ImageImageImage

Game 29 : Cleveland Cavaliers (10-18) @ Golden State Warriors (14-13) - 10:00PM

Moderator: ijspeelman

jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,121

Re: Game 29 : Cleveland Cavaliers (10-18) @ Golden State Warriors (14-13) - 10:00PM 

Post#21 » by jbk1234 » Tue Feb 16, 2021 3:42 pm

Stillwater wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:Man, when Dotson goes 4-8 from the field and leads the team in FG% for the night, you know it's time for the road trip to be over. It would be great if the Cavs could get back a legit backup PG, or even combo guard, in a Drummond trade because Garland and Sexton are showing signs of playing too many minutes.

30% from the floor isnt going to cut it and yeah dg still isnt nba level endurance wise.
Those 3 blocks on dg in a row followed by 2 tired open misses were terrible for his camp

Neither Sexton nor Garland looked like they had their legs under them last night. That's the way it goes sometimes in the last night of a long road trip. It's just that usually you don't leave guys out there for 40 and 39 minutes under those circumstances. Garland was clearly exhausted by the time the 4th quarter rolled around, the game was out of reach, at least in my mind the game was out of reach, and I'm not really sure what the point of leaving him out there was.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
Revenged25
Analyst
And1: 1,002

Re: Game 29 : Cleveland Cavaliers (10-18) @ Golden State Warriors (14-13) - 10:00PM 

Post#22 » by Revenged25 » Tue Feb 16, 2021 4:33 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
Revenged25 wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:It sucks, but KPJ has yet to play a minute for any NBA team yet this season. He was traded a month ago and is clearly talented enough to get on the court. People should allow for the possibility that whatever his issues are, they're relatively serious.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using RealGM mobile app

I think most people already knew that. Not sure what your point was. I've said for awhile now that whether he plays in the NBA ever again I just want him to get things figured out as that's more important than our entertainment.

My point is that before fans go placing blame on the organization it's probably important take that in consideration. It doesn't seem like KPJ would be able to help this team right now if he's unable to help the Rockets right now.

Which is why I said there was blame on both sides, not just the org and not just KPJ. Both could've worked things out better than they did.
LivingLegend
Head Coach
And1: 7,745

Post#23 » by LivingLegend » Tue Feb 16, 2021 5:23 pm

Revenged25 wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:
Revenged25 wrote:
I think most people already knew that. Not sure what your point was. I've said for awhile now that whether he plays in the NBA ever again I just want him to get things figured out as that's more important than our entertainment.

My point is that before fans go placing blame on the organization it's probably important take that in consideration. It doesn't seem like KPJ would be able to help this team right now if he's unable to help the Rockets right now.

Which is why I said there was blame on both sides, not just the org and not just KPJ. Both could've worked things out better than they did.

Sam Amico just said on the radio that the Cavs have a weird thing where they just bench players whenever there is a issue.

JR Smith, Kevin Porter and now Andre Drummond. Basically saying how its not a good look for the team and that they should figure out what keeps happening inside of the building first before shutting out players.

It does seem to happen to them a lot more than other teams. I understand KPJ had some issues, I just wish the Cavs would have held onto him a little bit longer to figure it out. Why they didnt just send him to the Canton Charge for a month instead of benching him I will never understand--especially considering they paid 4 2nd round picks to get him just a year before.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#24 » by jbk1234 » Tue Feb 16, 2021 5:35 pm

LivingLegend wrote:
Revenged25 wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:

Sam Amico just said on the radio that the Cavs have a weird thing where they just bench players whenever there is a issue.

JR Smith, Kevin Porter and now Andre Drummond. Basically saying how its not a good look for the team and that they should figure out what keeps happening inside of the building first before shutting out players.

It does seem to happen to them a lot more than other teams. I understand KPJ had some issues, I just wish the Cavs would have held onto him a little bit longer to figure it out. Why they didnt just send him to the Canton Charge for a month instead of benching him I will never understand--especially considering they paid 4 2nd round picks to get him just a year before.

JR Smith's NBA career was trending towards China before the Cavs took a chance on him. After LBJ left, maybe the season before, he was cooked, wanted to start, and was angry when the Cavs decided to start the guy who they selected No. 8 overall. It wasn't that the Cavs didn't communicate what the plan was, it's that JR didn't like the plan. No one would trade for him and he refused to take a buyout so the Cavs paid him $16M to stay away. After his contract mercifully expert, the Lakers signed him as a favor to Klutch and he got close to zero minutes on that team. He is now out of the league.

The Cavs told Drummond they were going to go with Allen and that's what led to Drummond asking for a trade because he's heading into a FA summer and his value would be considerably less if he's viewed as a guy who's not a full time starter (even if a situational starter role is where he probably adds the most value to a team).

KPJ situation is what it is but the reality is he has not played a single minute for the Houston Rockets despite being a pretty talented player and doing well in the G league. If the issue was the Cavs, people should ask themselves why that is.

Amico is a clown.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
LivingLegend
Head Coach

Post#25 » by LivingLegend » Tue Feb 16, 2021 5:45 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
LivingLegend wrote:
Revenged25 wrote:

JR Smith's NBA career was trending towards China before the Cavs took a chance on him. After LBJ left, maybe the season before, he was cooked, wanted to start, and was angry when the Cavs decided to start the guy who they selected No. 8 overall. It wasn't that the Cavs didn't communicate what the plan was, it's that JR didn't like the plan. No one would trade for him and he refused to take a buyout so the Cavs paid him $16M to stay away. After his contract mercifully expert, the Lakers signed him as a favor to Klutch and he got close to zero minutes on that team. He is now out of the league.

The Cavs told Drummond they were going to go with Allen and that's what led to Drummond asking for a trade because he's heading into a FA summer and his value would be considerably less if he's viewed as a guy who's not a full time starter (even if a situational starter role where he probably adds the most value to a team).

KPJ situation is what it is but the reality is he has not played a single minute for the Houston Rockets despite being a pretty talented player and doing well in the G league. If the issue was the Cavs, people should ask themselves why that is.

Amico is a clown.

Oh I get it, the last month just has a weird feeling you know? Something is going on that is being hidden very well I just dont know what it is.

Just some note:

-Drummond mentally checked out after the Allen trade
-He had multiple meetings with Cavs FO members about his attitude
-Jarrett Allen is yelling at Collin Sexton on the court
-The Cavs ball movement offense they started the season with is no longer existent
-They give little effort on defense anymore
-Cavs are dead last in the NBA in 3pt attempts in a pace/space league
-Sexton, Garland and Okoro have all fell off a cliff after than Nets mini-series. Especially Garland/Okoro

It just seems like they are not only regressing, but no longer bought into the system. I really hope its not a case of JB losing the ear of the players on the team.
Revenged25
Analyst
And1: 1,002

Post#26 » by Revenged25 » Tue Feb 16, 2021 6:01 pm

LivingLegend wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:
LivingLegend wrote:

The Cavs told Drummond they were going to go with Allen and that's what led to Drummond asking for a trade because he's heading into a FA summer and his value would be considerably less if he's viewed as a guy who's not a full time starter (even if a situational starter role where he probably adds the most value to a team).

Amico is a clown.

Oh I get it, the last month just has a weird feeling you know? Something is going on that is being hidden very well I just dont know what it is.

Just some note:

-The Cavs ball movement offense they started the season with is no longer existent
-Sexton, Garland and Okoro have all fell off a cliff after than Nets mini-series. Especially Garland/Okoro

It just seems like they are not only regressing, but no longer bought into the system. I really hope its not a case of JB losing the ear of the players on the team.

1) Agreed
2) Agreed, probably started with the Allen trade
3) Non-Issue. When you're losing you get frustrated and sometimes lash out. Already reported as such and a non-issue that's been resolved.
4) Agreed, but that is also in part due to Nance being out, Exum being gone from the second unit, Cedi not hitting shots, and everyone seeming to fall into an iso offense as we are shooting 3s abysmally when they do make them.
5) Effort has declined, might be due to the losing and just letting it get to them, also teams have figured out how the Cavs play defense and exploiting it.
6) Even when they do shoot them they aren't making them so they don't take them which means they are less likely to start making them, feeding into a vicious cycle.
7) Sexton isn't playing as well as he did to start but he's still scoring 20+ on 50+% from the field and actually getting to the line more so not quite a cliff for him. Also partly expected from Okoro as he's a rookie and they typically have their ups and downs. Garland... well we all know how several of us feel about him.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#27 » by jbk1234 » Tue Feb 16, 2021 6:10 pm

LivingLegend wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:
LivingLegend wrote:

Amico is a clown.

Just some note:

We were a mediocre team with Love and Nance available. We were a bad but respectable team defensively with Love out and Nance in. Without Love or Nance, we're a bottom-ten team. Add to that the fact that we've lost Delly, Exum, and KPJ, our bench is basically Cedi/McGee with fringe NBA/G League players, and we're a bottom-five team. Sexton is having a difficult time now that other teams have actually scouted his tendencies, both he and Garland are playing too many minutes because of what's happened to our backup guards, and we just finished a seven game road trip against vastly superior competition that ran us out of the gym six out of the seven games. So yeah, morale is low but replacing Bickerstaff isn't going to fix that.

Love is back this week. If the Drummond trade can return a backup guard who can run an offense, and Sexton/Garland can get their legs back, then we can probably get back to respectably bad.

As far as the long-term, Cedi, Sexton, Garland, and Okoro need to spend all off season just shooting three pointers. It's pretty clear that the Cavs can't rely on Love to be available for even 75% of an NBA season at this point and a team that's dead last in three point attempts, and makes, isn't going to be good in the modern NBA. I think the Cavs have a decision to make on Sexton in terms of him being a full time starter, whether they want to hand him the type of contract he's likely to want, and given his limitations, what committing to him as a starter and paying him that type of money will mean for the organization long-term. You want to make that decision well before the deadline next year lest you send a clear message to the rest of the NBA that you don't want to pay him big dollars because you don't want to make that commitment.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
LivingLegend
Head Coach

Post#28 » by LivingLegend » Tue Feb 16, 2021 6:31 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
LivingLegend wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:

Amico is a clown.

Just some note:

We were a mediocre team with Love and Nance available. We were a bad but respectable team defensively with Love out and Nance in. Without Love or Nance, we're a bottom-ten team. Add to that the fact that we've lost Delly, Exum, and KPJ, our bench is basically Cedi/McGee with fringe NBA/G League players, and we're a bottom-five team. Sexton is having a difficult time now that other teams have actually scouted his tendencies, both he and Garland are playing too many minutes because of what's happened to our backup guards, and we just finished a seven game road trip against vastly superior competition that ran us out of the gym six out of the seven games. So yeah, morale is low but replacing Bickerstaff isn't going to fix that.

Love is back this week. If the Drummond trade can return a backup guard who can run an offense, and Sexton/Garland can get their legs back, then we can probably get back to respectably bad.

As far as the long-term, Cedi, Sexton, Garland, and Okoro need to spend all off season just shooting three pointers. It's pretty clear that the Cavs can't rely on Love to be available for even 75% of an NBA season at this point and a team that's dead last in three point attempts, and makes, isn't going to be good in the modern NBA. I think the Cavs have a decision to make on Sexton in terms of him being a full time starter, whether they want to hand him the type of contract he's likely to want, and given his limitations, what committing to him as a starter and paying him that type of money will mean for the organization long-term. You want to make that decision well before the deadline next year lest you send a clear message to the rest of the NBA that you don't want to pay him big dollars because you don't want to make that commitment.

Weirdly enough the Cavs are missing the 3 players they desperately need right now. The old (somewhat reliable) Cavs with Delly, Love and Nance. All 3 of those guys returning would provide a massive lift to the younger guys around them.

Delly especially considering his playmaking ability like Exum provided. Somebody needs to be able to come in and get guys their shots.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#29 » by jbk1234 » Tue Feb 16, 2021 6:43 pm

LivingLegend wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:
LivingLegend wrote:

Just some note:

Weirdly enough the Cavs are missing the 3 players they desperately need right now. The old (somewhat reliable) Cavs with Delly, Love and Nance. All 3 of those guys returning would provide a massive lift to the younger guys around them.

Delly especially considering his playmaking ability like Exum provided. Somebody needs to be able to come in and get guys their shots.

I don't know that someone who's been out with a concussion this long should come back and play a professional sport.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Harper4Ferry?
Starter
And1: 78

Post#30 » by Harper4Ferry? » Tue Feb 16, 2021 6:46 pm

San Antonio game is cancelled. Next game is friday vs freaking Denver.
LivingLegend
Head Coach

Post#31 » by LivingLegend » Tue Feb 16, 2021 7:17 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
LivingLegend wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:

I don't know that someone who's been out with a concussion this long should come back and play a professional sport.

I agree with that, the Cavs though need to find a veteran PG to help Sexton/Garland and if they want to stay in the playoff race towards the end of the season, they need to make sure to find one in whatever the Drummond trade brings.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#32 » by jbk1234 » Tue Feb 16, 2021 7:19 pm

LivingLegend wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:
LivingLegend wrote:

I agree with that, the Cavs though need to find a veteran PG to help Sexton/Garland and if they want to stay in the playoff race towards the end of the season, they need to make sure to find one in whatever the Drummond trade brings.

Wait, people still think we're in the playoff race?
cbosh4mvp wrote:
LivingLegend
Head Coach

Post#33 » by LivingLegend » Tue Feb 16, 2021 7:23 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
LivingLegend wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:

If they can get back to playing how they did in the first month of the season, adding Nance/Love back and having the schedule loosen up a bit yeah I dont think grabbing the 7th or 8th seed is out of the question.

I know thats nothing to strive for but it makes watching the Cavs far more enjoyable than already looking at mock drafts 5 months before the draft even happens.
JonFromVA
RealGM
And1: 4,379

Post#34 » by JonFromVA » Tue Feb 16, 2021 7:24 pm

gflem wrote:Frankly, the only player in their starting lineup that I can stand is that Juan Carlo whatever guy. Another beat down tonight and I am really gonna need to take a break from this team.

I have some catching up to do myself (or perhaps just some deleting to do). Playing AC Odyssey on my PS5 has been more entertaining than watching the Cavs lately.

I'm glad to hear they made a decision on Drummond ... of course it couldn't come without controversy. LeBron's gone. Leave the Cavs alone.
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#35 » by JonFromVA » Tue Feb 16, 2021 7:37 pm

Harper4Ferry? wrote:San Antonio game is cancelled. Next game is friday vs freaking Denver.

Good news about the layoff. The team will have some time to recover and maybe even run some practices.

Would be nice if we can at least put up a fight .vs. Denver at normal elevations.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#36 » by jbk1234 » Tue Feb 16, 2021 7:45 pm

LivingLegend wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:
LivingLegend wrote:

If they can get back to playing how they did in the first month of the season, adding Nance/Love back and having the schedule loosen up a bit yeah I dont think grabbing the 7th or 8th seed is out of the question.

I know thats nothing to strive for but it makes watching the Cavs far more enjoyable than already looking at mock drafts 5 months before the draft even happens.

I admire your optimism. We're currently 10-19 and if we could play .500 ball for the rest of the season, that might get us in. But honestly, I'm not seeing it and I think the Cavs need another lottery pick and Okoro really working on his shot this summer in order to become anything resembling a good team. There's two players on this team I'd be comfortable identifying as key pieces in a rebuild (Allen and Garland), one guy I wouldn't trade only because he's a rookie and if he can get his shot working he'll be a completely different player (Okoro), one guy it would take a lot to get me to move because of the intangible value he brings (Nance), and two guys I'd trade if the right deal came along (Sexton and Love).

Basically, I'd be open to trading more than two-thirds of this roster. That's not a roster you want to push into the playoffs. No one on this roster is a No. 1 option on a good team. We're also not a whole being worth more than the sum of their parts teams like the Warriors or Spurs. There's no synergy out there. With only a couple of exceptions, our guys don't really make the players around them better. There are very few easy looks. Some of that may change with Love coming back but that's really the only way to play above the level of talent you have, and right now, we're just not very talented.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Stillwater
RealGM
And1: 3,655

Post#37 » by Stillwater » Tue Feb 16, 2021 7:51 pm

With medical experts predicting the next 12-14 weeks to be the worst of the Pandemic I think there is still a very good chance the 2nd half of the season looks a lot less successful than the first half has been. It is clear the NBA has no interest in protecting it's players if it means they lose revenue from tv contracts and I am sure most players ( contact tracing and the like don't protect the players enough it only protects mass rapid spread )want to play anyway because they dont want to lose the $ either, but at some point its going to hit hard enough to change that I mean we still dont have very many people in arenas some dont have any yet.
What cracks me up is the number of people across the planet esp in Florida that seem to think it's all a big lie still. I was surprised to see how many fools at the Daytona 500 had masks but was not the least bit surprised they had them around their necks not covering their mouth or nose. duh
I would like them to just cancel the season after 38 and maybe the cavs will have a decent shot at Cade or Kuminga
SUNDOWN BRINGS A WELCOME CHANGE TO EVERYTHING THAT'S HIDING
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#38 » by jbk1234 » Tue Feb 16, 2021 7:54 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
Harper4Ferry? wrote:San Antonio game is cancelled. Next game is friday vs freaking Denver.

Good news about the layoff. The team will have some time to recover and maybe even run some practices.

Would be nice if we can at least put up a fight .vs. Denver at normal elevations.

From what I saw, it didn't seem like an elevation issue as much as the Nuggets came in, played physically, and bullied us after having dropped three straight themselves. To the extent that there's any legitimate criticism of Bickerstaff, there's been three or four games where that's happened this year. A team coming off a losing streak has come in and just pushed us all over the court. Movie screens, using their off arm on offense, all of it. He has to say something, and if it's egregious enough, burn a challenge even if it's not getting overturned so that the officials see what the issue is. IMO setting a tone that my team is getting roughed up and that's unacceptable early, is better than getting a single call overturned.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#39 » by JonFromVA » Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:09 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:

From what I saw, it didn't seem like an elevation issue as much as the Nuggets came in, played physically, and bullied us after having dropped three straight themselves. To the extent that there's any legitimate criticism of Bickerstaff, there's been three or four games where that's happened this year. A team coming off a losing streak has come in and just pushed us all over the court. Movie screens, using their off arm on offense, all of it. He has to say something, and if it's egregious enough, burn a challenge even if it's not getting overturned so that the officials see what the issue is. IMO setting a tone that my team is getting roughed up and that's unacceptable early, is better than getting a single call overturned IMO.

Or... tell that one guy on the roster to deliver a hard foul to the other team's star, and the refs will lock things up nice and tight after that ... but who's that one guy on the Cavs?

But it's always been hard to beat Denver in Denver. In a playoff series you can take steps to acclimate the team to the elevation, but when you only play one game there every season? It's tough ... even if players weren't obviously gasping for air.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#40 » by jbk1234 » Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:11 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:

From what I saw, it didn't seem like an elevation issue as much as the Nuggets came in, played physically, and bullied us after having dropped three straight themselves. To the extent that there's any legitimate criticism of Bickerstaff, there's been three or four games where that's happened this year. A team coming off a losing streak has come in and just pushed us all over the court. Movie screens, using their off arm on offense, all of it. He has to say something, and if it's egregious enough, burn a challenge even if it's not getting overturned so that the officials see what the issue is. IMO setting a tone that my team is getting roughed up and that's unacceptable early, is better than getting a single call overturned IMO.

Or... tell that one guy on the roster to deliver a hard foul to the other team's star, and the refs will lock things up nice and tight after that ... but who's that one guy on the Cavs?

But it's always been hard to beat Denver in Denver. In a playoff series you can take steps to acclimate the team to the elevation, but when you only play one game there every season? It's tough ... even if players weren't obviously gasping for air.

Putting in McGee would probably be too obvious.
cbosh4mvp wrote:

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers