Moderator: ijspeelman

Stillwater
RealGM
And1: 3,655

Re: Game 44 : Cleveland Cavaliers (16-27) @ Chicago Bulls (19-23) - 8:00PM 

Post#21 » by Stillwater » Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:50 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
Stillwater wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:White just isn't very good on either side of the ball. He's a combo guard off the bench.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using RealGM mobile app

he is easily good enough to be a 1st guard off the bench player as is on a good team let alone the Cavs in his 2nd season but I think it is absolutely based on poor fit on that CHI roster that he is hated so much and considered not that good. He is good at a lot of things offensively that are being wasted
I mean he can't run an offense, at all, isn't a particularly efficient scorer, and is a poor defender. More importantly, the Bulls aren't seeing the hoped for improvement in these areas despite providing him with more opportunities. He's had the benefit of playing alongside a floor spacer like Lauri and a first option like LaVine. That's a pretty good situation for the third option guy to be in.

Maybe. I think he has 1st option ability or at minimum 2nd option if your first option is a damn good playmaker but yeah he is not great at running a team nor is anyone on this roster he is a scorer and is best with the ball in his hands not off ball yet he does a good job of making the right pass on avg rebounds well and has upside defensively same as most meh defenders that are primarily drafted as offensive prospects. i dont actually like him enough to trade anyone who has a potential here for him but I would have been fine with moving Cedi for him or someone similar too him.
At the end of it they did what most expected by getting a little something but nothing great at the deadline and tbh I think a ton of the fans of this team are confused about why they even traded for Drummond for example only to have to buy him out and there is alot of buzz about Koby being on ice. I personally am not interested in firing him and think he should have to finish what he started and if then he has failed completely at least he will never work in the league again as opposed to fn up some other orgs rebuild as so many seem to think he has done.
I am on the fence about it because I understand rebuilds take a long ass time when you are not lucky in the draft or when you have to make long term picks etc
SUNDOWN BRINGS A WELCOME CHANGE TO EVERYTHING THAT'S HIDING
JonFromVA
RealGM
And1: 4,390

Post#22 » by JonFromVA » Fri Mar 26, 2021 3:52 pm

Stillwater wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:
Stillwater wrote:he is easily good enough to be a 1st guard off the bench player as is on a good team let alone the Cavs in his 2nd season but I think it is absolutely based on poor fit on that CHI roster that he is hated so much and considered not that good. He is good at a lot of things offensively that are being wasted
I mean he can't run an offense, at all, isn't a particularly efficient scorer, and is a poor defender. More importantly, the Bulls aren't seeing the hoped for improvement in these areas despite providing him with more opportunities. He's had the benefit of playing alongside a floor spacer like Lauri and a first option like LaVine. That's a pretty good situation for the third option guy to be in.

Maybe. I think he has 1st option ability or at minimum 2nd option if your first option is a damn good playmaker but yeah he is not great at running a team nor is anyone on this roster he is a scorer and is best with the ball in his hands not off ball yet he does a good job of making the right pass on avg rebounds well and has upside defensively same as most meh defenders that are primarily drafted as offensive prospects. i dont actually like him enough to trade anyone who has a potential here for him but I would have been fine with moving Cedi for him or someone similar too him.
At the end of it they did what most expected by getting a little something but nothing great at the deadline and tbh I think a ton of the fans of this team are confused about why they even traded for Drummond for example only to have to buy him out and there is alot of buzz about Koby being on ice. I personally am not interested in firing him and think he should have to finish what he started and if then he has failed completely at least he will never work in the league again as opposed to fn up some other orgs rebuild as so many seem to think he has done.
I am on the fence about it because I understand rebuilds take a long ass time when you are not lucky in the draft or when you have to make long term picks etc

Sometimes you have to look at a 21 year old through a narrow prism and hope the bad parts of the player's game will go away, and the good parts will happen more often - and then try to develop those areas.

Coby White's per36 is currently sitting at 17/5/5, and he's flashed some big scoring, assist, and rebound games. So, there's hope for the kid, not that I by an means regret taking Garland who's clearly a more advanced ball handler and play-maker.

Stillwater's idea of making Altman sink or swim based on his choices is pretty funny, but it's not really Koby's fault that Dan couldn't make nice with Griff and pushed Altman in to the GM seat to be his puppet. He's learning-on-the-fly.
Stillwater
RealGM
And1: 3,655

Post#23 » by Stillwater » Fri Mar 26, 2021 5:12 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
Stillwater wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:I mean he can't run an offense, at all, isn't a particularly efficient scorer, and is a poor defender. More importantly, the Bulls aren't seeing the hoped for improvement in these areas despite providing him with more opportunities. He's had the benefit of playing alongside a floor spacer like Lauri and a first option like LaVine. That's a pretty good situation for the third option guy to be in.

Sometimes you have to look at a 21 year old through a narrow prism and hope the bad parts of the player's game will go away, and the good parts will happen more often - and then try to develop those areas.

Coby White's per36 is currently sitting at 17/5/5, and he's flashed some big scoring, assist, and rebound games. So, there's hope for the kid, not that I by an means regret taking Garland who's clearly a more advanced ball handler and play-maker.

Stillwater's idea of making Altman sink or swim based on his choices is pretty funny, but it's not really Koby's fault that Dan couldn't make nice with Griff and pushed Altman in to the GM seat to be his puppet. He's learning-on-the-fly.

I am not sure how you thought this was a conversation about who they drafted and who the Bulls picked. It was not.
White has less flaws as DG though if you want to go there
SUNDOWN BRINGS A WELCOME CHANGE TO EVERYTHING THAT'S HIDING
JonFromVA
RealGM
And1: 4,390

Post#24 » by JonFromVA » Fri Mar 26, 2021 6:39 pm

Stillwater wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
Stillwater wrote:Maybe. I think he has 1st option ability or at minimum 2nd option if your first option is a damn good playmaker but yeah he is not great at running a team nor is anyone on this roster he is a scorer and is best with the ball in his hands not off ball yet he does a good job of making the right pass on avg rebounds well and has upside defensively same as most meh defenders that are primarily drafted as offensive prospects. i dont actually like him enough to trade anyone who has a potential here for him but I would have been fine with moving Cedi for him or someone similar too him.

I am not sure how you thought this was a conversation about who they drafted and who the Bulls picked. It was not.

I'm pretty sure the discussion was regarding Coby White, especially since I brought him up in the first place.

And if by "less flaws" you meant "taller", then you nailed it ... well ... give or take the fact that their wingspans and weight are nearly identical.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,156

Post#25 » by jbk1234 » Fri Mar 26, 2021 7:33 pm

Stillwater wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
Stillwater wrote:Maybe. I think he has 1st option ability or at minimum 2nd option if your first option is a damn good playmaker but yeah he is not great at running a team nor is anyone on this roster he is a scorer and is best with the ball in his hands not off ball yet he does a good job of making the right pass on avg rebounds well and has upside defensively same as most meh defenders that are primarily drafted as offensive prospects. i dont actually like him enough to trade anyone who has a potential here for him but I would have been fine with moving Cedi for him or someone similar too him.

Lol, no.

cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers