ImageImageImage

Predict the next domino

Moderator: jbk1234

who gets moved next?

DRE
7
47%
Love
0
No votes
McGee
2
13%
Cedi
0
No votes
Nance
3
20%
other
2
13%
none
1
7%
 
Total votes: 15

Stillwater
RealGM
Posts: 13,813
And1: 3,446
Joined: Jun 15, 2017
   

Predict the next domino 

Post#1 » by Stillwater » Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:04 pm

who gets moved if anyone in the next week or at least at the dl now that they have traded for Allen and Prince?
I am guessing its either in the next 24 hours or not until the dl if its a big shipped out rather than a week away or something.
I think Cedi gets moved tbh this season which i am not sure how I feel about sometimes we really need him other times I cant stand him.
As far as the bigs its anyones guess
There are no valid legal arguments that people have any right to not wear masks in public at this point. Being asymptomatic or unaware if you are positive, does not make you exempt from any obligations to ensure society is free from your germs.
Revenged25
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,863
And1: 641
Joined: Jun 05, 2018
   

Re: Predict the next domino 

Post#2 » by Revenged25 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:20 pm

I'm thinking it's either Dre or Love. I don't think McGee, Cedi, or Nance are going anywhere, especially Nance.
Harper4Ferry?
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,861
And1: 17
Joined: Jun 29, 2002

Re: Predict the next domino 

Post#3 » by Harper4Ferry? » Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:32 pm

They might move Dre, but personally I'd prefer to see us extend him to match the length of Love's deal. I actually think we might have a solid or better team here. I think McGee doesn't have much trade value, and I want to keep him at least until near the end of the season. If we're out of it, I'd release him so he can join another playoff squad.
jbk1234
Forum Mod - Cavs
Forum Mod - Cavs
Posts: 39,842
And1: 23,056
Joined: Dec 22, 2010
   

Re: Predict the next domino 

Post#4 » by jbk1234 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:03 pm

Something to keep in mind. The Cavs taking back Prince means that $15M of their cap space just went poof for next summer. Add in the fact that Allen could get an offer sheet as high as $20M/per, and I don't think they're going to take back bad money for Drummond's expiring. Sexton is getting paid the year after next. Maybe if the Kings want to do something involving Barnes and value you look at that.

I still think the best time to try to move Love is next summer when all those teams that cleared space for those blue chip guys who aren't leaving start examining plan B strategies.
It is highly unlikely that the Cavs will agree with your Kevin Love evaluation for the purpose of a trade.
JonFromVA
Head Coach
Posts: 6,581
And1: 2,073
Joined: Dec 08, 2009
     

Re: Predict the next domino 

Post#5 » by JonFromVA » Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:31 pm

Harper4Ferry? wrote:They might move Dre, but personally I'd prefer to see us extend him to match the length of Love's deal. I actually think we might have a solid or better team here. I think McGee doesn't have much trade value, and I want to keep him at least until near the end of the season. If we're out of it, I'd release him so he can join another playoff squad.


I voted McGee because I feel the way he's playing he actually has positive trade value, and if he would prefer to join a contender, I'd rather get something back for him.

I'm not sure that's the case for the other candidates, unless someone desperately needs a massive expiring (aka Andre).

Prince played a lot of PF for the Nets paired with Allen. I'm not sure that's anything to get excited about, but it does give us some more depth at the spot and I suppose it gives us some more positional flexibility.
Stillwater
RealGM
Posts: 13,813
And1: 3,446
Joined: Jun 15, 2017
   

Re: Predict the next domino 

Post#6 » by Stillwater » Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:41 pm

Cavs waived Maker and Ferrell to facilitate this deal as well
There are no valid legal arguments that people have any right to not wear masks in public at this point. Being asymptomatic or unaware if you are positive, does not make you exempt from any obligations to ensure society is free from your germs.
Stillwater
RealGM
Posts: 13,813
And1: 3,446
Joined: Jun 15, 2017
   

Re: Predict the next domino 

Post#7 » by Stillwater » Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:03 am

For all I know he wont even break the rotation if they just ate him to get Allen but despite not being the playmaker Cedi is nor does he score at the rim or draw fouls at the same rate... Prince is about the same stat line or better defensively and probably will fit in for JBB if they get interest for Cedi given his intangibles and team friendly contract I could see him moved pretty easily. ESP if he is getting tired of the rebuild after playing with Lebron lead rosters which seems inevitable.
There are no valid legal arguments that people have any right to not wear masks in public at this point. Being asymptomatic or unaware if you are positive, does not make you exempt from any obligations to ensure society is free from your germs.
jbk1234
Forum Mod - Cavs
Forum Mod - Cavs
Posts: 39,842
And1: 23,056
Joined: Dec 22, 2010
   

Re: Predict the next domino 

Post#8 » by jbk1234 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:17 am

Stillwater wrote:For all I know he wont even break the rotation if they just ate him to get Allen but despite not being the playmaker Cedi is nor does he score at the rim or draw fouls at the same rate... Prince is about the same stat line or better defensively and probably will fit in for JBB if they get interest for Cedi given his intangibles and team friendly contract I could see him moved pretty easily. ESP if he is getting tired of the rebuild after playing with Lebron lead rosters which seems inevitable.


Where are you getting the idea that Prince is, or has ever been, a good defender? There's no statistical evidence to back that up. I've certainly never witnessed him passing the eye test. He's bad offensively, bad defensively, and probably only still in the league because of his contract. It would've cost the Nets another first to get a team to eat his $15M next year for cap space. It's why they had to bring in a third team and why we got Allen.
It is highly unlikely that the Cavs will agree with your Kevin Love evaluation for the purpose of a trade.
Stillwater
RealGM
Posts: 13,813
And1: 3,446
Joined: Jun 15, 2017
   

Re: Predict the next domino 

Post#9 » by Stillwater » Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:50 am

jbk1234 wrote:
Stillwater wrote:For all I know he wont even break the rotation if they just ate him to get Allen but despite not being the playmaker Cedi is nor does he score at the rim or draw fouls at the same rate... Prince is about the same stat line or better defensively and probably will fit in for JBB if they get interest for Cedi given his intangibles and team friendly contract I could see him moved pretty easily. ESP if he is getting tired of the rebuild after playing with Lebron lead rosters which seems inevitable.


Where are you getting the idea that Prince is, or has ever been, a good defender? There's no statistical evidence to back that up. I've certainly never witnessed him passing the eye test. He's bad offensively, bad defensively, and probably only still in the league because of his contract. It would've cost the Nets another first to get a team to eat his $15M next year for cap space. It's why they had to bring in a third team and why we got Allen.

yeah hes not great at much of anything but hes athletic and long so maybe he can play defense on this roster which demands it. OTOH actually thought he was better than his stats show and I dont watch the Nets of late so i am no authority. I made the mistake initially of thinking he might be at minimum a decent rotation forward who can hold his own defensively thinking back to his impact at Baylor where he can catch and shoot some 3s on low usage.
I am not that excited about the guy dont get me wrong it was obviously about Allen more than anything but I also think looking closely at the stats he really is not any different than CEDI to speak of and could move up in the rotation after a CEDI trade
There are no valid legal arguments that people have any right to not wear masks in public at this point. Being asymptomatic or unaware if you are positive, does not make you exempt from any obligations to ensure society is free from your germs.
jbk1234
Forum Mod - Cavs
Forum Mod - Cavs
Posts: 39,842
And1: 23,056
Joined: Dec 22, 2010
   

Re: Predict the next domino 

Post#10 » by jbk1234 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:54 am

Stillwater wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:
Stillwater wrote:For all I know he wont even break the rotation if they just ate him to get Allen but despite not being the playmaker Cedi is nor does he score at the rim or draw fouls at the same rate... Prince is about the same stat line or better defensively and probably will fit in for JBB if they get interest for Cedi given his intangibles and team friendly contract I could see him moved pretty easily. ESP if he is getting tired of the rebuild after playing with Lebron lead rosters which seems inevitable.


Where are you getting the idea that Prince is, or has ever been, a good defender? There's no statistical evidence to back that up. I've certainly never witnessed him passing the eye test. He's bad offensively, bad defensively, and probably only still in the league because of his contract. It would've cost the Nets another first to get a team to eat his $15M next year for cap space. It's why they had to bring in a third team and why we got Allen.

yeah hes not great at much of anything but hes athletic and long so maybe he can play defense on this roster which demands it. OTOH actually thought he was better than his stats show and I dont watch the Nets of late so i am no authority. I made the mistake initially of thinking he might be at minimum a decent rotation forward who can hold his own defensively thinking back to his impact at Baylor where he can catch and shoot some 3s on low usage.
I am not that excited about the guy dont get me wrong it was obviously about Allen more than anything but I also think looking closely at the stats he really is not any different than CEDI to speak of and could move up in the rotation after a CEDI trade


The reason he fell out of the starting rotation with the Hawks, back when they sucked really bad, is because his defense wasn't good enough. He had a couple seasons where he shot the three ball well enough to get decent minutes and three seasons where he's been below league average from three point range. He'll eat some minutes due to injuries and Covid but if you set your expectations higher than that, you're going to be disappointed.
It is highly unlikely that the Cavs will agree with your Kevin Love evaluation for the purpose of a trade.
Stillwater
RealGM
Posts: 13,813
And1: 3,446
Joined: Jun 15, 2017
   

Re: Predict the next domino 

Post#11 » by Stillwater » Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:02 am

jbk1234 wrote:
Stillwater wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:
Where are you getting the idea that Prince is, or has ever been, a good defender? There's no statistical evidence to back that up. I've certainly never witnessed him passing the eye test. He's bad offensively, bad defensively, and probably only still in the league because of his contract. It would've cost the Nets another first to get a team to eat his $15M next year for cap space. It's why they had to bring in a third team and why we got Allen.

yeah hes not great at much of anything but hes athletic and long so maybe he can play defense on this roster which demands it. OTOH actually thought he was better than his stats show and I dont watch the Nets of late so i am no authority. I made the mistake initially of thinking he might be at minimum a decent rotation forward who can hold his own defensively thinking back to his impact at Baylor where he can catch and shoot some 3s on low usage.
I am not that excited about the guy dont get me wrong it was obviously about Allen more than anything but I also think looking closely at the stats he really is not any different than CEDI to speak of and could move up in the rotation after a CEDI trade


The reason he fell out of the starting rotation with the Hawks, back when they sucked really bad, is because his defense wasn't good enough. He had a couple seasons where he shot the three ball well enough to get decent minutes and three seasons where he's been below league average from three point range. He'll eat some minutes due to injuries and Covid but if you set your expectations higher than that, you're going to be disappointed.

I dont have any expectations but his stat line is not much different than Cedi was the point and so essentially you are saying Cedi sucks too ? I think the reality is the guy is not going to be better offensively than Stevens and no worse than Cedi defensively. He has no place here unless someone is moved which is why I see Cedi getting the Cavs a late first early 2nd at the DL
There are no valid legal arguments that people have any right to not wear masks in public at this point. Being asymptomatic or unaware if you are positive, does not make you exempt from any obligations to ensure society is free from your germs.
jbk1234
Forum Mod - Cavs
Forum Mod - Cavs
Posts: 39,842
And1: 23,056
Joined: Dec 22, 2010
   

Re: Predict the next domino 

Post#12 » by jbk1234 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:07 am

Stillwater wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:
Stillwater wrote:yeah hes not great at much of anything but hes athletic and long so maybe he can play defense on this roster which demands it. OTOH actually thought he was better than his stats show and I dont watch the Nets of late so i am no authority. I made the mistake initially of thinking he might be at minimum a decent rotation forward who can hold his own defensively thinking back to his impact at Baylor where he can catch and shoot some 3s on low usage.
I am not that excited about the guy dont get me wrong it was obviously about Allen more than anything but I also think looking closely at the stats he really is not any different than CEDI to speak of and could move up in the rotation after a CEDI trade


The reason he fell out of the starting rotation with the Hawks, back when they sucked really bad, is because his defense wasn't good enough. He had a couple seasons where he shot the three ball well enough to get decent minutes and three seasons where he's been below league average from three point range. He'll eat some minutes due to injuries and Covid but if you set your expectations higher than that, you're going to be disappointed.

I dont have any expectations but his stat line is not much different than Cedi was the point and so essentially you are saying Cedi sucks too ? I think the reality is the guy is not going to be better offensively than Stevens and no worse than Cedi defensively. He has no place here unless someone is moved which is why I see Cedi getting the Cavs a late first early 2nd at the DL


Advanced stats don't bear out the idea that he's better than Cedi on the defensive end. He's worse.
It is highly unlikely that the Cavs will agree with your Kevin Love evaluation for the purpose of a trade.
Stillwater
RealGM
Posts: 13,813
And1: 3,446
Joined: Jun 15, 2017
   

Re: Predict the next domino 

Post#13 » by Stillwater » Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:10 am

jbk1234 wrote:
Stillwater wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:
The reason he fell out of the starting rotation with the Hawks, back when they sucked really bad, is because his defense wasn't good enough. He had a couple seasons where he shot the three ball well enough to get decent minutes and three seasons where he's been below league average from three point range. He'll eat some minutes due to injuries and Covid but if you set your expectations higher than that, you're going to be disappointed.

I dont have any expectations but his stat line is not much different than Cedi was the point and so essentially you are saying Cedi sucks too ? I think the reality is the guy is not going to be better offensively than Stevens and no worse than Cedi defensively. He has no place here unless someone is moved which is why I see Cedi getting the Cavs a late first early 2nd at the DL


Advanced stats don't bear out the idea that he's better than Cedi on the defensive end. He's worse.

I will take your word for it until I see him in action for us but I think it's possible you are undervaluing his potential in this system where even bad defenders have looked meh or better so far
There are no valid legal arguments that people have any right to not wear masks in public at this point. Being asymptomatic or unaware if you are positive, does not make you exempt from any obligations to ensure society is free from your germs.
KuruptedCav
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,906
And1: 630
Joined: Dec 15, 2004

Re: Predict the next domino 

Post#14 » by KuruptedCav » Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:02 pm

I'm thinking that the next domino to fall will be JaVale McGee. He's a good backup center on an expiring, easily matched, contract.

Personally, I'd rather keep him than Drummond; but I struggle to find deals for Drummond that don't suck value somewhere.
JonFromVA
Head Coach
Posts: 6,581
And1: 2,073
Joined: Dec 08, 2009
     

Re: Predict the next domino 

Post#15 » by JonFromVA » Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:17 pm

KuruptedCav wrote:I'm thinking that the next domino to fall will be JaVale McGee. He's a good backup center on an expiring, easily matched, contract.

Personally, I'd rather keep him than Drummond; but I struggle to find deals for Drummond that don't suck value somewhere.


Unless of course the Nets deal was made because we had an imminent Drummond deal in the works, but given his last known trade value was a bag of chips; there's a fair chance his trade value is lower than his value to us even if he walks as a free-agent.
Revenged25
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,863
And1: 641
Joined: Jun 05, 2018
   

Re: Predict the next domino 

Post#16 » by Revenged25 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:33 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
KuruptedCav wrote:I'm thinking that the next domino to fall will be JaVale McGee. He's a good backup center on an expiring, easily matched, contract.

Personally, I'd rather keep him than Drummond; but I struggle to find deals for Drummond that don't suck value somewhere.


Unless of course the Nets deal was made because we had an imminent Drummond deal in the works, but given his last known trade value was a bag of chips; there's a fair chance his trade value is lower than his value to us even if he walks as a free-agent.


Part of his reduced value was the fact that everyone knew he was opting in this year so if they wanted flexibility in this past off-season there was none, not to mention having to pay him all the money for his contract. By the DL only about half of his contract will still be owed and he'll be an expiring. I think it's better than what we paid for him, but the main problem now is that there aren't enough teams with matching contracts that wouldn't have to toss in someone completely useless or can't/won't add value to their bad contracts.
JonFromVA
Head Coach
Posts: 6,581
And1: 2,073
Joined: Dec 08, 2009
     

Re: Predict the next domino 

Post#17 » by JonFromVA » Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:13 pm

Revenged25 wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
KuruptedCav wrote:I'm thinking that the next domino to fall will be JaVale McGee. He's a good backup center on an expiring, easily matched, contract.

Personally, I'd rather keep him than Drummond; but I struggle to find deals for Drummond that don't suck value somewhere.


Unless of course the Nets deal was made because we had an imminent Drummond deal in the works, but given his last known trade value was a bag of chips; there's a fair chance his trade value is lower than his value to us even if he walks as a free-agent.


Part of his reduced value was the fact that everyone knew he was opting in this year so if they wanted flexibility in this past off-season there was none, not to mention having to pay him all the money for his contract. By the DL only about half of his contract will still be owed and he'll be an expiring. I think it's better than what we paid for him, but the main problem now is that there aren't enough teams with matching contracts that wouldn't have to toss in someone completely useless or can't/won't add value to their bad contracts.


Which is what makes McGee more valuable, easier to trade, and more likely to be traded. There's a chance there's another unwanted player on a longer deal we can trade Andre for; but we'd have to be willing to commit the money.
Stillwater
RealGM
Posts: 13,813
And1: 3,446
Joined: Jun 15, 2017
   

Re: Predict the next domino 

Post#18 » by Stillwater » Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:12 pm

Mcgee would be easy to move to a contender but id just play him as the main back up all season and even consider dre and frohio on the floor together if they cant move dre at the dl.
As far as Prince i stand corrected the more replay i watch im not sure how this guy is still in the league at this point he doesn't ever seem all that interested so maybe if he gets more than spot minutes he can be more than a practice squad liability. That being said i still think Cedi garners enough interest to be flipped due to his playmaking despite being very similar to Prince on paper they are not the same. Cedi is all hustle and Prince is just an nba body without much reliable skill or motivation. That being said he absolutely should never be used at the 4 same as Cedi.
There are no valid legal arguments that people have any right to not wear masks in public at this point. Being asymptomatic or unaware if you are positive, does not make you exempt from any obligations to ensure society is free from your germs.
Stillwater
RealGM
Posts: 13,813
And1: 3,446
Joined: Jun 15, 2017
   

Re: Predict the next domino 

Post#19 » by Stillwater » Sat Jan 16, 2021 7:21 pm

After Dre's dominant outing against NY if they dont trade him right now...then the odds he is ever traded are slim imo because after all that if teams cant justify giving up value then they will just wait for him to be a fa
There are no valid legal arguments that people have any right to not wear masks in public at this point. Being asymptomatic or unaware if you are positive, does not make you exempt from any obligations to ensure society is free from your germs.
Stillwater
RealGM
Posts: 13,813
And1: 3,446
Joined: Jun 15, 2017
   

Re: Predict the next domino 

Post#20 » by Stillwater » Sat Jan 16, 2021 7:59 pm

I dont know if Boston has any interest in something like this , but here I have Javale and the HOU 22 2nd going to Boston to help them a little cap wise next summer and Javale helps them immediately for a recently drafted injury prone shooter who has struggled badly in their system and doesnt fit Bostons timeline and a Frohio back up that can fix the net without a ladder
https://basketball.realgm.com/tradechecker/saved_trade/7382334
There are no valid legal arguments that people have any right to not wear masks in public at this point. Being asymptomatic or unaware if you are positive, does not make you exempt from any obligations to ensure society is free from your germs.

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers