ImageImageImage

DG to the Pacers - what would it take?

Moderator: ijspeelman

Topofthekey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,883

DG to the Pacers - what would it take? 

Post#1 » by Topofthekey » Sun Feb 28, 2021 6:49 pm

Hi guys. Just wondering whether there is a win-win trade involving DG going to the Pacers

What do you guys think is a decent offer from Pacers for DG?
Revenged25
Analyst
And1: 1,002

Re: DG to the Pacers - what would it take? 

Post#2 » by Revenged25 » Sun Feb 28, 2021 6:49 pm

Topofthekey wrote:Hi guys. Just wondering whether there is a win-win trade involving DG going to the Pacers

What do you guys think is a decent offer from Pacers for DG?

Sabonis?
Stillwater
RealGM
And1: 3,655

Post#3 » by Stillwater » Sun Feb 28, 2021 7:31 pm

No , I would move him for less right now myself but Altman is not trading DG for less than the Pacers 21 first on draft day and only of if the pick location in the 1-8 range w/ salary fillers like McConnell and Stanley or something similar.He showed another gear last night now that they are realizing they can run and maybe get some wins as a result but I dont see any players on the Pacers the Cavs would want so a lottery pick would be the ask imo
SUNDOWN BRINGS A WELCOME CHANGE TO EVERYTHING THAT'S HIDING
JonFromVA
RealGM
And1: 4,381

Post#4 » by JonFromVA » Sun Feb 28, 2021 7:36 pm

Stillwater wrote:No , I would move him for less right now myself but Altman is not trading DG for less than the Pacers 21 first on draft day and only of if the pick location in the 1-8 range w/ salary fillers like McConnell and Stanley or something similar.He showed another gear last night now that they are realizing they can run and maybe get some wins as a result but I dont see any players on the Pacers the Cavs would want so a lottery pick would be the ask imo

:o
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#5 » by Stillwater » Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:46 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
Stillwater wrote:No , I would move him for less right now myself but Altman is not trading DG for less than the Pacers 21 first on draft day and only of if the pick location in the 1-8 range w/ salary fillers like McConnell and Stanley or something similar.He showed another gear last night now that they are realizing they can run and maybe get some wins as a result but I dont see any players on the Pacers the Cavs would want so a lottery pick would be the ask imo

As difficult as it may be for you to do, I am curious what you think DG could fetch on the trade block if he was available now or on draft day. I have been harder on him than most but I do understand that level of skill and awareness offensively currently is attractive to teams with a slow pace at least when said guard is a good defender which he isnt at least not yet,Hence the problems on this roster given their slow pace most of the season but if he shows he can run consistently like last night his value not only to potential suiters increases but so does his worth on the Cavs roster where it would be more difficult to pry him away.
Personally think they would be selling high right now and his ceiling is already capped at close to what we see as is, but I expect most think esp you that is far from true.
Harper4Ferry?
Starter
And1: 78

Post#6 » by Harper4Ferry? » Sun Feb 28, 2021 10:10 pm

I'd do it for LeVert if he is going to make a full recovery.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#7 » by Stillwater » Mon Mar 1, 2021 12:20 am

Harper4Ferry? wrote:I'd do it for LeVert if he is going to make a full recovery.

yeah he wont and even if he does hes injury prone hes had injury issues since before entering the league
Revenged25
Analyst
And1: 1,002

Post#8 » by Revenged25 » Mon Mar 1, 2021 12:30 am

Harper4Ferry? wrote:I'd do it for LeVert if he is going to make a full recovery.

Wondering if LeVert is going to make a full recovery has been the question since he entered the NBA. I love his skillset but he's too injury prone to consider trading Garland for him. If they didn't make the trade for Jarrett Allen then making a trade for Myles Turner to play center next to Nance/Love would've made sense but now it's really only Sabonis on their roster that I can think of that would make sense.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#9 » by Stillwater » Mon Mar 1, 2021 12:56 am

Revenged25 wrote:

Wondering if LeVert is going to make a full recovery has been the question since he entered the NBA. I love his skillset but he's too injury prone to consider trading Garland for him. If they didn't make the trade for Jarrett Allen then making a trade for Myles Turner to play center next to Nance/Love would've made sense but now it's really only Sabonis on their roster that I can think of that would make sense.

Certainly zero chance of any deal with Indy if the Cavs only interest would be in Sabonis. DG isnt worth an 1/8th of what Sabonis is worth on the trade market at the moment.
I think if anything there is very little chance we see anything change in the backcourt until this summer unless somebody offers 2 lottery picks and twists their arm enough to move Sexton.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,123

Post#10 » by jbk1234 » Mon Mar 1, 2021 2:22 am

I don't think Garland is currently available. I suspect the soonest Sexton or Garland might be made available is after the lottery. I assume the Pacers would want to pair him with Brogdon and that's who I'd want in return.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using RealGM mobile app
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#11 » by JonFromVA » Mon Mar 1, 2021 2:53 am

Stillwater wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:

As difficult as it may be for you to do, I am curious what you think DG could fetch on the trade block if he was available now or on draft day. I have been harder on him than most but I do understand that level of skill and awareness offensively currently is attractive to teams with a slow pace at least when said guard is a good defender which he isnt at least not yet,Hence the problems on this roster given their slow pace most of the season but if he shows he can run consistently like last night his value not only to potential suiters increases but so does his worth on the Cavs roster where it would be more difficult to pry him away.
Personally think they would be selling high right now and his ceiling is already capped at close to what we see as is, but I expect most think esp you that is far from true.

Garland is worth more to us than another team as we've already invested 2 years in his development and teams are very guarded with their own lottery picks. Supposedly the Cavs turned down Steph and Klay for Kyrie. The hope of that potential is overwhelmingly strong.
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#12 » by JonFromVA » Mon Mar 1, 2021 2:57 am

jbk1234 wrote:I don't think Garland is currently available. I suspect the soonest Sexton or Garland might be made available is after the lottery. I assume the Pacers would want to pair him with Brogdon and that's who I'd want in return

When either of them is playing well enough that it'd be worth trading them, we'll want to keep them.

In a few years when we have a better idea of their ceiling? sure, but other than that it'd take a big trade that makes all our pieces fit, gets one of them out of the way for someone else, or a trade demand.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#13 » by Stillwater » Mon Mar 1, 2021 3:27 am

JonFromVA wrote:
Stillwater wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:

Garland is worth more to us than another team as we've already invested 2 years in his development and teams are very guarded with their own lottery picks. Supposedly the Cavs turned down Steph and Klay for Kyrie. The hope of that potential is overwhelmingly strong.
when was this? lol GSW would not have made that kind of ludicrous offer imo /has to be bs
IF the cavs are as high on dg as you seem to be you are right they wouldnt trade him for Cade or Kuminga...and theyd be fools not too
KuruptedCav
Analyst
And1: 1,125

Post#14 » by KuruptedCav » Mon Mar 1, 2021 4:09 am

Stillwater wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
Stillwater wrote: As difficult as it may be for you to do, I am curious what you think DG could fetch on the trade block if he was available now or on draft day. I have been harder on him than most but I do understand that level of skill and awareness offensively currently is attractive to teams with a slow pace at least when said guard is a good defender which he isnt at least not yet,Hence the problems on this roster given their slow pace most of the season but if he shows he can run consistently like last night his value not only to potential suiters increases but so does his worth on the Cavs roster where it would be more difficult to pry him away.

when was this? lol GSW would not have made that kind of ludicrous offer imo /has to be bs
IF the cavs are as high on dg as you seem to be you are right they wouldnt trade him for Cade or Kuminga...and theyd be fools not too

It wasn’t Kyrie; the deal was Steph Curry and Klay Thompson for Chris Paul in 2011. They also tried to ship Curry off to Milwaukee in 2011 for Bogut. But the Bucks were so concerned about Curry’s ankles that they preferred Monta Ellis...

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#15 » by Stillwater » Mon Mar 1, 2021 4:21 am

KuruptedCav wrote:
Stillwater wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:

It wasn’t Kyrie; the deal was Steph Curry and Klay Thompson for Chris Paul in 2011. They also tried to ship Curry off to Milwaukee in 2011 for Bogut. But the Bucks were so concerned about Curry’s ankles that they preferred Monta Ellis...

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app

Thats more reasonable but the Klay inclusion is the part that is making that push ridiculous even though the obvious point jfv was making is its too soon to give up on the next steph which imo dg will never be.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#16 » by jbk1234 » Mon Mar 1, 2021 5:32 am

JonFromVA wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:I don't think Garland is currently available. I suspect the soonest Sexton or Garland might be made available is after the lottery. I assume the Pacers would want to pair him with Brogdon and that's who I'd want in return

When either of them is playing well enough that it'd be worth trading them, we'll want to keep them.

In a few years when we have a better idea of their ceiling? sure, but other than that it'd take a big trade that makes all our pieces fit, gets one of them out of the way for someone else, or a trade demand.
We'll see I guess, but I worry about an approach where you're financially committing to a backcourt that's undersized where both of them appear to be second options on a good team.

By the time you're 100% convinced as to their ceilings, everyone else will be as well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using RealGM mobile app
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
Topofthekey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,883

Post#17 » by Topofthekey » Mon Mar 1, 2021 1:40 pm

Wow, a lot of good feedback. Interesting read. Thanks guys

Yes, the thought process is to pair him with Brogdon. Pacers miss having a guard with offensive gravity ever since trading Oladipo. In particular a guard with good quickness who can attack and probe the defense. Brogdon is an competent and efficient scorer, but he's the type who plays well off and capitalizes on someone else's gravity, more than the type who is able to generate offensive gravity himself. The hope is that DG can develop into someone like that for the Pacers. His lack of size doesn't bother the Pacers, if they're pairing him with Brogdon
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#18 » by jbk1234 » Mon Mar 1, 2021 3:15 pm

Topofthekey wrote:Wow, a lot of good feedback. Interesting read. Thanks guys

Yes, the thought process is to pair him with Brogdon. Pacers miss having a guard with offensive gravity ever since trading Oladipo. In particular a guard with good quickness who can attack and probe the defense. Brogdon is an competent and efficient scorer, but he's the type who plays well off and capitalizes on someone else's gravity, more than the type who is able to generate offensive gravity himself. The hope is that DG can develop into someone like that for the Pacers. His lack of size doesn't bother the Pacers, if they're pairing him with Brogdon

Assuming the Cavs see a potential franchise player in the top 3, and assuming we once again get stuck around No. 5, I think the play is to attach either Sexton or Garland to our pick and go up and get the guy.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#19 » by JonFromVA » Mon Mar 1, 2021 4:06 pm

Stillwater wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
Stillwater wrote: As difficult as it may be for you to do, I am curious what you think DG could fetch on the trade block if he was available now or on draft day. I have been harder on him than most but I do understand that level of skill and awareness offensively currently is attractive to teams with a slow pace at least when said guard is a good defender which he isnt at least not yet,Hence the problems on this roster given their slow pace most of the season but if he shows he can run consistently like last night his value not only to potential suiters increases but so does his worth on the Cavs roster where it would be more difficult to pry him away.

My point was the opposite ... no team is going to offer us a Cade or Kuminga for Garland even if he was playing like you wished he was.

I couldn't find a link to backup the rumor directly, but there was this one that says the Warriors were actively shopping the pair around in 2011 for CP3 and others:

https://www.radio.com/957thegame/articles/golden-state-warriors/warriors-tried-to-trade-steph-and-klay-for-cp3-in-2011
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#20 » by JonFromVA » Mon Mar 1, 2021 4:23 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:

We'll see I guess, but I worry about an approach where you're financially committing to a backcourt that's undersized where both of them appear to be second options on a good team.

By the time you're 100% convinced as to their ceilings, everyone else will be as well.

And that's what makes building through the lottery so much fun ... if you overpay you may end up with dead weight you can't trade, if you refuse to pay you lose an asset for nothing, if you trade you risk ending up with a bad return, and if you underpay you risk alienating the player and eventually losing him.

Trading Milwaukee's unprotected pick for Allen when it looks like it's going to be late first rounder was a no-brainer, but that was still apparently the best Houston/Philly could get for him (and move Prince too). Sure team's don't like investing in the C position, but that doesn't stop teams taking C's in the top-5 year after year that *might* end up being better than Allen.

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers