Game 4 : New York Knicks (1-2) @ Cleveland Cavaliers (3-0) - 7:00 PM 

Post#1 » by ducler » Tue Dec 29, 2020 9:18 pm

Read on Twitter
Stillwater
RealGM
And1: 3,655

Re: Game 4 : New York Knicks (1-2) @ Cleveland Cavaliers (3-0) - 7:00 PM 

Post#2 » by Stillwater » Tue Dec 29, 2020 9:51 pm

Was hoping to see Okoro return . I doubt the outcome is anything like the match ups in the preseason.
Our defense has been high level in the reg season games for example and Sexton is finding his groove.
I fully expect the Cavs to outplay them/ I don't expect Knox to shoot 90% from 3 ever again in his NBA career...
But to be fair Payton has been ballin and RJ looks solid so it should be interesting regardless.
SUNDOWN BRINGS A WELCOME CHANGE TO EVERYTHING THAT'S HIDING
sasquatchBob
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,450

Post#3 » by sasquatchBob » Wed Dec 30, 2020 1:29 am

I like your team. There's a good mix between proven veterans and young guys. I think you guys are going to the playoffs.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,123

Post#4 » by jbk1234 » Wed Dec 30, 2020 2:45 am

So much for addition by subtraction.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#5 » by Stillwater » Wed Dec 30, 2020 2:49 am

well that hopefully will be the worst shooting night of the season...I liked that they got back into with defense but just went away from what was working in first 3 games after nobody could hit a gimme
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#6 » by jbk1234 » Wed Dec 30, 2020 4:48 am

Stillwater wrote:well that hopefully will be the worst shooting night of the season...I liked that they got back into with defense but just went away from what was working in first 3 games after nobody could hit a gimme
I'd argue the Knicks closed the paint and said make some shots. Now, it not just Love who was out, it was Windler and KPJ as well. But you can expect to see more packing of the paint until the starting unit starts hitting their three point attempts consistently now that Love is out.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using RealGM mobile app
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#7 » by Stillwater » Wed Dec 30, 2020 5:20 am

jbk1234 wrote:
Stillwater wrote:well that hopefully will be the worst shooting night of the season...I liked that they got back into with defense but just went away from what was working in first 3 games after nobody could hit a gimme
I'd argue the Knicks closed the paint and said make some shots. Now, it not just Love who was out, it was Windler and KPJ as well. But you can expect to see more packing of the paint until the starting unit starts hitting their three point attempts consistently now that Love is out.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using RealGM mobile app

sure and I am pretty confident they expected it with the looks they were generating and the plays they ran early on and that they can hit those open looks better than they did in this one. I mean they were generating looks early in the game which was their worst q despite missing almost all the shots they took and with some really solid shooting threats not available. But its not like Sexton and Garland normally fail to convert open looks. Its funny how they sort of left the plan in the dust offensively because the shots were not falling when they needed to just keep going with it until they started falling.
It was hard too watch and it is always frustrating when EVERYONE is ice cold but they were bound to get out of rhythm having to change the starting rotation again I guess. I give it a couple games before I expect much beyond playing hard on defense which was again nice to see. Sexton is probably still in the gym shooting
Harper4Ferry?
Starter
And1: 78

Post#8 » by Harper4Ferry? » Wed Dec 30, 2020 2:16 pm

so many bricks. Hopefully they won't go 7-32 from 3 again, ever. I felt like there were many points in the 2nd half where IF they could have just hit 4-5 shots in a row and gotten up by 5 points, the Knicks would have folded and gone home. But it's going to happen from time to time.
Revenged25
Analyst
And1: 1,002

Post#9 » by Revenged25 » Wed Dec 30, 2020 3:22 pm

Harper4Ferry? wrote:so many bricks. Hopefully they won't go 7-32 from 3 again, ever. I felt like there were many points in the 2nd half where IF they could have just hit 4-5 shots in a row and gotten up by 5 points, the Knicks would have folded and gone home. But it's going to happen from time to time.

One thing that's good about this team is that even when they were struggling and shots weren't falling, they never gave up and kept trying to find a path to victory whether it was defense, trying to get to the foul line, etc. In previous years during a rebuild as soon as shots weren't falling and they were getting behind they would just completely fall apart and get blown out even by bad teams.
JonFromVA
RealGM
And1: 4,381

Post#10 » by JonFromVA » Wed Dec 30, 2020 4:30 pm

jbk1234 wrote:

Opponents with front court length seems to bother us, but that doesn't fully explain all the missed shots.

JBB needs to think about how they defended Randle. Larry should have been able to stick with him better, but perhaps he was over-helping or perhaps their plan was to let him shoot. Kevin doesn't get much Love for his defense, but sometimes he'll handle a player like Randle decently 1v1.

Hopefully we get Okoro back soon, which will give us an extra option defensively.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#11 » by jbk1234 » Wed Dec 30, 2020 5:20 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:

Opponents with front court length seems to bother us, but that doesn't fully explain all the missed shots.

JBB needs to think about how they defended Randle. Larry should have been able to stick with him better, but perhaps he was over-helping or perhaps their plan was to let him shoot. Kevin doesn't get much Love for his defense, but sometimes he'll handle a player like Randle decently 1v1.

Hopefully we get Okoro back soon, which will give us an extra option defensively.

This was more than just Sexton and Garland trying to finish over true shot blockers which was a problem going back to last year, this way tight zone where they where running a second defender at them as soon as they started to penetrate. It allows the defender who is primarily responsible for rim protection to stay home. It worked, they'll see more of it. We need some set plays to counter and players also have to be able to hit an outside shot.

In terms of defense, if you hold a team to below 100 points in the modern NBA, you need to win that game. I'm sure the game plan was to allow as many touches to Randle as the Kicks were willing to give him, but yeah, Love's post defense against other skilled big men is the most underrated aspect of his game.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#12 » by Stillwater » Thu Dec 31, 2020 12:39 am

jbk1234 wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:I'd argue the Knicks closed the paint and said make some shots. Now, it not just Love who was out, it was Windler and KPJ as well. But you can expect to see more packing of the paint until the starting unit starts hitting their three point attempts consistently now that Love is out.

This was more than just Sexton and Garland trying to finish over true shot blockers which was a problem going back to last year, this way tight zone where they where running a second defender at them as soon as they started to penetrate. It allows the defender who is primarily responsible for rim protection to stay home. It worked, they'll see more of it. We need some set plays to counter and players also have to be able to hit an outside shot.

In terms of defense, if you hold a team to below 100 points in the modern NBA, you need to win that game. I'm sure the game plan was to allow as many touches to Randle as the Kicks were willing to give him, but yeah, Love's post defense against other skilled big men is the most underrated aspect of his game.

if you aint making any shots it should come as no surprise thats the counter to your attempts to go inside. They should have just kept firing from deep even if they missed and lost by 50
JonFromVA
RealGM
And1: 4,381

Post#13 » by JonFromVA » Thu Dec 31, 2020 1:12 am

Stillwater wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:

if you aint making any shots it should come as no surprise thats the counter to your attempts to go inside. They should have just kept firing from deep even if they missed and lost by 50

There are tried and true ways for a shooter to get their shot rolling and it usually starts with making some easier shots from the foul line and mid-range.

This was the easy version of 3 games in 4 nights, but fatigue likely played a part, especially this early in this messed up season.

JBB asking them to dig in on the defensive end and let that help them create offense is also a classic response.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#14 » by Stillwater » Thu Dec 31, 2020 5:22 am

JonFromVA wrote:
Stillwater wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:

There are tried and true ways for a shooter to get their shot rolling and it usually starts with making some easier shots from the foul line and mid-range.

This was the easy version of 3 games in 4 nights, but fatigue likely played a part, especially this early in this messed up season.

JBB asking them to dig in on the defensive end and let that help them create offense is also a classic response.

well diggin in on defense has obviously been the mantra every minute of every game so if they are going to rely on ball movement and set plays when they are not running they need to keep shooting not do exactly what plays into the defenses hands by passing up good looks and stagnating the movement . TBH I wanted to see Wade or Dotson getting plays run for him and see if he could heat up but it never happened.

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers