ImageImageImage

Should the Cavs consider Love off the bench?

Moderator: ijspeelman

jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,083

Should the Cavs consider Love off the bench? 

Post#1 » by jbk1234 » Sun Jan 24, 2021 6:42 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=20

So that tweet, plus what the Warriors did with David Lee, has me considering leaving Nance in as the starting PF and playing Love in more limited minutes off the bench. If there isn't a Drummond trade that makes sense for the Cavs, should our second unit have Love and Allen in the front court with Windler, Cedi, and whoever at PG? I feel like our bench could outscore opposing teams by 10 ppg.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
JonFromVA
RealGM
And1: 4,371

Re: Should the Cavs consider Love off the bench? 

Post#2 » by JonFromVA » Sun Jan 24, 2021 7:59 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=20

So that tweet, plus what the Warriors did with David Lee, has me considering leaving Nance in as the starting PF and playing Love in more limited minutes off the bench. If there isn't a Drummond trade that makes sense for the Cavs, should our second unit have Love and Allen in the front court with Windler, Cedi, and whoever at PG? I feel like our bench could outscore opposing teams by 10 ppg.

Unless Kevin is on a minutes restriction, I presume he goes right back in to the starting lineup. It's just easier to not upset the team's pecking order until it's obvious something has to be done. If we actually have some degree of success with a Drummond+Love front-court, it improves the odds we'll see a return of it next year.

Our bench unit should be pretty awesome, regardless.

We're in an interesting spot with a number of players who may or may not be in the team's long-term interest depending how things break. We might go full on youth movement, but nothing says we have to unless our hand is forced.
tidho
General Manager
And1: 3,064

Re: Should the Cavs consider Love off the bench? 

Post#3 » by tidho » Wed Jan 27, 2021 8:52 pm

I think he'll definitely start again, but most of his minutes should be when Allen is at C. If Drummond is still here that's likely with the 2nd unit, but if he's gone you definitely need Love's offense in a starting unit presumably with Allan and Okoro (and possibly Nance at SF).

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers