Stillwater
RealGM
And1: 3,655

Re: Game 50 : Cleveland Cavaliers (17-32) @ San Antonio Spurs (24-23) - 7:00PM 

Post#61 » by Stillwater » Wed Apr 7, 2021 11:48 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
Stillwater wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
lol, I wish I could get you to look at stats, because when I do ... my conclusion is that Garland's scoring at the rim is much closer to Kyrie-level (that is after he started trying to avoid contact) than you think, and we need to take in to consideration that Garland is rarely assisted on those attempts.

What the numbers do indicate is he needs to cut down on those floaters outside of 3ft, and maybe, just maybe the Spurs game is an indication he's going to start cutting that out of his game and focus on layups and 3pters.

Bringing up Delly as a comparison point is 1000% hyperbole (much like using 1000%).

he shoots floaters because as a rule is not able to finish above the rim same as the unathletic Delly.
athletic limitations require masterful glass english or maybe he can just get cheap fouls and earn it at
the stripe... he needs to take and make those 3s with defenders not in his face every time they are not in his face for the impact of his passing to be consistent. Does that and he can keep his job.

In the Spurs games he was manipulating the rim protector so he could just layup the ball. Kyrie-like circus shots are not necessary for a player and/or a team that knows how to create open lanes.

not necessary is not an excuse for lack of skill either. He neither possesses the explosiveness nor the finishing ability to ever let go of that floater imo even if he does surprise some people occasionally with stuff not in the scouting report.
I am all for DG proving me wrong if he has some hidden skill that he has been keeping it under wraps or something, but one game taking advantage of a team caught off guard is nothing to write home about. He needs to do it consistently immediately imo. Odds he does from my vantage point are longshot odds at best
SUNDOWN BRINGS A WELCOME CHANGE TO EVERYTHING THAT'S HIDING
JonFromVA
RealGM
And1: 4,371

Post#62 » by JonFromVA » Thu Apr 8, 2021 1:30 am

Stillwater wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
Stillwater wrote:he shoots floaters because as a rule is not able to finish above the rim same as the unathletic Delly.
athletic limitations require masterful glass english or maybe he can just get cheap fouls and earn it at
the stripe... he needs to take and make those 3s with defenders not in his face every time they are not in his face for the impact of his passing to be consistent. Does that and he can keep his job.

In the Spurs games he was manipulating the rim protector so he could just layup the ball. Kyrie-like circus shots are not necessary for a player and/or a team that knows how to create open lanes.

not necessary is not an excuse for lack of skill either. He neither possesses the explosiveness nor the finishing ability to ever let go of that floater imo even if he does surprise some people occasionally with stuff not in the scouting report.
I am all for DG proving me wrong if he has some hidden skill that he has been keeping it under wraps or something, but one game taking advantage of a team caught off guard is nothing to write home about. He needs to do it consistently immediately imo. Odds he does from my vantage point are longshot odds at best

The "secret skill" is called floor spacing. Its drastically different trying to score .vs. a packed paint .vs. a lone help defender shifting over.

I'd suggest you watch the game, but you'd still just dismiss it as a fluke rather than a sign of what will be.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#63 » by Stillwater » Thu Apr 8, 2021 2:54 am

JonFromVA wrote:
Stillwater wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:

The "secret skill" is called floor spacing. Its drastically different trying to score .vs. a packed paint .vs. a lone help defender shifting over.

I'd suggest you watch the game, but you'd still just dismiss it as a fluke rather than a sign of what will be.

All I am saying is it wont last esp if Love gets hurt again
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,083

Post#64 » by jbk1234 » Thu Apr 8, 2021 5:12 am

JonFromVA wrote:
Stillwater wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:

Doncic isn't explosive. CP3 isn't explosive. You overrate athleticism as an attribute.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using RealGM mobile app
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#65 » by JonFromVA » Thu Apr 8, 2021 3:20 pm

Stillwater wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
Stillwater wrote:not necessary is not an excuse for lack of skill either. He neither possesses the explosiveness nor the finishing ability to ever let go of that floater imo even if he does surprise some people occasionally with stuff not in the scouting report.

All I am saying is it wont last esp if Love gets hurt again

That's just one of Koby's many challenges with roster construction and player development.
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#66 » by JonFromVA » Thu Apr 8, 2021 3:54 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
Stillwater wrote:not necessary is not an excuse for lack of skill either. He neither possesses the explosiveness nor the finishing ability to ever let go of that floater imo even if he does surprise some people occasionally with stuff not in the scouting report.

Doncic isn't explosive. CP3 isn't explosive. You overrate athleticism as an attribute.

Yep, while opposing announcers are salivating over the abilities of our young/raw players, their team is usually out-executing/out-smarting/out-experiencing them.

Chris Paul was considered one of the quickest guards in the league before Wall, Rose, and Westbrook came along. He's still one of the best PG's in the league while Rose/Wall and even Westbrook have been marginalized because they didn't improve their abilities to run a team as their athleticism fell off due to injuries/age.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#67 » by Stillwater » Thu Apr 8, 2021 5:17 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:

Yep, while opposing announcers are salivating over the abilities of our young/raw players, their team is usually out-executing/out-smarting/out-experiencing them.

Chris Paul was considered one of the quickest guards in the league before Wall, Rose, and Westbrook came along. He's still one of the best PG's in the league while Rose/Wall and even Westbrook have been marginalized because they didn't improve their abilities to run a team as their athleticism fell off due to injuries/age.

Cp3 is a weird comp since hes a high level defender . Much higher iq passer too... but he hasnt won anything in his long career despite being an allstar passer and injury prone guard so thats ok as a projection i guess lol
Now we are talking about longevity? Give me a break
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#68 » by JonFromVA » Thu Apr 8, 2021 5:36 pm

Stillwater wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:Doncic isn't explosive. CP3 isn't explosive. You overrate athleticism as an attribute.

Cp3 is a weird comp since hes a high level defender . Much higher iq passer too... but he hasnt won anything in his long career despite being an allstar passer and injury prone guard so thats ok as a projection i guess lol

Cp3 was not brought up as a "comp".
LivingLegend
Head Coach
And1: 7,745

Post#69 » by LivingLegend » Thu Apr 8, 2021 6:21 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
Stillwater wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:

We need to talk about what really matters. How many years is dumping KPJ for nothing going to set this Cavs team back? 3 years? 5 years?

Kid just had 20/9/8 the other night and game winning block on defense last night.

I know I know I know its over and he threw soup and had some weed on him. I know. It is just HORRIBLE that he is not on this team as apart of this core.

Can you imagine if KPJ and Drummond were still on this team and Kevin Love was healthy for the entire year? GRRRR

If the Cavs just did nothing, simply nothing with their roster the entire year we would have a helluva team right now. All they had to do was nothing. Make zero moves. Let the roster be, and the Cavs would most likely be in a playoff spot right now with a bright bright future.
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#70 » by JonFromVA » Thu Apr 8, 2021 7:06 pm

LivingLegend wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
Stillwater wrote:Cp3 is a weird comp since hes a high level defender . Much higher iq passer too... but he hasnt won anything in his long career despite being an allstar passer and injury prone guard so thats ok as a projection i guess lol

We need to talk about what really matters. How many years is dumping KPJ for nothing going to set this Cavs team back? 3 years? 5 years?

Kid just had 20/9/8 the other night and game winning block on defense last night.

I know I know I know its over and he threw soup and had some weed on him. I know. It is just HORRIBLE that he is not on this team as apart of this core.

Can you imagine if KPJ and Drummond were still on this team and Kevin Love was healthy for the entire year? GRRRR

If the Cavs just did nothing, simply nothing with their roster the entire year we would have a helluva team right now. All they had to do was nothing. Make zero moves. Let the roster be, and the Cavs would most likely be in a playoff spot right now with a bright bright future.

Guys who are no longer on the team don't matter much at all. Maybe KPJ can hurt Houston's lottery odds? That'd be helpful.

Altman, Bickerstaff, Gilbert, etc, are certainly fair game but my take away is that maybe they need to dial back on some of their risk taking and stay away from the potential land mines like KPJ and Drummond because the set backs from dealing with them rather than putting our efforts in to moves more productive for the team do have a cost

But are you suggesting you'd rather have Drummond than Allen moving forward?
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#71 » by Stillwater » Thu Apr 8, 2021 7:19 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
Stillwater wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:

Dont mention CP3 ever again then when talking about DG... smh
The problem with reliance on a player like DG being able to score inside 3' only when there is spacing is the pass is expected and the floater is not a high enough % to worry about...but the explosion to the rim from that gather makes the player 1000% more of a threat
& unless he has a surgically installed pogo he aint bringing that to the table
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#72 » by JonFromVA » Thu Apr 8, 2021 7:40 pm

Stillwater wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
Stillwater wrote:Cp3 is a weird comp since hes a high level defender . Much higher iq passer too... but he hasnt won anything in his long career despite being an allstar passer and injury prone guard so thats ok as a projection i guess lol

The problem with reliance on a player like DG being able to score inside 3' only when there is spacing is the pass is expected and the floater is not a high enough % to worry about...but the explosion to the rim from that gather makes the player 1000% more of a threat

How dare you. Darius Garland is 500x the player that Chris Paul ever was or ever will be. He has court vision, moves, and ability that Paul dreams about at night. Garland also has pogo stick legs, but chooses not to use them so as not to embarrass your boy Sexton.

There you go ... now at least your next reply will make sense.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#73 » by Stillwater » Thu Apr 8, 2021 9:39 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
Stillwater wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:

How dare you. Darius Garland is 500x the player that Chris Paul ever was or ever will be. He has court vision, moves, and ability that Paul dreams about at night. Garland also has pogo stick legs, but chooses not to use them so as not to embarrass your boy Sexton.

The amount of excitement you have as if DG has validated himself against a tanker is laughable.
You don't like my sarcasm for your weak takes about DG being CP3 and then backing down from it
click ignore
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#74 » by JonFromVA » Thu Apr 8, 2021 9:56 pm

Stillwater wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
Stillwater wrote:Dont mention CP3 ever again then when talking about DG... smh

The amount of excitement you have as if DG has validated himself against a tanker is laughable.
You don't like my sarcasm for your weak takes about DG being CP3 and then backing down from it
click ignore

I say a couple nice things about Garland in this thread (about a game you didn't even watch) and a dozen nice things about Sexton ... and that's your take? :lol:

Your inability to comprehend what other people write is too spellbinding to put you on ignore.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#75 » by Stillwater » Thu Apr 8, 2021 10:12 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
Stillwater wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:

click ignore

I say a couple nice things about Garland in this thread (about a game you didn't even watch) and a dozen nice things about Sexton ... and that's your take? :lol:

Your inability to comprehend what other people write is too spellbinding to put you on ignore.

I knew exactly what you were saying and I have been chipping divots that fly over your head daily.
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#76 » by JonFromVA » Thu Apr 8, 2021 10:16 pm

Stillwater wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
Stillwater wrote:The amount of excitement you have as if DG has validated himself against a tanker is laughable.
click ignore

I knew exactly what you were saying and I have been chipping divots that fly over your head daily.

Yes, I believe you believe you believe that. In fact you seemingly know what I'm saying better than I know what I'm saying. You might as well just start writing my replies for me and save me the bother.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#77 » by Stillwater » Thu Apr 8, 2021 10:19 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
Stillwater wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:

Yes, I believe you believe you believe that. In fact you seemingly know what I'm saying better than I know what I'm saying. You might as well just start writing my replies for me and save me the bother.

I already am
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#78 » by JonFromVA » Thu Apr 8, 2021 10:22 pm

Stillwater wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
Stillwater wrote:I knew exactly what you were saying and I have been chipping divots that fly over your head daily.

I already am

Then do a better job.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,083

Post#79 » by jbk1234 » Fri Apr 9, 2021 1:18 pm

LivingLegend wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:

I'd much rather have Allen than Drummond in the long run. Hartenstein looks like a real steal. Those are at least two moves I'm happy the Cavs made. I'm really sick of talking about KPJ as the Cavs gave that young man plenty of chances and his issues were far more serious than his apologists want to admit. That said, maybe everyone should sit back and wait to see how successful the Rockets are building around him as the main guy. He's had some good games. So have Sexton and Garland. It takes a lot more than that to become the main guy on a winning team.

The players get a say in how things go down. You want to blame the Cavs for it, have at it, but understand the rest of us are going to need to see Drummond and KPJ do a lot more than just have a few good games.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
LivingLegend
Head Coach
And1: 7,745

Post#80 » by LivingLegend » Fri Apr 9, 2021 2:23 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
LivingLegend wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:

I'd much rather have Allen than Drummond in the long run. Hartenstein looks like a real steal. Those are at least two moves I'm happy the Cavs made. I'm really sick of talking about KPJ as the Cavs gave that young man plenty of chances and his issues were far more serious than his apologists want to admit. That said, maybe everyone should sit back and wait to see how successful the Rockets are building around him as the main guy. He's had some good games. So have Sexton and Garland. It takes a lot more than that to become the main guy on a winning team.

The players get a say in how things go down. You want to blame the Cavs for it, have at it, but understand the rest of us are going to need to see Drummond and KPJ do a lot more than just have a few good games.

I would prefer Drummond not get all upset and realize having a frontcourt of Nance, Love, Allen and Drummond for the next few years would have been lethal. Especially with all of the young guard talent to pair with them.

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers