ImageImageImage

Game 17: Los Angeles Lakers (13-4) @ Cleveland Cavaliers (8-8) - 8:00 PM

Moderator: ijspeelman

SaiCLE
Rookie
And1: 215

Re: Game 17: Los Angeles Lakers (13-4) @ Cleveland Cavaliers (8-8) - 8:00 PM 

Post#21 » by SaiCLE » Wed Jan 27, 2021 1:15 am

Might sound kind of crazy but I truly believe it was a good thing to get blown out by the Celtics. The Cavs needed to be humbled a bit imo. Now on to the Lakers game.. since the start of the season the Cavs are known for being a tough gritty defensive team that can upset teams that are better than them on paper. The last two Nets games were really good but we ended up losing our defensive identity after playing against them. This game was perfect because you seen that defense come back. We shut down the Lakers except the GOAT lol.

Give this team a year or two before making predictions. Sexton is now seeing how it feels to be that guy & he's adjusting (see his assist numbers except the boston game)
Stillwater
RealGM
And1: 3,655

Post#22 » by Stillwater » Wed Jan 27, 2021 1:48 am

SaiCLE wrote:Might sound kind of crazy but I truly believe it was a good thing to get blown out by the Celtics. The Cavs needed to be humbled a bit imo. Now on to the Lakers game.. since the start of the season the Cavs are known for being a tough gritty defensive team that can upset teams that are better than them on paper. The last two Nets games were really good but we ended up losing our defensive identity after playing against them. This game was perfect because you seen that defense come back. We shut down the Lakers except the GOAT lol.

Give this team a year or two before making predictions. Sexton is now seeing how it feels to be that guy & he's adjusting (see his assist numbers except the boston game)

The way I see it Sexton is never going to be a pass first type of guard but now that he has a decent outlet in the post in Allen his dime totals will be padded. The reality is that is where most of DGs totals were coming from dishing off the bigs all last season as bail outs. Sexton is learning he can do that too but more importantly is realizing with Allen the pass can wait until his mirror is fully committed and still expect Allen to convert unlike TT or Dre or others who almost always have to gather before they do anything that late and often pass it back out aka no dime for Sexton and probably no points on that trip unless he converted it himself
In the end I doubt losing to a much better roster really did much to humble them w/ them knowing the biggest problem was Nance getting hurt off the jump being their best defender all season and they clearly didnt bring it that game at all
SUNDOWN BRINGS A WELCOME CHANGE TO EVERYTHING THAT'S HIDING
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 31,982

Post#23 » by jbk1234 » Wed Jan 27, 2021 4:47 am

DG can run an offense against a good defense. Sexton really can't. I don't know how Garland's *poor play* can be used as excuse for Sexton's *poor play* over the last two games because they spent all of four minutes on the court together.

It's just the same evidence-free conclusion in search of a rationale.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using RealGM mobile app
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
Stillwater
RealGM
And1: 3,655

Post#24 » by Stillwater » Wed Jan 27, 2021 6:32 am

jbk1234 wrote:DG can run an offense against a good defense. Sexton really can't. I don't know how Garland's *poor play* can be used as excuse for Sexton's *poor play* over the last two games because they spent all of four minutes on the court together.

Sounds too me like you are convinced dg is a starting caliber guard despite never showing that level of ability consistently and to me without both guards whoever it is out there which is what i meant there has to be enough attention on both because none of our guards are capable at this juncture of going out there and being the key scorer without the other attracting defenders as well . I am not making this stuff up its plain as day too me. What your trip is lately is a bit disappointing I guess whatever reality you chose to believe you deem as gospel which is pretty sad .
SUNDOWN BRINGS A WELCOME CHANGE TO EVERYTHING THAT'S HIDING
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 31,982

Post#25 » by jbk1234 » Wed Jan 27, 2021 6:04 pm

Stillwater wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:DG can run an offense against a good defense. Sexton really can't. I don't know how Garland's *poor play* can be used as excuse for Sexton's *poor play* over the last two games because they spent all of four minutes on the court together.

Sounds too me like you are convinced dg is a starting caliber guard despite never showing that level of ability consistently and to me without both guards whoever it is out there which is what i meant there has to be enough attention on both because none of our guards are capable at this juncture of going out there and being the key scorer without the other attracting defenders as well . I am not making this stuff up its plain as day too me. What your trip is lately is a bit disappointing I guess whatever reality you chose to believe you deem as gospel which is pretty sad .

It's really this simple, the yardsticks by which you measure the success for these two players are completely different. Sexton was young, a hard worker, and always had potential to do the things he wasn't doing on the court for two full seasons. Conversely, Garland is who he is after a Covid-shortened rookie season in which he played only 59 games. Garland's assists don't count because he's dumping off to big men (even when he's not). Sexton's lack of assists arise from the fault of his teammates - always. Both players get blitzed/trapped by the same defenses, Sexton gets turned over so badly he gets pulled out of the game, Garland doesn't, and yet who are you critical of? Garland. You cannot even pretend to be objective in your evaluation of these guys and it's gotten very, very old.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
JonFromVA
RealGM
And1: 4,351

Post#26 » by JonFromVA » Wed Jan 27, 2021 9:50 pm

Stillwater will come around ... Garland just has to play like a superstar everynight and make no mistakes. :)

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers