Moderator: ijspeelman

jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,134

Re: Game 36 : Indiana Pacers (15-18) @ Cleveland Cavaliers (14-21) - 7:00 PM 

Post#21 » by jbk1234 » Thu Mar 4, 2021 6:07 am

Harper4Ferry? wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:Love to have Windler on the floor, not get a shot, and watch Dotson take a 37 footer.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using RealGM mobile app

Dotson is not an NBA player. At least not as a ball handler at all. He keeps picking up his dribble at 35 feet out. It's unnerving.
He had one good game and he became the backup QB on this forum.

cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
Stillwater
RealGM
And1: 3,655

Post#22 » by Stillwater » Thu Mar 4, 2021 7:54 am

jbk1234 wrote:
Harper4Ferry? wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:Love to have Windler on the floor, not get a shot, and watch Dotson take a 37 footer.

Dotson is not an NBA player. At least not as a ball handler at all. He keeps picking up his dribble at 35 feet out. It's unnerving.
He had one good game and he became the backup QB on this forum.

He definitely played well in binges early in the season but whenever he tries to do too much with the ball problems start. He also was shooting really well from deep when most of the team wasn't. I think in a 2-3 offensive role off ball hes serviceable as a end of rotation player.
SUNDOWN BRINGS A WELCOME CHANGE TO EVERYTHING THAT'S HIDING
Revenged25
Analyst
And1: 1,002

Post#23 » by Revenged25 » Thu Mar 4, 2021 1:08 pm

Stillwater wrote:Offense looked a lot better in first half which doesnt sit well with my takes on DG of late but way too many turnovers as well in the first and I am surprised they were even in it the way they played in the 3rd. Dotson really dropped off from his short run when DG and Sexton were out. I also dont like him trying to run the sets. Not a good enough ball handler to do that. Anyway gonna be a long time with no Cavs games. Glad Wade got some run and did well, also glad to see this team showing some fight in the last few games going into this break.
Overall the first half of the season worked out in the win column about where most of us expected...but the sure teased us early on with the defense they played before the Nance injury.
I am expecting a better record in the 2nd half of the season as they push for a play in spot. But would also not be surprised if they make enough moves that chemistry drops back into high lottery range pretty easily.
Should be interesting but tbh I would rather they picked at 15-18 and made the playoffs and drafted a win now player if they cant get a top 3 or 4 pick for Kuminga, or Cunningham. Although Mobley might seem redundant with JFro he could be the best big in the draft with a 40" vert and a 7'5" ws/ I mean if he can shoot it well enough to think he can at a higher volume, having him and JFro would make this front court unstoppable. But picks in that 5-10 range are probably forcing upside picks over proven floor types so you may not get anyone matching the rebuild timeline without overpicking for need imo. Or they can just go for another year of develop on the fly

I think it's less the take on DG and more the fact that outside of Sexton and DG there isn't anyone on the roster that can really be the primary ballhandler.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#24 » by jbk1234 » Thu Mar 4, 2021 5:09 pm

Revenged25 wrote:
Stillwater wrote:Offense looked a lot better in first half which doesnt sit well with my takes on DG of late but way too many turnovers as well in the first and I am surprised they were even in it the way they played in the 3rd. Dotson really dropped off from his short run when DG and Sexton were out. I also dont like him trying to run the sets. Not a good enough ball handler to do that. Anyway gonna be a long time with no Cavs games. Glad Wade got some run and did well, also glad to see this team showing some fight in the last few games going into this break.
Overall the first half of the season worked out in the win column about where most of us expected...but the sure teased us early on with the defense they played before the Nance injury.
I am expecting a better record in the 2nd half of the season as they push for a play in spot. But would also not be surprised if they make enough moves that chemistry drops back into high lottery range pretty easily.
Should be interesting but tbh I would rather they picked at 15-18 and made the playoffs and drafted a win now player if they cant get a top 3 or 4 pick for Kuminga, or Cunningham. Although Mobley might seem redundant with JFro he could be the best big in the draft with a 40" vert and a 7'5" ws/ I mean if he can shoot it well enough to think he can at a higher volume, having him and JFro would make this front court unstoppable. But picks in that 5-10 range are probably forcing upside picks over proven floor types so you may not get anyone matching the rebuild timeline without overpicking for need imo. Or they can just go for another year of develop on the fly

I think it's less the take on DG and more the fact that outside of Sexton and DG there isn't anyone on the roster that can really be the primary ballhandler.

I mean Sexton was on the floor the last three minutes, so....
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
Harper4Ferry?
Starter
And1: 78

Post#25 » by Harper4Ferry? » Thu Mar 4, 2021 7:47 pm

It's not like the G-League isn't littered with a bunch of tryhard 5'10" PGs that would run through a wall for NBA PT. Go find one.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#26 » by jbk1234 » Thu Mar 4, 2021 7:54 pm

Harper4Ferry? wrote:It's not like the G-League isn't littered with a bunch of tryhard 5'10" PGs that would run through a wall for NBA PT. Go find one.

The Jazz cut Shaquille. I'd like the Cavs to give him a look.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Revenged25
Analyst
And1: 1,002

Post#27 » by Revenged25 » Thu Mar 4, 2021 8:05 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
Revenged25 wrote:

And a lot of that time was Dotson turning the ball over or missing a shot as soon as it was in his hands.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#28 » by jbk1234 » Thu Mar 4, 2021 8:09 pm

Revenged25 wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:
Revenged25 wrote:

And a lot of that time was Dotson turning the ball over or missing a shot as soon as it was in his hands.

I'm half pissed that we're heading into the all star break tbh. I'd like to see about four or five more games with Sexton as the primary ball handler to close them out so we can put to rest the notion that it's a viable option.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Stillwater
RealGM
And1: 3,655

Post#29 » by Stillwater » Thu Mar 4, 2021 9:52 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
Revenged25 wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:

I'm half pissed that we're heading into the all star break tbh. I'd like to see about four or five more games with Sexton as the primary ball handler to close them out so we can put to rest the notion that it's a viable option.

You mean like in the first half of the same game? he had ten dimes with DG on the floor. DG looked better in that role( a reduced ball handling one) Having DG as the secondary creator is far more useful than moving Dotson into the role pushing Sexton back to his normal scoring role like in the 3rd or letting Cedi run around like a headless chicken choking any rhythm. The biggest problem imo was JBB clearly decided without DG available in the 2nd half it made more sense to let Dotson take a lead guard role with his crap handles instead of seeing if Sexton could keep it going because if he could then he would have made it harder for the front office to use the contrast between 1st and 2nd halves as DG trade incentive :D
the only thing we would have seen is more of the same if they need Sexton to go get his instead of playing free where he can make plays from the point sos
SUNDOWN BRINGS A WELCOME CHANGE TO EVERYTHING THAT'S HIDING
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#30 » by jbk1234 » Thu Mar 4, 2021 10:11 pm

Stillwater wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:
Revenged25 wrote:

You mean like in the first half of the same game? he had ten dimes with DG on the floor. DG looked better in that role( a reduced ball handling one) Having DG as the secondary creator is far more useful than moving Dotson into the role pushing Sexton back to his normal scoring role like in the 3rd or letting Cedi run around like a headless chicken choking any rhythm. The biggest problem imo was JBB clearly decided without DG available in the 2nd half it made more sense to let Dotson take a lead guard role with his crap handles instead of seeing if Sexton could keep it going because if he could then he would have made it harder for the front office to use the contrast between 1st and 2nd halves as DG trade incentive :D
the only thing we would have seen is more of the same if they need Sexton to go get his instead of playing free where he can make plays from the point sos

The last four or five minutes is when every team in the NBA plays defense full on. The only time that's not the case is when one team is up really big. I'd rather give away four or five more games with Sexton as the primary ball handler this season than pretend that's an option, once again, next year.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
JonFromVA
RealGM
And1: 4,382

Post#31 » by JonFromVA » Fri Mar 5, 2021 2:12 am

Stillwater wrote:Whatever that was DG tweaked must have been nothing or the reports are waiting until game time either way if it was serious he would have been listed as out already imo.
Maybe he will just unleash hell if JBB green lights DG to shoot 20+ shots from the logo to earn his ribbons when they start dropping then maybe they can draw the defense off Sexton and out of the paint otherwise its JFro vs 2 bigs all night

I think you got your answer when he took a bump and had to leave the game. Until then? He seemed fine other than the turnovers and his jumper looked good which you'd think would suffer if he had a twinge.

It unfortunately can be the type of injury that can linger a long time and be easily aggravated if not left alone and allowed time to heal.
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#32 » by JonFromVA » Fri Mar 5, 2021 2:19 am

jbk1234 wrote:Sucks for K. Love that he's probably a $30M bench player after this game. Wade is the first player to have any type of synergy with Sexton since Love went down, and that's what I've been waiting for.

I like how Dean doesn't just stick to his spot in the corner, but rotates around to create more separation from his man as the play develops. Hopefully the guards realize he's doing this .. it's not the sort of thing that'd work for LeBron who prefers his spacers to stay put so his no-look passes don't go shooting in to the stands.
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#33 » by JonFromVA » Fri Mar 5, 2021 4:15 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
Revenged25 wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:

That wouldn't be a fair experiment. We minimally need a viable backup PG and some play-making from elsewhere in the lineup like Nance and Love.

Also it's to the benefit of both players to be playing with someone else who can handle, create, and score; and currently the best option to get that done with Exum hurt and traded is for them to be playing with each other.

Speaking of experiments, our Allen/Wade front-court held up nicely .vs. Sabonis/Turner, and thanks to Wade hitting his 3's the efficiency battle definitely swung our way with our starting front court scoring an amazing 34 pts on 16 shots and theirs scoring a terrific 30 pts on 20 shots.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#34 » by jbk1234 » Fri Mar 5, 2021 4:20 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:
Revenged25 wrote:

That wouldn't be a fair experiment. We minimally need a viable backup PG and some play-making from elsewhere in the lineup like Nance and Love.

Also it's to the benefit of both players to be playing with someone else who can handle, create, and score; and currently the best option to get that done with Exum hurt and traded is for them to be playing with each other.

Speaking of experiments, our Allen/Wade front-court held up nicely .vs. Sabonis/Turner, and thanks to Wade hitting his 3's the efficiency battle definitely swung our way with our starting front court scoring an amazing 34 pts on 16 shots and theirs scoring a terrific 30 pts on 20 shots.

Windler got only 4 shots in 21 minutes against the Pacers with Sexton as the primary ball handler.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#35 » by JonFromVA » Fri Mar 5, 2021 6:10 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:

Windler got only 4 shots in 21 minutes against the Pacers with Sexton as the primary ball handler.

Windler only got 4 shots a few games ago when he went 4 for 4.

It would be nice if we ran some plays besides spamming P&R's, or attack-swing, attack-swing.

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers