2021-22 regular season thread

Moderator: ijspeelman

jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 31,982

Re: 2021-22 regular season thread 

Post#1101 » by jbk1234 » Thu Jan 27, 2022 5:09 pm

Here's the full exchange. I think that we might be getting into K. Perkins on the Celtics territory with Love in that if they do move him, it could be a blow to the locker room. I would not have thought possible at the beginning of this season.
Read on Twitter
?s=20
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
KuruptedCav
Analyst
And1: 1,125

Post#1102 » by KuruptedCav » Thu Jan 27, 2022 11:22 pm

jbk1234 wrote:Here's the full exchange. I think that we might be getting into K. Perkins on the Celtics territory with Love in that if they do move him, it could be a blow to the locker room. I would not have thought possible at the beginning of this season.
Read on Twitter
?s=20

Our very own David Lee!

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1103 » by jbk1234 » Fri Jan 28, 2022 3:50 am

KuruptedCav wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:Here's the full exchange. I think that we might be getting into K. Perkins on the Celtics territory with Love in that if they do move him, it could be a blow to the locker room. I would not have thought possible at the beginning of this season.
Read on Twitter
?s=20

Our very own David Lee!

David Lee gave the Warriors good minutes off the bench in those 2015 Finals.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1104 » by jbk1234 » Wed Feb 2, 2022 4:04 pm

OMG
Read on Twitter
?s=20&t=8Kb8S5agbaxE8FEreD3PuQ
cbosh4mvp wrote:
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1105 » by jbk1234 » Wed Feb 2, 2022 4:19 pm

Just to be clear, we play the Rockets tonight.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1106 » by jbk1234 » Thu Feb 3, 2022 11:25 pm

RIP Bill Fitch.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1107 » by jbk1234 » Fri Feb 4, 2022 2:28 am

I'm starting to get pissed at Bickerstaff over the entire Windler situation. Trying to role with a Goodwin/Rondo is hard enough, but when you add in Lauri's absence, the points have to come from somewhere and Stevens clearly isn't the answer. If Bickerstaff doesn't even have confidence that Windler can guard a guy like Matthews, I question why he's still on the roster. I feel like the front office and he should have a conversation about it, because even if he's no longer in the long-term plans, DNP's and garbage time minutes aren't going to help his trade value.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
LivingLegend
Head Coach
And1: 7,745

Post#1108 » by LivingLegend » Fri Feb 4, 2022 6:14 am

jbk1234 wrote:I'm starting to get pissed at Bickerstaff over the entire Windler situation. Trying to role with a Goodwin/Rondo is hard enough, but when you add in Lauri's absence, the points have to come from somewhere and Stevens clearly isn't the answer. If Bickerstaff doesn't even have confidence that Windler can guard a guy like Matthews, I question why he's still on the roster. I feel like the front office and he should have a conversation about it, because even if he's no longer in the long-term plans, DNP's and garbage time minutes aren't going to help his trade value.

Thannnkk youuuu. It was annoying in the beginning of the year, but now that 1/2 the roster is Injured and he STILL can't get PT over freaking G-Leafue call ups is infuriating.

How do you watch the Cavs play basketball without Garland and come to the conclusion that we need less spacing and shooters on the floor. Literally Ed Davis got mins off the bench before windler did.

What the hell does this staff know that we don't and how has no media member asked this question yet in a presser.
KuruptedCav
Analyst

Post#1109 » by KuruptedCav » Fri Feb 4, 2022 1:44 pm

jbk1234 wrote:I'm starting to get pissed at Bickerstaff over the entire Windler situation. Trying to role with a Goodwin/Rondo is hard enough, but when you add in Lauri's absence, the points have to come from somewhere and Stevens clearly isn't the answer. If Bickerstaff doesn't even have confidence that Windler can guard a guy like Matthews, I question why he's still on the roster. I feel like the front office and he should have a conversation about it, because even if he's no longer in the long-term plans, DNP's and garbage time minutes aren't going to help his trade value.

Dylan Windler is stuck in his own head. He plays passively and full of hesitation. Consider that he’s the Cavs second best shooter, but when he plays, he doesn’t shoot. Sort the Cavs per-36 or per-100 by FGAs and you find a shooter at the bottom.

Then you dig into what he does with the ball instead and the advanced tracking stats show a guy who passes, a LOT, and often not the last pass before the shot. He gets a good number of assists, but the shooting on those assists is below average with it generally landing in the PG’s hands to reset the offense.

On the shots he does take, his FG% decreases with how open he is. Looking at the shot tracking numbers, he doesn’t have a defender within 4 feet of him on >60% of his shots.

On defense, it’s the same thing. He makes up for decision making with “hustle.” His average defensive speed is solid, his rebounding is good for a guard, and holding his man to a 41% FG% is impressive, even against second unit players. But, it comes with a high foul rate. Indicating that despite the hustle, he’s playing behind the play.

And it probably infuriates JBB seeing this in games when in practice he’s probably assertive and knocking down shots left and right and then when he gets run, he just kind of disappears.

Stop thinking, catch/shoot, make/miss, be assertive, the next shot is going in, do it again. Until he starts operating more like Cedi and Lauri and less like Isaac Okoro on offense; I’m not sure there is a consistent role for him.

jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1110 » by jbk1234 » Fri Feb 4, 2022 3:09 pm

KuruptedCav wrote:

Dylan Windler is stuck in his own head. He plays passively and full of hesitation. Consider that he’s the Cavs second best shooter, but when he plays, he doesn’t shoot. Sort the Cavs per-36 or per-100 by FGAs and you find a shooter at the bottom.

Then you dig into what he does with the ball instead and the advanced tracking stats show a guy who passes, a LOT, and often not the last pass before the shot. He gets a good number of assists, but the shooting on those assists is below average with it generally landing in the PG’s hands to reset the offense.

On the shots he does take, his FG% decreases with how open he is. Looking at the shot tracking numbers, he doesn’t have a defender within 4 feet of him on >60% of his shots.

On defense, it’s the same thing. He makes up for decision making with “hustle.” His average defensive speed is solid, his rebounding is good for a guard, and holding his man to a 41% FG% is impressive, even against second unit players. But, it comes with a high foul rate. Indicating that despite the hustle, he’s playing behind the play.

And it probably infuriates JBB seeing this in games when in practice he’s probably assertive and knocking down shots left and right and then when he gets run, he just kind of disappears.

Stop thinking, catch/shoot, make/miss, be assertive, the next shot is going in, do it again. Until he starts operating more like Cedi and Lauri and less like Isaac Okoro on offense; I’m not sure there is a consistent role for him.

Yanking a guy off the floor for the slightest disappointment, in extremely small sample sizes, is sure to do wonders for his confidence. At the end of the day, if he's not going to get run when the Cavs desperately need his offense, why is he still taking up a roster spot?
cbosh4mvp wrote:
JonFromVA
RealGM
And1: 4,351

Post#1111 » by JonFromVA » Fri Feb 4, 2022 3:28 pm

KuruptedCav wrote:

Terrific analysis, the question we all ponder is whether that could all be fixed if he could get some consistent minutes without threat of being benched for days if he makes a mistake.

JBB and the team want to win games, though, and that's something new for all of us to get used to.

So, there's not much Dylan can do other than try to string together some good appearances, and even so ... Dean Wade who established he could play decently given minutes is still on a quick hook with JBB. He even got a few starts until he couldn't make a shot. Pangos hasn't seem minutes outside of garbage time in a month. Even Ed Davis didn't seem ready to contribute .vs. Houston when Allen got in foul trouble.

We want to win games, play groups together as much as possible, and keep building team chemistry; but there is most definitely a draw back to not getting bench guys consistent minutes.
KuruptedCav
Analyst

Post#1112 » by KuruptedCav » Fri Feb 4, 2022 3:30 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
KuruptedCav wrote:

Yanking a guy off the floor for the slightest disappointment, in extremely small sample sizes, is sure to do wonders for his confidence. At the end of the day, if he's not going to get run when the Cavs desperately need his offense, why is he still taking up a roster spot?

When they picked up his option, everyone thought this would be a player development year. Instead, they are competing.

Now a non-rotation player has a guaranteed contract and is owed $4 million next year that they don’t want to swallow.

KuruptedCav
Analyst

Post#1113 » by KuruptedCav » Fri Feb 4, 2022 6:04 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
KuruptedCav wrote:

Terrific analysis, the question we all ponder is whether that could all be fixed if he could get some consistent minutes without threat of being benched for days if he makes a mistake.

JBB and the team want to win games, though, and that's something new for all of us to get used to.

So, there's not much Dylan can do other than try to string together some good appearances, and even so ... Dean Wade who established he could play decently given minutes is still on a quick hook with JBB. He even got a few starts until he couldn't make a shot. Pangos hasn't seem minutes outside of garbage time in a month. Even Ed Davis didn't seem ready to contribute .vs. Houston when Allen got in foul trouble.

We want to win games, play groups together as much as possible, and keep building team chemistry; but there is most definitely a draw back to not getting bench guys consistent minutes.

No disagreement, though I feel like this shouldn’t be a surprise. Both David Fizdale and Kevin McHale operated similarly.

Looking at the Rockets and Grizz and even how last year and this years rosters started, JBB would prefer 8 30 minute per game players vs 5 30s and 6 15s…

JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#1114 » by JonFromVA » Fri Feb 4, 2022 6:26 pm

KuruptedCav wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
KuruptedCav wrote:Dylan Windler is stuck in his own head. He plays passively and full of hesitation. Consider that he’s the Cavs second best shooter, but when he plays, he doesn’t shoot. Sort the Cavs per-36 or per-100 by FGAs and you find a shooter at the bottom.

No disagreement, though I feel like this shouldn’t be a surprise. Both David Fizdale and Kevin McHale operated similarly.

Looking at the Rockets and Grizz and even how last year and this years rosters started, JBB would prefer 8 30 minute per game players vs 5 30s and 6 15s…

JBB also wants to build some lineup continuity, but injuries make that really hard. The thing is, if he never intends to play an extended roster, Altman will have to try to find some players content to rot on the bench and yet light it up when they're called upon.

Good luck with that ...
toooskies
Analyst
And1: 1,603

Post#1115 » by toooskies » Sat Feb 5, 2022 8:57 pm

Read on Twitter

Looks like somebody wasn't happy with his agent's performance last summer.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1116 » by jbk1234 » Sat Feb 5, 2022 9:06 pm

toooskies wrote:
Read on Twitter

Looks like somebody wasn't happy with his agent's performance last summer.

Yeah, I'm definitely trading him now.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1117 » by jbk1234 » Mon Feb 7, 2022 4:30 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=20&t=YRVc19SZMcqWQHx8fKLqrg
cbosh4mvp wrote:
toooskies
Analyst

Post#1118 » by toooskies » Mon Feb 7, 2022 5:06 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=20&t=YRVc19SZMcqWQHx8fKLqrg

I read the words from this meme like WIll Ferrell and Cheri Oteri were doing the cheerleading sketch on SNL.
toooskies
Analyst

Post#1119 » by toooskies » Wed Feb 9, 2022 3:17 pm

These days you never know what's real or not but... Pangos to Moscow?

https://basketnews.com/news-165659-kevin-pangos-reached-an-agreement-with-cska.html
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#1120 » by JonFromVA » Wed Feb 9, 2022 3:51 pm

toooskies wrote:These days you never know what's real or not but... Pangos to Moscow?

https://basketnews.com/news-165659-kevin-pangos-reached-an-agreement-with-cska.html

I think that ones real ... and has interesting implications for the deadline if his NBA contract is going to be bought out or simply torn up. Minimally it opens up a roster spot for Goodwin or a buy out candidate, but it should also be a lot more tradeable since it won't cost the receiving team a roster spot, salary, or perhaps even a cap hit (not positive on that).

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers