.

Oh, I'm not expecting the Cavs to draft Nesmith. If Dan Gilbert is still in the decision making chain, he's going to continue to shoot for the moon and try to find a multi-tool star like everyone expects or trade out.

In this day and age, I want players who can shoot. If they have some other skills which are even stronger, that's great, but a player that hasn't demonstrated reliable 3pt and free throw shooting is going to be a pain to build around.

Not a problem with Nesmith, and I'm all ears to learn about some of the others.

Vassell sounded interesting, but didn't really hold up when comparing film.

Okoro who's just a freshman deserves some consideration, but if his college 3pt% and FT% turns out to be predictive of his NBA jump shot ... big meh from me.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#23 » by Stillwater » Wed Aug 26, 2020 12:39 am

JonFromVA wrote:
Stillwater wrote:I would bet there is a chance Nesmith is a complete bust . I just have seen it too many times with bad ball handlers that cant pass in a system at all. It would be one thing if he was an elite "scorer" but he is in fact nothing close to an elite scorer just a high % outside shooter and those differences are immense. To me the combined double negative pass/handle fails ruins the nice catch and shooting ability as a justifiable building block. He cannot be more than a 3rd option as is and we drafted windler who we saw the same thing from for years in college...Nesmith would be redundant and overpicked no matter how high you are on him developing a handle despite having the same level of dribbling as most highschool freshman.

Oh, I'm not expecting the Cavs to draft Nesmith. If Dan Gilbert is still in the decision making chain, he's going to continue to shoot for the moon and try to find a multi-tool star like everyone expects or trade out.

In this day and age, I want players who can shoot. If they have some other skills which are even stronger, that's great, but a player that hasn't demonstrated reliable 3pt and free throw shooting is going to be a pain to build around.

Okoro who's just a freshman deserves some consideration, but if his college 3pt% and FT% turns out to be predictive of his NBA jump shot ... big meh from me.

All I can tell you is they will probably take somebody I dont want
JonFromVA
Head Coach
And1: 1,966

Post#24 » by JonFromVA » Wed Aug 26, 2020 9:19 am

Stillwater wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:

50-50 if we go by the past 2 drafts but both were picked based on perceived upside, character, and work ethic.

That's what I expect from them in this draft as well, unless the desire to make the playoffs causes them to think more short term needs.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#25 » by Stillwater » Wed Aug 26, 2020 1:25 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
Stillwater wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:

50-50 if we go by the past 2 drafts but both were picked based on perceived upside, character, and work ethic.

That's what I expect from them in this draft as well, unless the desire to make the playoffs causes them to think more short term needs.

Be nice if that narrative were true and it is what they would say but Garland didnt seem like a work ethic pick like Sexton did over sga to me. Garland was more about lack of playmaking and they saw him as that best option compared to White who was seen as a score first guard like Sexton or others like Culver who was scratched based on interview negatives and lack of playmaking... but the truth is looking like what Garland has in upside really is only him getting healthy and back to being a decent iq guard like precollege. That should not become a top 5 draft pick pay sxale player and so it was a bad choice. I also truly believe their were non basketball reasons like Klutch but this org also brought in Beilein because he used 2 on ball guard similar line ups in college with success so Garland had to be their target if Ja wasnt there.
To me the bottom line is as bad as they scouted Garland they might overvalue agent pitches and under the table deals than actually picking the bpa.
Avdija for his playmaking or another on ball guard like Hayes could still be this years choice but it wont be the bpa if Okongwu is available , it will just be them listening to the wrong people

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers