ImageImageImage

2021-22 regular season thread

Moderator: ijspeelman

JonFromVA
RealGM
And1: 4,351

Re: 2021-22 regular season thread 

Post#941 » by JonFromVA » Sat Nov 13, 2021 5:55 pm

cavs4872 wrote:Man, hopefully LBJ comes back for one final hurrah. We have all the pieces and youth for another run.

I'm perfectly fine if his "last hurrah" is a contract he signs before retiring a Cavalier and getting #23 raised.

It's a lot more fun watching this team grow organically without everything being wrapped around one player.
cavs4872
Senior
And1: 242

Post#942 » by cavs4872 » Sun Nov 14, 2021 3:32 am

This team is so much more fun to follow than LeBron's final season (second tenure) here... that team was so frustrating. Ty Lue's lineups were horrible.
Harper4Ferry?
Starter
And1: 78

Post#943 » by Harper4Ferry? » Wed Nov 17, 2021 2:07 pm

From Pelton(summarized)@ Espn
What Evan Mobley's injury means for the Cleveland Cavaliers' surprising start

-Cavs are now deeper above .500 in a season since lebron left
-Mobley back around Jan 1, maybe a week earlier.
-Sexton's treatment could go two ways. One way is they can just trim the part that's injured and can come back in several weeks. Or a complete rebuild of the meniscus could sideline him all of the rest of the season.
-Rubio is critical to this team having any kind of success.
-Cedi is having a nice bounce back season
-another backcourt injury is going to be very bad for this team
-Mobley has skills that are difficult to replace
-one of the most versatile defenders in the league, holding opponents to the 10th worst fg % in the league within 5 feet, Love and Markkanen are not good defenders that close.
-Team will especially struggle when Allen is on the bench. Allen or Mobley have been on the court for 668 of the team's 720 minutes
-upcoming schedule is absolutely brutal. Hopefully the team can stay around .500 while waiting for Mobley to come back.
toooskies
Analyst
And1: 1,603

Post#944 » by toooskies » Wed Nov 17, 2021 9:50 pm

Harper4Ferry? wrote:From Pelton(summarized)@ Espn
What Evan Mobley's injury means for the Cleveland Cavaliers' surprising start

-Cavs are now deeper above .500 in a season since lebron left
-Mobley back around Jan 1, maybe a week earlier.
-Sexton's treatment could go two ways. One way is they can just trim the part that's injured and can come back in several weeks. Or a complete rebuild of the meniscus could sideline him all of the rest of the season.
-Rubio is critical to this team having any kind of success.
-Cedi is having a nice bounce back season
-another backcourt injury is going to be very bad for this team
-Mobley has skills that are difficult to replace
-one of the most versatile defenders in the league, holding opponents to the 10th worst fg % in the league within 5 feet, Love and Markkanen are not good defenders that close.
-Team will especially struggle when Allen is on the bench. Allen or Mobley have been on the court for 668 of the team's 720 minutes
-upcoming schedule is absolutely brutal. Hopefully the team can stay around .500 while waiting for Mobley to come back.

If the timeline is 2-4 weeks, shouldn't Mobley be back on the court closer to Dec 1 than Jan 1? Pelton wasn't reporting any news in that article, just speculating on the team.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 31,982

Post#945 » by jbk1234 » Fri Nov 19, 2021 3:35 pm

We need Allen and Lauri back pronto. Watching a team missing 4/5 of its starting lineup compete hard in losses has been fun and all, but I'd like to get back to winning and I'm growing increasingly concerned about Rubio's minutes at his age.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
toooskies
Analyst

Post#946 » by toooskies » Fri Nov 19, 2021 4:46 pm

jbk1234 wrote:We need Allen and Lauri back pronto. Watching a team missing 4/5 of its starting lineup compete hard in losses has been fun and all, but I'd like to get back to winning and I'm growing increasingly concerned about Rubio's minutes at his age.

No games till Monday, so hopefully they'll be back into the swing of things by then.
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#947 » by JonFromVA » Fri Nov 19, 2021 4:59 pm

jbk1234 wrote:We need Allen and Lauri back pronto. Watching a team missing 4/5 of its starting lineup compete hard in losses has been fun and all, but I'd like to get back to winning and I'm growing increasingly concerned about Rubio's minutes at his age.

We missed Cedi too ... his play has been a big part of our success.

Rubio isn't actually all that old (just turned 31), but JBB does need to to manage minutes better across the board. He didn't even bother to sit Okoro when Steph went out.
LAL1947
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,620

Post#948 » by LAL1947 » Thu Nov 25, 2021 7:44 pm

Not sure where to post this so putting it here. I came into the Cavs forum to see what's the latest on your team/players... and there are just too many game threads dominating the 1st page of this section. It's not very viewer friendly. I think your section would be a lot nicer if there was just 1 stickied match-day thread, with the title being updated for each upcoming game.

2021-22 Matchday Thread: Game 20, Cleveland @ Orlando, 11/28/2021, 8:30 PM EST.

You could even have 2 stickied threads, 1 Match-day Thread and 1 Post-Game Thread, to separate discussion of completed games from the next game. The Post-game thread would have the completed game and result in its title.

2021-22 Post-Game Thread: Game 19, Cleveland vs Phoenix, 11/25/2021, (L 115-120).

In this way, you could have more threads showing on the first page that are discussing players, the FO, trades, the off-season, and other events, questions, polls, or random stuff that Cavs fans wanna talk about.
Revenged25
Analyst
And1: 1,002

Post#949 » by Revenged25 » Fri Nov 26, 2021 2:40 am

LAL1947 wrote:Not sure where to post this so putting it here. I came into the Cavs forum to see what's the latest on your team/players... and there are just too many game threads dominating the 1st page of this section. It's not very viewer friendly. I think your section would be a lot nicer if there was just 1 stickied match-day thread, with the title being updated for each upcoming game.

You could even have 2 stickied threads, 1 Match-day Thread and 1 Post-Game Thread, to separate discussion of completed games from the next game. The Post-game thread would have the completed game and result in its title.

2021-22 Post-Game Thread: Game 19, Cleveland vs Phoenix, 11/25/2021, (L 115-120).

In this way, you could have more threads showing on the first page that are discussing players, the FO, trades, the off-season, and other events, questions, polls, or random stuff that Cavs fans wanna talk about.

I mean with the lack of discussion in other threads it's not like it keeps information from being disseminated.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#950 » by jbk1234 » Fri Nov 26, 2021 3:32 am

LAL1947 wrote:Not sure where to post this so putting it here. I came into the Cavs forum to see what's the latest on your team/players... and there are just too many game threads dominating the 1st page of this section. It's not very viewer friendly. I think your section would be a lot nicer if there was just 1 stickied match-day thread, with the title being updated for each upcoming game.

Well, the regular season is ongoing and unless your team is awful, and especially when the team is outperforming expectations, fans tend to talk about the games being played versus the players they want traded or the people they want fired.

The future is, at least presently, looking bright for the Cavs and it's difficult to see a trade that helps now, without undermining the foundation.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#951 » by JonFromVA » Fri Nov 26, 2021 4:54 pm

I'm not sure we have any control of our game threads, "dulcer" handles that ... but it works for us. You only have to look at 2 pages of content and you can see everything we've discussed going back to June ... :lol:

Someone looking to get an idea of what's going on in general can look in the stickied regular season thread.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#952 » by jbk1234 » Thu Dec 9, 2021 5:35 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=20
cbosh4mvp wrote:
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#953 » by JonFromVA » Thu Dec 9, 2021 6:31 pm

We could start considering which East teams are bad matchups for us and whether there's anything we can do to get past them this season ... but injuries could easily wreck what we've got going on - or give us the edge we need.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#954 » by jbk1234 » Thu Dec 9, 2021 6:41 pm

JonFromVA wrote:We could start considering which East teams are bad matchups for us and whether there's anything we can do to get past them this season ... but injuries could easily wreck what we've got going on - or give us the edge we need.

If we can get as much development out of Mobley and Lauri as humanly possible while still winning games, I'd be very content to let the chips fall where they may.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Revenged25
Analyst

Post#955 » by Revenged25 » Thu Dec 9, 2021 7:17 pm

JonFromVA wrote:We could start considering which East teams are bad matchups for us and whether there's anything we can do to get past them this season ... but injuries could easily wreck what we've got going on - or give us the edge we need.

Basically any team with good size and can prevent the entry passes into Lauri/Mobley are bad match-ups. So a full 76ers team, Bucks, and possibly a healthy Heat team seem like the big ones to me.
toooskies
Analyst

Post#956 » by toooskies » Fri Dec 10, 2021 9:55 pm

jbk1234 wrote:

If we can get as much development out of Mobley and Lauri as humanly possible while still winning games, I'd be very content to let the chips fall where they may.

If we look like we're going to get 50+ wins this season when we get to around the deadline, I'd love to see the front office do more than that.
Revenged25
Analyst

Post#957 » by Revenged25 » Fri Dec 10, 2021 11:20 pm

toooskies wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:

If we look like we're going to get 50+ wins this season when we get to around the deadline, I'd love to see the front office do more than that.

The thing is, this season is just a really bad time for the Cavs to do it due to their available assets. Their only matching contracts are Love and Rubio really, Love is still viewed as a negative contract while Rubio is vital their success. The earliest that they'd be able to have matching contracts that wouldn't require attaching a lot of additional assets or setting the team back would be a S&T involving Sexton in the offseason or using Love as an expiring contract.

On top of that, most available players that would actually make a tangible difference won't be available for Love/Sexton + every draft asset we have. Sure trading Love and some picks for like Hield, or LaVert & Warren etc might make them slightly better but it won't put them over the top. They'd be better off going through this year and then looking to grab someone next year.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#958 » by jbk1234 » Fri Dec 10, 2021 11:53 pm

Revenged25 wrote:
toooskies wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:

The thing is, this season is just a really bad time for the Cavs to do it due to their available assets. Their only matching contracts are Love and Rubio really, Love is still viewed as a negative contract while Rubio is vital their success. The earliest that they'd be able to have matching contracts that wouldn't require attaching a lot of additional assets or setting the team back would be a S&T involving Sexton in the offseason or using Love as an expiring contract.

On top of that, most available players that would actually make a tangible difference won't be available for Love/Sexton + every draft asset we have. Sure trading Love and some picks for like Hield, or LaVert & Warren etc might make them slightly better but it won't put them over the top. They'd be better off going through this year and then looking to grab someone next year.

Yeah, the problem is Warren needs to be under contract for two years with LeVert expiring and it's the other way around. Warren could end up getting a dumb offer elsewhere, which the Cavs might not even get a chance to match, and then you're sitting there with LeVert making $18M per as your trade asset instead of an expiring Love, Sexton, and/or your first.

I think the best play is to let Okoro and Windler develop this season with Mobley and Lauri and then see what's out there this summer. I try to talk myself into a Heild/Barnes for Love/Sexton/protected 1st trade, but I'm not sure the Kings are sellers, and I could really see Heild getting torched defensively in the playoffs.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Revenged25
Analyst

Post#959 » by Revenged25 » Sat Dec 11, 2021 12:57 am

jbk1234 wrote:
Revenged25 wrote:
toooskies wrote:If we look like we're going to get 50+ wins this season when we get to around the deadline, I'd love to see the front office do more than that.

Yeah, the problem is Warren needs to be under contract for two years with LeVert expiring and it's the other way around. Warren could end up getting a dumb offer elsewhere, which the Cavs might not even get a chance to match, and then you're sitting there with LeVert making $18M per as your trade asset instead of an expiring Love, Sexton, and/or your first.

I think the best play is to let Okoro and Windler develop this season with Mobley and Lauri and then see what's out there this summer. I try to talk myself into a Heild/Barnes for Love/Sexton/protected 1st trade, but I'm not sure the Kings are sellers, and I could really see Heild getting torched defensively in the playoffs.

Yeah the best chance for the Cavs to make an upgrade is to try to jump in on a superstar trade again and try to reroute a non-rebuilding piece to them while sending out the necessary assets like they did with Allen.
toooskies
Analyst

Post#960 » by toooskies » Sat Dec 11, 2021 3:19 am

Revenged25 wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:
Revenged25 wrote:

Yeah the best chance for the Cavs to make an upgrade is to try to jump in on a superstar trade again and try to reroute a non-rebuilding piece to them while sending out the necessary assets like they did with Allen.

Duplicating what we did in the Allen trade is going to be nearly impossible. Mostly because we don't have the flexibility to take on a bad salary like Prince's. There isn't a guy making a decent paycheck that we wouldn't have some regret parting with. Even Love is a star in his role.

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers