Forum Mod - Cavs
And1: 24,350

Re: Allen extension 

Post#21 » by jbk1234 » Fri Jun 11, 2021 1:38 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
Mind blowing, huh?

He's still a crappy rebounder, but he had a careeer high 2.4 blocks per game last season when he landed on the 2nd team.
He's such a bad defender it's unbelievable. He basically plays alongside another 7 foot center whose uber athletic, one of the better two-way wings in the NBA, and this year Jrue. If you took those guys away, cement shoes couldn't start.

Remember when Zydrunas Ilgauskus became good on defense?

I'm not going to deep dive on Brook Lopez, but some players can change when asked to change, taught how to change, and given a role they can handle.

On the flip side, it's not hard to make someone who's been good on defense look bad.

I remember when Big Z became passable on defense and it was mostly scheme related. The same holds true for Brook. Brook essentially plays illegal defense on every play but teams lack either the personnel or coaching smarts to exploit it.
It is highly unlikely that the Cavs will agree with your Kevin Love evaluation for the purpose of a trade.
JonFromVA
General Manager
And1: 2,263

Post#22 » by JonFromVA » Fri Jun 11, 2021 1:58 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:He's such a bad defender it's unbelievable. He basically plays alongside another 7 foot center whose uber athletic, one of the better two-way wings in the NBA, and this year Jrue. If you took those guys away, cement shoes couldn't start.

I'm not going to deep dive on Brook Lopez, but some players can change when asked to change, taught how to change, and given a role they can handle.

On the flip side, it's not hard to make someone who's been good on defense look bad.

I remember when Big Z became passable on defense and it was mostly scheme related. The same holds true for Brook. Brook essentially plays illegal defense on every play but teams lack either the personnel or coaching smarts to exploit it.

Z became more than passable, and that scheme required him to show hard out to the 3pt line on P&R's then get back to protect the paint - something everyone thought was hopeless when we first saw him attempt it.

Of course Z still had his limitations and we would play small ball lineups when we needed more speed or to play catch up.

That shouldn't be necessary with Allen unless for some reason we lack shooters at other spots.
jbk1234
Forum Mod - Cavs
Forum Mod - Cavs
And1: 24,350

Post#23 » by jbk1234 » Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:12 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:

Z became more than passable, and that scheme required him to show hard out to the 3pt line on P&R's then get back to protect the paint - something everyone thought was hopeless when we first saw him attempt it.

Of course Z still had his limitations and we would play small ball lineups when we needed more speed or to play catch up.

That shouldn't be necessary with Allen unless for some reason we lack shooters at other spots.

Yeah, I think Allen is the real deal. I'm reading all these stupid click bait articles about how team X, that likely won't even have $20M in cap space, are gonna make a run at him. I'm like please sign him to an $18M per offer sheet. Give him a P.O. and trade kicker. I'm good. I'll overpay on the next contract/extension.
It is highly unlikely that the Cavs will agree with your Kevin Love evaluation for the purpose of a trade.
Revenged25
Starter
And1: 728

Post#24 » by Revenged25 » Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:38 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:

Yeah, I think Allen is the real deal. I'm reading all these stupid click bait articles about how team X, that likely won't even have $20M in cap space, are gonna make a run at him. I'm like please sign him to an $18M per offer sheet. Give him a P.O. and trade kicker. I'm good. I'll overpay on the next contract/extension.

I think 18-20 mil is his actual range, with 22 mil at the top end currently with projections if you really just want it done and not think about it. 25 mil is just a bad deal and should be avoided.
JonFromVA
General Manager
And1: 2,263

Post#25 » by JonFromVA » Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:31 pm

Revenged25 wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:

I think 18-20 mil is his actual range, with 22 mil at the top end currently with projections if you really just want it done and not think about it. 25 mil is just a bad deal and should be avoided.

The devil is always in the details.

Clint Capela got $90M/5 years or $18M/yr, but there's $2M/yr in unlikely incentives, that brings it down to $16M/yr average if he doesn't meet those targets. The first year of the deal paid him just $13.8M.

I imagine we will front load our offer to Allen and/or Sexton knowing we'll have other mouths to feed in the coming years, and Love will eventually come off the books.

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers