Stillwater
RealGM
And1: 3,655

Re: Game 32 : Atlanta Hawks (13-17) @ Cleveland Cavaliers (10-21) - 7:00PM 

Post#61 » by Stillwater » Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:55 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
Stillwater wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
I can't begin to imagine how you got the idea that after playing 5 games in the NCAA and coming off an injury that Garland was NBA ready. The things the Cavs liked about Darius from high-school, AAU, U-19, Nike, Vandy, and that workout are all still the same things they like.

His handle, his vision, his passing, his shooting, and his IQ are all still very promising if still evolving.

Sexton has certainly improve as well, and I'm not expecting that to stop for him either.

But in both cases, it's going to take time to see where they end up and how useful they will ultimately be to a team that wants to win games.

Oh so now he wasnt drafted to replace Sexton ? If he was always a long term play pick then he certainly was not picked to replace Sexton and was by all accounts the orgs evaluation of the BPA and they literally had no interest in winning for several seasons despite having paid KLove a monster contract etc.
I think they definitely thought they were getting a NBA caliber starting pg and planned to move Sexton to the 6th man until the awoke a beast in Sexton and DG layed a big fat rookie terd.
Now what is it they are hoping for? some better chemistry and singing kumbaya around the dumpster fire?
I dont buy it. DG is obviously not the guy they thought and neither is Sexton when they drafted DG.They should accept they fd up and move on. It's time to get something for DG but I fully expect them to keep riding this train until he isnt worth peewee squats

You have an odd way of over-complicating things.

Oh, Darius stepped right in and replaced Collin as the team's starting PG and easily topped Collin's rookie assist total even while playing with him - but that wasn't exactly a high-bar. The Cavs preference is and was that both players are able to play to their strengths as they evolve in to whatever they will become - and hopefully that's accelerated by throwing them a ton of minutes.

so he was drafted to replace him and has done nothing to justify it beyond padding his dime totals with bail out passes as he continues to fail to take and make shots at any level regardless of who is defending him... wheaties aint gonna help him
SUNDOWN BRINGS A WELCOME CHANGE TO EVERYTHING THAT'S HIDING
JonFromVA
RealGM
And1: 4,373

Post#62 » by JonFromVA » Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:30 pm

Stillwater wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
Stillwater wrote:Oh so now he wasnt drafted to replace Sexton ? If he was always a long term play pick then he certainly was not picked to replace Sexton and was by all accounts the orgs evaluation of the BPA and they literally had no interest in winning for several seasons despite having paid KLove a monster contract etc.
I think they definitely thought they were getting a NBA caliber starting pg and planned to move Sexton to the 6th man until the awoke a beast in Sexton and DG layed a big fat rookie terd.
Now what is it they are hoping for? some better chemistry and singing kumbaya around the dumpster fire?
I dont buy it. DG is obviously not the guy they thought and neither is Sexton when they drafted DG.They should accept they fd up and move on. It's time to get something for DG but I fully expect them to keep riding this train until he isnt worth peewee squats

Oh, Darius stepped right in and replaced Collin as the team's starting PG and easily topped Collin's rookie assist total even while playing with him - but that wasn't exactly a high-bar. The Cavs preference is and was that both players are able to play to their strengths as they evolve in to whatever they will become - and hopefully that's accelerated by throwing them a ton of minutes.

so he was drafted to replace him and has done nothing to justify it beyond padding his dime totals with bail out passes as he continues to fail to take and make shots at any level regardless of who is defending him... wheaties aint gonna help him

I'm not sure why you keep repeating yourself. We drafted a PG because we quickly discovered Collin lacked any actual PG skills.

And if all it takes to play PG for JB Bickerstaff is to be "willing to pad dime totals with bail out passes and fail to take and make shots at any level", how in the world did Collin flub it?

Got another strawman you care to dissect?
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,086

Post#63 » by jbk1234 » Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:31 pm

Stillwater wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
Stillwater wrote:So if DG is that level of player then why no domination? It aint the reality that I am seeing at all. Now that being said I absolutely was on board with the Sexton pick and will die on that hill because of 2 things: 1 he had elite speed and is virtually unstoppable in the open court. 2 nobody could ever get him to stop working even when the guy with the keys to the castle was screaming at him he had to lock it up.
I have no regrets about them taking Sexton and passing up the deal even if now some suggest it wasnt real.
I do have a problem with this kid who wowed a bunch of CLE staffers in a one on nobody workout with elite shooting displays and ball handling expertise and then backed it up with a rookie season as the worst starter in the NBA on paper except maybe Knox and then DG came into this season in better health with all kinds of promises that have yet to come to fruition. He cant do what he can do against NBA players. He shows flashes but he cannot do anything good enough consistently and almost all of that has to do with lack of speed and lack of athleticism because the opportunities he creates are good only if he had those attributes.
He can start playing the Trae foul seeking game and maybe make his mark in the league esp if he starts making open shots from the logo on a high clip since the league loves these types of underdogs for their marketing campaigns but nobody in the league offices is stupid enough to believe DG or anyone like him is a playoff caliber starter unless he is in the 50/40/90 club and doing it at a high usage rate,
I am pretty much done with the Sexland experiment , they sometimes work offensively if there is a 3rd floor stretcher out there but rarely work defensively even though both are trying/.

If Darius was playing more unconstrained, you'd see more of the "flashes" you'd like to see, but mostly you'd see an even bigger train wreck on the floor because by hook or crook his shot and his confidence in it are not where they need to be.

Why?

Because like most NBA players he hasn't figured everything out at 21.

For a prospect whos selling point was being as NBA ready as humanly possible as a scorer and playmaker and when he had the one on noone workout indicated he was farther along in his injury recovery and certainly closer than 2 years away from any significant impact of any kind...one would only come to the conclusion his workout was not a good indicator of his ability to dominate in the NBA just in a one on noone gym.
I am trying to be objective although it may not ever seem like it, but the kid was anything but NBA ready same as Sexton and I am not patient enough to see if DG's shooting improves enough to cover for his lack of athleticism whereas Sexton has proved a thousand times over to be a better scorer than people thought based on college film and his ability to transfer the skill despite some mental hiccups trying to learn on the fly he has no physical limitations and came into camp jacked up.
I give them the rest of the season and would not be the least bit surprised if DG is traded on draft day or has stepped up his game so much in the 2nd half that I am eating crow and the rest of you are dancing on my corpse
This is nonsense. Garland was not considered an NBA ready player by any scout or any mock draft. He played all of 4 friggin games in college and was 19.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using RealGM mobile app
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#64 » by Stillwater » Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:35 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
Stillwater wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
If Darius was playing more unconstrained, you'd see more of the "flashes" you'd like to see, but mostly you'd see an even bigger train wreck on the floor because by hook or crook his shot and his confidence in it are not where they need to be.

Why?

Because like most NBA players he hasn't figured everything out at 21.

For a prospect whos selling point was being as NBA ready as humanly possible as a scorer and playmaker and when he had the one on noone workout indicated he was farther along in his injury recovery and certainly closer than 2 years away from any significant impact of any kind...one would only come to the conclusion his workout was not a good indicator of his ability to dominate in the NBA just in a one on noone gym.
I am trying to be objective although it may not ever seem like it, but the kid was anything but NBA ready same as Sexton and I am not patient enough to see if DG's shooting improves enough to cover for his lack of athleticism whereas Sexton has proved a thousand times over to be a better scorer than people thought based on college film and his ability to transfer the skill despite some mental hiccups trying to learn on the fly he has no physical limitations and came into camp jacked up.
I give them the rest of the season and would not be the least bit surprised if DG is traded on draft day or has stepped up his game so much in the 2nd half that I am eating crow and the rest of you are dancing on my corpse
This is nonsense. Garland was not considered an NBA ready player by any scout or any mock draft. He played all of 4 friggin games in college and was 19.

Thanks for missing the sarcasm... but there was clearly an argument being made by many a cavs fan that DG was better than Sexton before they ever drafted him lol
what is nonsense is the continual supporting of a meh nba point guard as if he going to be better than he is by any measure worthy enough to justify taking him at 5th overall. It aint gonna ever happen
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#65 » by Stillwater » Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:48 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
Stillwater wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:

I'm not sure why you keep repeating yourself. We drafted a PG because we quickly discovered Collin lacked any actual PG skills.

And if all it takes to play PG for JB Bickerstaff is to be "willing to pad dime totals with bail out passes and fail to take and make shots at any level", how in the world did Collin flub it?

How many times was Sexton given a chance to be free from DGs contributions or should I say slow ass detrimental pace since DG was drafted other than DG was injured & out of the way ? In those situations with DG out of the way you see Sextons passing improvements are real. I dont really care if Sexton is a 6th man or running the offense but DG needs to go
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#66 » by JonFromVA » Sat Feb 27, 2021 7:43 pm

Stillwater wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
Stillwater wrote:so he was drafted to replace him and has done nothing to justify it beyond padding his dime totals with bail out passes as he continues to fail to take and make shots at any level regardless of who is defending him... wheaties aint gonna help him

How many times was Sexton given a chance to be free from DGs contributions or should I say slow ass detrimental pace since DG was drafted other than DG was injured & out of the way ? In those situations with DG out of the way you see Sextons passing improvements are real. I dont really care if Sexton is a 6th man or running the offense but DG needs to go

Should I just start whining that deferring to Sexton is holding back Garland? It'd at least be harder to disprove given Sexton got to play an entire season without DG.

We should both probably be happy because the Cavs weren't going to take your boy Sekou, they'd probably take Culver if they decided not to go with Garland.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#67 » by Stillwater » Sat Feb 27, 2021 8:30 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
Stillwater wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:

Should I just start whining that deferring to Sexton is holding back Garland? It'd at least be harder to disprove given Sexton got to play an entire season without DG.

We should both probably be happy because the Cavs weren't going to take your boy Sekou, they'd probably take Culver if they decided not to go with Garland.

Let me guess you are looking at Culver and Sekou +- rating on tanking teams lol...btw I am glad they didnt take Culver either since he has been a slow slow learner and not adjusting to the nba well at all. Sekou on the other hand is probably on the worst team in the NBA so I give him a pass as he was always a long term developmental kid anyway unlike DG was touted.
This notion than anyone thought DG was a project is ludicrous. He just hasnt transferred into being a legit guard beyond a regular season average at best one
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#68 » by JonFromVA » Sat Feb 27, 2021 9:09 pm

Stillwater wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
Stillwater wrote:How many times was Sexton given a chance to be free from DGs contributions or should I say slow ass detrimental pace since DG was drafted other than DG was injured & out of the way ? In those situations with DG out of the way you see Sextons passing improvements are real. I dont really care if Sexton is a 6th man or running the offense but DG needs to go

Let me guess you are looking at Culver and Sekou +- rating on tanking teams lol...btw I am glad they didnt take Culver either since he has been a slow slow learner and not adjusting to the nba well at all. Sekou on the other hand is probably on the worst team in the NBA so I give him a pass as he was always a long term developmental kid anyway unlike DG was touted.
This notion than anyone thought DG was a project is ludicrous. He just hasnt transferred into being a legit guard beyond a regular season average at best one

Even non-projects need development time.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#69 » by Stillwater » Sat Feb 27, 2021 9:16 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
Stillwater wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:

Im not one of these people who keeps hitting snooze. DG needs to step the f up this season or he will be replaced this summer book it.
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#70 » by JonFromVA » Sun Feb 28, 2021 5:15 am

Stillwater wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
Stillwater wrote:Let me guess you are looking at Culver and Sekou +- rating on tanking teams lol...btw I am glad they didnt take Culver either since he has been a slow slow learner and not adjusting to the nba well at all. Sekou on the other hand is probably on the worst team in the NBA so I give him a pass as he was always a long term developmental kid anyway unlike DG was touted.

Im not one of these people who keeps hitting snooze. DG needs to step the f up this season or he will be replaced this summer book it.

Dream on ... it's easy to look at one of his up & down performances like tonite vs the Sixers and wonder how good he'll be if he can eliminate the downs as he grows stronger, learns the league, and stabilizes his shooting.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,086

Post#71 » by jbk1234 » Sun Feb 28, 2021 5:40 am

There was a game tonight. Locking this thread. Also, if anyone wants to mod this forum, please, let me know.

cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers