Forum Mod - Cavs
Forum Mod - Cavs
And1: 22,630

Re: Off-season News 

Post#81 » by jbk1234 » Fri Oct 30, 2020 5:41 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
It certainly seems like a better fit for him, and he just might be able to clean up their mess with the help of analytics. For instance, Simmons+Embiid have been very effective in certain lineups, so, he could certainly choose to not break them up and instead focus on the lineups which haven't been working.

The last time he was stuck with a really large contract for a player who was good but wasn't working out, he traded it for an even worse contract for a player who wasn't as good and added picks for the privilege. Now he's sitting there with Horford, Harris, and it's not entirely clearly his two *stars* fit together. It will be interesting to see how things play out.

Again, everyone says the trade of Paul for Westbrook wasn't being driven by Morey, but rather Harden and Fertita.

I'm not even sure they have to trade any of their starters, because Simmons-Richardson-Harris-Horford-Embiid was an effective lineup. One way to go is focus on the lineup when Embiid is resting, and the lineup when Simmons is resting, and then have swappable players to deal with injuries. Might be as simple as playing their shooters with Simmons, and using Trey Burke and Richardson with Embiid.

At least that's what a quick look at the lineup data suggests.

Of course, that alone (if it worked) would just mean they win a bunch of regular season games. Getting out of the East means solving the matchups .vs. their playoff opponents, which is a whole other level of planning.

The advanced numbers, especially in the post season, with Embiid and Horford on the floor together were terrible.
It is highly unlikely that the Cavs will agree with your Kevin Love evaluation for the purpose of a trade.
JonFromVA
Head Coach
And1: 1,981

Post#82 » by JonFromVA » Fri Oct 30, 2020 7:52 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:
The last time he was stuck with a really large contract for a player who was good but wasn't working out, he traded it for an even worse contract for a player who wasn't as good and added picks for the privilege. Now he's sitting there with Horford, Harris, and it's not entirely clearly his two *stars* fit together. It will be interesting to see how things play out.

Again, everyone says the trade of Paul for Westbrook wasn't being driven by Morey, but rather Harden and Fertita.

I'm not even sure they have to trade any of their starters, because Simmons-Richardson-Harris-Horford-Embiid was an effective lineup. One way to go is focus on the lineup when Embiid is resting, and the lineup when Simmons is resting, and then have swappable players to deal with injuries. Might be as simple as playing their shooters with Simmons, and using Trey Burke and Richardson with Embiid.

Of course, that alone (if it worked) would just mean they win a bunch of regular season games. Getting out of the East means solving the matchups .vs. their playoff opponents, which is a whole other level of planning.

The advanced numbers, especially in the post season, with Embiid and Horford on the floor together were terrible.

Neither Simmons nor Burke played in the playoffs. So, my assumptions based on the regular season lineups can be neither supported nor refuted with the playoff data. Of course Morey would presumably take more than a 5 second glance at lineup data before drawing conclusions, but the data may be telling him there are ways to make things work with tweaks rather than major changes. *shrugs*
jbk1234
Forum Mod - Cavs
Forum Mod - Cavs

Post#83 » by jbk1234 » Fri Oct 30, 2020 8:16 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:

Neither Simmons nor Burke played in the playoffs. So, my assumptions based on the regular season lineups can be neither supported nor refuted with the playoff data. Of course Morey would presumably take more than a 5 second glance at lineup data before drawing conclusions, but the data may be telling him there are ways to make things work with tweaks rather than major changes. *shrugs*

I really think Horford is cooked and at a place in the regression curve where he's quickly going to turn into Antuan Jamison 2.0.
It is highly unlikely that the Cavs will agree with your Kevin Love evaluation for the purpose of a trade.
JonFromVA
Head Coach

Post#84 » by JonFromVA » Fri Oct 30, 2020 11:23 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:

I really think Horford is cooked and at a place in the regression curve where he's quickly going to turn into Antuan Jamison 2.0.

He sure seemed that way at times, but it's possible he was just misused. His numbers are not what they were in Boston by any means, but they don't indicate he's "cooked" either.

With Morey in charge they won't miss something just because nobody in power cares what the numbers say.
jbk1234
Forum Mod - Cavs
Forum Mod - Cavs

Post#85 » by jbk1234 » Sat Oct 31, 2020 4:53 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:

He sure seemed that way at times, but it's possible he was just misused. His numbers are not what they were in Boston by any means, but they don't indicate he's "cooked" either.

With Morey in charge they won't miss something just because nobody in power cares what the numbers say.
His vaunted, habitually overrated IMO, defense looked pretty pedestrian when he was sharing the court with Kyrie. It looked even worse last year in the postseason when he was getting cooked by faster players at the 4. It's only going in one direction at his age, and he's not really a plus starter anymore once that happens.

I think they're crazy to keep him with the hope his value improves.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using RealGM mobile app
JonFromVA
Head Coach

Post#86 » by JonFromVA » Sat Oct 31, 2020 6:16 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:

His vaunted, habitually overrated IMO, defense looked pretty pedestrian when he was sharing the court with Kyrie. It looked even worse last year in the postseason when he was getting cooked by faster players at the 4. It's only going in one direction at his age, and he's not really a plus starter anymore once that happens.

I think they're crazy to keep him with the hope his value improves.

They're kind of stuck with Horford unless they're going to spend assets to move him. Still Kyrie has a history of making big men look like crappy defenders. The 76'ers, otoh, have a terrific D and Horford was not hurting their team D. So, the thought of juggling things around a bit and re-working the roster around the edges sounds pretty attractive compared to smashing the detonator, but I suppose that depends what's on the table.

Their biggest challenge appears to be keeping Simmons and Embiid healthy through the post-season.
Stillwater
RealGM
And1: 3,322

Post#87 » by Stillwater » Thu Nov 5, 2020 4:46 am

Read on Twitter

tough to read about but post worthy condolences to the family
RIP
Thanks to isolation and becoming one with the darkness of self I have
now harnessed a semi- permanent hypnagogic state of consciousness
where the painted dream of the wayward soul is false reality bliss-
There's Mud in the moonshine- Stillwater
jbk1234
Forum Mod - Cavs
Forum Mod - Cavs

Post#88 » by jbk1234 » Thu Nov 5, 2020 6:24 pm

Stillwater wrote:
Read on Twitter

tough to read about but post worthy condolences to the family
RIP

This is awful news.

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers